Current Wings Quest 127
LD4ALL 23rd Anniversary Party

What is reality?

Author  Message 
LD count: ive had 3

What is reality?
PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

what in your opinion is reality?

<mod> please don't use all CAPS in topic titles, it looks like you are shouting. </mod>

relV
Light
Dream Deity
LD count: yummy

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2008  Reply with quote

reality is everything you experience how ever far fetched and unrealistic it may appear.
Thats my opinion.
Cheers
Ariel

Lucidity_Master
Dream Diety
cookie lover
LD count: At Will
Location: Probably the Golf Course...or maybe the Lucid Crossroads

I'm pretty much with relv on this one. Reality is what you percieve it to be, if you were on an acid trip and convinced yourself that the trees were pink or saw them as pink then for all practical purposes trees arte pink.

Reality it what my sense experience tells me it is, although perhaps a little naive it works for me, gives order/sense to my life, in short it works for me and I don't see any reason to ponder much further.

intresting
i dont know if i believe in reality

Aks
Half decent
Astral Explorer
LD count: 10

Reality is what you least expect it to be ^^.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

Lia wrote:
i dont know if i believe in reality

then lets do it the other way around: what's not reality?

relV
Light
Dream Deity

Bruno has brought up an interesting question.
As to LDreamerland post "I dont know if i believe in reality"
Id say you can divide the word reality into your private reality and the public reality, the reality.
The public reality can not be experienced by humans on earth because we are too focused on the material, we do not see the true nature of things, although an experienced monk is probably getting a version really close to the public reality, everyone perceives their own reality. I for one, started noticing a totally new reality when I started meditating, I could see everything in a much more beautiful way as if I were high and I could see things in much better perspective<mod>edited out, please see the forum rules regarding drug use</mod>, I would see the big picture instead of a fragment of reality, I sometime noticed I am observing the entire picture, beyond the physical illusion, the energy involved, how everything is the same and is entirely just energy running all over.
So, our own reality is of course different from one another but nevertheless, the term can be explained in my opinion simply by: what you experience.
That is your reality, there is one ultimate reality, but the physical senses can not grasp it.

LukeJ
1337 h4xx0r
Novice dreamer

My toughts are reality. The only reality I can be sure is real.
"I think, therefore I am." Descartes
Sure, there may be other reality. But I wil never know.
Which brings me to: Do other people have any mind? If you think they do, how can you be so sure?

a Chinese philosopher once said "If i have a dream that i am a butterfly, which me man or butterfly is dreaming"

i thought that was quite interesting

another point is when your not thinking of its say your mom does she still exist when your not at work does it exist

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods

as poet and king Yi Bangwón once said,
    이런들 엇더하며 뎌러들 엇더하리
    만수산 드렁츩이 얽어진들 긔 엇더하리
    우리도 이가티 얽어져서 백년까지 하리라.
but — is that even a question?

what i mean to say is: whether «my mom» exists as some piece of objective reality, whether she's just a delirium whispered to me by a cartesian demon, does it really matter? the fact is, for now i'm under the impression of having a «mother», and i'm under the impression of having had one such «mother» for a really long time, and those impressions affect me in such and such ways. should i live in spite of these impressions and affections? can i live in spite of it?

questioning your own sanity ain't good: granted, it will lead you nowhere. because no matter if you're perfectly sane or a victim of some crazy psychotic delusion, trusting yourself is still the only choice you've got.

player07
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 60-80

I dont know what is reality and whats not. I can say " that was a dream " or "that is fu**in life", but was that dream real just in my mind or not? is`nt this life just a dream?
I just cant answer this questions on my knowledge level, but i will fight for it untill i`ll reach my target.
My life is answering the questions

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2008  Reply with quote

well think of this the world is what we percieve it to be

for example in a dark forest we see a bush
well to any person it might look like a bear a car or even a person
but when that person does look at that bush and says oh my god its a bear
it will look more like a bear then a bush
because our mind is telling us "hey watch out that looks like a bear"
so what else is our mind altering?

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods

Lia wrote:
so what else is our mind altering?

pretty much everything! our perception is limited. not only is it limited, our gross perception is filtered, and only a selection of it is presented to conscience. then it is filtered again, by something diabolical called language. at this point, it is completely distorted, and whatever figment of reality is left is so blended into a big crazy delirium we call «mind» that it's not even worth trying to look for it.

and that's perception for you: if you really want to compute how bad our distortion of reality is, you'll surely have to count judgment and action also. and then there's habit and conditioning too. and did i mention language? because, really, human beings are funny that way: they think there's a clear cut, «self-evident» definition of what is family (or better yet: what configures «incest»), or that reality-out-there has laws governing what is and what is not «inteligence», «planet» or «life».

still, my argument persists: this is a very nice discussion, it can grow ridiculously abstract and before we even go there, let me just repeat once again that questioning your own sanity leads to a quite ennerving contradiction, which will only yield sleepless nights and weeks worth of therapy. but: no matter what conclusion you reach here — and by that i mean you can even decide to postulate that yes, you're crazy and you cannot trust a single figment of your perception — it's not like you have an alternative. «reality», reality is not even a question. it doesn't matter whether it's there or not, whether we get it or not, it's not like we have an alternative to trusting ourselves and going with the flow — no, not on that one.

what you can do is try and understand in which ways your perception is distorted, but by the time you do that, you're already trusting your perception. if you are indeed psychotic and this is all a crazy dream, even what the neuroscientists tell you in the magazines is not to be trusted (because there are no neuroscientists!), and you will never have a shot at understanding how exactly your perception is distorted. worse yet: you'll be trapped in a hallucination where you think you got it, when you actually really didn't. what a poor joke, you will be, then. but really, and i must repeat this once again: can you act like you had had a choice?

indeed
and have you ever felt like your apart of someone elses dream
and your just a dream character?

relV
Light
Dream Deity

I dont think its possible that it is all a dream. Let me explain why.
To me, I am alive, thats for sure, now there is the possibility that all of my life are in fact a dream but that would mean that everyone I know, including all of you people here are in fact figments of my imagination which of course can not be proved to be incorrect, assuming you are in fact real and this is not a dream, any one of you can think the same about their life, so every one in a way could never really know if this is all a dream or "reality" but again, what is a dream? and what is reality? dreaming = astral projecting .
When we are dreaming we are projecting our consciousness to the Astral planes, the only difference is that instead of seeing the public astrals we are watching our own environment created entirely by ourselves, by our SC where in an AP we are watching the public astrals. So in fact dreams are reality in my opinion, as I said in my first post in this topic, reality in my opinion is everything we perceive because in fact everything we perceive in this plane of life is energy being decoded by our senses, by our brain and makes such an impression on ourselves. At a certain situation, every human being will perceive it differently according with his own consciousness, sub and non sub, according to his own processor, his brain.
like bruno said, it doesn't matter if youre insane or sane, you can only trust on yourself at all times as you simply dont have any choice.
Again, I believe there are two terms to recognize, our private reality, each one has his own reality, the life he chooses consciously and subconsciously to live and there is the public reality, the one, we can not be completely aware of right now as we are in physical form.
The two terms are completely different in my opinion as that every individual on this planet experiences his own private reality with no one else experiencing that same reality opposed to the public reality which is one and ultimate.
Therefore our reality is in my opinion everything we experience, whether we are on acid, thc, alcohol and coffee each day, whether we are complete "insane" or whether we are perfectly "normal" human beings.

print