Meditation/WILD method - Deep relaxation/circular

1. To start, lay down flat on your back. Do not use any form of pillow (it will restrict blood flow, and hinder the body’s restful state). Place your feet between six and twelve inches apart, and rest your arms beside your body, close but not touching. This position is not comfortable for most people for sleeping, but it is very relaxing and easy on your body. It’s a great way to meditate, or calm down before sleeping. If you can actually sleep in this position, it will be rewarding!

2. Second, ensure that when you breathe, only your stomach moves up and down, and your chest remains still. This is called diaphragmatic or circular breathing, and is the ‘natural’ way to breath. More importantly, it uses fewer muscles and encourages slower breathing and better relaxation. Interestingly, newborn babies breathe in this way.

3. Next, relax your body. Starting from your toes and working up, tighten small groups of muscles (holding for a count of five seconds) and then release them. When you release the tension, try to keep that part of your body relaxed, and do not move it again. I use this order: Toes, feet/calves, Thighs/hamstrings, butt, stomach/lower back, chest/upper back, hands/forearms, upper arms/shoulders, neck, face. Remember to breathe with your stomach the whole time.

4. You should be very relaxed by now. At this point you should focus again on your breathing. When you breathe in, do so by pushing your stomach out. When you breathe out, do not push the air out! Simply relax your entire stomach, and let the weight of your stomach push out the air on its own. In this way you will be totally relaxed when you breathe out. If you get a strange energized feeling when this happens, you are doing very well, and you should try not to fight the feeling.

5. At this point it is up to you. I like to let my thoughts drift and enjoy the feeling of being so relaxed. At this stage I have also tried listening to my tinnitus (the constant sound in your inner ear), which can potentially allow you to go to a deeper level of meditation, and possibly enter directly into a lucid dream. It is normal for the sound to grow louder, and for you to develop a falling sensation as you drift towards a trance/dream state.

Please post any ideas, additions, successes, failures. I’d love to have some feedback on this!

This is a great method to get into a trance before an OBE. I do it all the time. I’m stil working on my breathing skills though. Thanks for the post.

I’m gonna try that out as soon as I stop with surfing the net for today, which will be hard, I’m having a great time!

Good steps, only comment is my head gets an awful pain in it when I lay without a pillow lol

Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you.Thank you. :smile: This broke my laziness and gave me a ld. Thank you. Thank you.
:smile:

You’re welcome :smile: I wish it gave me an LD! Could you describe what you did in more detail? Did you wake up from sleeping first? Did you eat/drink anything specific? Were you very tired or just a little? Was it warm or cold? etc. Thanks for the feedback!

I usually do something like this when I go to sleep. Also, over the past few months, I have been sleeping in a position similar to the one you described (but I use a pillow) and I have noticed that when I wake up, I hardly moved the whole night. Before I slept like this, my bed sheets and covers would be all over the place when I woke up, but now they are nice straight :wink:. Id say this is a very comfortable position, and I will try without the pillow tonight.

This seems like a nice WILD method, I will try it, since one of my problems is getting relaxed in a good way =O

I have read many variations of the “tighten and relax your muscle groups” idea to relax before attempting WILD, etc., but my question is, what if I have crappy muscles? LOL

I’m 34 years old and not in the best of shape and have trouble tightening up a lot of my muscles so it’s hard for me to “tighten, then relax them”.

It’s hard enough for me to try to figure out where my muscles are to try tightening them and then concentrate on breathing with my stomach at the same time! :lol: :uh:

You could try using movements instead of ‘flexing’ by opposition
Hold each of these for a few seconds before relaxing:

squeeze your toes

point your feet down

press your heels into your bed

lift both legs slightly

arch your back

squeeze your fists

press your arms to your sides

lift your arms up straight and reach

push your shoulders into the bed

lift your head and look left then right as far as you can

press your head into the bed

that should do it :smile:

I might try this out tonight, I can see it working well for me. :smile:

I was doing this today, I was getting very relaxed and then my cell phone rang :grrr: and lost my concentration. Anyways I enjoyed the meditation feeling.

Hi Night Muse. Ist “to hinder” ein englisches Wort? :tongue:

Sounds good. I’ll try right now and report back tomorrow. :grin:

Awake. I think it was a good thing, I’ve been trying this before, not with as much tips as this though. I got very close to falling asleep or WILDingn and was very numb and relaxed. Allthough it got too hot for me, after a little time so I needed to stop the experiment.

I tried this last night and I simply lost conciousness and woke up an hour afterwards. I think it was sort of hard for me to just breath with my stomach since I’m used to breathing with moving my chest. I’m going to try this again tonight and post anything else that happens.

I tried it last night too. The relaxation worked well, I loved the relaxed feeling so much. Although, just like Robin, I got a bit too hot after a while too and I lost my concentration.

I tried this again twice today. I woke up within an hours time for both. I had no recall of how I fell asleep and I don’t remember reaching the barrier. I did however remember that my body felt numb and it began to get hot under the blankets. Am I not supposed to have blankets on? Also I used a pillow is there a difference?

I might try this with an afternoon nap… I havent LD in 2 days… Ive been WILDing but this modified ILD might wrk… :meh: