Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Different styles of flying

Author  Message 
Orange Element
Dreamland War Hawk
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006  Reply with quote

I've had a few low-level LDs and FLDs, and what I find especially interesting about them is that my default method of movement in such dreams seems to be floating around as a spectre! I've occasionally flown through closed doors. I'm even invisible to DCs! I don't even choose to be a phantom, it just happens. Has anyone else had this?

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover
TimeLess has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: hundreds

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006  Reply with quote

yesterday my girl friend and i were talking about lucid dreaming, and she said that she wanted to fly, now out of all my lucid dreams this is one thing that i have never been great at unless i am very lucid. she told me to imagine the feeling of skydiving, as we have both been, and use that feeling of falling/ floating but use it in the other direction, ie up.

So i tried it last night and it worked like a charm, but in parts i found my self flying too fast upwards strange expereince. but after a while i got the hang of it. Give that one a go.

Current LD goal(s): regain my nightly and focus on astral
CrazyStickFigure
Why read these?
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006  Reply with quote

Orange: Wow, I'll add that when I get a chance (i cant now)

Soul: That would be "Falling That Way"

Gyth
Lucid Ownage
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006  Reply with quote

I have a suggestion, it works perfectly for me, I've flown over enourmous landscapes using this, Sprout wings!, don't turn into a bird or something, just sprout wings, the first time I did this it didn't work so well but with practice it's fool proof, so for any of you who want to test it, don't debunk it on your first try, Combined with the superjump it works great, superjump to take off and then use your wings to glide. Demon/bat wings seem to work best for me, try for a large wingspan, not too large though, about the length of your arm and a half

CrazyStickFigure
Why read these?
Somniologist

Its been said, that would be object assistance...

Gyth
Lucid Ownage
Lucid Initiate

Oh yeah, I looked back and saw that, I was going to edit my post to say that but you beat me to it. And I don't consider it to be object asistance, in real life an animal that has wings doesn't consider their wings objects that help them fly anymore than you consider your legs objects that help you walk, so technically it's not object assistance.

Talon Arana
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
Scribes

I personally haven't flown in any LDs yet, but in NDs I sometime "Fly" or at least, feel very much like I'm flying, I just at one point in another jump in the dream and realise I'm floating down,
So after that, I usually feel VERY happy, (because when ever I have those dreams, I recall doing that before. Those times were in other dreams, but I didn't realise, I thought it was real life, and real memories) and I would jump, and glide my way down...
I have always just concidered that short bursts of flying and landing XD I think the funniest way of flying though... is to get into small, round DBZ-style ball-spaceships, and zoom around where ever you are XD It's a interesting feeling...

CrazyStickFigure
Why read these?
Somniologist

PostPosted: Thu 23 Nov, 2006  Reply with quote

I was going to edit my post to say that but you beat me to it

I win.

Growing wings would be object assistance because they're objects, part of your dream body, but still objects that aren't part of YOU.

Fante
O RLY?
Lucid Initiate

I use wings that are part of my arms. I can feel them just fine, but they're usually invisible if I look back. neutral

When they /do/ show up, they're dragon-like and a light shade of green.

KingOmar
Somniologist
Somniologist

I kind of do a flying by first going to my house in my LD. Then jump throug the window and then since I allways have a sweater in RL I always have one in my dreams, well after jumping i spread my legs and my arms in an X positon and fly like a flying squirrel. grin

Bombax
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
LD count: Thrice a week

I can't even fly properly yet cry

Zz
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

I tried flying from jumping of a building i sort of glided for a couple of seconds but then just fell maybe you could see if that works for you. Also, try flying in a car thats what I did in a dream before.

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

Why not call wings it's own thing? It's not external but not doing nothing or any other thing. Actually it could be categorized as transforming into a flying creture, wich should be in here anyway. only with wings, the creature you transform into is yourself, with wings. Anyway, Transformation flying. I have been wanting to fly as a bird for some time now. No big superbird like eagle or hawk or albatross.. Just some little bird. I have a sort of clear image of that in my mind. Even the place is clear.

CrazyStickFigure
Why read these?
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 24 Nov, 2006  Reply with quote

Fine, I'll give transformation its own category

Huey
Chocolate Face
cookie lover
LD count: More than you

Re: Different styles of flying
PostPosted: Fri 24 Nov, 2006  Reply with quote

I've used every technique except swimming, the invisistairs, and airbending and I think each of them has their own advantages and disadavantages yes

Superman-style is the absolute boss when it comes to speed, super jump and object assistance are the best for takeoff and object assistance is also best when it comes to actual length of flying time. "Falling that way" for me is the most fun and also the greatest way to gain height as I can go on literaly forever if I don't wake up :D I think "Nothing" and "imagining it" are basically one in the same and are probably my most often means of flying because of the innateness of flying in the dreamworld, so that has overall easiness rechterduim omhoog met knipoog Spreading your arms is great for gliding like CSF said, but I hardly use it, and the transverse wave is kinda like my "stepping stone" when I'm having trouble on takeoffs wink

"Different styles of flying work out differently for different 'consciouses'..." And such was said by one of my DCs in a "flying tutorial."
"...It's not a matter of how, but rather why? Why fly? Fly because you are and flying is."
And then he took off flying...
It's one of the most enlightening things a DC has ever told me universe

print