Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

How is it possible to control dreams?

Author  Message 
Calmrod

How is it possible to control dreams?
PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006  Reply with quote

<mod>Topic splitted from the Helpful hints topic </mod>

help! I have two or three questions: 1.) How can I control my dream if I'm asleep? It doesn't make sense to me, yet it does kinda. 2.) How can I preform reality checks when I'm not in control? Or is it like I do them every day and am used to them? 3.) How do I control the dream?

Thank you
~Calmrod

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006  Reply with quote

Hi Calmrod! Welcome to the forum! bye

I prefered to split your topic from the Helpful Hints topic, which is to give some advices to beginners.
Quote:
1.) How can I control my dream if I'm asleep? It doesn't make sense to me, yet it does kinda.

Yes, it sounds like paradoxical, I have to admit. It's possible in a lucid dream cause in a LD we are present like IRL. Hence we have free will, which is not the case in a normal dream.
Quote:
2.) How can I preform reality checks when I'm not in control? Or is it like I do them every day and am used to them?

If you perform frequently RC's IRL, you're likely to perform them inconsciously in normal dreams, then it will give you the chance to realize that you're dreaming.
Quote:
3.) How do I control the dream?

You generally have to realize first that you are dreaming. Once you realize this, you know that it's just a dream and that you can modify it. It's not so hard that it seems at first sight. Good luck! smile

Tomas
The lucid dreamer
cookie lover

Re: How is it possible to control dreams?

Calmrod wrote:
<mod>Topic splitted from the Helpful hints topic </mod>
2.) How can I preform reality checks when I'm not in control?

You do it throughout your day, especially when you experience something unsual or something that often happens in your dreams. If you for example often dream about dirty public bathrooms, then make a habit out of doing reality checks everytime you are in such a place. In the end you will start doing this reality checks in dreams as well and this will often be enough to trigger your lucidity.

If you are lucid, then control is as easy as you make it out to be. You can fly just with the mere thought as long as you have confidence.

TAG_One
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

Quote:
2.) How can I preform reality checks when I'm not in control?

There is one other use for reality checks than the ones that Basilus and Tomas mentioned. Sometimes in a dream you'll feel as if your dreaming but won't be 100% sure. Reality checks can be used at these times to tell you that you're actually dreaming.

whispa
no surprises please
cookie lover

Calmrod wrote:
1.) How can I control my dream if I'm asleep? It doesn't make sense to me, yet it does kinda.

Your body is asleep while your mind awake. When we sleep, our brains are only 10% less active than in waking life.

dunlar
Astral Adventurer
Astral Explorer

TAG_One wrote:
Sometimes in a dream you'll feel as if your dreaming but won't be 100% sure. Reality checks can be used at these times to tell you that you're actually dreaming.

...Before you jump out that window... tryfly

Calmrod

Thank you all.

Tomas
The lucid dreamer
cookie lover

whispa wrote:
Calmrod wrote:

Your body is asleep while your mind awake. When we sleep, our brains are only 10% less active than in waking life.

I read that the brain are infact more active during REM sleep than in waking state. There isnt much activity during deep sleep though.

Eldwinn
Shaman of the Forest
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct, 2006  Reply with quote

you crontoll the dream with your mind...lol like how your thinking right now, its just a little but harder in a dream

print