What is LD for you? Why doing it?

Author  Message 
FabrÝcio
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: Yeah, sure!

What is LD for you? Why doing it?
PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I don't know if it has been posted yet. But here it goes.

What is lucid dreaming for you? That include OBE's.

What is happening?

1. Are you just in your mind, playing with your thoughts and nothing is real?

2. Or are you in a parallel universe such as real as this physical one?

And why to be lucid? I mean, it serve on what? Just to play? Or to search something? Or cause it is more fun?

I really mean: Why are you searching in this path of lucid dreaming? What are you wanting with this?

To dream or not to dream, that's the question!
hahaha

Thank you.

Yanielle
wandering spirit
Somniologist
Scribes
LD count: 3

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

thats a good question actually and I think it depends on the individual and how far you want to take it. Here are my views

The dreaming is jut another aspect of life. Things happen when your body is awake and active, things happen while your body rests. We spent about half of our lifetimes sleeping, so why not take it the step further? In away it is like a parallel universe where the rules are more your own. I have woken up panting or even sweat covered as a result of a dream, and some dreams have stayed with me since I was small. TO DREAM!

OBE's I'm not totally as comfortable talking about because it has only happened a few times throughout my life. I think they can be great things, jut make sure to work on control; as someone pointed out to me once when I asked about it "what are you going to do if you can't find your way back?" be careful I guess.

you didn't mention spirit guides but connecting with them goes right along with it. give it a shot.

Good luck Fabrico!

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

Hey, there.

Well, if LD's are in your mind or if they are a parallel reality is a complicated question, for me at least. Specailly because of the "what is reality" issue. wink

If you've read "Sophie's World" (I think that's the name of the book in english) you might know what I mean. If you haven't I recomend it! I can't say more about it... spoilers.... neutral

Anyway. For me it's a philosofical issue...

And my ultimate goals with LD'ing is to have fun and do any possible and impossible thing I want grin , like visit fantastic worlds (from Lord of the Rings to Harry Potter and others), plus use them for creative purposes, learn more about myself and grow, etc.

Stricken
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: Dozens.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts, I'll answer them for myself one at a time.

1. A lucid dream for me, OBEs included, are what they are. Dreams, mental illusions, nothing more. However, they're quite fun.

2. What is happening? Nobody really quite knows yet, sleep isn't very well researched at all. However, I don't have any spiritual beliefs attached to it if that's what you're asking. We're just dreaming. And good we're good at it.

3. What I want out of lucid dreaming? I'd like to be able to learn something about my own subconscious, not to mention living out scenarios that would be very impossible in reality. After all, who wouldn't want to have the power of complete control of reality, without the consequences?

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

I believe it is mental phenomena, and have no reason to believe anything more. But it would be cool if it were.

If I have to formulate one reason why I want to lucid dream, I'd say to enrich my life. It's just more interesting to be there and aware. And I want to do all those crazy things you can do in dreams.

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

For me, the dreams are in my mind but the dream world feels real while I'm dreaming. ^^

I also believe that dreams can sometimes be used as a means of communication with family/friends who have died. But I think it would be wrong to actively seek this communication.

Quote:
And why to be lucid? I mean, it serve on what? Just to play? Or to search something? Or cause it is more fun?

I really mean: Why are you searching in this path of lucid dreaming? What are you wanting with this?

Why does it have to be fun or exploration or enlightenment? We can use lucidity for different things at different times. We don't just do one type of thing when awake so why limit ourselves when dreaming?

Quote:
Why are you searching in this path of lucid dreaming? What are you wanting with this?

Why not? We dream anyway :D I look on lucid dreams as an added bonus to the normal dreams that I experience. droom

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
jsf
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 26

Re: What is LD for you? Why doing it?
PostPosted: Tue 08 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

FabrÝcio wrote:

Option 1. I generally lose the environment around me and become aware that it's me constructing it all.

FabrÝcio wrote:

To dream or not to dream, that's the question!
hahaha

Thank you.

Not sure, really. I've just always been interested in my dreams, particularly certain areas that keep cropping up in dreams yet don't exist IRL, and when I realised it was possible to LD, I though, I really need to give this a try!

