The Dream Movie List

The Dream Movie List
Note: This includes movies mentioned in this topic, and not episodes from TV-series. Most of the descriptions are copied from www.imdb.com If you think something is on the wrong place or know of another movie that isn’t mentioned but should be, PM me and let me know :content:

Lucid Dream Related movies

• Waking Life ~Topic
    A man shuffles through a dream meeting various people and discussing the meanings and purposes of the universe.
  • Vanilla Sky ~Topic
    A successful publisher finds his life taking a turn for the surreal after a car accident with a jaded lover.
  • Abre los ojos (Open your eyes)
    A very handsome man finds the love of his life, but he suffers an accident and needs to have his face rebuilt by surgery after it is severely disfigured. This is the original Vanilla Sky.
  • Inception ~Topic ~LD4all Quest
  • Lucid (2005) ~Site
    Joel Rothman can’t sleep. And that’s the least of his problems. His wife has left him, his daughter is showing signs of severe mental distress.
  • Lucid (2006/I)
    Lucid is the story of two men, Case and Drake, who share one consciousness, connected by their dreams.
  • Mirrormask ~Topic
    In a fantasy world of opposing kingdoms, a 15-year old girl must find the fabled MirrorMask in order to save the kingdom and get home.
  • The Good Night
    Gary Shaller is at a crossroads in his life: his job is going nowhere, his wife, Dora, drives him crazy, and he passed his thirtieth birthday four years ago. Add to that his best friend Paul seems to become more successful every time he breathes. Gary is feeling depressed and dejected… until he meets Anna. She’s beautiful and smart; she’s sexy and funny. Best of all, she’s crazy about Gary. Anna is the girl of Gary’s dreams…literally. And that’s the problem. Gary can only see Anna in his dream life, so he’s got to find a way to carry on the most satisfying relationship of his life, in his dreams. His quest for lucid dreaming techniques introduces Gary to some crazy characters who ultimately give him a new perspective on life.

Dream-Related movies

• A nightmare on elm street
    In the dreams of his victims, a specteral child murderer stalks the children of the members of the lynch mob that killed him.
  • Brazil
    Sam Lowry is a harried technocrat in a futuristic society that is needlessly convoluted and inefficient. He dreams of a life where he can fly away from technology and overpowering bureaucracy, and spend eternity with the woman of his dreams. While trying to rectify the wrongful arrest of one Harry Buttle, Lowry meets the woman he is always chasing in his dreams, Jill Layton. Meanwhile, the bureaucracy has fingered him responsible for a rash of terrorist bombings, and both Sam and Jill’s lives are put in danger.
  • Dreams
    A collection of tales based upon the actual dreams of director Akira Kurosawa.
  • Dreamscape ~Topic
    A government funded project looks into using psychics to enter people’s dreams, with some mechanical help. When a subject dies in his sleep from a heart attack Alex Gardner becomes suspicious that another of the psychics is killing people in the dreams somehow and that is causing them to die in real life. He must find a way to stop the abuse of the power to enter dreams.
  • La science des rêves (The Science of Sleep) ~Topic
    A man entranced by his dreams and imagination is lovestruck with a French woman and feels he can show her his world.
  • The Lather of Heaven
    George Orr, a man whose dreams can change waking reality, tries to suppress this unpredictable gift with drugs. Dr. Haber, an assigned psychiatrist, discovers the gift to be real and hypnotically induces Mr. Orr to change reality for the benefit of mankind — with bizarre and frightening results.

Dream-Like Movies

A Stephen King movie in which a man who specializes in debunking paranormal occurrences checks into the fabled room 1408 in the Dolphin Hotel. Soon after settling in, he confronts genuine terror, and believes he is in a “Lucid Nightmare”.

• Contact
    Dr. Ellie Arroway, after years of searching, finds conclusive radio proof of intelligent aliens, who send plans for a mysterious machine.
    The part near the end where the main character speaks with the alien on the beach in her mind reminded Josh Redstone of a lucid dream

• Dark City
    A man struggles with memories of his past, including a wife he cannot remember, in a nightmarish world with no sun and run by beings with telekinetic powers who seek the souls of humans.

• Donnie Darko ~Topic
    A troubled teenager is plagued by visions of a large bunny rabbit that manipulates him to commit a series of crimes, after narrowly escaping a bizarre accident.

• Dream Breaker / Carver’s Gate
    The world is a bleak desolate place where the people live in elevated cities. As the ground is uninhabitable, the citizens spend most of their lives wasting their time in virtual reality. Carver is a dream-breaker whose job is to enter the world of VR and fix what is wrong.

• Dreamcatcher
    Friends on a camping trip discover that the town they’re vacationing in, is being plagued in an unusual fashion by parasitic aliens from outer space.

• Eraserhead ~Topic about Lynch
    Henry Spencer tries to survive his industrial environment, his angry girlfriend, and the unbearable screams of his newly born mutant child. (David Lunch bases his movies on dreams and/or his movies are often dream-like)

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ~Topic
    A couple undergo a procedure to erase each other from their memories when their relationship turns sour, but it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.

• eXistenZ
    Jennifer Jason Leigh stars as a game designer who creates a virtual-reality game that taps into the players’ minds.

• Groundhog Day
    A weatherman finds himself living the same day over and over again. (This can be associated with FAs)

• Jacob’s Ladder
    A traumatized Vietnam war veteran finds out that his post-war life isn’t what he believes it to be when he’s attacked by horned creatures in the subway and his dead son comes to visit him.

