Technology Limit?

Author  Message 
The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover
LD count: 2 crappy ones

Technology Limit?
PostPosted: Tue 19 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

How far in the future do you think that the limit of technological development is? Or, do you think that such a limit exists? I've been thinking about it but I can't find a solid answer. whatsthat I'd like to know what you think.

mystic
Dream Templar
LD4all addict

Perhaps yes, like the speed of light as the upper speed limit of the transmission of information. But I don't really (want to) know.. Some people believe in a so-called Technological Singularity which will happen at some point in the near future. For a decent explanation, see wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularit y

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Our improving technology will only be forcibly stopped (eg. humanity wiped out). There will always be something to improve, and something new to create.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
LD count: Many

I think things like the laws of physics may hinder technological advancement, or at least, slow us down. Basically I agree with Sureal, there will always be something to improve upon or something new to invent.

mystic
Dream Templar
LD4all addict

Another thing which crossed my mind.. Remember that the rational stage, the stage of information and hardcore science, is only a stage in a long mental evolution with technology being one of its main external features. Personally I highly doubt if the next stage in this ongoing evolution of shifting world views will just continue the ongoing technological evolution. I don't think we can imagine what the next stage will look like, in terms of external resources, technology, infrastructure, etc.. just in the same way as the people from the previous world view, the mythical one, could never have formed an idea of the scientific and industrial evolution which sparked the current age of rationality and information. This mental boundary exists, because the conditions for the next shift are still not fully formed. In terms of dialectics: currently we're seeing the world from a certain perspective, a certain thesis. At some point, after many ups and downs, we come to the point that "we've had it all". The result is often a some sort of counterperspective against the ruling thesis, the antithesis which is often very complex (these could range from Greenpeace to Chomsky). Out of thesis and antithesis eventually rises a synthesis (the parts become a whole), which includes both perspective and counterperspective and additional aspects which places the synthesis above its constituents. Synthesis then becomes the new thesis (the whole becomes the part again) and the cycle begins again.. I think we're currently in an era of strong antithesis building up against the ruling thesis of cold rationality and low morality (look at New Age, a perfect example of antithesis). The new synthesis will probably contain technological evolution AND the more spiritual, emotional aspects of humanity, which now still have to fight against the stable rational perspective. However, given the dialectical nature of evolution, it's highly likely that the new technology will be something we could never imagine today because we haven't yet developped the mental framework to interprete these higher levels of technology. We'll just have to wait smile

quiXote
Bibliomancer
Astral Explorer
LD count: many
Location: Where the wave of moonlight glosses the dim gray sands with light.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

Man will never harness electricity.
Man will never cross the ocean.
Man will never fly.
Man will never break the sound barrier.
Man will never make into space.
Man will never make it to the moon.
Man will never harness the power of the atom to generate awesome ammounts of power.

Sound familiar?
we always seem to overcome obsticals in ways of technilogical developement. if there is some stopping point - it is a LONG LONG ways off. Think how far away we are in proccessing data at the speed of light for instance-
Yes, we can use fiber optic technologies to transmit vast ammounts of data incredibly fast... but there is a flaw - the data must first be translated from electronic data that a computer or phone can understand into light, sent, and once again translated, but back into the electronic signal... see any need for improvement? Computers that can actually proccess using a visual signal might keep people busy for a while (phenomonly fast computers so i hear - they're tinkering with the idea someplace)
Cold Fussion anyone? i am sure it is possible, that will keep us busy for a few years, puting it into a practical use.
And then there is the ever popular improving what we alread have. simple things, life staplers, fountain pens, grommets, nametags, scalpels, windows...
imperfect technologies.
every single technology has vast room for improvement, and with each improvement, more improvement is opened for other technologies. an ongoing cycle that will last quite some time. i am in no fear to end of technilogical developement in the span of my lifetime, nor the lifetime of my future children.
i do however fear people becoming to reliable on technology to think for them resulting in mankind turning to fat technology driven drones, with a select few who mange, upkeep, and invent new technologies....

X

Current LD goal(s): ...
The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover

Fascinating. If there is always something to improve, will we become quasi-gods one day? (Always assuming we'll reach it)

quiXote
Bibliomancer
Astral Explorer
LD count: many
Location: Where the wave of moonlight glosses the dim gray sands with light.

Might be beneficial to add:
I have heard the humans a rather sound theory that humans will evolve into a similar but different species by the time this "technology wall" hits... but by that time, in being an advanced species we will either have mastered technology, have no need for it, or learn new ways to invent it to serve entirely different functions.
i do believe that if and when a technology wall comes around we will be these "quasi-gods" with machines and computers doing all our work for us, so that we can either become fat lazy drones, or citizens of a grand utopia.

X

Current LD goal(s): ...
PhanthomSpectre
Sun LuTang Recycled
Somniologist

The highest science is magic.

Nasa has started to learn about zero-point-energy, and is designing a propulsion systems right now.

'ZPM' is a fictional term used in the show Stargate for a zero point module.

Infrasonics can pick up sound emitions from chikung masters, thus making a certain healing technology possible.

People are now starting to learn about the global consciousness, also called the collective unconscious.

There are technologies that exist that are not even implemented as they would cause oil companies to go out of business. So what do these companies do? they buy the patents and perpetuate the groaning and pain of the masses for their own gain.

In every essence of the word, there is still a large portion of existence that goes unnoticed, for if more attention was paid to it, things would not be as they are now.
They would be better.

ThePromethean
ShantihShantihShanti
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007  Reply with quote

humanity is not yet a type 1 civilisation. we have yet to harness the energy of our own planet completely, let alone our local star or galaxy. guys, your just being silly.

Anyone who claims that scienece will never advance to a specific level WILL be proved wrong.

Anyone who claims that science will eventually reach a level where it can no longer advance will NEVER be proved right.

Fadem
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
LD count: Not Enough

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007  Reply with quote

ThePromethean wrote:
humanity is not yet a type 1 civilisation. we have yet to harness the energy of our own planet completely, let alone our local star or galaxy. guys, your just being silly.

Anyone who claims that scienece will never advance to a specific level WILL be proved wrong.

Anyone who claims that science will eventually reach a level where it can no longer advance will NEVER be proved right.

Good that you mention this, I happened to find this very interesting piece by Dr. Michio Kaku of the city university of NY : http://www.mkaku.org/articles/physics_of_et.html

StEvE21
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007  Reply with quote

Amazing article, Fadem. Thanks for posting that link.

Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover

Man conquered the skies, has harnessed the power of our earth, we made it to space. Man's technology IS limitless. The only way that it could stop is if man is completely wiped out down to the last being. I mean come on, In ancient times, if they saw a F22 raptor streak across the sky.. They would.. well they would be pretty stoked.

Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.
The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover

Humanity will end when resources end. And thus technology.

The only hope is to eventually bail outta this universe some day, like Dr. Kaku suggests. And find something on the other side.

Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover

When our resources end we will have by that time, found a new way to do things IE: sources of energy, or our technology will have brought us to a point of space exploration so we can extract resources from other planets. Call me crazy if you want.lachgroen

Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.

print