EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

What does everyone think of Scientology?

Author  Message 
Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
LD count: Many

What does everyone think of Scientology?
PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

I was just wondering what everyone thought of Scientology.
I've been doing some research of it because I've always wanted to learn about it.
I've heard some not so nice things about scientology, for example, that it is a cult of sorts. I have to say that from my research, it doesn't sound like a religion that I'd like to be a part of.
So, what does everyone else think about scientology and it's philosophies? I'd love to have a discussion about this smile

Sonia
COOKIE MONSTER
LD4all addict

This sounds like a very good discussion topic. tumbsuplinkswitteduim I don't see why no one has thought of it before! Of course, I don't know much about Scientology other than what you just said about it. I'll do some research about it later to gather more information.

milod789
Night Explorer
LD4all addict

Re: What does everyone think of Scientology?

Josh Redstone wrote:
I was just wondering what everyone thought of Scientology.
I've been doing some research of it because I've always wanted to learn about it.
I've heard some not so nice things about scientology, for example, that it is a cult of sorts. I have to say that from my research, it doesn't sound like a religion that I'd like to be a part of.
So, what does everyone else think about scientology and it's philosophies? I'd love to have a discussion about this smile

Good topic!

I only know a little bit about Scientology. The real question is what does it do for you? Does it make sense to you? Do you think you can live and believe in the philosophy? When you look into it more you will have to decide if it will make you a happier person.

When it comes to matters of spirituality we all have to go our own way. For me it is looking inside myself and looking to nature and that is "what works for me".

Is Scientology a cult? Well, many groups have been considered cults especially if their beliefs are out side the main stream thinking. I could make a good argument that many self help groups such as AA are cults. However, noone can deny the fact they have saved many lives.

Now, I will have to look up more on Scientology to participate more fully in this discussion.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

I hear that, in order to be enlightened siontologically, you must attend classes and workshops which become more and more expensive.

Is that true? If so, then I think Scientology is just a big money making thing. I simply cannot believe in a serious religion which plays for finantial segregation.

Othen than that, I don't know much about them, anyone minds making a nice introduction? smile

The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover
LD count: 2 crappy ones

My opinions:

- Mostly a big mount of bull, reaching its peak at the Xenu thing, which makes me LMAO
- A money-making one too, its credibility falls miserably at that point

Yeah, I had to pay for my religion too, but all my family had to pay which was not an offer was only a robe for the communion and 4€ once a year for 2-3 years for the church's (radiator) gas expenses.

Last edited by The Nameless One on Mon 20 Mar, 2006; edited 1 time in total
Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

Re: What does everyone think of Scientology?

Josh Redstone wrote:

I've heard some not so nice things about scientology, for example, that it is a cult of sorts.

ALL religions are a cult. Anyone who says different is selling something, or they are a fool.

The question is not whether Scientology is a cult, but whether you get more out of it than what you put into it.

Personally, I think it's silly.

Qu
Founder
Site Admin
Qu has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: lost uhm lots

oh boy. scientology ^^

you know they make life horrible for every person that dares to openly attack them and disagree with them?

A long time ago, when I was about 20, i was asked in the city center by someone if i would like to do a free personality test.

I thought: why not, interesting, so I went with this guy to his building. This was the Scientology headquarters in Amsterdam, but I never had heard of it before then.

So, anyhow, there I went in, a lot of people where in there, there was a weird kind of atmosphere, but I didn't pay attention.

So I answered a lot of questions on a sheet of paper, and then was told to wait for the result.

There were more like me in there, filling in the questions or waiting.

So finally this woman comes out and takes me to a desk to talk over the results. Apparentlty there was everything wrong with me, but not to worry, their courses would take care of that. Only [insert huge amount here].

I mentioned I was doing hypnotherapy sessions at that time (i was so interested in past lives) and she completely turned around and said that hypnotherapy and things like that were evil.

She also said some other things which made me blurt out, in a jokingly manner:"wow, it's almost like a cult here!"

then she became so angry! And I was like:"What did i say wrong?"

So I thought, for people who say they are perfect and will make you perfect, this reaction is far from perfect, so something is wrong here.

So I said goodbye and said I'd think about it. They tried to sell me their book but again, at the time (i was a poor student) that was way to expensive for me.

That was my first encounter with Scientology.

(post is getting long, i'm not done yet grin )

I was still fascinated by these people and did some more research, not intending to join them but just curious.

