the BIG MILD topic [part II]
LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

#1: the BIG MILD topic [part II] Author: Somnio Forte PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003
    ----
<MOD>
Part I can be found here: "the big MILD topic" <- this is in the archive

<moderator comment>
This topic has been selected to be the big MILD topic.
Please post all your questions and comments about MILD in this thread. </moderator comment>

I've been using the MILD method for about two weeks or so, but so far, I haven't succeeded. I have a question-is it more effective to sleep 5-6 hours and then wake up and try MILD, or do it right away when you go to bed? I personally use the latter method. Which one is better? eh

#2:  Author: moogle PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003
    ----
Well in Atheist's opinion. You have a better chance of having LDs near the end of the night. So waking up early and then doing MILD should give better results. But there is no reason why you can't do it on going to bed and a couple of hours before having to wake up. The more chances of LDs the better!

#3:  Author: The Golden King of Avalon PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003
    ----
Is it really a good tech? Like it doesn;t seem to give any good results as in LD's that is.

#4:  Author: clarkkent PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003
    ----
Keep trying....

#5:  Author: Jeff PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003
    ----
Angelus..science has proven that ppl that read more then 20 minutes before sleeping..like a book..have more rem sleep..Well if you make that book a book about lucid dreaming you could call that also Mild!
So go reading also a book about lucid dreaming every day before sleeping for lets say indeed 20 minutes also do your normal mild routine..that will enforce it. smile

Jeff

#6:  Author: Qu PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2003
    ----
we have a whole topic dedicated to MILD - but since the current one has gone a little of topic this one will henceforth be known as

the BIG MILD topic [part II]

#7:  Author: Ed Case PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2003
    ----
Last night, whilst feeling frustrated that I couldn't get control of my dreams enough, I decided to try the MILD method properely for the first time. In the past, I have tried it half-heartedly, but last night I decided to put some real effort into it.

First of all, I looked at Pasquale's MILD instructions on this site. I modified it slightly to my own preference. For a start, I didn't like doing the 3rd eye thing, as I didn't like the sensation it gave me. Most of the rest of it I did though...

1) Woke up at 5am

2) Stood up, made sure I woke up completely, then went back to bed.

3) Said to myself, "I am going to dream now, I am in a dream, I am aware of my dream".

4) Imagined myself in a place I would like to be.

5) Imagined myself realising I was dreaming.

6) Imagined myself flying.

I then proceeded to repeat steps 3 to 6 over and over again. Each time I got to step 4, I imagined that it was somewhere completely different, but each time it was somewhere I would really like to be. A beautiful hilltop, a sunny beach, some woods...

My thoughts then wondered, and I was involuntarily visualising myself walking down a footpath near a stream near where I live. I then had a very brief and blurry LD of this, and tried to spin to make it clearer, and tried my best to get control but I couldn't.

I then woke up, and eventually drifted off back to sleep to have various non-lucid dreams.

I think that's encouraging though, don't you? The fact that, on my first proper attempt at MILD I managed to have a very brief moment of lucidity?

I think I'm going to stick with this now, in conjunction with WBTB. I think I can stick with this, because I find that I enjoy imagining myself in different places, so I don't get bored of this technique. It's quite exciting really, because each time I repeat the process I am thinking, "oooh, where can I imagine myself next?"

I like the idea that it works by excercising the visual imagination whilst keeping the concept of lucid dreaming in your conciousness.

:D

Ed.

#8:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003
    ----
I've had almost all of my lucid dreams using the MILD technique, and it's the easiest technique for me to practice. I just tell myself to remember to wake up after each dream and then practice the rest of the steps. I've only been able to have a lucid dream using the WILD technique once.

Of course I've only had about 10 - 15 lucid dreams my entire life so...

ypm.

#9:  Author: Ed Case PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003
    ----
Last night, I tried MILD again after waking up in the early hours of the morning. Again, I was imagining myself in various nice places each time I visualised myself dreaming.

I didn't have a LD. However, I did remember a dream about walking around hilly countryside near the sea. Two of the places I had imagined whilst trying MILD were a beach and some hilly countryside.

So it shows that what I'm imagining is going through to my dream, it's just I didn't go lucid.

#10:  Author: Ed Case PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2003
    ----
The last few nights, I tried MILD with no success. What I think I did wrong, is that I didn't stay up for long enough when I woke up in the early hours of the morning. I just got up, went down to the toilet, and went straight back to bed.

What I noticed, was that I found it very difficult to gain control of my thoughts. I really couldn't do it. I stumbled at every point. Even after just saying one sentence to myself, my mind would stray off into completely different thoughts, and when I tried to imagine myself somewhere, I couldn't do it at all. It's like my mind had a mind of its own, so to speak.

If I compare this to a previous attempt when I tried it after having been up for a while, I had FAR more control over my thoughts back then.

I think maybe the best thing is to do the whole thing, you know, stay up for 30 minutes whilst reading the website, and only THEN go back to bed and attempt MILD. Otherwise I'm too sleepy and my brain just wants to do its own thing.

Ed.

#11:  Author: Nazca PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003
    ----
Haven't had the will/time to try lately...But I think I'm going to go MILD for all I'm worth this weekend. ^_^
I'll go with Ed Case's idea, if I can haul myself out of bed.

#12:  Author: Ed Case PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003
    ----
Things are looking good for me....

I woke up at 5am, stayed up for 30 minutes, reading parts of this website, then went back to bed, and did the following routine....

1 - Said to myself, "I am going to dream now, I am in a dream, I am aware of my dream".

2 - Imagined myself in a nice place (different each time)

3 - Imagined myself realising I was dreaming

4 - Imagined myself doing something fun like flying (different each time)

5 - Repeated steps 1 to 4 until I felt like I was almost asleep, and then just relaxed and went to sleep.

I then had several mini lucid moments a short while afterwards. I can't remember too many details of them, other than that they were great fun.

In the first one, I kind of became concious of myself lying in bed, feeling a kind of feeling I have felt before when conciously on the verge of a dream. Ironically, I decided to try WILD at this point, so I focussed on my third eye (even though I don't like doing that, ironically), and then vibrations came, and then somehow I knew it was the right time to leave my body, so I tried to leave my body, and it was a big effort, but I forced myself out, and rolled out of my body with great effort. Then I was in my room, but it was all very dark and fuzzy. I tried spinning and looking at my hands, but nothing really worked, and then it faded. It was fun though.

Then I had a few other lucid moments, which were more of a MILD style, where I was dreaming and became aware because I remembered my intention. They were very brief though, with not much control, but were great fun. One was where I made a sexy woman appear, and I started to become aroused, but then I lost control of the dream at that point. It was fun though.

I feel really excited about this, because I feel like I've come even further! I feel like this MILD method is really starting to work for me. I had ignored it in the past, because I thought it sounded hard to do, but in actual fact, now that I've started to get into the habbit of doing it and know exactly what I'm doing, it's actually quite easy. I just simply go round in circles doing the steps like I have mentioned, until I become really sleepy. I don't even worry if the odd other thought pops into my head from time to time, as long as the main train of thought is the MILD method.

I definately think that staying awake for 30 minutes is a big part of it though. Otherwise I'm just too sleepy and I just fall back to sleep too quickly without much control over my thoughts. If I stay up for a while first, then I'm more awake and feel more in control of my thoughts.

I really am quite pleased with how well the MILD thoughts carry over into the dreams. They appear in the form of just plain knowledge that it is a dream.

Also, on a side note, the more I have started to become aware of my dreams, the more I have realised that there is a whole new world out there, with it's own places and memories and everything. While I am dreaming, I start to remember other places I have dreamt about, which I wouldn't remember in real life. And during the dreams, when I'm remembering these other places that I've dreamt about, it's like real memories of real visits to real places.

One such place is a place that supposedly exists near me (but doesn't really), where there are some footpaths through some woods up the side of a hill, which leads to an old railway track on a hill where anyone can have a free rise northbound into the beautiful green sunny countryside. I remembered this last night I think, remembering how I visited it in a previous dream, maybe even visited it in several dreams.

I love this new world I am discovering.

#13:  Author: xplosive58 PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2003
    ----
Nazca wrote:
Haven't had the will/time to try lately...But I think I'm going to go MILD for all I'm worth this weekend. ^_^
I'll go with Ed Case's idea, if I can haul myself out of bed.

