Making WILD your own (updated)
LD4all » Article Space

#1: Making WILD your own (updated) Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010
    ----
Scroll down for my actual advice on getting WILD to work for you. What you see below is my general commentary on WILD.

WILD, WILD, WILD. That's all dreamers, new or old, can ever seem to think about. Perhaps it's the thought of LD's on command, or maybe the thought of HI and SP that sounds so alluring. Well, whatever the case, almost every new member tries WILD, and almost every new member makes a post along the lines of "help, WILD is not working!"

So why is it not working? They've followed every step; they lay on their backs; they don't move or swallow; they count in their head; they watch for HI and are always prepared for SP. It's all very clear in the tutorials, so why are they failing? Perhaps it's because the tutorial merely presents a basic formula, but it's not one that works for every person. We are all different and our minds all work differently. It only follows that WILD needs to be adapted to our own needs.

Now, anyone who has ever had a reply from me on what technique beginners probably knows that I rarely recommend WILD. There are multiple reasons, but this topic is not about what you should or shouldn't use. The reason I bring this up is because of how discouraging it is to do the same thing every night without success. But don't be discouraged.

Let me dispell this right away: there is no certain way to get instant LD's. All techniques take practice and take time. WILD like any other technique is only a tool, it in itself can't do anything. It's up to you to figure out what tool works for what job and how to properly use that tool. A screwdriver isn't any good if you're trying to use it like a hammer.

So is WILD difficult? No, not once you figure out how to make it work. It's getting it to work that takes time. There is not reason not to try for it other than to keep yourself from losing motivation. Anyone can do it as long as they don't expect instant results.

All of our induction methods are only different ways to do the exact same thing. The real difference between WILD and MILD? One way you program the SC to remind you that you are dreaming before you fall asleep, and the other you constantly remind yourself until you actually are in a dream. That is it. It's no more mysterious, no more powerful than MILD, and really no more complicated.

So let's break down the basic WILD formula. These are the things that have caused people the most grief, so I will try to explain why it is we say to do things and why not to do other things. Remember, everything you read about how to WILD is a basic guideline. Any of it can be changed or adapted if that is what you need.

Sleep paralysis
SP is one of the things that seems to defeat a lot of dreamers. There are frightening stories about the Old Hag, it is difficult to get in to for some and overall is an uncomfortable experience. Why is it a part of WILD?

SP means your either your body is asleep or you are having a false awakening in which you cannot move. Either way, your mind is free to wonder. Use this time to creat your own dream body. Imagine yourself rolling or floating out of bed; just do what you can to move within your mind.

However, you do not have to be in sleep paralysis to successfully WILD. SP might make things easier for some, but it is not a requirement. So many people get obsessed with inducing SP that they don't know what to do once they are there. Also, too many people focus on their body trying to gauge whether or not they are in SP rather than maintaining their concentration. Your goal is an LD, not being frozen in bed.

Lay on your back.
I have read and it has been my personal experience that SP is easier to achieve while on your back. Good. Except that I sleep on my stomach and only occasionally fall asleep on my back. However, I still manage to WILD on my stomach. So is it really necessary?

Sleep in whatever position you find comfortable. It may take some practice before you keep from simply falling asleep, but if you can't sleep on your back easily don't bother. As I said before, SP is not necessary.

Stay perfectly still
There is a good reason for this; you can't fall asleep while moving around. Your mind will send "roll over" signals to see if you are really asleep or not. If you can ignore them your body will fall asleep faster. This does not mean you can't move at all if you need to.

If you're uncomfortable, fix it. If you have an itch, scratch it. If you're in a bad position, for heaven's sake move. The distraction of these things cause more of a disruption than moving ever would.

