Challenging our assumptions

Author  Message 
Technodreamer
In mod disguise!
cookie lover

Challenging our assumptions
PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2005  Reply with quote

Hypothesis: Lucid dreaming is only as hard as you make it

In the past I have debated whether it is our assumptions about lucid dreaming that sometimes get in the way of achieving lucidity. Some people claim to have 20 or more lucid dreams a week and we scrutinise them, asking for proof.

Now I can see that it is very difficult to prove this, because all you can do is give dream diary entries. Recording down that many dreams is not easy work. Instead, I want to challenge our assumptions that we have formed on lucid dreaming.

I spoke to Freecube, who told me that in order to achieve lucid dreaming to this level you must believe that you can have 20 or more lucid dreams per night. I want to test this out.

This experiment will require altering your belief systems. It will also require some motivation to get lucid and some honesty when reporting results.

How this experiment will work is that we will have two groups. A group that will accept that it is really easy to achieve lucid dreaming based on other dreamer’s experiences that have had very good success with lucid dreaming. They would accept that what we are told is an assumption based on not so good experiences.

The second group will be a control group, who will attempt to have lucid dreams using the basic assumptions made on this site and on this forum.

The group accepting that the assumptions we make are wrong will get their own topic to boast about how easy lucid dreaming really is. Some of this group may or may not have to avoid the rest of the forum based on how easily the participant will take up the new assumptions. Therefore this group is best for newbies, although it would be interesting to see some more experienced lucid dreamers in this group as well.

The aim is to compare the results to see if there are any differences and to see how easy it might be to change our basic assumptions. In order for a fair experiment, the people participating should not be allowed to effect each other. Therefore they would have to post their results in a shade of text that matches the forum background. smile

Is anyone interested or does anyone have any suggestions?

Current LD goal(s): Remember dreams
JaRoD
LD Addict :P
cookie lover
Chat Mods

Sounds interesting smile

Ryane
O_o
Novice dreamer

id love to join in in this, because I have just started the process and once i have improved my DR I could be a good candidate to try this. As ive never tryed LDing I have no assumptions on it.
My DR is already getting better so shouldnt be long.

Xetrov
Nonexist
cookie lover

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2005  Reply with quote

But, not everything is based upon assumptions, as I try to explain time and again on this forum by relating to scientific stuff. I do not assume it is impossible to have 20 LD's a night, I know it's not possible. 6 or 7 ok, you just dont have more REM periods. But 6 would already be awesome! Yet, I do not assume that this is possible for anyone. Becomming lucid so often is not something you can merely "wish" to happen, since dreaming does involve some brain chemistry too. Call it part of LD - "talent" (something ppl like Freecube definately have).

However this does not mean this could not be an interesting experiment. It's actually one that I do myself quite often; if I can have a LD one night, I know I can have many more, however somehow it does not always seem to happen. Perhaps others can have more succes smile.

Iluminada
Dreamer of Peace...
cookie lover

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005  Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind participating. that is if you don't mind that I ask lots of questions.

Technodreamer
In mod disguise!
cookie lover

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005  Reply with quote

Quote:
I try to explain time and again on this forum by relating to scientific stuff.

Some people claim that they can despite knowing it is not scientifically sound. I therefore plan to try and scientifically find out the truth smile

Iluminada of course you can ask questions smile

Current LD goal(s): Remember dreams

print