It is very important to put effort in every day if you ever want to be a Lucid Dream Master. I wish i could go back to the days when i could have a LD every night if i put enough effort into it, but then life got in the way.

#14:  Author: Fenoderee PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003
    ----
I have a problem I hope MILD can solve...

Each night I have an average of 3-5 pretty complete dream recalls. I cannot rememeber the last time I had no recall... probably the last time I was sick. It seems I have (with a couple recent exceptions) lost my ability to LD, but I am having the best recall of my life. I had always thought that recall and LD's went hand-in-hand, meaning the better recall, the better the chance of having a LD. This is where MILD comes in. Has anyone with good, consistent dream recall ever had great success with MILD? I'm wondering if introducing mental suggestion with MILD could turn things around? I hope I'm not too far off subject. I'll post any success in my journal.

By the way, Ed Case,

I really agree with your side note you made on dreams being a whole different world. I think that has been the lure of dreams for me. I can relate to feeling certain sentiments and memories attached to places I visit in my dreams, as I know other people can too. I'll often wake up in the morning thinking "Wow, am I glad I was able to visit that meadow with the big tree again! I love it there! what a place...". Then it occurs to me how strange it is that I have this kind of attachment to a place that is supposed to not actualy exist.

#15:  Author: Ed Case PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2003
    ----
Fenoderee...

About the special dream places:
Isn't it also funny how simple places and situations can have so much more meanings in dreams that in real life. Just the simple act of walking through some woods to an old railway station and then get a ride out into the countryside, but it all means a great deal in the dream.

Ed.

#16:  Author: Monitor199a PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec, 2003
    ----
Everything's more special if you make it yourself. siiw

#17:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2003
    ----
I have excellent dream recall and have learned to induce lucid dreams at will with MILD.

#18:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2003
    ----
Sorry, accidental double post!

#19:  Author: Ego Tripping PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec, 2003
    ----
Ed Case wrote:
Fenoderee...

About the special dream places:
Isn't it also funny how simple places and situations can have so much more meanings in dreams that in real life. Just the simple act of walking through some woods to an old railway station and then get a ride out into the countryside, but it all means a great deal in the dream.

Ed.

I think that's because our state of mind ignores fear when dreaming. You know its a dream, and you have control, so you can absorb the moment entirely, which is what LD'ing is all about.

#20:  Author: Lucid_Adventurer PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2004
    ----
Yeah I think that's been my pronlem all I do when I wake up is I go to the bathroom then back to bed. I cant focus my thought very well either. How long do you guys recommend I stay up?

#21:  Author: Fenoderee PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004
    ----
Lucid_Adventurer,

I have heard that it's best to stay up for at least a half hour. At least for the WBTB technique, that's what is recommended. If you use MILD in conjunction with WBTB, I bet you would be able to focus better on your mantras. I'm no professional, but that's what has worked for me the best. I also have trouble focusing in the wee hours of the morn. It's also supposed to work better if you do something active with your mind, like read. Sorry I cant offer more info. Good luck, good dreaming...

#22:  Author: Goliath PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2004
    ----
This technique is my best way to get lucid dreams, I used to do it before I slept and it worked sometimes but now I wake up 6 hours afterwards and do the technique, it is quite good.

#23:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Fri 13 Feb, 2004
    ----
Lucidity_Master wrote:
I have excellent dream recall and have learned to induce lucid dreams at will with MILD.

Hey Lucidity_Master I know that this is an old post of yours, but I was just wondering how you perform the MILD technique?

It has been the most successful technique for me so far, but I only get about 3 lucid dreams a month, so it's not all that successful. So I was thinking that since you can do it at will, perhaps you have some techniques that might be helpful.

ypm.

#24:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2004
    ----
The first thing I do is use the 61 piont relaxation to get my mind and body relaxed.

Then I pretty much go to sleep and say "The next time I am dreaming I want to remember to recognizethat I'm dreaming. From my personal experienbce and everything I have read it is the remembering to recognize that really seems to help the technique.

The same time I'm saying the mantra I imagine myself finding a dreamsign and becoming lucid. Then I continue as if I am Lucid and after a while start the visualization over with the SAME dreamsign (usually flying).

It took my about two months of HARD work before my mind got used to it but after that getting Lucid become quite easy.

Hope this helps , persevere and good luck!!!

#25:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2004
    ----
Hye Lucidity_Master,

I will be sure to try that since you have had such positive results, thanks for the post.

I will be sure to post my results on this forum.

Just another quick question (and hopefully not too off topic) have you noticed any increased familiarity in recognizing the dream state? Do you still need to perform this technique or is it more nature now.

ypm.

#26:  Author: ILuvSesshomaru PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2004
    ----
ypm wrote:
Just another quick question (and hopefully not too off topic) have you noticed any increased familiarity in recognizing the dream state? Do you still need to perform this technique or is it more nature now.ypm.

That's a very good question. I'd like to know that too!

#27:  Author: plebian PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004
    ----
Lucidity_Master wrote:

It took my about two months of HARD work before my mind got used to it but after that getting Lucid become quite easy.

Hope this helps , persevere and good luck!!!

I've been trying to LD for a month & 1/2 now. I have been using MILD as much as possible without luck...I'm hoping at the two month mark I'll start to see results too smile

#28:  Author: PistGurl PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2004
    ----
I've only ever tried MILD a few times, I'm not a very patient person...I prefer to just wait for my LD 's to come naturally...but this morning I woke up naturally after about seven hours sleep, I was completely awake, but I knew that if I got up straight away after only that amount of sleep I'd be really tired later in the day, so I stayed awake for half an hour (trying to stay awake is the best way to fall asleep lol) and then I thought well why not try WILD again...I layed completely still for about half an hour, nothing happening, except the occasional kind of...I don't know memory? Vision? Of me moving my arms and thinking damn, now I have to start again (I could actually feel my arms moving, but I never had), so anyway, I thought, I might as well think "The next time I dream I will know that I'm dreaming" a few times while I'm falling asleep, It can't hurt. Whenever I've done MILD before, I've either done it as I'm first going to sleep, or when I've set my alarm after 6 hours and gone back to sleep as I've been told to by this site lol...they didn't work. But this morning, I had a series of LD 's and FA 's, it was really cool, it was also the first time I've ever remembered to do a RC in a dream and have it work (the only other time, I wasn't at all lucid, it was just part of the dream so it didn't work). I'm gonna do this again tommorrow morning!

#29:  Author: plebian PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004
    ----
3 months with MILD and nothing to show for it yet. Is MILD over hyped as a method of LD induction or are some of us just LD deficient?

#30:  Author: r3m0t PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004
    ----
plebian wrote:
3 months with MILD and nothing to show for it yet. Is MILD over hyped as a method of LD induction or are some of us just LD deficient?

How long do you MILD every attempt? What is your mantra?

#31:  Author: plebian PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004
    ----
r3m0t wrote:
plebian wrote:

How long do you MILD every attempt? What is your mantra?

Hi,

My mantra is "Next time I'm dreaming I'll realize I'm dreaming." If I ahve woken up and remember my dream I try to think of a dreamsign in the dream and imagine myself becoming lucid. I do this until my intention is set and then try to fall asleep - if a stray thought enters my mind I repeat my intention. This has never worked for me.

I have also tried to use the MILD effect when performing WILD so as to have a failsafe but no results.

#32:  Author: r3m0t PostPosted: Sun 11 Apr, 2004
    ----
*shrug* MILD is dead wood to you. Use something else.

#33:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2004
    ----
plebian wrote:

My mantra is "Next time I'm dreaming I'll realize I'm dreaming." If I ahve woken up and remember my dream I try to think of a dreamsign in the dream and imagine myself becoming lucid. I do this until my intention is set and then try to fall asleep - if a stray thought enters my mind I repeat my intention. This has never worked for me.

Hi Plebian,

How long do you usually stay awake when performing the MILD technique? Are you performing regular reality checks throughout the day? I've found MILD to be the most sucessfult LD incudtion technique myself, but that doesn't mean that it will work for everyone. I've also found that it works much better if I perform regulat Reality Checks and keep my focus on lucid dreaming high.

Maybe try taking a break from the MILD technique, and lucid dreaming for a while? Take a few nights and just dream with no pressure, who knows you might just have a lucid dream.

ypm.