Don't swallow
No, no, no and no!!! If you need to swallow, swallow! I made this seperate from the previous section because of how prevelant it is. Just don't think about it, that's what the issue is. Don't let anything distract you. If you have to swallow, do it naturally. It's losing concentration that is the biggest factor in failed WILD attempt. If you're thinking "I am dreaming.... but I really need to swallow," that won't get you anywhere

Wake up 5-6 hours after first going to bed
This is probably the best thing to help you achieve an LD, whatever technique you are using. Depending on how fast you fall asleep, you can do a full WBTB, or you can do like me and quickly write in your DJ before going right back to sleep. The reason this is so helpful is because you will go back into REM sleep very quickly. At the beginning of the night, you go into deep sleep, which means you have to unnaturally force a dream to WILD. This takes quite a bit of time and is generally difficult to do.

Count in your head
Counting is good because it helps you focus, but it is not a requirement. I've had more success saying "I'm dreaming" over and over than counting. Heck, why not try to stay focused with a MILD mantra? At the very least you have some back up if the WILD fails.

HI
HI is the leading cause of confusion IMO. All it is is a dream beginning to form. We expect to see random images, but that's not always the case. For me, HI has ranged from random blurs to seeing and hearing my coworkers.

Again, your goal is to LD. Not to see HI. Just let it happen, but don't actively look for it. If you find yourself thinking "oh, is that HI?" then you're probably putting too much focus on it.

Another thing that I think I need to point out is that HI has stages. There seems to be some confusion about what exactly to look for. At first it might be flashes or images like daydreaming and it gets more intense as time goes on. You don't necessarily have to physically "see" it... and in fact you're not. Again, the main thing I wanted to say here was don't put too much focus on it.

WILD is the only technique you need to have LD's every night
Here's the thing, no technique is guaranteed to work 100% of the time. Why limit yourself to just one tool? Make an entire toolbox to have at your disposal depending on what your situation is. Even if you do get WILD working, you should also look in to other techniques like MILD, DEILD and VILD.

There are so many other things I could say, but it all boils down to this: adjust WILD to fit your needs. The tutorials are great, but are generic. Find what works for you. It might take days, weeks or even months, but the benefits are worth the time!


Last edited by Rhewin on Sat 03 Mar, 2012; edited 3 times in total

#2:  Author: DaConceit PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010
    ----
Thanks for this post, Rhewin!! I am very new to this topic, and when I looked at those "WILD rules" stated here on the forum, I felt very uncomfortable about them, because they did not seem logical to me. Just exactly what you said: I cannot sleep on my back, and even if, I could not dream long enough as my wife would give me a knuff as I start snoring then. wink5

Same applies for everything you said.. I also mixed mantras and counting to stay focused, and I even leave my eyes open if forcing my eyelids shut feels uncomfortable. Your eyes close automatically if you fall asleep, but I think having darkness around you helps.

As a result, I had my first feeling of success in WILDing last night. It was not yet an LD, but it started to come out right. This was the second(!) night trying and I simply did it "my way".

By the way, I had another Idea, which seemed to work for me: When certain things make you lucid or keep you lucid, why not "embed" them into the focusing.

Instead of counting I tried to imagine how I look at my hands, how I rub them, and how I swirl around. When I "fall" into a dream, why not in a way that makes it lucid and stable right from the start...

#3:  Author: Beat Doctor PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010
    ----
Thanks a lot, Rhewin. I think this thread helped me atleast a bit to free my mind. grin

#4:  Author: FabioCalcinelli PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010
    ----
Excellent post, thank you Rhewin!

In my personal experience, following those rules (don't move, don't smallow, ecc.) had turned WILD in some kind of medieval torture :D
I'll keep on trying in a smarter way smile

#5:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010
    ----
@DaConceit: Congratulations on almost making it ^^. What you said about images is actually one of the ways I do WILD. It's not quite VILD as you're not incubating the dream, your just focusing on things that help you become lucid. Great insight for a beginner.

@Beat Doctor: Good, I was hoping it would. WILD gets so many people's mind full of garbage that they can't even come near success.

@Fabio: lach1 I like your description. Again, the rules are meant to help you get an idea of what to do, but following them to the letter can be a bit unsavory.

#6:  Author: mattias PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010
    ----
DaConceit wrote:
Instead of counting I tried to imagine how I look at my hands, how I rub them, and how I swirl around.


