Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Lucid Dreaming bad?

Author  Message 
Hapexamendios
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

It reminds me of the time I told a schoolmate about lucid dreaming. She said 'but WHY would you absolutely want to control your dreams? Wouldn't it be better to let them be?' I replied 'Why not?'

It's definitely not for everyone, I think. Some people love to explore, some don't. Even if you know (and tell them) they're missing out on interesting stuff, don't try to argue with them because it will get you nowhere. If they ever have a spontaneous LD and get intrigued enough, they'll change their mind by themselves.

sirius)(black
digital dreamer
Dream Deity
LD count: a few

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

it's nonsense, because a lot of the things that happen in your body(digestion, heartrate, temperature, etc etc() are uncontrollable

Stockholm
Imbecile
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

Heartrate is controllable.

MovieMe
Oneironaut
cookie lover
MovieMe has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Lost count..

Not really...

Fadem
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
LD count: Not Enough

MovieMe wrote:
Not really...

Yes it is, simple breathing excersises can do just that. Also, yogic monks can do that to a greater extent. [stopping, or near to stopping hearrate]

Ionflux
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: many :)

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

On another forum, someone said that it might be bad to control dreams because the randomness of them may be required for some unspecified purpose.
However, being lucid just means that I have the opportunity to take control of certain aspects of a dream. It doesn't mean I have to. I still have some amazing NDs, I even feel they have become better and more vivid experiences, even while I am not lucid.
Then again, I simply do not become lucid so often that it would annoy me. If I became lucid in every dream, maybe it would get somehwat wearisome? eh I don't really know. Right now I am still trying to stay in LDs as long as possible. biggrin

Another person suggested that LDing is a sort of escapism from waking life, which I agree it is - to the extent other recreational activities are the same.
Maybe there is a risk that you could become addicted to LDing and not focus your energy on WL anymore. But then again, that still would be the choice of the individual. How can we say it is wrong?

Sliph
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
LD count: 5

I don't think it would be bad for you. I heard someone once talk about being abled to LD since he was very young and now he can't dream without being lucid. That's the only problem I can see but I'm sure that he still doesn't control every single aspect of his dreams like others here have already said.

And by the way I agree with nitroguy, Fadem your signature ROCKS.

Current LD goal(s): Lucid Music Composing
Dream Dragon
That's Me ~~~~
Dream Deity
Dream Dragon has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Approx 30+

Everything in moderation. That's a good saying - you should trust it!

eMander
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
eMander has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Yeah, and even someone wanted to excessively lucid dream, they wouldn't be able to. There are many who are able to have lucid dreams almost every night, but none who have them EVERY night (some tell me they do, but I am always kind of doubtful of them.) For those who get annoyed by that fact, it may actually be a good thing. A safety function, so to speak, to make it so you always lucid dream in moderation, and don't get addicted to it.

Sliph
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
LD count: 5

ian1 wrote:
Yeah, and even someone wanted to excessively lucid dream, they wouldn't be able to. There are many who are able to have lucid dreams almost every night, but none who have them EVERY night (some tell me they do, but I am always kind of doubtful of them.) For those who get annoyed by that fact, it may actually be a good thing. A safety function, so to speak, to make it so you always lucid dream in moderation, and don't get addicted to it.

On the lines of getting addicted to dreaming/lucid dreaming, I heard of something called Escapism? Or something like that where you want to live in your sleep more than you do in waking life. A bit freaky.

Current LD goal(s): Lucid Music Composing
Vagabondage
I like turtles
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

Daydreaming - you have control over that, but symbols in them still have their own psychological significances if you care to recognize them.

In Lucid Dreaming, even WHEN I have control, the symbols still have significance (i.e.: color, smell, emotions) as I have looked into recent LDs and they match my current state of mind and conflicts/successes. I don't believe lucid dreaming is damaging in any way...

SereneDreamer
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 10

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

Theres a response to this in Laberge's Exploring the world of lucid dreaming, and he says that it cant be bad (gives a lot of reasons) then says most people gain insights and knowledge about themselves from lucid dreams. Controlling your dream means your controlling everything? wierd way to look at it.
<mod>Tasteless joke deleted ysim </mod>

Nik J92
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007  Reply with quote

I need to send him this thread. :D Probably 50% of the reason I got into Lucid Dreaming was to learn about myself. I don't understand myself half of the time.

Erhu' Xerse
Your Butter
Somniologist

You can't control your DNA. Or your blood cells. Or any alternate personalities you may or may not have... Just pointing that out...

LaBreeze
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 2

Erhu' Xerse wrote:
You can't control your DNA. Or your blood cells. Or any alternate personalities you may or may not have... Just pointing that out...

Yeah, anyone who knows the story of Jekyll and Hyde knows that But seriously, I don't see how controlling your dreams can be a bad thing.

print