EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Just a strange thing...

Author  Message 
kramer_hpal

Just a strange thing...
PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

there's sth i find strange about myself. and i'm curious if anyone else is having it or is this a problem?

the thing is that like evrybody i go to bed every night (lol). when i'm tired or sth it's very easy to sleep and i never remember/see dreams in such days. eek2
but sometimes i'm having time to think before actually sleeping; thinking of hows my life, how was today etc. u know... then there comes the *black idea* ! when i even start to think about thinking that : "dude; i will be sleeping for the next 7 hours, i wonder will i die or wake up next morning. and hey it will be very boring come one its 7 hours" and related stuff i can't sleep for the next 3 hours and it really annoys me! i want to sleep but i cant when i think that. i know most of you will say that the solutioun is simple "just dont think that" but it is not. it just randomly comes to my mind and i cant sleep; sometimes i lie on the bed not sleeping for 2 hours then get up drink some water, watch out the window and go to bed again and try to sleep... overspannen

is that happening to anyone else???

Artemesia
Mind Walker
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

Maybe you should see a therapist.

Snape
Deatheater
Dream Deity

That was... dismissive of his concerns - and probably not a first resort.
But a good idea in that you could analyse why you feel that way. Ask yourself why you're nervous about such a thing the next time you're drifting off to sleep and maybe your subconscious will provide you with an answer. I'm often surprised by the answers my subconscious is able to provide. yes

ShaggE
Arent I the dickens?
Astral Explorer

Sounds to me like depression. Has anything happened recently that troubles you?

eddy
Motivation issues X(
Somniologist
LD count: 26 just about

I sometimes lay on bed for hours as well, just thinking of stuff - but I'm not sure whether I can't sleep because I'm thinking, or I just can't sleep anyway and think of stuff automatically. Perhaps the same goes for you?

I try not to think of being awake for the next few hours, I suspect that makes it worse.. meh Haven't found a solution either, but hey, the night therafter you sleep like a charm. wink5

Vi
SOHWFTC
Astral Explorer

Maybe try making up a "white idea" that counters your "black idea."

Example-

Black Idea: Oh I'm going to be unconscious for hours and hours, and who knows if I'll ever wake.
White Idea: Wrong! You'll be subconsciously conscious, and then you'll be conscious in your dreams and have lucid dreams and fly and do anything you want, and wake up feeling awesome because you always wake up feeling awesome after flying dreams!

jagsaw
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

what Vi said, cancel out bad thoughts with good thoughts. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and I have to do that.

Obsessive compulsive disorder sucks...

Artemesia
Mind Walker
Novice dreamer

I just re-read my post, and saw it in a different way, I hope you weren't offended. It looks I was being sarcastic, but what I wanted to say more is that therapists are great (I saw one after I was having problems like you were) after I realized I couldn't do it all by myself and I needed an opinion from an outside source. Of course try to do all you can for yourself foremost, however I think therapists can be great when you can't to it all by yourself, just don't let them drug you smile

ShaggE
Arent I the dickens?
Astral Explorer

Artemesia wrote:
I just re-read my post, and saw it in a different way, I hope you weren't offended. It looks I was being sarcastic, but what I wanted to say more is that therapists are great (I saw one after I was having problems like you were) after I realized I couldn't do it all by myself and I needed an opinion from an outside source. Of course try to do all you can for yourself foremost, however I think therapists can be great when you can't to it all by yourself, just don't let them drug you smile

Well said. Therapists have a stigma of "being for insane people", but that's not true at all. I personally believe everyone on earth could use a therapist now and then.

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

I always suggest this to my friend for many things. But have you tried meditation? Your problem seems to be, going by what you said that you think too much when going to bed. It's quite common. Meditation can certainly help still the mind, in fact, that's what it's for.

altheman9993
Is this a dream?
Astral Explorer
altheman9993 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Well, The best way to go to sleep is to have something on your mind from during the day. Like an event or something that give you some kind of emotion, Generally happyness or excitment. When it comes to going to sleep, I always seem to think of it, like 'Wow that was so much fun' And I go over what happend, after a while, without realising, my mind just drifts away. Then, once it does that it takes a few seconds to fall asleep. But once you think 'Oh im drifting away' You're 'councious' again.

Also, I think a relaxation technique could help you, once you're in a relaxed state, I find it really easy to just drift off in thought in a comfy state.

Final one may sound a little gross, But Masturbation is another method, It generally makes you fall asleep in a second and at the same time, you gain something else from it. wink5

But what the first poster said, if you don't find any of these methods useful, I think you should contact a therapist.

Current LD goal(s): Short term goal: Practise WILD. Long term goal: Achieve lucidity at will.
jagsaw
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

hey why did you spell masturbation with a capital 'M'?

hmmm....

Last edited by jagsaw on Sun 11 Mar, 2007; edited 1 time in total
altheman9993
Is this a dream?
Astral Explorer
altheman9993 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

It's important to me.

Current LD goal(s): Short term goal: Practise WILD. Long term goal: Achieve lucidity at will.
jagsaw
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

I was hoping you'd say something like that!

kramer_hpal

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007  Reply with quote

@Artemesia: im not offended but; i dont like therapists. i beleive that theres nothing they can do to *me* that i cant do to myself. they can only point you the direction which i usually can do it myself... smile

@Vi: that's a good solution, man; thnx. i'll try that next time!

btw; altheman9993 is very right about the Masturbation method :D its just that when those nervous ideas in your mind you cant even concentrate on your *thing* heheh

print