I've done this many times and it works great. Suddenly I'd start feeling my hands rub and I'd have two pairs of hands, physical and dream ones. From there it's just a little more attention on the dream ones and start imagining other senses slowly and I'm lucid!

And great post, Rhewin. Although I'm sure we'll still see many "I have the swallowing issue" posts We must keep our sanity! nuu

#7:  Author: lbsf1 PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec, 2010
    ----
I have found a good way with WILD if you are having trouble with the start and first part of getting to hi or such. Try just going to sleep have no attempts at WILD just let yourself go to sleep, this gets rid of the swallowing problem for a while. Trust yourself that once you have been lying there for abit remember about the WILD attempt, by this point you will feel more chilled and have this incredibly calm feeling, this I have found helps with WILD.

Remeber a WILD attempt where you just fall asleep with no LD or ND is 100 times better than just giving up.

#8:  Author: x Puffycloud x PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec, 2010
    ----
^^ Excellent post, Rhewin! This is definately going to help a lot of people!

#9:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan, 2011
    ----
i reached an all-time best last night. got to SP & HI and passed mental excitement.. but then the feelings broke off and i lost some of the transition. so i should create movement in my mind? ok.
i did this without wbtb, maybe i should try wbtb and see how much further i can get?
i really like SP i dont know why people don't.. its like i know i can easily will myself to move, but im just so much further from actually doing it.. like thinking " maybe i'll move after this next attempt to sleep conscience".

#10:  Author: BeRightBack PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011
    ----
Thanks for the post. It's good that you take the attention away from all the SP and HI mambojambo. The less you take notice of the stuff happening to you the better is my experience. If you're waiting for something to happen like vibration, SP or HI, then you probably never fall asleep at all. The only successful WILD attempt I had I didn't even notice any HI or SP at all.

#11:  Author: kargaroc PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011
    ----
if you have a song stuck in your head, could you focus on that to stay "awake"?

#12:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2011
    ----
kargaroc wrote:
if you have a song stuck in your head, could you focus on that to stay "awake"?


When I have a song stuck in my head it does keep me awake, which is the problem. You see, when you WILD, you have to fall asleep. You have to be sleeping to dream. The trick is to stay aware. Now, there are some people who do respond well to music, and there is a variation on WILD that uses music to maintain focus. I want to say it's called M-WILD, but I'm not sure shy2

Still, whatever you use make sure you can focus. I've fallen asleep with the TV on and the noise was just incorporated into the dream (i.e. DC's were acting out what I was hearing). Music can be the same, so whatever you use, keep the focus on dreaming.

#13:  Author: Beat Doctor PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2011
    ----
Cabinfever wrote:
i reached an all-time best last night. got to SP & HI and passed mental excitement.. but then the feelings broke off and i lost some of the transition. so i should create movement in my mind? ok.
i did this without wbtb, maybe i should try wbtb and see how much further i can get?
i really like SP i dont know why people don't.. its like i know i can easily will myself to move, but im just so much further from actually doing it.. like thinking " maybe i'll move after this next attempt to sleep conscience".

True. I was never really scared of SP, I was/am actually quite fond of it. And I would describe it like you can move, but you don't know how to. Like you're playing a game and you don't know the controls to move.

My problem with WILD is that every night I get a new problem hehe. I try to find a solution during the day, and actually do find it but a new problem comes up. Sometimes I am too awake or just unaware. Sometimes I get iches that turn into pain with time and when I move I brake the process. Sometimes I'm just stuck at the same progress level for hours.

#14:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2011
    ----
Beat Doctor wrote:
Cabinfever wrote:
i reached an all-time best last night. got to SP & HI and passed mental excitement.. but then the feelings broke off and i lost some of the transition. so i should create movement in my mind? ok.
i did this without wbtb, maybe i should try wbtb and see how much further i can get?
i really like SP i dont know why people don't.. its like i know i can easily will myself to move, but im just so much further from actually doing it.. like thinking " maybe i'll move after this next attempt to sleep conscience".

