What Book Are You Reading? — Part IV

Author  Message 
Amused Himself to Death
pretty close...
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Bruno`s brainwashed me, and convinced me to start reading Plato`s Republic! cry

hahaha wink5

Fountainhead was fantastic, a very good read. The characters were all very well developed, although TRJR argued that the main character was unbelievable as a human being, but to a certain extent he`s probably correct. Some bits were somewhat of a slog, but worth getting through.

MatrixManNe0
a.k.a. Sean
cookie lover
LD count: Please.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Chuckiferd wrote:
MatrixManNe0 wrote:
And his philosophical rants are refreshing to the mindless fiction that seems pertinent nowadays.

Picked up Ender's Shadow, anyway. Gonna read that next.

Im sick of books never being original. For example in Earegon the farm boy gets his village attacked and goes on an adventure, sound fimiliar???? Every story is modeled after each other
No, actually. I've not read Eragon, and neither Ender nor Bean had their towns attacked. That, and I like the stories because of the character development and the underlying themes. The plot itself is kinda flat, but I don't believe that is the point of Card's books.

And have you -read- the book? You can't make claims like that without reading the book yet.

Chuckiferd
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

I actually was talking about the "mindless fiction" quote. Sorry to create the confusion... by the way Ender's game is an entirely different genre

MatrixManNe0
a.k.a. Sean
cookie lover
LD count: Please.

Ah, ok. For a second I was -almost- offended. tounge2

And so as not to sound chatspeakish, Ender's Shadow is also amazing. :D

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

I have read Infantry Aces (The German Soldier in Combat in WWII) which is based off of Nazi Germany army in WWII. It's pretty good, it's in first person so thats why I like it.

himebanana
princess of bananas
Astral Explorer

I read Daughters of The Moon when I was 13 and was thinking of re-reading some...Latest book I read was the Harry Potter book...but before that, Sabriel by Garth Nix, which I found entertaining. smile

dreaminghamster
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Just finished Dean Koontz's The Darkest Evening of the Year really good book.

dreaminghamster
Somniologist
Somniologist

MatrixManNe0 wrote:
No, actually. I've not read Eragon, and neither Ender nor Bean had their towns attacked. That, and I like the stories because of the character development and the underlying themes. The plot itself is kinda flat, but I don't believe that is the point of Card's books.

And have you -read- the book? You can't make claims like that without reading the book yet.

I just saw the Eragon movie this weekend, considering picking up the book. I heard bad things about hte movie but it was pretty fun to watch, maybe not reading the book so not seeing how much of the book was destroyed (as all books made to movies are) helped.

Queen SD
Still Dreaming
cookie lover
LD count: Never enough

dreaminghamster wrote:
I just saw the Eragon movie this weekend, considering picking up the book. I heard bad things about hte movie but it was pretty fun to watch, maybe not reading the book so not seeing how much of the book was destroyed (as all books made to movies are) helped.

Yes you should definately read the book it's 100 times better. I can never read books after having seen the movie, nor i read them twice but this is an exception. It's worth it, trust me. wink

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Queen SD wrote:
dreaminghamster wrote:

Yes you should definately read the book it's 100 times better. I can never read books after having seen the movie, nor i read them twice but this is an exception. It's worth it, trust me. wink

READ IT! I heard that the movie was completely different from the book. If you like Eragon then read Eldest the second book in the trilogy (might come out in four books though)

Queen SD
Still Dreaming
cookie lover
LD count: Never enough

Yeah it'll be in 4 books cuz he cant fit it all in the last one
I've already read Eldest and i want to read it again, after i finish reading Eragon for the second time. The movie was disappointing. Very.
I want to read the da vinci code, is it nice? I loved all of dan brown's books and the only reason i havent read it yet is that i've seen the movie. Is it worth reading or is the film just as good?

Magnus
Do a RC, Now!
LD4all addict
Wolfgame
LD count: 48

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

I have been rereading Asimov's Robot series,

"I, Robot"
"Caves of Steel"
"The Naked Sun"

And at the moment I'm reading "The Robots Of Dawn" maybe I'll start rereading the foundation series after that. ^^

Current LD goal(s): Play chess on the moon :), transform into a guinea pig
Amused Himself to Death
pretty close...
Dream Deity

I really like the Republic, but I needed something to read when I didn't feel like reading about it. Instead, I picked up a book on the Italian Renaissance and am reading it. Interesting stuff. I bought this book and 5 other books for 1 dollar at a book fair earlier this year at my university. I was pretty happy with that, hahahaha.

Amused Himself to Death
pretty close...
Dream Deity

Queen SD wrote:
I want to read the da vinci code, is it nice? I loved all of dan brown's books and the only reason i havent read it yet is that i've seen the movie. Is it worth reading or is the film just as good?
hahaha, this is the second time I'm answering this question, but no matter. It is definitely worth the read. Dan Brown ties in aspects of history very cleverly, and that alone makes the read worthwhile. The book was better than the movie in my opinion, as much as I like Tom Hanks, hahaha. The books that films are based upon are usually better than the films, is what I find.

Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sun 23 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

The da vinci code is a great book, and the movie is great too. I got the same feel after watching the movie as the book .
I'm now reading the bible

<mod>Part V of this topic can be found here.</mod>

Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.

print