The end of the world...IS TOMORROW?!

Author  Message 
G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity
LD count: 23

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

I have little to contribute but this:

I love this forum! Sanity + actual logic? I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been online enough to see the chaos the Internet is in over this important experiment. I've taken enough physics in my short education to know the LHC is being blown way out of proportion in terms of its danger, and its potential to change our understanding of particle physics is being horrendously downplayed.

bruno wrote:
i can actually picture an alien form of intelligent life, picking up radio signals from a weird civilisation which, faced with the choice between "possible black hole" and "possibly not being able to test a theory", considered the later fate to be more dreadful.

"Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly." ~Arnold Edinborough

Current LD goal(s): *formerly known as hunaynay
Kava
LD4all addict
LD4all addict

Are we treading where we shouldnt be?
PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

I dont really understand this fully, but aparently this expirament might prove how the universe was created. There are therorys saying it may create small black holes that would threaten our planet, or open up a doorway to another dimension.

Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover

There is already a topic about this, it's in the lounge. It's called "the end of the world is tomorow".

Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.
Stricken
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: Dozens.

There are theories that it could create small black holes, yes. The portal to another dimension stuff is pure nonsense. For one, the fourth dimension is generally considered time, and any dimensions beyond that probably don't exist. a Dimension isn't actually a physical place, just the way we look at things. For example, the first dimension is width, second height, third depth, so traveling through additional dimensions would simply add more perspectives, such as time.

As for the black hole thing, even if that were to happen, they would be far too small to have even the slightest impact. Everyone simply instantly distrusts new technology. The atom bomb was the end of the world, then television caused cancer, then microwaves caused cancer, then cell phones emitted microwaves. Nothing will ever come of it, people will freak out for a bit and move on, like Y2K, 2012, and every other event ever.

Kza
Pope
Somniologist
LD count: Last one4-16

Stricken is right. And, even if it was made, it, by the same science that made it, would die. Hawking's theory, the one that gave him fame, was that black holes DIE. One so small would die instantly.

Oh, here's some webcam of the LHC. I love how many people are around it, working so constantly. If you don't see any, odds are there will be in a few moments.

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

Lucidity_Master
Dream Diety
cookie lover
LD count: At Will
Location: Probably the Golf Course...or maybe the Lucid Crossroads

From the way I understand it, the LHC was built to collide protons in order to test the Standard Model ( the basic model for particle physics). The experiment (theoretically) is expected to produce a particle known as the Higgs Boson which is the only particle not yet observed. The discovery of this particle would help explain various issues with mass and explain how other elementary particles acquire mass.

According to the Wikipedia article there was equipment failure and, as such, the collider won't be operational again until Spring 2009.

LD count: starting over

People think they are so smart, its so sad

Stricken
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: Dozens.

Lucidity_Master wrote:
From the way I understand it, the LHC was built to collide protons in order to test the Standard Model ( the basic model for particle physics). The experiment (theoretically) is expected to produce a particle known as the Higgs Boson which is the only particle not yet observed. The discovery of this particle would help explain various issues with mass and explain how other elementary particles acquire mass.

According to the Wikipedia article there was equipment failure and, as such, the collider won't be operational again until Spring 2009.

Something like that...they had a malfunction, and as such the initial startup of the machine was delayed, and it will not run at full capacity until spring 2009.

As for what the LHC was built for, in addition to the above, I believe it is supposed to simulate the collision of particles during the Big Bang, showing us how stars and planets and all other astral bodies are initially formed. It's quite a huge prospect for discovery of new things.

meta_phy
Somniologist
Somniologist

There is way too much argueing over this. Scientists have gotten death threats and some girl killed herself because of it. This is something to be greatful for, to be in the midst of a scientific revolution. Who cares if we die because it will be all of us! It wont make a difference. I personally dont beleive they would waste billions of dollars on something that they are that skeptical about. It will reveal very mysterious things, it just needs a little time.

Lucidity_Master
Dream Diety
cookie lover
LD count: At Will
Location: Probably the Golf Course...or maybe the Lucid Crossroads

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

It will probably do two things if all goes smoothly.

1. We will see the Higgs Boson which will add evidence to our current standard model of particle physics.
2. We won't find it at which point scientists will probably decided that either the collider wasn't big enough/ this wasn't the right way to approach the problem OR it will be decided that the standard model isn't good and revision or a new model will need to be made.

print