True. I was never really scared of SP, I was/am actually quite fond of it. And I would describe it like you can move, but you don't know how to. Like you're playing a game and you don't know the controls to move.

My problem with WILD is that every night I get a new problem hehe. I try to find a solution during the day, and actually do find it but a new problem comes up. Sometimes I am too awake or just unaware. Sometimes I get iches that turn into pain with time and when I move I brake the process. Sometimes I'm just stuck at the same progress level for hours.
Well, i actually know the controls.. use selective attention. focus on your left arm for eg. imagine sparks or light building up in it, trying to get out, you control the valve..so open it when you want to move... and thats only in extreme cases.
do you use WBTB? for some reason i don't often try it.. i guess because i have to work a early most mornings, so i try WILD without it, i think of it as intensive training lol.
i find reasons for faliure also. i think excersie around bedtime is one of the best things you can do, aswell as reading, writing, drawing, math,.. anything mentally excersising. as well as a satisfying day. if you don't feel you've accomplished much in a month, week, day, thoughts will not leave you alone at night, our sleep rituals reflect every other aspect of our lives.

#15:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011
    ----
approximately how much percent would my chances of a WILD increase if i start using WBTB? anyone guesstimate?

#16:  Author: Beat Doctor PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011
    ----
The chances would double, that's for sure. If you give some effort to it, WBTB can really be useful.

#17:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011
    ----
thanks.. i better try it soon, because i can get to a decent point without it.

#18:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011
    ----
Based on my experience it's 100% seeing as how I've never had a successful WILD without WBTB. But, others have so that really doesn't hold an water . No one can say how much higher the chances will be for you. As I've been trying to say, we're all different and can all expect different results. Still, I would say that it would greatly increase your chances, even if you don't get out of bed for the WBTB.

#19:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011
    ----
thanks, and i believe your right just based on how this morning after my alarm went off, i closed my eyes to try WILD except now i was almost too tired.. i just need to focus more i think and my mind will drift.

#20:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011
    ----
Yes, find something that will keep you focused. It could also help if you wake up just a little bit more, like to write in you DJ

#21:  Author: Beat Doctor PostPosted: Thu 06 Jan, 2011
    ----
Like I said in the other thread, it would be good to have a clock that goes tick-tock. When you feel like you're loosing awareness, just listen to it for a while.

#22:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011
    ----
sound ideas, thanks. if i find a clock like that.. maybe at a fleamarket ill buy it. im going to WBTB tonight, ill see how i do. im starting to do automatic writting in the morning along with the DJ.. so doing these for a while after i first wake up will rev my mind up enough to hold focus during WILD, is that right?

#23:  Author: 008 PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011
    ----
If I wake up for only 3 min ( turn off my alarm clock ), does it count as a WBTB or I should stay awake for 30min-1hour?

#24:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011
    ----
@Cabinfever: it's not that it will help hold focus so much as it will help you fall asleep and go into REM faster so you don't have to focus anywhere near as long. You still have to keep your mind together, however.

@008: I actually go right back to sleep since if I stay up too long, I have trouble falling asleep again. At least take the time to write in your DJ. If you find it isn't working for you (you just fall asleep without even having a chance at WILD), keep increasing the time in 5 minute increments.

#25:  Author: DaConceit PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011
    ----
Though WILD yet never worked for me (but was close, I think), I'd guess WBTB would help if the timing is good.

In my opinion, doing WILD when going to bed (at usual time) is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. You need a REM phase to dream. You dont get a REM phase naturally if you begin to sleep at usual times. But after some hours of sleep the chance for getting quickly to REM is pretty high.

2. Even if you'd be able to enforce REM-Sleep by some technique, I'd doubt it was healthy doing this frequently, as "correct" sleep strongly correlates to general health.

Doing WILD when going to bed sounds to me like trying to jump into a train when there aren't even rails. The basics about sleep cycle can be found on wikipedia.

#26:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Fri 07 Jan, 2011
    ----
ok i did wbtb, woke up at five, did two and a half pages of automatic writing, a great deal of it was about becoming lucid, i did this for a half hour. then i went back to bed, and i couldnt WILD, my mind had gotten too active i think. SO, i should maybe write for only 10 min next time, or try what you do Rhewin and go right into the WILD? keeping my mind together is what i meant by focus actually, i know it sounds alittle off.

@DaConceit: i get it although doing this without wbtb is still progress i find, just getting to the point of SP prepares me much better for wbtb, no? theres a whole increment i am adjusted too before hand.

#27:  Author: mattias PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011
    ----
Cabinfever wrote:
SO, i should maybe write for only 10 min next time, or try what you do Rhewin and go right into the WILD?


yep, the thing about WBTB is finding the right time for you. Just keep adjusting it until you find something that works best. If you are too awake, stay up a little less during WBTB, if you fall asleep too fast, stay up a little longer.

#28:  Author: Tggtt PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011
    ----
I have succeeded only 3 times in a WILD without WBTB, all I can say is:

1- It's very nice to achieve, but;
2- You need much much much patience, it takes more than 2 hours to get into most vivid dream stage...
3- You can use a timer with low volume to remind you to keep focus.

It's very hard, but worth trying!
The sensations felt during you are sleeping are impressive, some very good while others, I admit, some are not.

#29:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011
    ----
If you find that you're too awake to try WILD immediately, try to relax in bed at first. To make sure you don't accidentally drift off, check out this chart to help determine just how close you are to falling asleep.

#30:  Author: Raswalt PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011
    ----
thank you for the feedback. ill surely adjust my awake time next wbtb to about 10min. Ive seen that chart, yes, except as im doing WILD i shouldnt be thinking about it too much, so this will help more to understand after i attempt? oh i was quite relaxed already but my mind wasn't feeling that way. i shut my eyes, body still, but thoughts kept invading the still. also i wouldn't be drifting off too easy if im too awake lol.. or do you mean without wbtb? because then thats a good idea..let the thoughts die down even before i close my eyes for good. i can't wbtb tonight, but i will try WILD in combination with MILD every night regardless of difficulty.

#31:  Author: KauaiDreamer PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011
    ----
The only problem I have with WILD is that I just can't get to sleep, at all, when trying it. Then I get to a point that I can't even fall asleep normally. Tried it for days thinking I'd get so tired that I would ultimately fall asleep. No go!
In the end I just turn into a wreck that hasn't slept for weeks, and than finally find myself dozing off normally again. Tried it twice and twice the same result. Maybe when I don't have to go to work for a few weeks I might try it again, but until then, sadblauw .
Guess WILD might just not be for everyone.

#32:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2011
    ----
There's one other thing I've just thought I would like to amend on here. It seems a lot of the new dreamers out there feel that if they get WILD to work it will be their main technique and they will have hundreds of LD's. Also gonna put this in with the first post.

WILD is the only technique you need to have LD's every night
Here's the thing, no technique is guaranteed to work 100% of the time. Why limit yourself to just one tool? Make an entire toolbox to have at your disposal depending on what your situation is. Even if you do get WILD working, you should also look in to other techniques like MILD, DEILD and VILD.

I'm going to use Wyvern as a quick example for my point here. I was talking to him in IRC the other day, and we were talking about WILD. For those of you who don't know, he's about 20 LD's away from having 1000, so he's pretty experienced when it comes to LD's. By his estimate, only about 10-15% of his LD's have actually come from WILD. Most of his others come from DILD because he has trained himself to be aware and recognize the dream state.

I'm currently at 103 LD's (about 87 of those in the last year alone). Again, only up to 20% have actually come from WILD. The rest have been RCILD, MILD, DEILD, VILD, DILD and even one CALD. This is a pretty broad array of techniques, and while I am no master yet, I still manage to have a good number of LD's.

WILD is great to know, but never overestimate the value of any technique.

