EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

A loop hole about teaching christianty in school...

Post new topic Reply to topic

Author  Message 
Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
29
Posts: 2380
Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Last Visit: 01 Nov 2016
LD count: 5ish
Location: Norway
 
PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

In norway they have a subject called "KRL" that means :
Cristianity , Realigion , Sight of life .
That`s almost good , BUT
It`S 70-80 % cristianity
15-20 % Religion (other religions than cristianity ...)
And 5-10 % Sight of life.
This is in my opinion badly , besides i think the text is wrong .
In the cristianity chapters There are written like God did .. in other ones there are like They belive god did ..
See ?
In my opinion are the bible a nice book of wisdom and things collected through long lifes , and I`m actually reading the bible now (never gonna make it , but...)
But I`m like happy for the holy booksand wisdom of a lot other religion , if i get my hands of it i`ll try , but i`ve actually HAVE the bible (got it from school ....) so ..
And one thing i too like is the old norwegian wisdom poetry "eddadiktene" (edda-poems in english )
And especially "Håvamål" one of them , I`ve read it and it`s really nice , It`s a poem but it`s lwisdom as in the bible.

And what you said about the gouv`s don`T care for children :
I couldn`t agree more !

BTW norway still have church-state tied together ....... sadblauw


back to top
Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity
32
Posts: 585
Joined: 12 Sep 2002
Last Visit: 08 Sep 2017
Location: My body lives in England, but my spirit roams the wilds
 
PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Pettertombos wrote:
And what you said about the gouv`s don`T care for children :
I couldn`t agree more !


Thanks. It really annoys me how children are often treated like second class citizens, IMO anyway.

Quote:
In norway they have a subject called "KRL" that means :
Cristianity , Realigion , Sight of life .


It's a pity that christianity is in the title, it makes it sound very biased. And from your description it definately sounds biased. Not good.

I'm not against people learning about religions, but I'd like to see more of religions like Buddhism and the Aborigione's beliefs as well as Christianity, Hinduism e.t.c. I also think it should be done more annalytically, discussing why some bits do and don't make sense.

England also has the church tied to the state. A pity...

BTW I've started reading the Edda poems smile


back to top
Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
29
Posts: 2380
Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Last Visit: 01 Nov 2016
LD count: 5ish
Location: Norway
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Nice 1
I`ve only read håvamål


back to top
Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity
32
Posts: 585
Joined: 12 Sep 2002
Last Visit: 08 Sep 2017
Location: My body lives in England, but my spirit roams the wilds
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

I've only read the Seeress' Prophecy so far.

back to top
Freecube
Theistic Apologist
Dream Deity
30
Posts: 511
Joined: 01 Aug 2003
Last Visit: 22 Feb 2010
Location: NorCal. Age : 20.
 
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Ambient.02 wrote:
Teaching Christianity in school is stupid, because there are alot more religions then Christianity. Here in Canada religion in public schools is illegal for that reason. In order to teach religion in schools, they'd have to teach everything from Hinduism to Satanism to individual Native American tribe spiritual belifs.

It's nothing about kissing atheist ***, its about respect. You cannot force a ton of Muslims or Jews or Buddhists in school to pray to a Christian god. How would you like it if you were forced to practice Buddhism at school every day for your whole school time, because some old guys think it will keep kids inline? Religion has no place in school.


Funny you say that. A town by me where my friend lives made national news, as they started teaching muslim (and I think hinduism) in schools. They are also not forced to stop teaching it, but they are however not allowed to teach christianity. Ironic? Biggist (SP?)? Seperation of Church and State is becoming more like getting Christ out of state


back to top
Cairn
Resident Lunatic
Somniologist
28
Posts: 216
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Last Visit: 31 May 2006
Location: Australia Vic Age: 14 IQ: 147 LDs: 7
 
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

People are saying "Don't force your christian crap on us" and "Forcing us to pray to a christian god".

If you athesists are so against having things forced onto people then why are things like evolution (has absolutely no proof whatsoever) and the big bang theory (aka the stupidist and most non explanatory theory in the cosmos) taught in schools as fact.

Unlike faith where we know we have choice on whether or not to belive it, these theories are taught as if they are as factual as gravity and electricity. And it's not until later, when these crackpot theories are ingrained into our mind as fact, that we are given a choice on whether to believe them.

Who's really doing the brainwashing, christians or atheists.


back to top
Tomas
The lucid dreamer
cookie lover
Posts: 1472
Joined: 16 May 2002
Last Visit: 05 Jan 2011
Location: Norway
 
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Quote:
If you athesists are so against having things forced onto people then why are things like evolution (has absolutely no proof whatsoever) and the big bang theory (aka the stupidist and most non explanatory theory in the cosmos) taught in schools as fact.

Actually the evolution theory is based on alot of scientifically proven facts. The big bang theory should not be teached as a 100% proven fact though, but it is and should be teached as the most logical explanation so far. Religion on the other hand is not based on a proven facts at all.


back to top
Jaxal
Keeper of the WILD
Somniologist
Posts: 194
Joined: 11 Aug 2005
Last Visit: 27 May 2012
Location: London
 
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Hi

I dont think teaching religion in school is a good idea. Religion is something one must seek for him/her self. smile


back to top
LRRH
LittleRedRidingHood
Lucid Initiate
Posts: 99
Joined: 12 Sep 2004
Last Visit: 04 Sep 2011
 
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

In the United States of America, there should be no question that religion cannot be taught beyond an informative level in public schools, due to "The separation of church and state." There should be no question that the line "In God we trust" as printed on paper bills is unconstitutional.

For those that want to argue against the decision should argue against the Constitution's purpose to establish religious equality. When you argue against the separation of church and state, you are not just arguing against the atheists, but also the believers of all other religions.


back to top
Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
33
Posts: 3980
Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Last Visit: 19 Jun 2015
LD count: Many
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Susan Ivanova wrote:


If you athesists are so against having things forced onto people then why are things like evolution (has absolutely no proof whatsoever) and the big bang theory (aka the stupidist and most non explanatory theory in the cosmos) taught in schools as fact.



They are not taught as fact, they are taught as theories and as science they don't fall under the category of 'church', which is why you can teach them. I've been in many a science class in my day and never has an idea been forced upon me.


back to top
Cairn
Resident Lunatic
Somniologist
28
Posts: 216
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Last Visit: 31 May 2006
Location: Australia Vic Age: 14 IQ: 147 LDs: 7
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Tomas wrote:
Actually the evolution theory is based on alot of scientifically proven facts.


It's not a lack of facts I'm disputing, there are facts behind evolution, but on thier own facts are useless, it's the conclusion drawn from these facts that is important, and it's the conclusion that isn't proven.

John Redstone wrote:
I've been in many a science class in my day and never has an idea been forced upon me.


I've been in many an RE class, and never have I had an idea forced upon me, the atheists in the class listened and did the work but no-one said they had to beleive this.

Whereas I've been in several science classes, and when we debate with the teacher as to whether it really happened they say it's the truth and treats it like fact.


back to top
Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity
32
Posts: 585
Joined: 12 Sep 2002
Last Visit: 08 Sep 2017
Location: My body lives in England, but my spirit roams the wilds
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Susan

Do you agree with teaching about electricity in schools? Elecetricity is only a scientific theory. Sure, there is a hell of a lot of proof for it, but how do we know that there isn't a God that just makes it seem like there's electricity to trick us. Electrical appliances could suddenly stop working tomorrow.

Gravity is only a theory. We think that there's gravity because everytime we jump up, we fall down. How do we know this is going to happen next time we jump up?

The point of science lessons is to tell people the theories that fit the facts. (Unfortuantely I have been told that they are the truth in science lessons). This is not Atheism. It's science. Many scientists are religious.

With the big bang. You aren't told in science lessons that God didn't cause the big bang, you're just taught that that's the most likely way the universe started. No-one knows what caused it.

Quote:
I've been in many an RE class, and never have I had an idea forced upon me, the atheists in the class listened and did the work but no-one said they had to beleive this.


RE classes are fine. But I had lessons in primary school where we were told that Christianity is the truth. We had to sing hynms. It wasn't good.


back to top
Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover
31
Posts: 2401
Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Last Visit: 13 Jan 2013
Location: England, wot!
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Susan Ivanova wrote:
Tomas wrote:
Actually the evolution theory is based on alot of scientifically proven facts.


It's not a lack of facts I'm disputing, there are facts behind evolution, but on thier own facts are useless, it's the conclusion drawn from these facts that is important, and it's the conclusion that isn't proven.


Evolution is considered to be a scientific fact.
Look at all these sites.

It has very little evidence against it, and plenty for it.
29+ pieces of evidence for macro-evolution.


And whil we're at it, Big Bang DOES have some evidence for it:
1) Everything is moving away from each other (so everything came from a single point).
2) You can pick up the radiation given out from the Big Bang on a poorly tuned TV.


You don't need to be an Athiest to accept either evolution or Big bang.


back to top
Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
29
Posts: 2380
Joined: 04 Sep 2005
Last Visit: 01 Nov 2016
LD count: 5ish
Location: Norway
 
PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Whn we teach science we say what the scientists mean.
May i say that the katholic church made up the big bang theory ?


back to top
Lebowsk1
cookie lover
cookie lover
39
Posts: 1868
Joined: 19 May 2002
Last Visit: 28 Nov 2012
Location: Staines, uk
 
PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Susan: as a counterpoint to Sureal's Darwin fanboyism please check out 'Icons of Evolution' by Jonathan Wells. Many of the 'evidences' presented in favour of Darwinism are pure pseudoscience (nearly as bad as Bible science).

That is all... wink


back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

print  

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB
LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~