Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Questions of Christianity

Author  Message 
plehrar
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan, 2006  Reply with quote

lord of the rings > bible, I don't even see any wizards in the bible. Oh wait that wasn't constructive at all...uhh look a man with a silly hat

Azurescen
Neptune Warrior
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006  Reply with quote

Hmm, its my beliefe that anyone who condemns another simply doesn't read the bible, or isn't into jesus. Because the bible tells an entirely different story than what many churches believe in, its like 1 person enterprets the bible and then he is the bible.
Well if you find yourself in a situation where you cant reason wether something is right or wrong than your not seeing the big picture. God put everything on this earth, nothing is right or wrong enless you believe it to be.
A religion like christianity just contradicts its self, they believe in the life of jesus and warship him like god. But they dont realize that he is god and man, and he says every man is the same to god, so in my view we are all god just as jesus was sence he even said we can do what he did.
I highly recomend anyone interested in a similar view read the celestine prophecy, the mayans knew much as a culture. They were one of the first to realize that god speaks to us thru everything, trees, stars, anything. What they figured out wasn't a part of years of research, the answers were given to them.
If you think about how good you feel when coincidences start popping up and you sorta do what they imply, then you are becoming closer to god. He sends us these coincidences so that we can better complete his plan.
If the classic mayan culture did what I think, they didn't just become advanced as far as intelect and disappear, they advanced their vibrations entill they just rose up past our view and probably now live in a heaven on earth. That is exactly what I believe Jesus did, when he resurected and disappeared. I hope everyone starts noticing these coincidences that take place every day.

plehrar
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2006  Reply with quote

I really don't want to get involved in all this in depth christian talks because i've done it all way too many times. I'll leave it with this, the bible is full of contradictions, so so many, even after all the revisions...why does the bible need to be revised anyway? Isn't that just changing further and further from what it was meant to be? Further more it's all translated from hebrew and i think some of the new testament was translated from greek. But that leaves it all up to interpretation especially when single words in hebrew mean multiple things.

Basically, the bible cannot be taken seriously as the word of god like it used as. Point of interest: http://www.earthportals.com/Portal_Ship/ezekiel.html woooo aliens

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
LD count: Many

plehrar wrote:

Basically, the bible cannot be taken seriously as the word of god like it used as. Point of interest: http://www.earthportals.com/Portal_Ship/ezekiel.html woooo aliens

I remember watching something about this on an Erich Von Daniken TV special. It was pretty interesting.

Azurescen
Neptune Warrior
Astral Explorer

yes, revising the bible is way bogus. It just shows how much people need to be in control of others lives. But the bible isnt all wrong, I like to read the part about the whore that Jesus saves from being stoned to death. "May any man who lives without sin throw a stone upon this woman". it just gives me chills, I mean no one lives entirely without sin, and that is its point, no matter how bad you are your still the same as anyone else. I live my life by this ability to step back and see the truth in every situation, not just follow the crowd or fight someone for their energy. That I see as the bibles greatest gift, its examples on saintly living.

beautifuldreams
Mister Shroom Man
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006  Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER
I know many of you posting and reading this are christian, and i respect that. some christian sects(7th day adventists mainly) show some convincing "evidence" for your faith. I totally understand why you belive in this and respect your beleif.

If you want to learn the truth about where the story of jesus came from, read this article on my website. http://www.freewebs.com/20thcenturygnosis/religion.ht m I doubt anyone has really seen my site, and I have kind of abandoned it for the time being, but I will pick back up again if it ever gets traffic. Anyway, the jist of the article is that the story of Jesus is identical to the stories of pagan god-men and saviors that came centuries before him. I will not go into detail on this post, I don't want to write that much. Read the article. This is why I belive that the entire Christian religion is the story of pagan god-men rewritten. Stories that were not meant to be taken literally in the first place. The bible is not literal truth, or retelling of actual events, it is a wonderful compostition on how a life should be lived. True, some ideas are not so wonderful(capital punishment, repressing sexual desire, homosexuality being wrong), but the basic idea is a wonderful one. And that is just what the bible is. AN IDEA. Not a history book.

Also, The Templar Revelations is a wonderful book related to this topic.

Kartikeya
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006  Reply with quote

Everything depends how you use it. Knife is nor good nor bad. However, question is how you use it. It is not same to use it to slaughter somebody or to cut tomatoes! So criterion is how you use it.

Although many people use lucid dreams and in same time do not know much about it, or just believe that lucid dreams are this or that, based on their poor experience about it.

DayLight
RIP Albert Hofmann
cookie lover
LD count: ?

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

That's a good article, beautifuldreams. A bit long, but I agree 100%.

Datameister
needs more sleep!
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sat 25 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

In response to the first post in this thread, I have to say that I'm sorry you've come across churches that don't encourage questions. The Bible specifically tells us to healthily question everything, including our faith. It's unfortunate that some churches forget this.

I'm hearing a lot of Jesus-was-really-just-a-good-person-who-maybe-thought -he-was-God arguments here. Now, I can't stop any of you from believing that, but believe me when I say that that isn't what the Bible says. The Jesus described in the scriptures is very clear when he says that he is God. If he was right, then he obviously deserves our neverending respect and thankfulness. If he was wrong, he was obviously insane and should NOT be respected in any way. I ask you this: what kind of man would die the way Jesus did unless he truly believed he was God? At any point, he could have given up and said, "Okay, I'm not really God. You win." He might have lived another thirty years. But he didn't because he knew that his purpose was to save us. No sane man will become a martyr for what he knows to be a lie.

Neither does the Bible say that can all become God. It's very specific when it says that Jesus died and rose again to save all humans who would accept that gift. He is described as one of three aspects of God's being: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Think of them like three different jobs being done by the same God.