#33:  Author: ___ PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2011
    ----
Thanks for the link to those charts, helps me a lot. This whole topic is also very helpful. I know this might seem pretty obvious, but I wanted to know if opening your eyes really has much of an effect on WILD's because I have heard of and seen people sleeping with their eyes open. I've tried it while in the earlier stages just to see what I would see ... neutral

#34:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2011
    ----
Kevin wrote:
Thanks for the link to those charts, helps me a lot. This whole topic is also very helpful. I know this might seem pretty obvious, but I wanted to know if opening your eyes really has much of an effect on WILD's because I have heard of and seen people sleeping with their eyes open. I've tried it while in the earlier stages just to see what I would see ... neutral


Unless you normally sleep with your eyes open I wouldn't try it. You're more likely to accidentally wake yourself up. Now, if you think you might be in a dream, then go ahead and try, just make sure you do an RC with it to be certain. During WILD I usually do the nose RC with my eyes closed as a test.

I'm kinda confused what you mean by charts, though eh

#35:  Author: ___ PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011
    ----
This here.
Tggtt's "(WILD Reference) The Trance Levels with Awareness" topic
I've been looking for something like this, glad there is one. With this I can gain more from my personal WILD attempts.

#36:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011
    ----
Oh, I forgot I even posted that tounge2

Glad it helped, and special thanks to Tggtt ^^

#37:  Author: Svenshinhan PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011
    ----
Hmm, I think this topic was written during a brief period of absence on the forums, so I missed. But as someone who's successfully had a couple (though not many) WILD's, I applaud this topic. I find it to be extremely helpful, because it boils WILD back down to the basic and dispels some of the "myths" that plague the technique.

Because aside from the first few that I had, all of my WILD's have been very uneventful as far as HI or SP goes. I barely even notice the transition usually. The sleeping position thing used to keep me up for hours at night a few years ago. This should really be put in the Article Database or something, because it's something most people who are into WILD should know.

#38:  Author: Galactic Kiwi PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2011
    ----
Thank you for the post Rhewin!

#39:  Author: Don Anonymus PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2011
    ----
I just keep stumbling over this: as I begin to fade into a dream, SP pops in and I immediatley get aware of it (while I'm a bit in "daydreaming-mode") and this excitement feeling comes up too the very second SP pops up and I snap out of all of this. Now what I described here happens in maximum 1 second. What's there to be done ?

Secondly, what about breathing ?? A very big problem: when I'm getting pretty deep, I suddenly remember the breathing part. Then I take over the breathing and it doesn't go "automatically" anymore, which makes me feel that it's ruining all of it, because I either breathe too deep or either to slowly which makes me want more air and which causes a deep breath. Deep breaths are very good SP-getting-rid-of's, so I really think it's ruining most of the part... sadblauw

#40:  Author: Rhett PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2011
    ----
When i am counting, "1, i am dreaming, 2 i am dreaming, etc. Would it work to count that kinda in an outloud voice but not really loud? Because i think that if i do, it will keep me focused and not falling asleep so easily, know what i mean?

#41:  Author: Rhewin PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011
    ----
Sorry I just noticed these two questions shy2

Don Anonymus: So when you say you enter SP, you mean that your body is fully paralyzed, not just numb, right? Once your body is in SP, i.e. it has fallen asleep, it has been my experience that it is better to switch over to something like VILD. I already have the body out of the way, so I then actively try to make a dream. As for your excitement which breaks the SP, I don't have much to say other than to try to ignore what your body feels like all together.

Rhett: Actually speaking will keep you awake. It's the same reason we say not to move, you are trying to convince your body to fall asleep. I know I said moving can be ok, but I meant to adjust and get comfortable. Count in your mind, yell it even, but don't actually count out loud.

#42:  Author: Mew151 PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2011
    ----
Why have I never seen this topic before?

Now I know I can swallow. eek2

#43:  Author: Ninja PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2011
    ----
Very helpful tut Rhewin! You've confirmed all that I have suspected about WILD.

#44:  Author: mask PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2012
    ----
do you have any tips on entering the dreams.

#45:  Author: Cyrus PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012
    ----
mask wrote:
do you have any tips on entering the dreams.


