Pause Time

Drowning in your dreams

Author  Message 
DreamWeaver2314
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Drowning in your dreams
PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had a dream where you drown to death? I've had about 6 or 7, and it is one of the strangest feelings I've ever gotten in dreams. It's usually incredibly realistic (for me), and as I breathe in under the water, I can actually feel the choking and the water filling into my lungs. The weirdest part is these aren't even nightmares. I'm not afraid at all in the dream. It's actually very peaceful after the initial struggle, and I come to terms with my death in the dream. I usually wake up after these dreams and feel very relaxed, and even almost happy.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a dream about drowning, because they seem so strange to me. It's also strange because I've never had a fear of water or swimming.

Post any dreams or thoughts.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Really? Whenever I've fallen in water and ran outta breath, I always discover I can breathe under the water. This often triggers lucidity for me too.

Breathing underwater an incredibly cool feeling, and is one of my favourite things to in an LD. It's kind of like the nose-breath RC, only you can feel the water all around you.

DreamWeaver2314
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I've actually thought about that and wondered why I'm not able to breathe underwater in my dreams. I guess I could try to use drowning as a dream-sign and then become lucid through that. That'd be interesting.

Khar Selim

I've never dreamt of drowning (I'm actually quite capable of breathing underwater in dreams, and that's triggered semi-lucidity once) but my girlfriend has had nightmares of drowning before, and she wakes up genuinely choking and gasping for breath, like her brain thought she was really drowning..

DreamWeaver2314
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

Yeah, it definitely seems very real in the dream, but it doesn't bother me for some reason.

Eclipse Shadow
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I usually don't come in contact with water in my dreams at all. I often dream of water, but I rarely actually touch the water...

It's very interesting how DreamWeaver2314 said drowing has made them feel relaxed-- definitely something worth lookin' into. siiw

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

Khar Selim.
To the brain, the dream IS real. But, Couldn't it be that she was choking IRL and the dream acommodated that with a drowning dream? I've heard of such things.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Kindda like how pain in real life is transferred into a dream. Lay in an awkard position, hurt your arm, and you'll dream you've broken your arm or something. Happened to me plenty o' times. Kind of annoying really, cos no matter what your dream-self does, you can't actually lessen the pain.

jagsaw
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

that's a bit dodgy.

what if you summoned a super duper painkiller that actually works?

and you ate it, would the pain go away?

(compareable to the lucid cola!)

0Haku0
Hopeless Daydreamer
Somniologist

I've only been in water once in my dreams, in an LD I walked across the surface and when I felt that it was time for me to wake up, I lied down on my back on the surface of the water and slowly sunk to the bottom. I remember looking up through the water and watching the sunlight "dance" (for lack of a better term) around as it was reflected within the water, a beautiful sight to behold. I slowly closed my eyes and felt the currents of the water caress my body as I continued to sink. Then I woke up.

Insomnia

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

I've only had 2 drowning dreams, and they were both when I was a kid. The first one freaked me out b/c I really couldn't breath and thought for sure I was dying. In the second one I actually realized I was dreaming and had my first lucid dream, even though I had no actual knowledge of LDs at that time smile

Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity
Location: My body lives in England, but my spirit roams the wilds

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007  Reply with quote

I had a drowning dream a while ago. I posted it in my DD on sealife, I'll try and find it.

Here it is

me wrote:
It was quite a long dream, and it started off in quite a nice way. It's hard to explain, but I was kind of in the story of how life first came to a bit of land, or it might have been language, I'm not sure. I was on one bit of land, with the sea next to it. There was another bit of land across the sea, and a little island in the middle. I swam to the other bit of land, using the island to have a little rest. So far, all was going well.

It was a vivid dream, really vivid, I had no doubts about it's reality. Anyway...

I met my brothers, and they wanted to come back with me to the first bit of land (we were at the island in the middle). We started swimming towards it, and suddenly a current caught me. It pulled me underwater, and I shot down and down, really quickly. I knew that I was going to die. The current was really strong, I was going to try and swim to the side and out of the current when I got to the bottom, but I knew I had no hope. I opened my mouth and started to scream.

Thats when I woke up, and I've got to say, I've felt better. It had seemed so real, I was sure I was going to die, not a doubt in my mind.

Not very nice at all.

print