Hemming
Not quite here...
Somniologist
LD count: Countless

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

Time to tear your post apart and answer bit by bit

FabrÝcio wrote:
I don't know if it has been posted yet. But here it goes.

What is lucid dreaming for you? That include OBE's.

What is happening?

When I'm lucid, I'm usually in a parallel universe that feels, looks and acts as real as this physical one (provided I don't "slip out" or wake up)

FabrÝcio wrote:

I become lucid for several reasons:

- Because it's fun
- To see what I can do
- To experiance otherworldly abilities/powers
- To experiment (eg "I wonder what happens when i fall asleep in a dream?"{ answered} and the like)

FabrÝcio wrote:
Mostly i lucid dream because it's fun. After the first few times (which were years ago), being able to get away with anything loses it's charm, so nowdays I do stuff like searching the internet in my dream and seeing what comes up (very interesting, I recommend trying it)

FabrÝcio
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: Yeah, sure!

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

Hemming wrote:
so nowdays I do stuff like searching the internet in my dream and seeing what comes up (very interesting, I recommend trying it)

Hahaha It's very interesting, really.
Tv too shows the most strange things in dreams.

Hahah great idea!

Muzzius
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 6

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I'm trying to do LDs for the fun, lik using powers, talking to DCs, making my own kinda world, etc. I want to take my imagination to the limits and beyond!

Current LD goal(s): One more.
Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
LD count: 20

Lucid dreaming is just fun.

Basically, once I become lucid, I feel this powerful sense of freedom. Freedom is all I desire, and with lucid dreaming, it's like freedom on speed.

Even
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 0

Well, for me is trying to LD like trying to talk to SGs... I didn't get them yet, but i would really like to talk to one or more of my SGs... i always get goose humbs and stuff like that like crazy during the day, and after reading spiritsrus i believe it is them...

trophycase
Somniologist
Somniologist
trophycase has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 79

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

:D I'm a big fan of this topic. To me, i do lucid dreaming for many different reasons. at first i thought it would just be something fun to play around with, but after feeling it for myself, I have a much deeper appreciation for it. Here's a list of the reasons i do it in order.

1. LD-ing makes use of time that one would normally be wasting (sleep )

2. The feeling that you have when LD-ing is unexplainable. Everything around you is so real and tangible, yet at the same time, you know that you're really asleep in bed. It's also very strange because it feels so real, but you have no limitations. you can do anything you desire.

3. Search my subconcious. I think that this one is slightly overlooked... Sure, LD's are fun, but I like to learn things about myself, and make my LD's meaningful.

4. I like the feeling of having the whole world to myself, and knowing that the whole universe belongs to me, and that nobody can tell me what i can/can't do.

5. It's fun. siiw

6. And finally... I think that it's very appealing because EVERYBODY can do it. There are no limitations, and there's virtually no risks. It's like drugs without the drugs! ^^

And lastly... I Think that it also feels good for LDers because they can do something so amazing that not many other people know how to do. I personally am fascinated that LD-ing isn't talked about more. When i heard about it, at first i didn't really believe it. It sounded soooo awesome to me (and it is...) that I wondered why I had never heard about it before.

Dreman
REM Surfer
Somniologist
LD count: Not enough.

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I do it for fun. It's not like you can do anything else when you are sleeping. It's also a good chance to have some fun and be in control of EVERYTHING. You are God in your dreams. You do what you want to do and there is no one that can tell you otherwise but yourself. If you feel that killing is bad in a Lucid Dream, you don't have to do, but if you don't care, no can stop you. Want to fly to outer space, go ahead. The sky isn't the limit in your world. Your mind is the only thing that can limit you.

UneNoid
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: > 200

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

In the biginning (about 10 years ago) I wanted to experience AP-s and OBE-s to prove to myself that suppernatural things to exist. There are still some doubts.

Then the fun and suspense was added. But this had a side effect that I was bored about flying, moving through the walls etc. So I stoped practicing LD-s.

Now I have discovered that LD-s influence my psychological state of mind in IRL. So I want to use this to increase general awareness.

print