#34:  Author: plebian PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2004
    ----
ypm wrote:

Hi Plebian,

How long do you usually stay awake when performing the MILD technique? Are you performing regular reality checks throughout the day? I've found MILD to be the most sucessfult LD incudtion technique myself, but that doesn't mean that it will work for everyone. I've also found that it works much better if I perform regulat Reality Checks and keep my focus on lucid dreaming high.

Maybe try taking a break from the MILD technique, and lucid dreaming for a while? Take a few nights and just dream with no pressure, who knows you might just have a lucid dream.

ypm.

Hiya smile

I wake up in the middle of the night, every night without fail and I always use it as an opportunity to try to LD. I'm sort of an insomniac so I don't do serous WBTB - but I have found that that is a good thing for trying WILD. Last night, I woke up around 5 am and decided to try MILD. I set the intention up and visualized being lucid be recognizing a previous dreamsign as best I could. Unfortunately, I couldn't get back to sleep. When I set my intention, I tried to fall asleep, but would toss & turn for a while, lose intention. Then I would reset intention and it became a cycle. Basically, I was up for 2 hours tossing & turning and then had to get out of bed anyway...!

About the RCs - honestly, I try to do them...but I will admit, my vigilance has slipped. I still try to do about 12 RCs a day.

Also, I have tried to use LaBerge's memory exercise in preparation for MILD.
BTW - I don't see much difference between the Autosuggestion technique and MILD as LaBerge describes it.

Maybe youíre right about putting to much focus/pressure on myself to LD - I just don't want to waste a night not conditioning my mind!

#35:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2004
    ----
plebian wrote:

I wake up in the middle of the night, every night without fail and I always use it as an opportunity to try to LD. I'm sort of an insomniac so I don't do serous WBTB - but I have found that that is a good thing for trying WILD. Last night, I woke up around 5 am and decided to try MILD. I set the intention up and visualized being lucid be recognizing a previous dreamsign as best I could. Unfortunately, I couldn't get back to sleep. When I set my intention, I tried to fall asleep, but would toss & turn for a while, lose intention. Then I would reset intention and it became a cycle. Basically, I was up for 2 hours tossing & turning and then had to get out of bed anyway...!

Yeah that happens to me sometimes, if I cannot fall alseep after about 20 minutes or so, I usually just let go of the MILD technique. If anything I'll count in my head "1 I'm dreaming", "2 I'm dreaming".... That sometimes gives my a lucid dream.

plebian wrote:

Maybe youíre right about putting to much focus/pressure on myself to LD - I just don't want to waste a night not conditioning my mind!

Maybe plan on taking one night off a week, or one night off every two weeks. Like make sunday your day off. Maybe that will be enought to rejuvinate you? I find that if I haven't had a lucd dream in a while taking a few days off will sometimes give me one.

ypm.

#36:  Author: KirbyMeister PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2004
    ----
Hey,

What's the best way to do MILD? I've been doing WBTB w/ MILD, saying my mantra out loud and even visualizing, but I dont get anything, not even Vivid Dreams...

#37:  Author: r3m0t PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2004
    ----
Not out loud - that keeps you awake. In your head.

#38:  Author: KirbyMeister PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2004
    ----
Thanks

#39:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004
    ----
KirbyMeister wrote:
Hey,

What's the best way to do MILD? I've been doing WBTB w/ MILD, saying my mantra out loud and even visualizing, but I dont get anything, not even Vivid Dreams...

Like r3m0t said, don't say your mantra outloud. The best way to perform MILD (for myself) is to get up, and write the dream that I have just remembered in my dream journal, and then go back to bed and say my mantra and keep replaying a scene in my dream where something "fantastical" or "dream-like" occured, then see myself recognizing it as a dream, and then repeat.

Basically I just perform the MILD technique as I understand it.

ypm.

#40:  Author: plebian PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004
    ----
Hi -
I think MILD worked for the first time for me this morning. I used MILD combined with WBTB. Woke up, stayed up for about 1 hr & 45 mins...during that time focused on having an LD and reading from EWLD.
Then I went back to sleep. The downside was that it took me a full hour to actually fall asleep...but once I did, I found myself in an LD smile Strange, I don't remember doing an RC or anything, I was just Lucid...

#41:  Author: JaRoD PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004
    ----
I always to MILD when I go to sleep. The mantra that seems to work best for me is "I will wake up after every dream". Have tried using "I will wake up at the end of each REM-period", but that doesn't seem to work at all.

The only other thing that seems to be working for me is to ask my brain to do something for me, it doesn't work very well but better than just stating something.

#42:  Author: PistGurl PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2004
    ----
I repeat it a few times, and then say it out loud, really meaningfully, thinking about every word...then carry on saying it in my head.
(it's worked a couple more times now)

Last edited by PistGurl on Thu 06 May, 2004; edited 1 time in total

#43:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Wed 05 May, 2004
    ----
The best matra I've found is "The Next time I'm dreaming I'll remember to recognize that I'm dreaming"

The remember to recognize part is the key because you're goal is to remember to recognize/relize you're dreaming, not just to realize you're dreaming, this is a small subtle difference bt it made all the difference for me. Until I made that change in my mantra it barley worked but now I can do it at will.

Also try repeatiing your mantra until you fall asleep.

#44:  Author: Trancewave PostPosted: Fri 07 May, 2004
    ----
I don't think finding the perfect mantra is the key to MILD. About 90% of all my LDs have been from MILD and what I learned so far is that you got to train your mind to remind itself of its intention. After you do MILD for a while, usually your thoughts begin to trail off as you go to sleep. You have to try to catch yourself at least a few times and remind yourself of your intention. I usually try this as many times as possible and I eventually miss it one time and I end up spontaneously remembering my intention in a LD later (hopefully).

That's my variation, so I guess MILD can sort of be done in different ways.

#45:  Author: Sureal PostPosted: Mon 10 May, 2004
    ----
I've had mild success with MILD (ha ha - get it? yeah, it sucks. what do you want from me?), so I may as well share my experince.

For me, I think the best mantra is the one you make yourself. You'll find it easier to remember, and recongnise it easier and stuff.

But I have one question - with MILD, are you just meant to suddenly remember that your dreaming, or do you just suddenly just remember to take a RC? Cos usually for me it's the later (not always mind).

Oh, and for anyone interessted, I try and repeat my mantra till If all asleep. I find it easy enough, as as soon as I lay down for sleep now, I automatically start saying it in my head. Sometimes I just can't be bothered (hard day or whatever), but I generally try to keep at it for at least half an hour.

#46:  Author: Johan PostPosted: Mon 10 May, 2004
    ----
Sureal wrote:
But I have one question - with MILD, are you just meant to suddenly remember that your dreaming, or do you just suddenly just remember to take a RC? Cos usually for me it's the later (not always mind).

When I do MILD I always suddenly remember I'm dreaming, never do an RC. It's just totally obvious I'm dreaming and I usually start flying right away without any hesitation or doubt ^^ Guess it depends from person to person, I never do RCs, MILD or not.

#47:  Author: 1984 PostPosted: Tue 11 May, 2004
    ----
Any tips on visualisations from those experts in MILD? I've heard that the general consensus is that they are vital, but any insights into special techniques, what you visualise, or where you visualise in relation to your mantra (e.g. after, before, whilst saying the mantra) would be welcome.

#48:  Author: r3m0t PostPosted: Tue 11 May, 2004
    ----
I visualise during my mantra. I visualise whatever I want to happen: me waking and writing in my dream diary, me becoming lucid, etc.

#49:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004
    ----
I tend to visulize myself finding a dreamsign and becoming lucid.

#50:  Author: PistGurl PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2004
    ----
yeah I repeat and then say it out lod really meaningfully and then a couple of times in the half hour I remember to do it, I imagine myself in bed (kind of...smilie looking= smile ) and a little dream bubble pops up and in the dream bubble is me waking up in bed, and I look round and I'm dreaming. A little exclamation point appears over smilie me#'s head!

Then I go back to repeating the mantra!

A little wierd, but it gets it stuck in my head so I'm ok with my crap imagination!

#51:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2004
    ----
I'm like Lucidity_Master, I basically visualize the last dream that I remember until I find a dreamsign and then repeat. Basically I use the technique as LaBerge outlines it.