For me WILD works usually when my sleep is heavily disturbed. It means that i start to have HI images, or some semi-dream scenes. I watch them with my conciousness awake, and then i try if i can to "enter" them and turn them into LD-s. Sometimes it works, sometimes i cannot turn them into dreams and they dissapear. But it's just my personal experience what i had recently.

#46:  Author: BIGBRAD888 PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2012
    ----
Thanks for the post! I am very new at this and am very eager and excited to learn more. I have really been getting stuck with the swallowing issue but I am so glad I found this! I thought I had to NEVER SWALLOW! lol I thought I was gonna die! But I pushed through it and after the intense burning in my throat went i away i forgot to stay focused on trying to LD hahaha

#47:  Author: MrLucidZombie PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov, 2012
    ----
Tried and did not see some progress so far, but I am gonna try sme more and notify you of any results.

#48:  Author: MrLucidZombie PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov, 2012
    ----
Whoops, wrong thread, and the edit button disappeared on me.

#49:  Author: DreamSailor PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2012
    ----
this is great i will definitely keep these in mind when i try WILD again. i use DILD mainly, i just do RCs throughout the day and hope i do one in a dream, sometimes i do MILD as well which seems to work very well, i seem to be quite sensitive to it, i just say "i will have a lucid dream" a couple of times and go to sleep, normally i will have one the next morning. still the idea of being able to WILD is fascinating and i want to do it. i wonder if its possible to WILD during the day as well? like in the after noon or something? well i will give these tips a try and keep trying, sooner or later I'll do it smile

#50:  Author: onise_ok PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2013
    ----
Hello guys!
That's amazing post!

I'm beginner Lucid Dreamer and wanna ask you a question .
I've collected 4-5 dreams so far, but setting goal, finding dreamsigns etc. look a bit uncomfortable or unreal methods for me. and I can't do that wake back to bed and Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream techniques because of my school and teachers. My only free day is Sunday and I can only do that techniques on that day.

anddd... the question: what if I try doing WILD already?
What do you think? Is it yet suitable for me? Do I need some experience in setting goals, collecting dreamsigns and so?
Any help will be appreciated !

#51:  Author: Samick PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2013
    ----
onise_ok wrote:
Hello guys!
That's amazing post!

I'm beginner Lucid Dreamer and wanna ask you a question .
I've collected 4-5 dreams so far, but setting goal, finding dreamsigns etc. look a bit uncomfortable or unreal methods for me. and I can't do that wake back to bed and Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream techniques because of my school and teachers. My only free day is Sunday and I can only do that techniques on that day.

anddd... the question: what if I try doing WILD already?
What do you think? Is it yet suitable for me? Do I need some experience in setting goals, collecting dreamsigns and so?
Any help will be appreciated !


WBTB is needed in order to perform WILD more easily. So I would suggest you just filling your DJ and gathering DS's. Because when you do WILD straight to night's sleep (without WBTB) you will spend at least an hour of lying in bed and not moving. And when you finally are in a dream, it will last only a few seconds or even less, because you will lack of experience what to do when you get lucid. So I think it's just a waste of time, energy and motyvation. Your dream will be extremely unstable and will fade away very quickly. I would suggest you just filling your DJ and that's all.

#52:  Author: onise_ok PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2013
    ----
Samick wrote:
onise_ok wrote:
Hello guys!
That's amazing post!

I'm beginner Lucid Dreamer and wanna ask you a question .
I've collected 4-5 dreams so far, but setting goal, finding dreamsigns etc. look a bit uncomfortable or unreal methods for me. and I can't do that wake back to bed and Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream techniques because of my school and teachers. My only free day is Sunday and I can only do that techniques on that day.

anddd... the question: what if I try doing WILD already?
What do you think? Is it yet suitable for me? Do I need some experience in setting goals, collecting dreamsigns and so?
Any help will be appreciated !


WBTB is needed in order to perform WILD more easily. So I would suggest you just filling your DJ and gathering DS's. Because when you do WILD straight to night's sleep (without WBTB) you will spend at least an hour of lying in bed and not moving. And when you finally are in a dream, it will last only a few seconds or even less, because you will lack of experience what to do when you get lucid. So I think it's just a waste of time, energy and motyvation. Your dream will be extremely unstable and will fade away very quickly. I would suggest you just filling your DJ and that's all.

