Rainbow Connection

How much melatonin do I take?

Author  Message 
The Science of Lucidity
Dream Scientist
Somniologist

How much melatonin do I take?
PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

I've had 0 recall 3 days in a row now so i am considering buying a B-complex and melatonin and developing a cycle so that I can take them without getting used to them. The general concensus for B is used as directed (100 mg) but I couldn't find the appropriate amount for melatonin. My doctor said I need to take the melatonin anyways because I have something called Delayed Sleep Phase syndrome diagnosed which causes me to go to bed later than I should.

n00dle

LD count: 8

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

doesn't matter, any melatonin you get is in homeopathic doses anyhow.

melatonin is so potent in the body as a neurotransmitter, that you're only going to find it in reasonable 'pharmeceutical' doses if you purchase raw grams from a chemical company, no pharmacists will stock it.

Current LD goal(s): Achieve stable lucidity; Have a conversation with myself

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
Siiw
Infinite Impatience
Globahead
Siiw has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: last 19.augus

since your doctor suggested that you take melatonin, i would also ask the doctor when and how much you should take. do you get enough sleep? we have more rem sleep after a few hours of sleep, and if your sleep cycle is delayed, that could be very late in the morning.

Current LD goal(s): To bring back art or a song

The Science of Lucidity
Dream Scientist
Somniologist

Quote:
since your doctor suggested that you take melatonin, i would also ask the doctor when and how much you should take.

Yeah I believe he told me dosages but I wasn't paying attention (like an idiot lol). In my defense, it was a loooong time ago smile I still suffer from the sleeping disorder though.

Quote:
do you get enough sleep? we have more rem sleep after a few hours of sleep, and if your sleep cycle is delayed, that could be very late in the morning.

Yes, it is in the morning. I have to sleep in till 12:00 PM everyday.

foo fighter
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

Usually, I think it's somewhere between 0.5 to 3mg, depending on why you're taking it, and how old you are.

Given that Melatonin comes in tablet form, and basically even the smallest dose tablet will contain zillions of times more Melatonin than your body will ever naturally produce, the best thing is probably to start with the smallest dose you can ~ say, half a tablet, however much that is ~ and then just increase the amount gradually (if you need to) until it works.

n00dle

LD count: 8

Quote:

Usually, I think it's somewhere between 0.5 to 3mg, depending on why you're taking it, and how old you are.

0.5 to 3mg of melatonin is required, the tablets are 0.5 to 3mg of melatonin-containing extract. If you do the calculations (as it's usually 6x extract already containing abismal amounts of melatonin to begin with) you find it is more a selling point. But hey if it works for you, it works for you smile

Current LD goal(s): Achieve stable lucidity; Have a conversation with myself

Infinitycascade
One over Zero
Astral Explorer

I used to take 1 3mg tablet about an hour before bed and didn't notice much so I upped the dose to 2 tablets and noticed that I felt sleepier and more relaxed but this sometimes had a negative affect in the morning.

All in all the effects were negligable and possibly psychological but I would consider anything to get a decent nights sleep, being the insomniac that I am. eek2

The Science of Lucidity
Dream Scientist
Somniologist

I actually had 0 dream recall and I couldn't figure out why. I cut back on the melatonin dosage (to 3mg) and my recall is back again. I guess I was sleeping too hard...

DayLight
RIP Albert Hofmann
cookie lover
LD count: ?

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

3mg has always worked well for me.

foo fighter
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

n00dle wrote:

... the tablets are 0.5 to 3mg of melatonin-containing extract. If you do the calculations (as it's usually 6x extract already containing abismal amounts of melatonin to begin with) you find it is more a selling point.

Umm, depends on the tablets I guess.

The ones I (sometimes) use contain:

Amount Per Serving [one tablet] Calcium 89 mg Phosphorus 68 mg Melatonin 3 mg (as n-Acetyl-5-Methoxytryptamine)

.. plus filling ingredients. Which suggests that we are talking about 3mg actual Melatonin here anyway, I think? ^^

Slinking_Ferret
eh lef THER ee oss
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

I used to get sleepy with 3-6 Grams but i now usually use 5-15 grams ( not reccomended ) just because i can'y get sleepy when im supposed tto, but i generally only use melatonin like twice a month.

Infinitycascade
One over Zero
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

slinking_ferret: You mean mg? Even still, that is a lot- you shouldn't take 15mg ever! Past a certain point the excess is useless anyway and will only cause an imbalance. Any difference you feel is purely psychological.

If you suffer serious insomnia, see a doctor or try ZMA or somethng...

Slinking_Ferret
eh lef THER ee oss
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

Ack, yeah i mean mg. well During that period i was taking them like caandy to calm me down because well my dog was dieing and she just got worse over a week and dies. It just helped calm me down a bit.

And yes after i diden't take it anymore i had insomnia for about aweek.

Last edited by Slinking_Ferret on Sat 30 Sep, 2006; edited 1 time in total
clarkkent
cookie lover
cookie lover
LD count: 100

PostPosted: Wed 30 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

n00dle wrote:
doesn't matter, any melatonin you get is in homeopathic doses anyhow.

melatonin is so potent in the body as a neurotransmitter, that you're only going to find it in reasonable 'pharmeceutical' doses if you purchase raw grams from a chemical company, no pharmacists will stock it.

hm.. I found it at a pharmacy!

eqspl0rer

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006  Reply with quote

For a good night's sleep, 1.5 - 3 mg is fine.
But for lucidity, I've read that you should take some 10 - 20 mg. Never tried it in this dose though.

print