EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 131
The Spirit of Giving XIV

A sudden, involuntary "kick" when trying to fall a

Post new topic Reply to topic

Author  Message 
Eclipse Shadow
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
26
Posts: 41
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 08 Apr 2007
Location: United States
 
A sudden, involuntary "kick" when trying to fall a
PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007  Reply with quote

(I wasn't sure if I should put this topic here, so I hope it's alright. sadblauw )

Often, when I am going to sleep, one of my legs will suddenly flinch or kick, without me wanting it to. This usually wakes me up completely, which can get irritating...

Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know what this is called, or a way to prevent it?

I believe I read something on this site a while ago about this, but now I can't remember. >.<

Thank you for any help. smile


back to top
Kit
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
Posts: 390
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 15 Oct 2008
 
PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007  Reply with quote

I dont know what its called, but I know it happens to me in two different forms.

In one my physical arm or leg will twitch and move on its own,
In the other I still feel my physical self is not moving but an extra set of dream limbs is.

It used to ruin WILD for me at the start, just remember its normal. Dont think about it when it happens, dont stop to question it or focus on the fact that it happened. Ignore it turn3

Even if it wakes you up completely pretend like it didn't and go on laying there. With a little practice it will stop waking you up.


back to top
chip9munk
Somniologist
Somniologist
37
Posts: 138
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 26 Sep 2007
Location: Croatia
 
PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007  Reply with quote

when i am falling asleep i sometimes have a (i dont know what it is, maby some kind of a short notRem dream) "dream" in wich i do some kind of simple action (like hitting a ball, or jumping on something or i slip on something) and when i actually do it i move my real body and wake up! (kick with my leg, do a jumping movement with my legs, move my arms like when hitting the ground)...

i hope you understand what i tried (not very vividly) to say grin

i dont know how to stop it or even what it is... HI? dream? what???


back to top
Eclipse Shadow
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
26
Posts: 41
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 08 Apr 2007
Location: United States
 
PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007  Reply with quote

Kit wrote:
I dont know what its called, but I know it happens to me in two different forms.

In one my physical arm or leg will twitch and move on its own,
In the other I still feel my physical self is not moving but an extra set of dream limbs is.

It used to ruin WILD for me at the start, just remember its normal. Dont think about it when it happens, dont stop to question it or focus on the fact that it happened. Ignore it turn3

Even if it wakes you up completely pretend like it didn't and go on laying there. With a little practice it will stop waking you up.


Thanks a bunch. When my body jolts like that, it seems to always wake me up right away; but with your advice in mind I'll try to keep my mind off it and continue sleeping. yes


back to top
Eclipse Shadow
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
26
Posts: 41
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 08 Apr 2007
Location: United States
 
PostPosted: Wed 31 Jan, 2007  Reply with quote

chip9munk wrote:
when i am falling asleep i sometimes have a (i dont know what it is, maby some kind of a short notRem dream) "dream" in wich i do some kind of simple action (like hitting a ball, or jumping on something or i slip on something) and when i actually do it i move my real body and wake up! (kick with my leg, do a jumping movement with my legs, move my arms like when hitting the ground)...

i hope you understand what i tried (not very vividly) to say grin

i dont know how to stop it or even what it is... HI? dream? what???


Yes, I believe I know what you are talking about... I don't think it's the same thing as what I discussed in my first post, because I am not dreaming/seeing myself perform any actions or anything when it happens. geenidee

However, I think I can relate to what you said. Sometimes, as I'm falling asleep, I watch myself make a sudden movement (in what seems to be a flash of HI), and my body fidgets likewise...


back to top
moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
63
Chat Mods
Posts: 17099
Joined: 11 Aug 2003
Last Visit: 08 Dec 2019
LD count: 49 LDs so far
Location: Lancashire England.
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

it sounds like a myoclonic jerk, there are similar topics here
"falling feeling" [myoclonic jerks]
and
Falling sensation



Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
back to top
Mad Fish
New member
New member
Posts: 7
Joined: 24 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 01 Feb 2007
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

The twitches are simply your reflexes. It can happen when you're really thinking hard about something, or just caught up in a fight scene in a movie. It happens to me all the time watching TV, though I can't say it's ever happened while trying to sleep. Sometimes you may not even realise that you're thinking deeply about something until such a reaction occurs.

back to top
chip9munk
Somniologist
Somniologist
37
Posts: 138
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 26 Sep 2007
Location: Croatia
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

Quote:



Posts: 4
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Last Visit: 19 Jun 2005
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:02 am Post subject: "falling feeling" [myoclonic jerks] Reply with quote List users that have viewed this topic
sometimes when i'm just about to fall asleep, i get the falling feeling... like i'm tripping or falling... sometimes it will even be like i'm trying to dodge a punch or kick a soccer ball.. it will be me jolting some muscle in my body


unbalivable!!! almost the same as what i said!!! thanks moogle!!!! smile


back to top
jagsaw
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
27
Posts: 767
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Last Visit: 16 May 2009
 
PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

I think I get this!

The other night I got it, and some one other night I dreamt that I was riding a bike... then I fell off and when I hit the ground I jerked awake.

Sounds like that mechanolic jerking or whatever it was.


back to top
Last Man Standing
Somniologist
Somniologist
29
Posts: 126
Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Last Visit: 11 Nov 2007
Location: Coventry, UK
 
PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

I get that. i sometimes got it several times in a row for the same dream. sometimes several times in a row with different dreams.

back to top
Eclipse Shadow
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
26
Posts: 41
Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 08 Apr 2007
Location: United States
 
PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

moogle wrote:
it sounds like a myoclonic jerk, there are similar topics here
"falling feeling" [myoclonic jerks]
and
Falling sensation

Thank you, Moogle, that's exactly what I was looking for! :D I believe these are myoclonic jerks indeed. yes
Thank you, thank you! *hugs Moogly* smile


back to top
BeaSweetie
Cosmic Dancer
Lucid Initiate
33
Posts: 69
Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Last Visit: 19 Jun 2009
LD count: 50
Location: milwaukee,wi
 
PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

In phsycology I learned that little twiches occur about 7 min after you lay down and start to drift. Its just how your body works. It happens in the SIMS the video game. No worries!

back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

print  

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB
LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~