Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

What Book Are You Reading? — Part IV

Author  Message 
Ithuriel
Savage Wonder Tone
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly, and Weaveworld by Clive Barker. Whoa dreamers have a cool taste in literature from reading this.

Sakoda
That's my name.
cookie lover
Scribes
LD count: '09 about 4
Location: Terhe is an icaseinrng duobt of the rtiealy of tihs rlieaty

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Wizards bane ... really interresting yes

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

I'm starting to read Eldest. It's the second book of a Trilogy. I first started reading the first book back when I was in 7th grade (2003/2004 I think) and I have complete forgotten about the second book. Good trilogy too.

G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity
LD count: 23

MatrixManNe0 wrote:
Picked up Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card at the request of my roommate. I'm only 3 chapters in, but so far as I can tell, the characters are really good. I'll keep posted on how the story turns out.

Oh man, that's quite possibly my favorite series ever. (there's 7 other books with 1 or 2 on the way... grin ) It's split into two separate series, each in its own direction about two big characters and their friends/family.

I'm not really reading anything right now, but in the last year I've devoured all of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books. I know it's a little-kid series but it's pretty deep at times and I love the story.

The Transal Saga is another good book, a stand-alone book, about being transported to another world. Again it is below my reading level but it's amazing.

But most importantly, I just finished the His Dark Materials series (or atleast the first 3 books). My favorite books EVER! I couldn't stop crying at the end.

Current LD goal(s): *formerly known as hunaynay
Troober
The Insomniac
Somniologist

Phantom Leader by Mark Berent

I just started it yesterday, don't know if I like it yet.

Earlier this week I'd read Mutation, Mortal Fear, & Outbreak by Robin Cook, and (at the suggestion of someone else) Wish You Well by David Baldacci.

I've read more books in the past week than I have in the past 5 years, hehe. I decided that since I'm up at night due to insomnia, I may get back into reading. It's better than watching reruns from the 90s or surfing the web.

G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity

kT4all wrote:
I'm starting to read Eldest. It's the second book of a Trilogy. I first started reading the first book back when I was in 7th grade (2003/2004 I think) and I have complete forgotten about the second book. Good trilogy too.

I like his books. They're obviously his first, but Paolini has some great ideas and he sure knows how to make a story interesting. Agh! So many spoilers I could rant about here! Have fun with... trying to figure out who the red dragon on the cover is.

PS: last month, Paolini announced that he isn't able to fit everything into the third book and he's going to extend it into a fourth. whatsthat

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Yeah I saw the podcast video thingy on the website last night. So I guess it isn't a trilogy anymore. lach1

Liam
Is tired
Dream Deity
Liam has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 10

I just finished Angels and demons.

I'm going to start reading The Da Vinci Code soon, does anyone know if the book is better than the movie?

Amused Himself to Death
pretty close...
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

The first two hundred pages of the book are really good times, very fast-paced. It slows down a bit after that, but it is still a really good read. I thought it was clever how he ties in seemingly random events from history into the plot-line. It's worth reading, in any case.

Kava
LD4all addict
LD4all addict

Uhhh remind me again, whats a book?

Reno
Dance Water, Dance!
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 3

Has anyone here read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? It's about a post-apocalyptic Earth where 90% or so of the human population has been killed. There are no longer any living animals or plants and the remaining humans are hunting and killing each other for food.
The setting throughout the entire book is a long dark road where a boy and his father are walking and trying to avoid random hunters.

I've still yet to read it, but can't wait till I get the chance!

Chuckiferd
Somniologist
Somniologist

Ok I have a question. I started reading the Odyssey but then I was like, wait a minute, the Illiad comes first. I would think the Illiad is more Interesting, so should I put down the Odyssey and read the Illiad??

G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity

Well, I had to read the Odyssey for school and I didn't have time for the Iliad, but with some basic background knowledge it makes sense. Just know that the main character is coming home from the war after years.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

Chuckiferd wrote:
Ok I have a question. I started reading the Odyssey but then I was like, wait a minute, the Illiad comes first. I would think the Illiad is more Interesting, so should I put down the Odyssey and read the Illiad??

Iliad doesn't come first, no. smile They're separate stories. Granted, Iliad happens during the end of the Trojan War, while Odyssey takes place after the end of it, but it's not like you get spoilers or anything, it's two completely different stories.

Although I like some of Odysseus' stories, I must say, the Iliad kicks arse. If I were you, I'd read it first, I love it! siiw

Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer

This isn't really a story, but I'm reading "Business and Legal Primer for Game Development".

print