I've been looking to broaden into WILD but haven't had much luck yet.

ypm.

#52:  Author: Trancewave PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2004
    ----
Sometimes visualization works for me, but usually not. Visualization tends to distract me from my mantra. Its best to just stick to one specific anchored thought. The more things you have floating around your mind while doing MILD, the higher chance your just going to drift off unconciously. Keeping focused on one basic thing for a while will give your brain a chance to drift into deeper levels of sleep easier.

#53:  Author: Lucid_Adventurer PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun, 2004
    ----
Yea! I'm gonna try MILD tonight, I think I've planned the time ok and everything...I honestly hope this works, I've heard that most people get good results with it.

#54:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004
    ----
Hey Lucid_Adventurer,

What were the results of your MILD attempt?

ypm.

#55:  Author: whispa PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004
    ----
A few times last week I decided I wanted to wake up during the night just to improve my dream recall and it worked very well, even found myself waking up out of habbit on days when I hadn't intended to. That got me worried, what if I can't stop this from happening eek2 but it was ok once the intention of waking was completely off my mind.

My last lucid dream was a MILD. I never thought it would work for me coz my mind usually does the opposite of what I want.

#56:  Author: zardos PostPosted: Fri 18 Jun, 2004
    ----
Hio i wakeup every time i realize that i am dreaming. have anny one some tips to me?

edit... i do not have this problem any more smile

#57:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Sat 17 Jul, 2004
    ----
Well the MILD technique was the technique that used to work for me the best, but I have been very busy in real life and have not had the chance to practice it or any other indiction techniques recently.

As a result the number of lucid dreams that I have had has dropped down to zero. I'm starting to post to this forum again to help build my intentions.

Has anyone recently had any sucess with the MILD technique? Judging from the posts on this forum it appears to be the least popular technique, I wonder why that is?

ypm.

#58:  Author: Lucid_Adventurer PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul, 2004
    ----
I dont know why either. It seems liek it'd be the easiest to pull off.

#59:  Author: milod789 PostPosted: Sun 25 Jul, 2004
    ----
Quote:
Judging from the posts on this forum it appears to be the least popular technique, I wonder why that is?

It is not that it is unpopular. In fact, it is most likely one of the most used technique by LD ers on this form. It is just that there really is not much to say about it.

Quote:
I dont know why either. It seems liek it'd be the easiest to pull off.

It is easy for some yet hard for others. Every one is different it that regards. In reality all the techniques are easy it is just a matter of finding the one that is right for you.

#60:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004
    ----
Hey milod789,

I guess you are right about the MILD technique. One of the things that I have noticed is that most techniques that people use are very similar to the MILD technique in a few ways.

On that note I've also noticed that (in general) most LD techniques are quite similar, perhaps out of necessity or becuase of the way out mind works. I wonder if someone will come up with a totally new techique at some point?

Ow well, I've been working my way back up into using the MILD technique last night it almost worked for me and it felt like I developed some low-level lucidity in a few of my dreams. I'm looking to fully apply the technique tonight and get some lucid dreams.

ypm.

#61:  Author: milod789 PostPosted: Tue 27 Jul, 2004
    ----
Hi ypm

Yes, I agree that most of the techniques are indeed very similar to each other.

Anyway good luck I am sure you will be LD Ďing again soon. Just practice seriously and try to be confident that you will LD. Really try to believe it.

#62:  Author: JaRoD PostPosted: Tue 27 Jul, 2004
    ----
The only MILD mantra that seems to help me with lucid dreaming seems to be "I will wake up after each dream and I will remember to write it down".

Then again it could be that when I use that one I only use that one. If I use anything else I also use that one and then I guess that they interfere with eachother somehow.

#63:  Author: Blue Tiger PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2004
    ----
In MILD do I have to imagine the whole process of lucid dreaming?

#64:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2004
    ----
Blue Tiger wrote:
In MILD do I have to imagine the whole process of lucid dreaming?

I don't think that you "have to" do anything for the technique to work for you.

But for me what I do is visualize the dream that i just awoke form until I get to the dream sign that I chose, see myself recognizing it, doing something, and then I repeat from the beginning.

But I do know that people on this forum just say a mantra or just use the visualisation, so I guess use whatever works for you.

ypm.

#65:  Author: Blue Tiger PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2004
    ----
Thanks. Tha mantra I am using works well for the dream remembering part and waking up after the dream. Now I have to have a lucid dream mantra!

#66: MILD is wild! Author: nickspry PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004
    ----
MILD is the most successful technique for me. I think the reason it works so well is that when you wake up between dreams you are only half awake and part of your mind is still half asleep. You've just been in REM sleep, and your brain wants to dive straight back in, so any visualising you do is likely to be carried into your next dream. It's like "coming up for air", and it's very easy to reinforce your intention and get quickly back into the dream state. With all the other methods, you are "starting from cold", like a car on a winter morning. If the engine has been running for hours and is fully warmed up it will start like a dream (no pun intended).
It's the coolest method and it works brilliantly if you keep practicing it. The hardest part is remembering to wake up between dreams, but this gets easier once you make it part of your routine.

#67:  Author: L.Dreamer13 PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004
    ----
My first LD came through MILD. I woke up and started writing Lucid Dreaming for about 2 pages and then went back to sleep but the tech hasn't worked since. How long should I stay up for after I awake from a dream? I am not the best at getting back to sleep. Maybe I should just do the Mantra and go to sleep.

#68:  Author: nickspry PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2004
    ----
You don't need to stay awake long - just long enough to realise that you are awake and reinforce your intention to have a lucid dream. Once you feel that you are awake, take your mind back into the dream you were just having. Try to re-live it and feel all the feelings you were having in that dream. Tell yourself that in your next dream your mind will realise that you are dreaming
and really believe it. Once you learn to really believe it you are planting a seed in your subconscious mind which will make you become aware that you are dreaming. While you are remembering your dream, imagine a dreamsign
and see yourself becoming lucid when you recognise it. Stay awake just long enough to do all this, if you stay awake too long you will find it hard to get back to sleep. Drift back to sleep with this intention firmly set in your mind. Expect it to happen and give it great importance in your mind. Only then will your mind make you become lucid.
Lucid dreaming is easy - if you believe it is.

#69:  Author: L.Dreamer13 PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2004
    ----
Thanks for the reply but what about the time it takes to write my dream in my journal? or would I remember it next time I awake?

#70:  Author: milod789 PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2004
    ----
You can just quickly jot down a few notes about any dreams you remember. That is usually enough to help you remember the whole dream in the morning.

#71:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2004
    ----
L.Dreamer13 wrote:
Thanks for the reply but what about the time it takes to write my dream in my journal? or would I remember it next time I awake?

Personally I usually find running through the dream in my mind in order to visualize it enough to remember it in the morning. Writing the dream down wakes me up a bit more which sometimes results in an LD but also sometimes results in staying awake for an hour.

I think a quick note in your dream journal is usually a good idea.

ypm.

#72:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2004
    ----
Reading this topic, it seems that most of the MILDers concentrate on the mantra above all. Am I wrong ?
Do you try to visualize something ( dreamsigns for instance) ? Do you imagine you're in a dream and realizing you're dreaming, or not ?
And if not, can you MILD almost at will ?

#73:  Author: Gothiclullaby PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2004
    ----
Whenever I try to remember that whatever happens next is a dream and whenever i try to keep thinking it I won't sleep because i'm actually thinking, and by the time i actually fall asleep its usually forgotten..

#74:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2004
    ----
Basilus West wrote:
Reading this topic, it seems that most of the MILDers concentrate on the mantra above all. Am I wrong ?
Do you try to visualize something ( dreamsigns for instance) ? Do you imagine you're in a dream and realizing you're dreaming, or not ?
And if not, can you MILD almost at will ?

When I do it I do both and concentrate on the actual visualizations more I think.

From what I have read of the MILD method, the visualisation and the mantra are designed to go hand in hand. When you visualize you visualize the last dream you had until you contact a dreamsign, then you visualize yourself becomming lucid and then repeat.

I believe that the idea is that you fall back into your last dream, excpet this time (as you have been rehearsing) you recognize the dream sign and become lucid.

But I guess part of the idea is to adapt any technique so that it works the best for you.

