EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Too scared to LD

Author  Message 
Logite2005

Too scared to LD
PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

Yeah, well i've been looking over these forums, and many of the posts have things that really freak me out, i.e. 'demonic voices while trying to W.I.L.D.' or 'people knocking outside your window' etc. I know it's all in the head, but still it's scary and that's what gets me, I doubt I even want to try to LD anymore. Just wanted to thank you guys in the forums for helping me out cry

Carnun
Pasta Salami!
cookie lover
LD count: 5

Don't think of it as scary... think of it as exciting!! Besides... those experiences don't happen to everyone. There are alot more normal experiences that people enjoy, they just don't get as much mention.

SO don't be scared... its not that scary really.

Fiver
repentant
Dream Deity

Nothing even remotely like that has ever happened to me, and even though I've only been doing this a few months, I've had severy lucid dreams.

Xetrov
Nonexist
cookie lover

Indeed, no need to become scared. Personally I think it is a very bad development if new people come to this forum and become scared because of what they read. Perhaps we should point out a bit more the positive sides of LDs.... ITS JUST SUPER COOL. There! smile.

I don't think they are scary, I think they are cool experiences grin But if you get scared from this stuff then don't try to WILD smile There are lots of other 'safer' techniques smile (and I must say, I had lots of WILDs and I never got that 'creepy' stuff from it) and like the others said, these happen only to a bunch of people. So don't let it scare you from all the fun grin

Fadem
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
LD count: Not Enough

If ur scared of creepy stuff when doing WILD... Don't do WILD.

(The Moron solution used by Fadem, lol)

cheesebacon
Alchoholic/Felon/FUN
Novice dreamer

Hey dude, I'm in the same boat you are, so I completely know what you mean. There are few things I remember to make getting into Lucid Dreams easier on myself.

1) If you donít want to do WILD, donít. Itís not necessary. You can pretty much avoid hypnagogic sounds that way, if thatís what you are worried about.

2) Those horror stories are blown out of proportion. Almost every person on this board is doing Lucid Dreaming. Count the number of general posters and then count the number of people who post about frightening experiences. WellÖ donít, actually. Exact numbers arenít important. The point is that the vast majority of people donít consistently have any of those scary stories. The reason they are posted is because they are out of the ordinary. No one would come here if the board were flooded with posts like this:

Topic: WILD worked again
Body: I didnít hear the devil or get SP again last night. Thought Iíd let you know.

Fascinating entry, huh? If everyone here were to post these on a daily basis, there is a good chance youíd have to wade through many of these before you got the OHMYGODITHOUGHTIWASDYING posts. Donít get the wrong impression about how frequent they are because of the number of those posts on these boards.

3) Do you ever sit home alone and look over your shoulder ďknowingĒ something is there? Do you ever ďhearĒ that thing make a sound? Next time donít look. Thatís voluntary sleep paralysis. Youíve consciously made the decision not to see the nonexistent thing. The difference between that occurrence and SP is only that SP is not voluntary. You donít get to make a conscious decision to look or not. If you donít know whatís going on, itís easy for that experience to snowball into something more tangible like sounds or, more rarely, images. Your mind races to fill in the blanks of what is going on around you. But youíre lucky, you came here, you know what is actually going on. Even if you donít realize it, just by reading these posts youíve subconsciously internalized what is really happening during that experience. Youíll realize that if the shadow of that chair in the corner of your eye doesnít attack you in real life, it wonít make any more of an effort to attack while youíre in your bed. Besides, itís a freakin chair, dude.

The last piece of advice I can give you is just this: If you donít know if you can beat the experience mentally, wear a blinder, and sleep on your stomach. You can often convinve yourself youíre still asleep.

Sorry about the long read, but I hope this helps.

FireHorse
Lucid Swimmer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

A lot of exciting things are scary at first. alien

Cid Silverwing
Paladin of The Light
cookie lover

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

Logically, LD-s in which you induce through WILD can often range from being scary to horrifying. But if WILD is not the tech for you, don't use it and skip the scary crap. smile

Else, use WBTB + MILD and Guided Meditation.

Iluminada
Dreamer of Peace...
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

Don't be afraid, Logite2005

As it's been said already. Everyone's experience is different. Go for the LD you won't regret the experience.

Trung Of Wu
Squirrel King
Dream Deity

Fear

I know I ask alot of questions- sorry.

But I got another one-

How can I overcome fear?
I have a somewhat irrational fear of lucid dreaming for some reason, even though nothing really bad has happened in any of my dreams since the first few lds I had. I always fear something bad will happen, and I never wanna picture going lucid because everywhere that I ever am in a dream, I feel like it is a room and that some things I don't expect can be outside of the room, or even in the room. I'm really like that all the time, but I fear dreams even more cuz I'm afraid I'll lose control of my mind and my expectations will make these bad things come true. Even if I tell myself that it's all in my head, nothing can hurt me, I'm still in my bed, etc, It is still not enough to overpower this fear, which I personally find to be my biggest stumbling block to lucid dreaming- it makes me not even want to remember my normal dreams, so my diary has been empty for weeks! WTF!? Is anyone else like that?

I hope I explained it well enough. Please help- Thanks anyways.

Trung of Wu- Dreamer of the Last Dream

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

You could try picking up something that may comfort you (a sword or a gun or something).

Or just do what I do:

If you're afraid something will happen when you do something... do it and find out. Every time I've done thing, nothing bad has happened.

For example:

In one LD, I was afraid that if I opened my bedroom blind, there would be a monster or something outside it, waiting for me.

Even with this fear, I walked over to my blind and opened.

There was nothing outside.

Try and not let your fear dictate you. Do exactly what your afraid of doing, and you'll over come it smile.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Don't like the sound of WILD, then don't do WILD wink5. There are other techniques smile.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

I merged the posts about the same topic (but it mixed the replies a bit... confused )

Tazeron
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

If your like me... I was TERRIFIED to try it.
But after trying and trying... and failing to because lucid... you kind of set you mind to "I just dont care anymore... i accept it.. i jsut want to be lucid" smile

print