Someone also asked why Jesus would worship God if he was God. Jesus (the Son) was worshiping the Father. Now, of course, Jesus is not the Father's son in the normal biological sense. But the same sort of relationship is implied. Jesus was both one with the Father and distinct from Him; thus he worshipped the Father.

Ignorance
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: lost track

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

i dont have a whole lot to say on christianity except that one big piece of evidence for it being true is the amount of people trying to disprove it. if there was some evil force such as satan or whatever wouldnt it try to stop people from finding the right religion? it isnt the religion with the most followers and it isnt the fastest growing religion but all the atheists seem compeled to attack this one. just think about it, christians dont go around blowing things up, brainwashing people, or forcing people to follow it but everyone seems to hate it the most.
also there is one group of christians (i dont remember the name) but in their services they follow a verse of the bible "they shall dance with snakes but the sankes shall not bite them, and they will drink poison but will not die."(thats paraphrasing ive read the verse before but dont remember where in the bible it was) this group actually finds wild snakes and dances with the snakes around their necks and drinks strychnine but they arent harmed by it. i believe there have been documentaries on this group and they have even been on ripleys believe it or not.

DayLight
RIP Albert Hofmann
cookie lover

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Ignorance wrote:
i dont have a whole lot to say on christianity except that one big piece of evidence for it being true is the amount of people trying to disprove it. if there was some evil force such as satan or whatever wouldnt it try to stop people from finding the right religion? it isnt the religion with the most followers and it isnt the fastest growing religion but all the atheists seem compeled to attack this one. just think about it, christians dont go around blowing things up, brainwashing people, or forcing people to follow it but everyone seems to hate it the most.

Actually, I think it is the religion with the most followers, and I choose to comment(not attack) on it because it is the religion I know most about, and commenting on this religion will also encompass Judaism and the Muslim faith, because they all pray to the same God(not the son, but the father God), and in my opinion, it is one of the most socially destructive religions around. When you said blowing things up, I assume you are reffering to Muslims, but true Muslims do not use violence. the Koran preaches against violence. Those who kill in the name of Allah are going against the teachings of the Koran and I do not consider these people Muslims, only extremists. And the Christan religion HAS brainwashed people, in the very recent past. A sect of the Catholic church, Opus Dei, uses brainwashing teqiniqes to gain followers. They have been caught drugging initates with Mescaline, a hallucinogeinc molecule found in the San Pedro and Peyote cactus, to induce a religious experience, convincing them to join. And in the more distant past, they have forced people to join their religion. The Inqisition. The Knights Templar. The Crusades. The Catholic church went around Europe killing people and forcing pagans to become Christians. Though they are not physically destructive anymore, they are still causing bigotry and intolerance. the gay community is currently suffereing because of Christians who wish to impose their views on America. The only source for the philosiphy 'homosexuality is wrong' comes from the Bible(and probably the Koran too). If the Bible was not around, homsexuals and bisexuals would be able to love freely, without all this oppression and intolerance. Gays and transexuals have been killed because of their sexual orientation/gender identity, and I blame this on Christianity. I don't think members of any church commited these murders, but it was evil, violent people blinded by the intolerance created from the Bible. The current intolerance of homosexuality is not the only intolerance the Bible has caused. During slave times, supporters of slavery used Bible verses to back them up, saying the Bible supported slavery. I do not know the specific verses, but I will look into it and post them here later.

This is why I chose to comment on Christianity rather than other religions. If you think there is a more destructive religion, please tell me, and I will look into it, and perhaps speak out against it.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

PostPosted: Mon 27 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

All big religions have had their share of violent groups, and that's only normal, the more followers you gather, the bigger the chances of having people making distorted readings of the holy writings. Jesus told people to love each other, but some christians (most notably the christians who've got the power over the US since the early colonization days) believe he was just refering to christianity, so that it would be ok to kill sinners from other religions (a lot of innocent muslims who have nothing to do with the terrorist groups that happen to share the same religion as them, a lot of jews in the inquisition and in the second world war etc). Likewise, there are muslims that take the "spread the word" teaching too literally and end up forgetting the "do not harm humans" one (they are actually taught what the kuran is supposed to mean, most of them don't know Arabic and are never taught the later teaching, believing all their God wants is the massacre of those wrong people we call christians).

I'd like to ask you people to refrain from attacking only one religion over an aspect of it that doesn't represent it as a whole. There are christians who kill, but most christians are against the massacre. There are muslims who kill, but most muslims only want to help their brothers—and by brothers, I mean humans, not muslims. I'm serious. Go to the middle east and ask a complete stranger for a place to rest for a day or two.

Ignorance
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: lost track

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

i wasnt talking about any religion in particular when i stated examples and when i said that we dont brainwash people i was refering to the church not some sect that attached itself to it, all the examples you have pointed out were from the catholic church and its because of them that protestants came about because they didnt like what the catholics were doing.
i do have to say that the prejudice against gays is wrong though, i personally dont really care if they get married or not just as long as i dont get hit on i have no problem with them
oh and christianity isnt the biggest religion its the most spread out but the religion with the most followers is an eastern religion buddism, confusicism, or hinduism one of those has the most, forgot which one.

DayLight
RIP Albert Hofmann
cookie lover

Ignorance wrote:

oh and christianity isnt the biggest religion its the most spread out but the religion with the most followers is an eastern religion buddism, confusicism, or hinduism one of those has the most, forgot which one.

Actually, you may be right. The east is so over populated that one of those religions may have more followers, with Chritianity coming at 2nd or 3rd.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in both the east and the west. It's the second now (the first really is Christianity), but it's growth is happening amazingly fast.

print