Ow and no I cannot get it to work for me on demand.

ypm.

#75:  Author: Trancewave PostPosted: Tue 24 Aug, 2004
    ----
Since this contains information relating a bit to MILD, I figured I should post a link of a topic I made about a different approach to MILD.

http://www.ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8216

#76:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2004
    ----
Trancewave wrote:
Since this contains information relating a bit to MILD, I figured I should post a link of a topic I made about a different approach to MILD.

http://www.ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8216

That is an interesting technique Trancewave, it seems like a good way to fall back into a dream. I'll have to try it in the next few nights.

How has your success been lately with this technique?

ypm.

#77:  Author: Trancewave PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug, 2004
    ----
Pretty good so far... 3 LDs out of 5 attempts. =D

#78:  Author: Gogf PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2004
    ----
Okay, I have no idea what a MILD, or WILD is? Can you explain what exactly they are, and how to do them?

#79:  Author: milod789 PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2004
    ----
It might be more helpful to click on the how tab in the wings at the top of your screen then visit the big WILD and BIG mild sticky topics here on the forum in the quest for lucidity section. You will be able to gain a more in-depth understanding of the two techniques beyond their simple definitions and therefore be in a better position to decide what method is for you.

Last edited by milod789 on Wed 01 Sep, 2004; edited 1 time in total

#80:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2004
    ----
Gogf wrote:
Okay, I have no idea what a MILD, or WILD is? Can you explain what exactly they are, and how to do them?

You could also check out the wiki book:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lucid_Dreaming

ypm.

#81:  Author: Lůrien PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2004
    ----
I have a question:
What happens if MILD is successful ? I mean, what happens in the dream if I succeed ?
Suppose I pictured myself flying and realizing that I am dreaming. Do I see the exact same situation in the dream ?

#82:  Author: Lůrien PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2004
    ----
Sorry for writing two posts in a row, but I forgot to ask something...
Is is necessary that I remember a dream just before I try it ?
Oh, and about the visualization part, how should I visualize the dream situation ? in first person or in third person ? because I found it hard to visualize in first person...

#83:  Author: milod789 PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2004
    ----
Ephemeral Chaos
Quote:
I have a question:
What happens if MILD is successful ? I mean, what happens in the dream if I succeed ?

This is different for every person. In my MILD/DILD I will just realize that I am dreaming. Iíll actually say ďthis is a dreamĒ. Other people will see a dreamsign and become lucid that way. Other people find themselves doing reality checks in dreams and that causes them to become lucid.

For me dream signs and RC donít do the trick. In my non WILD ís I somehow just realize that I am dreaming. It is like I just recognize the dream state.

The point of the MILD, DILD, and RC Ďs it to wake up your critical thinking in a dream so you recognize things for what they are. A dream.

#84:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2004
    ----
Ephemeral Chaos wrote:
I have a question:
Suppose I pictured myself flying and realizing that I am dreaming. Do I see the exact same situation in the dream ?

I think that the idea is to picture the dream that you had and picture yourself becomming lucid at a dreamsign.

Either way when the MILD technique works for me I usually just recognize the dream state, there have been a few times when I have re-entered my dream (which is what MILD is basically for) and became lucid that way.

ypm.

#85:  Author: Cyrus PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004
    ----
Yesterday i took a time to read this thread carefully. I added to my MILD technique the visualization part what ypm was talking about. So it went like usual ritual before sleep to autosuggest myself recognizing dream when i see a dream, to notice my dream signs, and that i have decided to have LD TONIGHT.

As the night went on, i woke some times between REM periods, and went to toilet + took some quick notes about my recent dream. Then instead of memorizing my intention only, i added visualization of my last dream. I didn't looked for dream signs (only reminded myself to be more careful if i remembered that i saw them during last ND), i just let the dream go through my mind again. Then i fall asleep. So today morning i had the same dream going on and on while i kept waking up between the scenes. I think that visualization helped me to continue the same dream from where it stopped before i woke up. In certain moment i started to act like lucid dreamer in this developing dream (it was almost half lucid dream, but still mostly ND). And after my final woke up and entering to sleep i become lucid just few moments after i started to see the development of my "everlasting" dream.

So thanks for sharing your tips. I'll try it again and see how much it actually works for me grin

#86:  Author: Cyrus PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004
    ----
Tonight i was more tired and remembered less dreams, and had more hard to do MILD during the short periods of awakening. But i still had a moment where i straight entered into LD (without having ND), and tried to improve my dream scene, but it remained like cartoon where you see pencil-riden contures, but what lack of the colors. I was in my appartment walking around and desperately wanting to modify my dream, but i was unable. Instead of bright LD colors, this low LD was dim and "boring".

If you calculate your dreams what you have gotten by doing MILD, then are majority of them high lucid level, or are most of them in low lucid level dreams that are in only developmental state?

BTW, can someone link me is there in those forums somewhere discussed about different levels of lucidity? I would like to get some scheme of different levels of LD-s (like low-level, middle-level, high-level, or smt like that)?

Thanks.

#87:  Author: ypm PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004
    ----
Hey Cyrus,

Good job with the MILD technique it seems as thought it is really working for you.

As far as my own personal experience is concerned the level of lucidity varies considerably regardless of how I achieve it. I have had what I conside to be high-level ld's from MILD as well as low-level ld's.

I think the level of lucidity depends on a variety of factors, including the technique used to induce the dream, but also other factors like how tired you are, you intention, your focus, your current stress levle and things like that.

In general I think the more lucid dreams you have the more frequently you will have higher level lucid dreams.

ypm.

#88:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004
    ----
Yes, i must say i agree with ypm when he says the more lucid dreams u have the more often you will have higher quality lucid dreams.

#89:  Author: Cyrus PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2004
    ----
Well, actually 5 of my 18 LD-s have been low level LD-s. So it might be some innate exception. If i will get more skilled with different techniques it might actually be that the % of low level LDs will rise a bit, but i will have LD-s more frequently at the same time, i believe.

#90:  Author: whispa PostPosted: Wed 13 Oct, 2004
    ----
The other night I kept telling myself I would have an LD, imagined what it would be like, said I'd wake up afterwards and remember loads etc. - fell asleep and had some ND's. The next night I didnt try MILD and got an LD.

#91:  Author: TheBranMuffin PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004
    ----
I have a question about MILD, but it's probably been asked before. I checked the library but I'm not sure it really applies:

When you're repeating your mantra over and over, do you have to keep conciously thinking of what it actually means, or can you just keep thinking it but not actually understand it everytime you repeat it, and if so, isn't that sort of like a WILD?

#92:  Author: Xetrov PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004
    ----
Hey Muffin,

For me it works best when i keep myself conscious of what the mantra actually realy means. While i say it, i also try to feel/visualise what it means to go lucid. I guess for most people this counts, and it is also recommended by Laberge in his book EWLD.

#93:  Author: TheBranMuffin PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004
    ----
Alright, that makes sense. I ahd an LD last night when I tried a MILD, and I understood it for the most part and visualized etc., but when I fell asleep I was mainly just repeating it. Otherwise, it would've been a WILD I guess.

#94:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004
    ----
Yea, I'd say that it definatly helps to think about what your Mantra means because will increase the dtermination of your intention

#95:  Author: tombo PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005
    ----
Hey there I started doing MILD 2 days ago, now I have some questions:
1)As for setting the intent, can I just use: "I have a lucid dream" ? Cause if think the shorter the better, but I'm not very experienced, so please could you give me some advice.
Or is it important to use: "I'm going to dream now. I'm in a dream. I'm aware of my dream."

2) The MILD technique by Laberge is a little different to the one presented here: He uses a dream he remembers to imagine becoming lucid while here you guys don't do that. Does it matter?

Thanks Tom!

#96:  Author: omega3 PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005
    ----
I tried this last night, I told myself if I was at school, home, or around the town it was a dream. Well, it worked against me, I went lucid for a few seconds after finding myself at home...but I later found myself at the mall in an ND.

#97:  Author: Doba PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005
    ----
Question 1: For how long do you repeat your MILD-mantra before you fall asleep?

Question 2: I'm curious about this as I wonder if the fact that I almost always fall asleep 2 minutes after I go to bed affects my possibilty of having a lucid dream. Do you think so?

