The end of the world...IS TOMORROW?!

Author  Message 
Morpheus :nuu:
this is custom title.
Dream Deity
LD count: 6

The end of the world...IS TOMORROW?!
PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

Okay, so I've heard things on the radio, on youtube, and from my friends that the world is going to end on September 10, 2008 (tomorrow). From what I've been told is that a bunch of scientists in Europe are doing some type of experiment that COULD create a black hole, causing everybody will die.
Scientist group A: Yea, this experiment will probably work
Scientist group B: IT WILL KILL US ALL!?!?

Can somebody tell me what's going on?

The HB
LD4all addict
LD4all addict
LD count: 11

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

The chances of us dying are around 1 in 100000...

So, really, I highly doubt we will.

Basically, there's this machine been made, called the Large Hadron Collider. It's basically going to fire particles or something, and reenact the big bang or something. I don't know exactly, since I haven't worked on it.

Anyway, it's due to be switched on tomorrow at 8:30am British time. And the odds are in the world's favour, at 99999 out of 100000 that the experiment will work without a hitch.

Although it could potentially create a black hole and destroy the world.

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
tkrulewich
Mr. Dr. Professor
Somniologist
LD count: 5

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

ok. I don't know that much about the physics involved, but from what my dad says (a physics nerd) the black holes will probably be created in a particle accelerator. They will fire two particles together at high speeds. Do you think this doesn't happen in nature? I would imagine rapid moving particles from space collide in our atmosphere all the time, and that hasn't killed us yet. After some research I found that scientists believe this happens on our own planet in nature quite often, and that the black holes will have an even horizon smaller than an atom, so it shouldn't be able to even pull in a single atom. It will also give off radiation (in the form of heat?) and dissipate rather quickly. Scientists could be wrong however, but I am not worried at all. My information could be wrong, as my memory isn't perfect, but I think everything I said here is correct.

Morpheus :nuu:
this is custom title.
Dream Deity
LD count: 6

I can't wait!
We either A. Get to live through a scientific breakthrough or B. Die because of a scientific breakthrough
:D

casaBLANKa
Resident resident.
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1!!

I'll talk to my biology teacher about this...he's a genius. He should know about this kinda stuff.

Sounds interesting. I knew the British would kill us all eventually.

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

My science teacher talked some about it today. She said that the people who think that it would create a black hole are idiots and that it won't make a black hole.

tkrulewich
Mr. Dr. Professor
Somniologist

well i don't know all the physics involved but I'd say the physicists and engineers know more than your science teacher tounge2

Sheik
LD count: 1

tkrulewich wrote:
well i don't know all the physics involved but I'd say the physicists and engineers know more than your science teacher tounge2

You never know.. Some teachers are really smart. There's an expression, those who can't do, teach. So teachers couldn't go on creating new stuff, but they know a huuge amount of information on the subject, obviously, because they teach it tounge2

tkrulewich
Mr. Dr. Professor
Somniologist

teachers don't need to know vasts amounts of information on the subject. And it said kTFox's age was 14, so he would be in middle school. Middle school teachers don't need to know much at all tounge2. In fact, everything middle school science teachers really need to know is in their teachers editions of the text books :D.

Essa
A Wandering Soul
Astral Explorer
Essa has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: a few...

Yeah my dad told me that he read about that. I laughed at him, thinking he was joking, then I found the article. The thing is, I don't think that they would actually do that if it had a high chance of killing us all, lol. I just can't see them gainning clearence to perform the experiment. What is the world commin' to? Answer? A black hole.

Can't wait for the results though! Well, as long as we don't die...I'm too young!! wink

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

mildly amusing, isn't it. fun ensues when you take in consideration the fact that, if the said black hole incident does happen, it will raise considerably the odds of the theory put to test being right. i can actually picture an alien form of intelligent life, picking up radio signals from a weird civilisation which, faced with the choice between "possible black hole" and "possibly not being able to test a theory", considered the later fate to be more dreadful.

casaBLANKa wrote:
Sounds interesting. I knew the British would kill us all eventually.

with Yank money, i knew it!

Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

Black hole sun, won't you come?
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun, won't you come?
Won't you come?

tkrulewich
Mr. Dr. Professor
Somniologist

just thought id point out that the machine starts in 1 hour and 20 min as of now. It will be midnight where I am when it starts.

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

tkrulewich wrote:
teachers don't need to know vasts amounts of information on the subject. And it said kTFox's age was 14, so he would be in middle school. Middle school teachers don't need to know much at all tounge2. In fact, everything middle school science teachers really need to know is in their teachers editions of the text books :D.

Umm, actually .. no. I'm 15 and a Sophomore in high school. Just to clarify things. And yeah the machine is coming on soon. The experiment begins on September 10 soon after 9 a.m. (0700 GMT).

Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

I think many people don't understand the PURPOSE of the machine (and if you are reading this post, more than likely we are all still alive, unless you are some razy time demon.)

The purpose of the machine is to create a mini black hole by launching particles art each other at the speed close to light.

The black hole is so tiny, it dissipates within a millisecond.

this more than likely happens around us all the time and we don't notice it, because obviously we don't notice when particles collide.

it also happens in the earth's atmosphere, which we do know. guess what? we're still here!

So when they say 'black hole' they DONT mean mega huge planet-sucking thing. They mean tiny, atom sized black hole that we can record. which is good. we may be able to study material that hasn't been around since the big bang!

woohoo!

print