• Lost Highway ~Topic about Lynch
    After a bizarre encounter at a party, a jazz saxophonist is framed for the murder of his wife and sent to prison, where he inexplicably morphs into a young mechanic and begins leading a new life.

• Mulholland Dr. ~Topic about Lynch
    After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesic, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality.

• Peter Ibbetson
    Architect Peter Ibbetson is hired by the Duke of Towers to design a building for him. Ibbetson discovers that the Duchess of Towers, Mary, is his now-grown childhood sweetheart. Their love revives, but Peter is sentenced to life in prison for an accidental killing. Mary comes to him in dreams and they are able to live out their romance in a dream world.

• Sliding Doors
    A London woman’s love life and career both hinge, unknown to her, on whether or not she catches a train. We see it both ways, in parallel.

• The Cell
    A psychotherapist journeys inside a comatose serial killer in the hopes of saving his latest victim.

• The Jacket
    A military veteran goes on a journey into the future, where he can foresee his death and is left with questions that could save his life and those he loves.

• The Matrix ~Topic
    A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against the controllers of it.

• The Thirteenth Floor] ~topic
    Computer scientist Hannon Fuller has discovered something extremely important. He’s about to tell the discovery to his colleague, Douglas Hall, but knowing someone is after him, the old man leaves a letter in his computer generated parallel world that’s just like the 30’s with seemingly real people with real emotions. Fuller is murdered in our real world the same night, and his colleague is suspected. Douglas discovers a bloody shirt in his bathroom and he cannot recall what he was doing the night Fuller was murdered. He logs into the system in order to find the letter, but has to confront the unexpected. The truth is harsher than he could ever imagine…

• Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me ~Topic about Lynch
    A young FBI agent disappears while investigating a murder miles from Twin Peaks that may be related to the future murder of Laura Palmer; the last week of the life of Laura Palmer is chronicled. (David Lynch gets inspiration for his movies out of his dreams)

• Un chien andalou (A andalous dog)
    In a dream-like sequence, a woman’s eye is slit open–juxtaposed with a similarly shaped cloud obsucuring the moon moving in the same direction as the knife through the eye–to grab the audience’s attention.

• El Maquinista (The Machinist)
    An industrial worker who hasn’t slept in a year begins to doubt his own sanity.

• Total Recall
    When a man goes for virtual vacation memories of the planet Mars, an unexpected and harrowing series of events forces him to go to the planet for real, or does he?

• What dreams may come
    Chris Neilson dies to find himself in a heaven more amazing than he could have ever dreamed of. There is one thing missing: his wife. After he dies, his wife, Annie killed herself and went to hell. Chris decides to risk eternity in hades for the small chance that he will be able to bring her back to heaven.

Does that one old episode of Spongebob count?

A few others to consider are Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Nobuhiko Ohbayashi’s House, and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. And as a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I just have to mention the episode “Restless,” which I think rivals any dream film for delving into the various characters’ subconscious.

Sorry for not previously searching thoroughly, but do we have a Dream-Story list? Like for stories not just technique books on dreaming but fictional tales involving dreams.

I’d definitely recommend adding Ink. Just watched it and it was amazing.

Not sure if its been said already, but Labrynth with david bowie is an awesome dream type film, actually one of the most memorable films from my youth and has contributed to my fascination with dreaming

Oh, I have a film to add! :woo:

Bear in mind though that I’m a fan of obscure B-movies, usually terrible sic-fi and horror. :wink:

There is a film from 1994 called Brainscan that has a very trippy ‘Am I dreaming?’ (or in this case, in the game) sort of plot to it. You can also laugh at how 90’s the film is since it’s hilariously dated.

Thanks for the list. More movies for me to find and watch.

Maybe The Science of Sleep should be under Lucid Dream Related movies. The protagonist has only lucid dreams which play a huge role in the story.
And if it is correct what a lot of people say (I haven’t seen it), in the Nightmare series they became lucid at least in one instance, so that might qualify at least one of the movies to go under lucid dream related.

I’d add to lucid dream related:

• Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton, 2010)
    She’s lucid dreaming the entire time and even tries to control it. She talks about the meaning of dream events and dream character to her life.
  • When a Man Falls in the Forest (Ryan Eslinger, 2007)
    One of the stories is about a man that finds a tape titled “An Exploratory Guide to Lucid Dreaming” and decides to learn how to lucid dream. It shows the progress of a successful beginner and kind of also how it affects his waking life.

And to dream-like:

Wow! That’s a really good collection of movie names. :smile: I’ve only seen a few. Science of sleep is my favorite.

I think Paprika (1991), a japanese anime should be on the list. Watch the trailer in this link.

sorry, i got the year wrong. This movie is 2006.

One that certainly should be on the movie list is The Fountain (2006)

The Fountain

i disagree

The Double is a dream-like movie I can recommend

This is a great list! Here’s a couple more for people.

Imaginaerum (2012) - A coma sends an old man into his childhood’s sinister fantasy world, where he must fight dementia and gain back his memories before it’s too late.

The Wind Rises (2013) - A look at the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II. This one isn’t actually completely about dreaming, but it has a great subplot that takes place in shared dreams.

Yesterday, my children and I went to see The BFG (by Steven Spielberg) (after a book by Roald Dahl)

I was happily surprised the story is about a dream catching giant :happy:

Lovely, dream-related, movie!

My favorite is Inception. I love this movie!

[mod]removed the full post quote[/mod]
Thanks a lot

I agree!