#98:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005
    ----
tombo wrote:
As for setting the intent, can I just use: "I have a lucid dream" ? Cause if think the shorter the better

You can. Iíve been using this technique with some success for months. Moreover, if you think itís better... then itís better ! smile

tombo wrote:
The MILD technique by Laberge is a little different to the one presented here: He uses a dream he remembers to imagine becoming lucid while here you guys don't do that.

Youíre right. If somebody told above that MILD was just repeating a sort of mantra before sleeping, he made a mistake. Thatís not MILD, thatís autosuggestion (and it works, too).

Doba wrote:
For how long do you repeat your MILD-mantra before you fall asleep? I'm curious about this as I wonder if the fact that I almost always fall asleep 2 minutes after I go to bed affects my possibilty of having a lucid dream.

It doesnít matter. In the Couť method for instance (an autosuggestion method), itís said you have to repeat a sentence 20 times. Other people prefer to repeat their mantra until they fall asleep, so their last thought before sleep is related to LD. It could be also interesting, as Iíve read that HI is closely related to your last thoughts (I didnít verify by myself). Thus, falling asleep quickly doesnít affect you LDíing possibilities. grin

#99:  Author: char99bok PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2005
    ----
I'm going to try to MILD tonight.. it's my first time, and I hope I get some results. smile

#100:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2005
    ----
char99bok,
you'll have to try for few days before it gives some results. Some people have results in the very short term, but generally, it needs a week or two before it's effective (like all suggestion techniques).

#101:  Author: char99bok PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2005
    ----
Thanks!

Well, I didn't have a lucid dream, but I did wake up after every dream and I remember two of them very vividly. So it's a start! I'm going to try and MILD every day for a little bit until I get the hang of it.

#102:  Author: renko PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005
    ----
sorry if this has already been asked or something but can MILD help increase dream recall? If I say to myself "I will go to sleep, I will dream, I will remember my dream, I will write down my dream in my journal when I wake up." instead of things to get me lucid will it help me remember my dreams better? Im just starting out and I need to improve my recall.

#103:  Author: Skidzz PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005
    ----
Renko, I believe it does. When I first started out, that's what I did. I told myself I'd wake up right after I dreamt and that I'd vividly recall the dream. It worked. smile First night I recalled -- I dunno -- 3, 4, 5... I think 5 dreams? And I woke up right after each one so I could write them down. It's a subconcious thing. Try telling yourself you need to wake up at 6:30 and odds are you will. It works for me like that anyway. Give it a shot. smile

#104:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005
    ----
Well... It seems that we have to recapitulate what is really MILD (the original method), before there is too much confusion on this thread. overspannen

The Lucidity Institute FAQ wrote:

Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams (MILD)
The MILD technique employs prospective memory, remembering to do something (notice you're dreaming) in the future. Dr. LaBerge developed this technique for his doctoral dissertation and used it to achieve lucid dreaming at will. The proper time to practice MILD is after awakening from a dream, before returning to sleep.

Setup dream recall.
Set your mind to awaken from dreams and recall them. When you awaken from a dream, recall it as completely as you can.

Focus your intent.
While returning to sleep, concentrate single-mindedly on your intention to remember to recognize that you're dreaming. Tell yourself: "Next time I'm dreaming, I will remember I'm dreaming," repeatedly, like a mantra. Put real meaning into the words and focus on this idea alone. If you find yourself thinking about anything else, let it go and bring your mind back to your intention.

See yourself becoming lucid.
As you continue to focus on your intention to remember when you're dreaming, imagine that you are back in the dream from which you just awakened (or another one you have had recently if you didn't remember a dream on awakening). Imagine that this time you recognize that you are dreaming. Look for a dreamsign--something in the dream that demonstrates plainly that it is a dream. When you see it say to yourself: "I'm dreaming!" and continue your fantasy. Imagine yourself carrying out your plans for your next lucid dream. For example, if you want to fly in your lucid dream, imagine yourself flying after you come to the point in your fantasy when you become lucid.

Repeat until your intention is set.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 until either you fall asleep or are sure that your intention is set. If, while falling asleep, you find yourself thinking of anything else, repeat the procedure so that the last thing in your mind before falling asleep is your intention to remember to recognize the next time you are dreaming.

#105:  Author: Xetrov PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005
    ----
Yes indeed Basilus, what renko asked after is actually called autosuggestion, a form of self-hypnosis aimed at triggering a subconscious response. MILD as defined originally by Laberge uses this in step 2, so it is a very important aspect of it, yet not totally the same (but it's understandably confused at times).

#106:  Author: renko PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005
    ----
Ok so the difference between autosuggestion and MILD is that you visualize yourself doin the thing you are saying in MILD? or something like that? Is MILD more effective than autosuggestion?

#107:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005
    ----
Quote:
so the difference between autosuggestion and MILD is that you visualize yourself doin the thing you are saying in MILD? or something like that?

That's what I understand too. In MILD, you've to work on your past dreams, and visualize yourself becoming lucid in them.
Quote:
Is MILD more effective than autosuggestion?

Both work rather well. About what works better with you, I suppose it's merely a matter of preference...

#108:  Author: Xetrov PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005
    ----
renko wrote:
Ok so the difference between autosuggestion and MILD is that you visualize yourself doin the thing you are saying in MILD? or something like that? Is MILD more effective than autosuggestion?

Autosuggestion is a part of MILD. Personally, I find that MILD works better then autosuggestion alone, and I think this is why Laberge "invented" MILD in the first place. It kind of increases the effectivity of the autosuggestion if you also visualise a scene in which you perform the action you are suggesting to yourself (in this case, become lucid during a dream). So to conclude, MILD = autosugestion + visualising.

#109: 1st Induced Lucid Dream! Author: VeeDreams PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005
    ----
I believe this is my first induced lucid dream. I woke up early this morning, earlier than my normal time because I had some stuff to take care of and I knew I could go back to sleep when it was done. So, I thought I should take advantage of this time to try to have a lucid dream. Well, I had one but it was not in the place I wanted it to be. It was in my apartment where most of my lucid dreams seem to occur. I wanted it to be at my friend's house.

While I was falling asleep I kept repeating to myself that I will be aware that I am dreaming over and over until I fell asleep. I also repeated that I wanted to have it at my friend's house. But that part didn't work. eek2

Oh, I have to mention I woke up around 7am went back to sleep around 10am and woke back up after having 1 lucid dream and 1 regular dream about 2 and a half hours later.

Here is the lucid dream I had...

I'm in my apartment. It is daytime. I go into the bedroom and stand by the bed by my bedroom door. I noticed that it is daytime by looking out my bedroom window from where I am standing by my bedroom door. I go into the livingroom and hear music playing on the radio. It is a James Taylor song, I think it's called 'Operator' or 'That's not the way it feels'. I go back into the bedroom and hear the same song playing on the bedroom radio. Both are playing at the same time. I stand on the same side of the bed again by the door and peek over into the living room to look out the window and I notice the shade is pulled down and I am the only one here and I did not do it. This is when I realize I am in a dream and I become afraid of what willl happen next because of the shade being pulled down. So, I panic and wake myself up.

I do this in most of my lucid dreams, panic and wake myself up mainly due to my fear of the unknown or not feeling that I have total control when I really do have control because it's my dream.

I was upset at myself when I woke up in this reality. grrr

Maybe I need some type of affirmaton to say before I go to sleep to help me not to panic or be afraid when I realize something is different in my surroundings in my dream and to just use it or change it around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks! smile

#110:  Author: VeeDreams PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2005
    ----
Oh, I also wanted to mention...

If you notice in my signiture it says LD = 2. I had a natural lucid dream on April 1st and I paniced and woke myself up in that one too because my lamp was missing. The light switch I touched to turn on my hall light did not work either but that did not make me panic, the missing lamp did. Weird huh? lach1

Well, by this lucid dream occuring on April 1st, I felt that my subconscious may have been playing an April fools joke on me by removing my lamp. lach1

Hey, anything is possible, right? wink

#111:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005
    ----
VeeDreams wrote:
I do this in most of my lucid dreams, panic and wake myself up mainly due to my fear of the unknown. [...] Maybe I need some type of affirmaton to say before I go to sleep to help me not to panic or be afraid....

