EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

A loop hole about teaching christianty in school...

Author  Message 
Kava
LD4all addict
LD4all addict

A loop hole about teaching christianty in school...
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

I heard there going to start teaching about the bible in school. I think thats cool, but how do you study the bible without teaching relegion? I hope society does let God back in. Im sick of atheist forcing us to denounce God. like the guy who wants to take out... "One nation under God" in the pledge of alegents (spelling sucks). I still dont know if I am a christian, but sence we have taken God out of our country we are on a downard spiral. It pisses me off that schools can no longer pray, but yet we gladly follow the athiest, by kissing there ***, and kicking God out. Schools are more violent now. Kids are out of control, and are confused. What would it hurt to pray in schools?

alex
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

I think you can study the bible in schools without teaching religion if you study it just like you would any other book for english class.
Quote:
Im sick of atheist forcing us to denounce God

I don't think atheists are forcing you to denounce God. They just don't want to be bothered with it at schools. If you are an atheist and you want to teach your children that there is no God, but at school God is mentioned everyday then that is going against your efforts to teach what you believe to your children. However, if you want to teach your children to believe in God, then not mentioning God in schools does not do any harm towards your teachings.
Quote:
that schools can no longer pray

what do you mean by that? surely students can still pray. They don't get told off do they?
Also if you have organised praying, then in what manner do you pray. different religions have different methods why choose one over another?
I say that in government schools, religion should be separated from the classroom. There can be optional religious classes but religion shouldn't be forced on anyone. If you have an independent school then let them teach what they like.

Tomas
The lucid dreamer
cookie lover

And i am sick and tired of being forced religion on me, as i am a atheist. If religion should be taught in school, then it should on the very least be voluntarely.

Religion in public school=mass brainwashing in my opinion..

Ambient.02
Generic Title
Novice dreamer

Teaching Christianity in school is stupid, because there are alot more religions then Christianity. Here in Canada religion in public schools is illegal for that reason. In order to teach religion in schools, they'd have to teach everything from Hinduism to Satanism to individual Native American tribe spiritual belifs.

It's nothing about kissing atheist ***, its about respect. You cannot force a ton of Muslims or Jews or Buddhists in school to pray to a Christian god. How would you like it if you were forced to practice Buddhism at school every day for your whole school time, because some old guys think it will keep kids inline? Religion has no place in school.

Astral Dreamer
Magic Dreamer
Somniologist
LD count: so many

I have to Agree with everything that kavaa said. am I the only person on this forum who believes in God? (when I say God I mean the one whom the Bible talks about you know The Big Man Upstairs") anyways I don't knock any-1 elses religion (unless they start to knock mine) I am just wondering if I am the only one who believes in God as the Spirit who created the universe.

Magic

btw I would back it 100%

Last edited by Astral Dreamer on Sat 08 Oct, 2005; edited 1 time in total
milod789
Night Explorer
LD4all addict

From what I have read and heard about it so far, the class does teach religion IMO therefore it should not be allowed in public schools. Fortunately, from what I understand, the class is voluntary. Since it is only open to the students who want to take it I don’t think the class will convert anyone. I would be surprised if the class gets much attendance at all in which case the schools will drop the class. In reality it is not much of a “loophole”. I predict that in many areas it will be an issue of much debate for a while and then just disappear.

Animahngo
Flying Rock!
Astral Explorer

Im sick of atheist forcing us to denounce God.

We aren't forcing you to, we, or at least I, just state that I don't believe there is a god, just like all of you Christians state you believe there IS a god, all the time, like in this board, like Christianity is the 'default' religion...-_-

like the guy who wants to take out... "One nation under God" in the pledge of alegents (spelling sucks)

OMEHGAAH! Why would ANYONE want to take THAT out of the the pledge!? Maybe because schools force you do say it (like mine does)whether you'r Christian or not. Christians, *SIGH*, can't take one little line out of the whole pledge that basically implies that the entire nation is christian ( WHICH IT ISN'T). Selfish Christians, TSK TSK!

I still dont know if I am a christian, but sence we have taken God out of our country we are on a downard spiral.

Er, let's see, separation of church and state occured in the fifties or so, right, and since then the US has become the second richest contry in the world, rich than before, obviously, and we've made our way closer to our peak. Oh, what else, probably one of the most technologically advanced nation on earth. OMEHGAAH! A real depression!!!

It pisses me off that schools can no longer pray,

Er, well, you can pray. Pray your little butt off (I'm not sure how accepting of swears this forum is...) If you're saying you're wondering why kids aren't forced to pray, or why there isn't time set aside in the school day to pray, then, again, er, how many different religions are there? Stop being so selfish, Christians...

but yet we gladly follow the athiest, by kissing there ***

Er, think of it like this: You aren't kissing our asses by taking Christianity out of the school system, the Christian 'higher ups' of the governmetn are obviously smarter than you and are wising up.' Wising up in that that are realizing, "Hey, there are many hundreds of religions and various belief systems, let's stop being selfish dicks, and be a little more accepting of their religions and beliefs, and a little LESS FORCEFUL with ours.

