2%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 207

Author  Message 
Last Man Standing
Somniologist
Somniologist

How long have you gone without sleep?
PostPosted: Tue 09 Jan, 2007  Reply with quote

....in one go... i think i can manage 20 hours max... never gone a night without some sleep.

What about everybody else?

[if a mod can make a poll for this, like under 24, 24-36, 36-48 hours, 2-3 days, 3-4 days, 4-5 days, 5-7 days, over a week, that would be appreciated, cos i cant see a way of doing it myself] <mod> done moogle </mod>

Inquisitor Bob
Millenium Shrimp
Somniologist

Longest I've gone without sleep is 31 hours, that's why I have melatonine now.
And is'nt there already a thread like this?

Hallstrom
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
LD count: 35++

I have gone 36 hours without sleep a few times.
It has some interesting effects sometimes.
Last time, for instance, my thoughts were like the cut-up tape experiments of Brion Gysin and William S. Burroughs.

And answer to your question, I think the longest was about 38 hours.

maedko
Oneironaut
Lucid Initiate

i love going w/o sleep. just today i went to school on no sleep and during first period ap physics i felt like i was high and i just laughed at random things. ive never been high before, but i can imagine what itd be like. im hoping for some killer LD tonight.

Hallstrom
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

maedko wrote:
i love going w/o sleep. just today i went to school on no sleep and during first period ap physics i felt like i was high and i just laughed at random things. ive never been high before, but i can imagine what itd be like. im hoping for some killer LD tonight.

Yes, it can be a lot of fun, but I dont think it's very good for your health though.

Once when I had been awake for some 30 hours, my neighbour stumbled into my room. He looked very tall beacuse he was sitting on somebody's shoulders and wearing a long coat. He had a hard time keeping his balance and almost broke my door.
Later, when I was talking to someone on msn, I wondered where my neighbour had gone. Then I realized he hadn't been there at all. eh

Xion
Lucid Apprentice
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 5

My record is about 20 hours too. Also, once I had bus trip by night and couldn't sleep in such uncomfortable conditions - but I don't count it as night-off since even though I don't remember, I probably must have been asleep at least for several minutes.

Ysim
Playground King
Globahead
Ysim has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Wolfgame
LD count: i++;

Hallstrom wrote:
Once when I had been awake for some 30 hours, my neighbour stumbled into my room. He looked very tall beacuse he was sitting on somebody's shoulders and wearing a long coat. He had a hard time keeping his balance and almost broke my door.
Later, when I was talking to someone on msn, I wondered where my neighbour had gone. Then I realized he hadn't been there at all. eh

lach2

I've never gone more then 24 hours without sleep, at least as far as I can remember. I have gone 3 days with only 7 hours of sleep total though.

Current LD goal(s): Fire fight!
Kenneth
Don't Panic
Somniologist

The longest I've gone without sleep is about 40 hours or so I think.

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

Between two and three days is my current record. About four years ago I was working in a grocery store over Christmas, and a series of misfortunes (including some of the other workers falling sick and being involved in accidents) led to me working about 40 hours in just three days. I had a midnight start on X-mas Eve (after being awake the entire day before), worked through to about 4pm, and then had to start again at midnight on Christmas day. I could have had a nap during that time, but for some reason, I just didn't feel like it. It's hard to describe, but once the crippling fatigue goes away after the first 24-30 hours, you suddenly start to feel quite energetic. In fact, you feel very energetic. I was running around like a hyperactive kid on a sugar high, punching open foam boxes and bouncing on the spot. It's probably not healthy to go that long without sleep, but it's interesting to see how your body reacts to it.

Last Man Standing
Somniologist
Somniologist

(thanx to whichever mod made my thread into a poll, although youve made some of the hour numbers 2 hours too long (7 days = 168 hours) but that doesnt matter. dankeschon!)

Kit
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

I've been awake for seven days plus and it isn't pretty!

I was sitting in my chair watching smoke raise off my keyboard. And then my dog started to yell at me in english, so me and my dog were yelling at each other.

Once you've been up for five days the hallucinations get bad.

Last Man Standing
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan, 2007  Reply with quote

My friend says that when he goes more than a couple of days without sleep, he becomes paranoid. What other affects are there of abstaining from sleep for too long. And whats the world record for going without sleep.

Hallstrom
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

Last Man Standing wrote:
(thanx to whichever mod made my thread into a poll, although youve made some of the hour numbers 2 hours too long (7 days = 168 hours) but that doesnt matter. dankeschon!)

well I had been awake too long when I made the poll wink5

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
focus1
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 100 +

Hallstrom wrote:
I have gone 36 hours without sleep a few times.
It has some interesting effects sometimes.
Last time, for instance, my thoughts were like the cut-up tape experiments of Brion Gysin and William S. Burroughs.

So well put. I have gotten the same effect a few times. I am not sure how long I have bean awake, but 30 ours is not unormal for me. Somtimes when I read Burroughs I am sure I am reading a dream, and also my dreams often act like this. Cut up and jumping scenarios. Sorry for getting so of topic, but I just love Burroughs. You wanna start a group of grey gentelmans who are beating up young nowgooders with there walking sticks on the subway with me Halstrom ^^

Current LD goal(s): Be less egoistic, more compassionate, meditate and heal myself.

print