the BIG MILD topic [part II]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

#91:  Author: TheBranMuffin PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004
    ----
I have a question about MILD, but it's probably been asked before. I checked the library but I'm not sure it really applies:

When you're repeating your mantra over and over, do you have to keep conciously thinking of what it actually means, or can you just keep thinking it but not actually understand it everytime you repeat it, and if so, isn't that sort of like a WILD?

#92:  Author: Xetrov PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov, 2004
    ----
Hey Muffin,

For me it works best when i keep myself conscious of what the mantra actually realy means. While i say it, i also try to feel/visualise what it means to go lucid. I guess for most people this counts, and it is also recommended by Laberge in his book EWLD.

#93:  Author: TheBranMuffin PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2004
    ----
Alright, that makes sense. I ahd an LD last night when I tried a MILD, and I understood it for the most part and visualized etc., but when I fell asleep I was mainly just repeating it. Otherwise, it would've been a WILD I guess.

#94:  Author: Lucidity_Master PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004
    ----
Yea, I'd say that it definatly helps to think about what your Mantra means because will increase the dtermination of your intention

#95:  Author: tombo PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005
    ----
Hey there I started doing MILD 2 days ago, now I have some questions:
1)As for setting the intent, can I just use: "I have a lucid dream" ? Cause if think the shorter the better, but I'm not very experienced, so please could you give me some advice.
Or is it important to use: "I'm going to dream now. I'm in a dream. I'm aware of my dream."

2) The MILD technique by Laberge is a little different to the one presented here: He uses a dream he remembers to imagine becoming lucid while here you guys don't do that. Does it matter?

Thanks Tom!

#96:  Author: omega3 PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2005
    ----
I tried this last night, I told myself if I was at school, home, or around the town it was a dream. Well, it worked against me, I went lucid for a few seconds after finding myself at home...but I later found myself at the mall in an ND.

#97:  Author: Doba PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005
    ----
Question 1: For how long do you repeat your MILD-mantra before you fall asleep?

Question 2: I'm curious about this as I wonder if the fact that I almost always fall asleep 2 minutes after I go to bed affects my possibilty of having a lucid dream. Do you think so?

#98:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2005
    ----
tombo wrote:
As for setting the intent, can I just use: "I have a lucid dream" ? Cause if think the shorter the better

You can. Iíve been using this technique with some success for months. Moreover, if you think itís better... then itís better ! smile

tombo wrote:
The MILD technique by Laberge is a little different to the one presented here: He uses a dream he remembers to imagine becoming lucid while here you guys don't do that.

Youíre right. If somebody told above that MILD was just repeating a sort of mantra before sleeping, he made a mistake. Thatís not MILD, thatís autosuggestion (and it works, too).

Doba wrote:
For how long do you repeat your MILD-mantra before you fall asleep? I'm curious about this as I wonder if the fact that I almost always fall asleep 2 minutes after I go to bed affects my possibilty of having a lucid dream.

It doesnít matter. In the Couť method for instance (an autosuggestion method), itís said you have to repeat a sentence 20 times. Other people prefer to repeat their mantra until they fall asleep, so their last thought before sleep is related to LD. It could be also interesting, as Iíve read that HI is closely related to your last thoughts (I didnít verify by myself). Thus, falling asleep quickly doesnít affect you LDíing possibilities. grin

#99:  Author: char99bok PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2005
    ----
I'm going to try to MILD tonight.. it's my first time, and I hope I get some results. smile

#100:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2005
    ----
char99bok,
you'll have to try for few days before it gives some results. Some people have results in the very short term, but generally, it needs a week or two before it's effective (like all suggestion techniques).

#101:  Author: char99bok PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2005
    ----
Thanks!

Well, I didn't have a lucid dream, but I did wake up after every dream and I remember two of them very vividly. So it's a start! I'm going to try and MILD every day for a little bit until I get the hang of it.

#102:  Author: renko PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005
    ----
sorry if this has already been asked or something but can MILD help increase dream recall? If I say to myself "I will go to sleep, I will dream, I will remember my dream, I will write down my dream in my journal when I wake up." instead of things to get me lucid will it help me remember my dreams better? Im just starting out and I need to improve my recall.

#103:  Author: Skidzz PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005
    ----
Renko, I believe it does. When I first started out, that's what I did. I told myself I'd wake up right after I dreamt and that I'd vividly recall the dream. It worked. smile First night I recalled -- I dunno -- 3, 4, 5... I think 5 dreams? And I woke up right after each one so I could write them down. It's a subconcious thing. Try telling yourself you need to wake up at 6:30 and odds are you will. It works for me like that anyway. Give it a shot. smile

#104:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005
    ----
Well... It seems that we have to recapitulate what is really MILD (the original method), before there is too much confusion on this thread. overspannen

The Lucidity Institute FAQ wrote:

Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams (MILD)
The MILD technique employs prospective memory, remembering to do something (notice you're dreaming) in the future. Dr. LaBerge developed this technique for his doctoral dissertation and used it to achieve lucid dreaming at will. The proper time to practice MILD is after awakening from a dream, before returning to sleep.

Setup dream recall.
Set your mind to awaken from dreams and recall them. When you awaken from a dream, recall it as completely as you can.

Focus your intent.
While returning to sleep, concentrate single-mindedly on your intention to remember to recognize that you're dreaming. Tell yourself: "Next time I'm dreaming, I will remember I'm dreaming," repeatedly, like a mantra. Put real meaning into the words and focus on this idea alone. If you find yourself thinking about anything else, let it go and bring your mind back to your intention.

See yourself becoming lucid.
As you continue to focus on your intention to remember when you're dreaming, imagine that you are back in the dream from which you just awakened (or another one you have had recently if you didn't remember a dream on awakening). Imagine that this time you recognize that you are dreaming. Look for a dreamsign--something in the dream that demonstrates plainly that it is a dream. When you see it say to yourself: "I'm dreaming!" and continue your fantasy. Imagine yourself carrying out your plans for your next lucid dream. For example, if you want to fly in your lucid dream, imagine yourself flying after you come to the point in your fantasy when you become lucid.

Repeat until your intention is set.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 until either you fall asleep or are sure that your intention is set. If, while falling asleep, you find yourself thinking of anything else, repeat the procedure so that the last thing in your mind before falling asleep is your intention to remember to recognize the next time you are dreaming.

#105:  Author: Xetrov PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr, 2005
    ----
Yes indeed Basilus, what renko asked after is actually called autosuggestion, a form of self-hypnosis aimed at triggering a subconscious response. MILD as defined originally by Laberge uses this in step 2, so it is a very important aspect of it, yet not totally the same (but it's understandably confused at times).

LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
Page 7 of 10
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com