Thank you very, very much!

#53:  Author: sea-dove PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2015
    ----
I've been looking at the articles here and are quite impressed with the quality of them. Obviously some very experienced lucid dreamers here smile
This one on WILD is the first Ive disagreed with based on my own self taught WILDs (I dont disagree with it all), so thought I'd share how it is for me.

DaConceit wrote:
Though WILD yet never worked for me (but was close, I think), I'd guess WBTB would help if the timing is good.

In my opinion, doing WILD when going to bed (at usual time) is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. You need a REM phase to dream. You dont get a REM phase naturally if you begin to sleep at usual times. But after some hours of sleep the chance for getting quickly to REM is pretty high.

2. Even if you'd be able to enforce REM-Sleep by some technique, I'd doubt it was healthy doing this frequently, as "correct" sleep strongly correlates to general health.

Doing WILD when going to bed sounds to me like trying to jump into a train when there aren't even rails. The basics about sleep cycle can be found on wikipedia.


For myself I used to do WILD at any time at all, mostly during the day as long as I can fall asleep I had a good chance of doing a WILD (my favourite time was having an 15-20 min afternoon nap and doing this then). The faster I fell asleep, the faster I'd have the WILD which would happen instantly on falling asleep.

I used to have about 50-60% success with it when I tried. Its my favourite techinque as it can be done at any time at all. I dont like to wake myself up during the night so dont like WBTB.

I love how I can just do so many different things in a lead up to a WILD. I just do whatever I feel like doing at the time, to keep my mind active a bit while I fall asleep. I love the freedom of this technique.

Im fairly sure with WILD that a person could end up being successful 100% of the time with it with practice and experience, teaching the mind to go into this state instead of the sleep state. I do think I would of ended up like that had I keep up doing LD, the more I was doing it, the more I was mastering WILD.

The only negative thing I found about doing WILD in the middle of the day is that they for me were shorter and far more prone to drop outs then if I had a LD during the middle of the night using other techniques.

With doing a WILD at any time, I would have to work a lot harder to keep myself in the dream.

That being said, I still had often decent LDs with daytime WILDs eg enough to try one of my dream challenges and the fade outs are good practice for dream stabilization mastery and also of pulling oneself back into a dream.

I think this is a valid technique even for some beginners.. only last week I was talking to beginner who has just mastered daytime WILDs for his first LDs. Over the years Ive known many beginners who started with WILD (most thou not during the day.. most beginners are better doing WBTB with WILD).

Unfortunately if people think this is going to be hard, it is likely then to be. Never go into trialing any LD technique with that thought in mind as with LD you are working with the subconsciousness. What you think is super important for better success.

No-one can tell anyone what technique they will be better at, its really a case of experimentation thou WILD certainly can be difficult for some but others have found it easier then the other techniques.

There is technique involved in having lots of successful WILDs and a person needs to find what I call their "sweet spot" to get the balance right of when to let go more so to enter the LD. With experience or if a beginner stumbles upon this, WILD can become easy.

I completely agree with what was said by the one who write this article. "Make WILD your own".
Do make every single WILD you have your own... dont be shy to just go with the flow of whatever you feel is the right thing to be doing at the time. You do not need a set way to do your WILDs.

#54:  Author: Cyelle PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar, 2015
    ----
I really like this discussion ^^

I notice that technics are different for people because I think we all agree to tell that something that works for somebody won't work for another.

As far as I'm concerned, I noticed that the Wbtb that worked better were the ones I didn't plan....the day I put my alarm clock and follow all the advices, I didn't even remember my dreams !

But i can tell that goals are effecient for me....I always managed to stay lucid when I had one...and now I gave it up, I saw my last LD melt like snow in summer.

The keys are not the tecnics but the fact to try and find the one that works for you.



LD4all » Article Space


Page 1 of 1
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com