Yes, that's right, you ARE forceful with your religion, Christians. You guys are pretty much the self appointed default religion of the country. You're getting a little better now, but you''ve tried to force yourselves into school, governmetn, probably every othe major aspect of life in the US.

Schools are more violent now. Kids are out of control, and are confused.

Yes, maybe, but it has nothing to to with religion. Maybe it's because of drugs, bad parenting because all our parents have done drugs, too much freedom, not enough supervision...BUT OMEHGAAH, I know what will magically fix everything! CHRISTIANITY!! Hint, most of those out of control youngsters you're describing ARE christian.

What would it hurt to pray in schools?

It wouldn't, like I said, pray your *** off. But once christianity tries to force itself into schools as a required part of the day, that's when people get pissed. So you, you can go pray as much as you like, but leave the athiests the **** out of it....GAWD!

Animahngo
Flying Rock!
Astral Explorer

Yep, It's a long post, but maybe a silent prayer to ask 'god' to help you get through it would ease your troubles...

robcataus
LD noob
Novice dreamer

I find it ironic that atheists have so many problems with Christians. If you think about it, they pretty much epitomize everything they criticize religions for: their system of belief is just as groundless; they, too, "force" their beliefs on others; and there's no way to have a civilized debate with them because they are "right."

Seriously, why is it that people choose a system of belief that essentially is a lack of faith (while still being faith-based)? Agnosticism at least admits the possibility of a God, and is purely logic-driven.

Animahngo
Flying Rock!
Astral Explorer

Yep, generally, it's a hypocracy...I try not to force what I believe on people. Try being the key word. Anyway, I'm atheist, but I believe other things, it's not really a system of beliefs, more like a series of ideas that I constantly change around in my head, (holy christ, that was from dogma).

Animahngo
Flying Rock!
Astral Explorer

Oh yeah, that's where I was going. Atheism is lack of faith ina a christian or any god. But A person who is atheist, can still believe in other things in place of religion...I happen to believe that there are no gods or goddesses, but we, humans and animals, all have a spirit that exits our bodies once we die, and goes on to a spiritual plane where it reincarnations, goes to heaven, hell, anything. I believe the spiritual conscience in powerful enough to create and ideal afterlife that suits itself. And until then, until we die, we just live a normal human live, or not so normal, we just live, with no divine influence or anything of that sort. But my beliefs always change, so I like to think of them as Ideas.

NotGuest
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Re: A loop hole about teaching christianty in school...

kavaa wrote:
I still dont know if I am a christian, but sence we have taken God out of our country we are on a downard spiral.

Well first off, we will never take religion out of our or any country. Its impossible. Oh yeah, and its in our first ammendment. And somewhere along those lines, we had a BRILLIANT IDEA That Church and State would be separated. Of course, we never got around to fully doing this. Oh well.
You want religious education? Go to sunday school. Become a minister, but dont force random stuff on me. We dont force say, multivariable calculus on people, why should we force something that makes just as little sense on people and call it "Education". I sure as hell would hate to learn either of those.
Oh, and I'm agnostic. But if there was a ''god', I assume it would be a fair god, who judges on action, not BS beleif.
Is our countrly on a downward spiral? Yeah, it is, but America can pull out of it. Right now, theres a huge movement to put Intelliigent Design (faux-Creationism) into schools. Our government is under people who would have religion in schools. Oh, and before that was our gov't we were in a giant economic boom.

Trung Of Wu
Squirrel King
Dream Deity

... where's kavaa?

Kava
LD4all addict
LD4all addict

I posted without thinking first, and it came out wrong. I dont have anything aginst any religion. Im not a religious person, but I am spiritual. I read the bible, but Ive allso read the Tao of pooh, and the "Celestine prophecy", one day I would like to read "Tabeten book of the dead", and maybie even some books about worshiping saten. I dont have anything aginst athest as far as I know I am a athest. The bible holds alot of wisdom, but so does the enternet. I just wonder why our country was which was built on the christian God is sudenly wiping God out, and feeling the void with nothing...no faith, no god, no hope, no wisdom. Something has to feel the vacume, and darkness is the only thing to feel the gap where there once was God. God is light, God is love!! Rather its a Christian God, or teaching of Zen... Feel it in with light not "Nothing" Does that make sence?

Kava
LD4all addict
LD4all addict

...about teaching the bible in school. It might be possible to teach the bible without teaching Christianty, but I dont see how. How would school go about doing that?

print