Negative suggestions (not to be afraid for instance) are said not to be very good. You just have to convince yourself it's wonderful to be lucid! 8D
But I don't think you need this, indeed. It's rather normal to panic when facing unknown. In your further dreams, you'll certainly and naturally behave in a more calm way. ^^

#112:  Author: VeeDreams PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005
    ----
Thanks, Basilus. wink

I see what you mean. I just have to get use to it. It is a fear of the unknown and I'm starting to realize now that there is nothing to fear in my dreams.

I have only felt comfortable in a few of my lucid dreams. I want to have more like that soon. I feel I will be calmer in the future because now I am understanding what LD's are and how great they can be. :D

#113: MILD's how does it work? Author: Brambleburr PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005
    ----
When you sucess with MILD, what happens? I mean... do you know that youre dreaming when you start dreaming, or do you just happen to do an RC cause you told yourself to do so before falling asleep?
And another thing: If you do MILD without WBTB, do you have LD's during nREM or what? I just don't get it smile

#114:  Author: Jack PostPosted: Sun 01 May, 2005
    ----
1.Any can happen- you may just notice you`re dreaming, you may just remember to test the reality....no rules here really.
2.No.Lds during nonREM happen(or so we think - theres really no way of telling without eeg machine) regardless of technique.

Let me explain MIILD to you.Its pretty simple- MILD is basically all you do about dreaming in general- your RCs, your dream diary, your thoughts during the day, reading about dreams, keepening the awareness...etc.
As you can say from the description theres no one proper way of doing MILD although you can do some things "better"
1.Dream Diary - note your dreams(or emotions, or anything you can remember when waking up)
2.After few weeks you should be able to spot "dream signs"(DS)- things that occur in your dreams most often.Such as school or riding on the bus, or water or sex or...etc.
3.Once you have the list of your ds you can start doing your RCs according to them.I.e- you dream often about swimming.Then you do your RCS when you swim or when you think of swimming..etc.Anything thats connected with your ds somehow.
Apart of doing RCs you can state to yourself out loud before sleeping(or anytime) "im dreaming when im swimming".Its important to do so.

Of course you can go your own way when doing MILD ,i just gave you the example combo that may enhance lucid dreaming.
Good luck

#115: ??? Author: Brambleburr PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005
    ----
Jack wrote:

2.No.Lds during nonREM happen(or so we think - theres really no way of telling without eeg machine) regardless of technique.

Maby it's a little bit (or a big bit tounge2) off topic, but what's the point by doing wild as you go to sleep the first time, then?
(I've read that pro's can do that)

#116:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005
    ----
You're right Brambleburr, it's possible to have LD's during nREM sleep.

#117:  Author: Jeremy PostPosted: Mon 02 May, 2005
    ----
Quote:
You're right Brambleburr, it's possible to have LD's during nREM sleep.

You don't have dreams in nREM sleep. In the case of WILD, you either...

a)Simply remain conscious through nREM sleep, then go into a dream when you get there.
or
b)Skip right to REM.

I am not sure which though.

#118:  Author: Jack PostPosted: Tue 03 May, 2005
    ----
actually.......
1.Indeed theres much smaller chance to have ld when doing WILD when going to bed first time.WILD tech is to be done after some sleep(but that does not mean one can not try other times)
2.If you sleep deprived REM starts earlier and sometimes even right off

It is said it is possibile to have nonrem lds.I just pointed out that one has no chance to say wheter his/her dream was in REM or nonrem phase without equipment.
What you have quoted means that lds in nonrem can happen wheter you have done WILD,MILD or any -ild

#119:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005
    ----
Jeremy wrote:
You don't have dreams in nREM sleep.

Here is my answer.

Quote:
"Foulkes's findings when they appeared in 1962, [...] supported findings on the significant number of NREM dream reports in an earlier paper by a team of researchers at the Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn (Goodenough, Shapiro, Holden, & Steinschriber, 1959). There also was an extensive study by Kamiya (1961) showing the same results."

Quote:
"The brainstem theorists [...] have altered their original theory, which claimed that dreaming only occurred during REM, to acknowledge some dreaming during Stage II NREM late in the sleep period (Hobson, 1992; Hobson et al., 2000)." Domhoff, G. W. (2001). A new neurocognitive theory of dreams.

Quote:
"There are marked differences between NREM dreams and REM dreams. NREM dreams tend to be anchored in reality and experienced as a semiconscious state of serenity. REM dreams are markedly "bizarre", lacking common sense, logic and often characterized by quick transitions in plot and setting. Often, when a person is awakened from REM sleep, they remember vividly the events of their dreams". Robert R. Miller, 1998.

About the amount of NREM dreams:

Quote:
"While as many as 70-95% of people awakened during REM remember their dreams, only 5-10% of those awakened during NREM report dreams." The American Psychoanalytic Association

But it seems that this poor dream rate during NREM sleep is only due to a poor dream recall.

Quote:
"The experimental design created by Herman et al. (1978) included two laboratory assistants who served as the "experimenters" and four groups, each with 10 participants. The key variable was the false belief that some participants were being given a drug that had been found to increase dream recall from 20% to 92% in NREM sleep and from 86% to 99% in REM sleep. [...] The study showed that raising the expectancy of dream recall in either the experimenters or the participants could increase the frequency of dream reports from NREM awakenings." G. William Domhoff, University of California, 2001

Some recent experiments seems to show that there are at least as much nREM dreams as REM dreams.

#120:  Author: darkmatter PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun, 2005
    ----
Jack wrote:
1.Any can happen- you may just notice you`re dreaming, you may just remember to test the reality....no rules here really.

Let me explain MIILD to you.Its pretty simple- MILD is basically all you do about dreaming in general- your RCs, your dream diary, your thoughts during the day, reading about dreams, keepening the awareness...etc.
As you can say from the description theres no one proper way of doing MILD although you can do some things "better"
1.Dream Diary - note your dreams(or emotions, or anything you can remember when waking up)
2.After few weeks you should be able to spot "dream signs"(DS)- things that occur in your dreams most often.Such as school or riding on the bus, or water or sex or...etc.
3.Once you have the list of your ds you can start doing your RCs according to them.I.e- you dream often about swimming.Then you do your RCS when you swim or when you think of swimming..etc.Anything thats connected with your ds somehow.
Apart of doing RCs you can state to yourself out loud before sleeping(or anytime) "im dreaming when im swimming".Its important to do so.

Of course you can go your own way when doing MILD ,i just gave you the example combo that may enhance lucid dreaming.
Good luck

*smacks forhead*

I had no idea that your RC's should be used along with your DS. I was simply doing RC's whenever I saw something weird, now i'm gonna go through my journal and look at whats common in my dreams. Thank You So Much!

#121:  Author: The_Dreamer PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005
    ----
Hello.
I just wanted to inform you guys that I had my second Lucid dream tonight grin I think it was like 3-5 min long.

In the past days I have had some problems remebering my dreams
because I`m working on WILD. But yesterday I decidet to fresh up my dream recall so I focus on that. I think I focused so hard on it so it seemed like some kind of MILD.

In my second "big"(longer then just 3 sec) lucid dream I had much more Controll. I even scared a DC friend (not IRL) so much that he suddently was the Hulk!

hehe, I`m really glad that I had this Lucid dream. smile

Ps. I postet it here because I used some kind of MILD.

#122:  Author: ags_rule PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005
    ----
VeeDreams wrote:
Thanks, Basilus. wink

I see what you mean. I just have to get use to it. It is a fear of the unknown and I'm starting to realize now that there is nothing to fear in my dreams.

I have only felt comfortable in a few of my lucid dreams. I want to have more like that soon. I feel I will be calmer in the future because now I am understanding what LD's are and how great they can be. :D

It can sometimes be a very scary experience in a lucid dream.

In my very first proper one, my body felt heavy and I collapsed to the ground under my own weight. I pulled myself out and yelled as loud as I could, 'INCREASE LUCIDITY NOW!' and it really worked. That was really the only time I was scared in an LD.

But I'll tell you something, I frequently get scared of making myself scared in LDs! Because I know if I do that something bad is definetely gonna happen!

#123:  Author: StEvE21 PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005
    ----
Need an explaination, plz
In mild, for the visualization part- do i just visualize an image (like a picure) of myself realizing im dreaming, or like a few seconds (or a scene from a dream) of myself realizing im dreaming?