So, roughly speaking: they believe everybody is possessed by aliens, and with their cleansing program you will be able to get rid of them and thus become enlightened.

this is very roughly what i remember, and they have a lot of 'steps', each one more expensive than the other one, it goes in the 1000ths of dollars, and every step will bring you further.

they are very secretive about what's taught in every step, claiming that this is not knowledge meant for the uninitiated.

Now, there was a very interesting case about 10 years ago, where an scientologist was sued for committing crimes he had made to get the money to pay for his next scientology level (they urge you to use any means possible to get that money) - and in his testimony he had shown some of the things scientology used to 'brainwash' him. Thus, exerpts of what they were teaching were made public, because they became part of the trials' records, and those were publicly available.

This is also known as "the Fishman affidavit"

anyhow, scientology didn't like this at all and went out of their way to make life horrible for this guy, and also sueing every website that mirrored these files.

Also, the reason why the one that started scientology called it "church" , was because of tax reasons. Churches in USA don't need to pay taxes. And with the huge amount their followers have to pay, that is a smart move.

XS4all, my provider, was sued by scientology for having a customer hosting this file, and they refused to delete it, and after 10 years they have won 4 trials.

so if you are interested, here's the link.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict

Interesting story Q, I didn't think anyone here had ever had a 'brush' with Scientology like that.
It's true that they like to make life difficult for people who would bad-mouth Scientology. For example, here in North America there is a satirical cartoon called 'South Park' which recently made fun of Scientology, as well as Tom Cruise and John Travolta (two celebrity scientologists). Well, Tom Cruise didn't like that very much, so he threatened to withdraw all support for his new movie 'Mission Impossible III' if Comedy Central re-broadcast that same episode. I think the whole affair is silly, and that the episode should be aired again....after all, it was very funny ^^

As far a Scientology goes, I am on the same page as Too Good to be True. The idea of Xenu is silly.....really silly, and all the money you'd have to pay to work your way up the church hierarchy makes it very obvious that it is a scam. But, if someones got the money and it's what they want, I have no problem with that smile

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

Quote:
So, roughly speaking: they believe everybody is possessed by aliens, and with their cleansing program you will be able to get rid of them and thus become enlightened.

This is obviously bogus. I can't be possessed by aliens, because I am an alien. At least, I was in my past life.

And if these Scientologists want to "help" me, they can help me by letting me phone home.

Maybe then I'll learn more about my past lives, since my memory is a bit fuzzy.

The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover
LD count: 2 crappy ones

Are you referring to this episode?

I'm reading about it on Uncyclopedia and I'm lach2.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict

Yup, that's the episode alright....and that's their depiction of Lord Xenu ^^

milod789
Night Explorer
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Well it turns out that I know someone who has had some contact with this group. This will probably be the first time I will say this (and hopefully the last) you do not want to go there!

One of their “values” is look out for # 1 first and if you have to hurt someone else to get what you want that is fine. It is the other persons fault for not looking out for themselves.

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

milod789 wrote:

One of their “values” is look out for # 1 first and if you have to hurt someone else to get what you want that is fine. It is the other persons fault for not looking out for themselves.

You serious?

Satanists aren't even that heartless.

Technodreamer
In mod disguise!
cookie lover

Satanism is a misunderstood religion. From what I have understood of Satanism, it does have morals, but the purpose of the religion is material and physical advancement.

Scientologists don't specifically believe that aliens are controlling people, but I would imagine it has been used as a scare tack tick.

EDIT: I stand corrected. They really do believe aliens control people. I think that's crazy.

I don't like the religion because it appears to be using people to gain money and because it keeps its beliefs secret.

I wouldn't care less if it weren't exploiting people.

Current LD goal(s): Remember dreams
DayLight
RIP Albert Hofmann
cookie lover
LD count: ?

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Josh Redstone wrote:
Well, Tom Cruise didn't like that very much, so he threatened to withdraw all support for his new movie 'Mission Impossible III' if Comedy Central re-broadcast that same episode. I think the whole affair is silly, and that the episode should be aired again....after all, it was very funny ^^

I believe they did air that episode again, Josh. I was talking about that episode with a friend of mine today, and he told me that Issac Hayes is a scientologist, and left the show because of that episode. I hope that is not true, becuase South Park without Chef would make me sad... cry
But anyway, the only education I've had about Scientology came from South Park, which was bashing it, and I have not heard an arguement FOR scientology, so I can't really make an intelligent, educated statement on it, but from what I know, Scientology is a LOAD OF CRAP(hope i don't get sued). The whole alien souls inhabiting neanderthal bodies and Lord Xenu and what not... it just seems like something out of a 1970's sci-fi flick(Hubberd, the church's founder, was a sci-fi writer before he founded the church).

print