#124:  Author: Xetrov PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005
    ----
The last one, Steve.

#125:  Author: StEvE21 PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2005
    ----
Thx xetrov
Ive been trying autosuggestion and MILD the past week.
And I almost had a LD last night

#126:  Author: Olesia PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006
    ----
From what I understood, it seems like MILD doesn't always results in a LD, even if practiced every night. I mean, even if you do MILD every night, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're gonna have an LD every night. Cause I got the impression that it's like that for most people, correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is, do your chances of getting an LD increase overtime if you're always doing MILD, or does it stop at some point where you're limited to a certain amount of LDs per week (only using MILD that is) or something?

Hehe, anyone know what I mean? lol. I'm not very good with explanations... geenidee

Dream on. // Olesia

#127:  Author: asclepius PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2006
    ----
OlesiaTheDreamer wrote:

My question is, do your chances of getting an LD increase overtime if you're always doing MILD, or does it stop at some point where you're limited to a certain amount of LDs per week (only using MILD that is) or something?

Olesia,
I'm practising WBTB and MILD every night. I don't get LD every night. But this technique does work for me. Since I started in November, I am slowly increasing frequency of LDs.

I am trying to find right level of effort using MILD. If I focus too hard I can't sleep. If I do it too quick, I just get normal dreams.

#128:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2006
    ----
Yes indeed, like all the techniques which are based upon autosuggestion, MILD doesn't give you a LD everytime you practice it. It's a long term technique. You generally have to practice it every night.

I don't know how you'll be limited when you practice MILD. It mainly depends on motivation.

#129:  Author: Tomthebomb PostPosted: Sat 04 Feb, 2006
    ----
I practice WBTB and MILD as often as I can(I always wake up in the middle of the night). I am seemingly limited to about two LD per week. Though, I have had as many as 4 in the same night(early morning). I came here to learn to induce them at will. I will keep trying! But I think MILD is probably the easiest method for beginners. I haven't tried WILD yet, because I didn't know about it, but I will now.

#130:  Author: Olesia PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2006
    ----
Basilus West wrote:
It's a long term technique.

So, if you practice MILD every night for 2 years, it's eventually going to increase the number of LD's you have per month/week? Because right now I only get about 1 LD/week with MILD (and I can't do WILD successfully), so I'm just wondering if the number of LD's is going to increase overtime or not.

Dream on. // Olesia

#131:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2006
    ----
Olesia, as I said above, it mainly depends on motivation. Pr Laberge said that, when he had to write his thesis, he made a lot of LD's, about 5 LD's/week. When his thesis was over, he just had 1 LD/week. When he started again experiments, he had again many LD's.

Some people noticed they had to change their autosuggestion sentence when their LD's amount was falling down in order to have LD's again.

#132:  Author: asclepius PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006
    ----
Basilus West wrote:
Some people noticed they had to change their autosuggestion sentence when their LD's amount was falling down in order to have LD's again.

My experience is that your suggestion sentence has to engage your mind. If its just repetitive words, you ignore the meaning and don't become lucid.

#133:  Author: Iluminada PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2006
    ----
Asclepius: Good point.

I've seen my comment mentioned before but I can't help but see that MILD is more of an enhancing technique rather than a resultive technique such as WILD or WBTB.

I don't think it impossible to do but I agree with a post Moog made way back in this thread. MILD'ng on it's own will produce infrequent LDs but working it with the others makes the probability of LD'ng greater.

The people I've talked to, books and materials I've read and some of the posters here seem to use MILD along with something, very few on their own.

#134: MILD is the best!!! Author: asclepius PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006
    ----
Every weekend I get tempted to try WILD, and end up spending hours on the edge of sleep, vainly chasing HI. So far 0 WILDs. But quite a few MILDs.

Initially I only had LDs when using WBTB plus MILD. Now I've had some LDs during first REM cycle using MILD before I go to sleep. When I recognize the DS and become lucid, I know I'm lucid and don't have to try RCs.

I am still practicing, but getting better (more LDs, longer LDs). My version of MILD is based on LaBerge's writing.

I remember a ND with a DS that I missed, I recall the scene and imagine that in the dream I recognized the DS, and become lucid.
I tell myself
"The next time I am dreaming I will Remember to Recognize that I am dreaming."
Then I rearrange this sentence using different versions.
e.g. "I will remember when I'm dreaming to realize that I'm dreaming."

Try to emphasize memory (just like telling yourself to wake up a specific time), and recognition (you will think in the dream about DS proving its a dream). Try to keep these thoughts in your head as you fall asleep.

#135:  Author: Tggtt PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006
    ----
Since my first try the MILD was very very very successfull, i could remember much more hours of dreaming!

I was told that is because my memory!

I had many LD all life, but most times i wasnt really sure about it, and I still have fears of doing a mistake and discover that it wasn't a dream!

(I can remember dreams for almost every sleep longer than 3 hours, but RCs dont work! They seem real as real life!)

#136:  Author: Datameister PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006
    ----
Hey Tggtt, have you ever attempted the nose-plugging RC in a dream? It should work remarkably well, especially if you try it a few times. While sleeping, your breathing becomes totally involuntary, and even while dreaming you can't control it. So plugging your nose in the dream doesn't cause you to stop breathing in real life; you can then feel the breathing sensation during the dream. Pretty fool-proof, usually. Make sure you're expecting to be able to breathe!

#137:  Author: Amused Himself to Death PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006
    ----
So last night I did MILD before going to bed, woke up at 5:30 and did the WBTB method, and did MILD again. I had a really vivid dream, I sort of knew I was dreaming already, and when somebody said "Tomorrow you are going to die." to me, I realized I was dreaming, I got up from my chair, and yelled, "I'm dreaming", but I got woken up by my alarm clock.

I really hope I don't die tomorrow, that would suck. Stupid DC's, they got me on edge sadblauw

#138:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006
    ----
Quote:
I really hope I don't die tomorrow, that would suck.

Yes, it would suck. wink Don't worry about this dream content, there are tons of dreams like that.

#139:  Author: Amused Himself to Death PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006
    ----
So in the last week, I've had a couple of Lucid Dreams using the MILD method. Although they've only lasted about a total of 15 seconds, I seem to be making progress. In my last one I was spinning, but I still blacked out. Now, after I blacked out, I felt like I smacked my arm into something. I was still conciouss in the blackness for about 3 seconds, then I lost conciousness again.
Anyways, when it went black, do you think that I smacked something in my dream (DC, pole, some sort of Dream Monkey, etc.) or was it me temporarily awake smacking something in my bathroom?

Yes, I was sleeping on my bathroom floor. Wanna fight about it wink5

#140:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006
    ----
I think you smacked something in the dream, but perhaps this event was inspired by the feeling of the bathroom floor.
I remember I've had such a dream: I was in a grey void and I was beginning to lose consciousness when I was bumped by a DC. This made me conscious again.
You should try the rubbing hands technique when you're in the blackness, or try to feel the floor with your hands, etc. It's likely to make the images reappear. And if you have no feelings, you often lose consciousness very easily.

The first thing you should do in LD's is looking at your hands, then stare at them from time to time. It's a prolonging technique, so your LD's will last more than 15 seconds. smile

#141:  Author: Somnio Forte PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006
    ----
...my thread is the official MILD topic? Cool.

#142:  Author: Amused Himself to Death PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006
    ----
Thanks for that tip on feeling the floor, Basilus, because of it, I had my first LD (well, atleast the first one that didn't end as soon as it started). It was interesting, I realized I was dreaming when my dad saw me through the back of his head, and I blacked out again. But I took your advice, felt the floor, which felt like a wooden floor for some reason, and imagined a new dream setting. I found myself in a very cartoony version of my street, it was great. Although it only lasted 45 seconds, I'm really happy with my progress so far.

Thanks again smile

#143:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006
    ----
Waw! You had a long LD? And because of my advice? hurray I feel so happy! And congrats on your LD! applaus

#144:  Author: Amused Himself to Death PostPosted: Sat 06 May, 2006
    ----
Yeah, it was your help smile
It seems to me that people who help other people like to see progress from the people they're helping. lol, hard sentence to type.

<mod>Part II has reached ten pages and is locked. You'll find the BIG MILD topic part III here</mod>

LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

Page 1 of 1
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com