EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Create a New Color While LDing!!

Author  Message 
tyrael
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
tyrael has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

PostPosted: Sat 08 Nov, 2008  Reply with quote

If you are LDing and your eyes are not active, would it be possible for you to create a new color? Have any of you ever attempted this? Or ever accomplished it for that matter. If you haven't, I hope you try it.

EDIT: So here we have a spectrum of all of the visable light and colors we know.

As you can see here, all visible light falls in between infrared waves and ultraviolet waves. Our eyes in the waking life can only pick up that small set, of infinite amounts of color. Who is to say that our eyes can only perceive that section in our sleep? We may be able to, in our sleep, expand/broaden the view that we sense.

I suppose a note on this is that, the definition of a color is what we compare it to, so perhaps creating a substance/object that we can correlate with a new color with would be a proactive way of accomplishing this.

Tomothy wrote:
Maybe you should try and see Octarine?

I found this qoute from colourlovers.com...

Quote:
"The folks at the Conscious Entities blog posed that very question: "There has to be an octarine, doesn't there? The mere conceivability of another color shows that the spectrum is not an absolute reality. It seems to me that, just as we can always encounter a completely new smell, there would always be scope for a new color, if our eyes were able to develop new responses the way our nose presumably can.

So in our dreams, should we not be limited by the senses, we should be able to create octarine, or any color for that matter. Don't you agree?

Isturite wrote:
I'd have to agree on the fact that it is aboslutely!!! unexplainable... think about it, explain the color blue

blue, "of the color intermediate between green and violet; having a color similar to that of a clear unclouded sky".

The reason we would not be able to describe a made up color, is because we have nothing to compare it too. Although we could, also in theory, compare it to things that we don't know the color of. Such as subatomic particles. It would still be something for ourselves to compare it too. Something without a color. Something not bound by the laws that govern waves.

Last edited by tyrael on Wed 21 Oct, 2009; edited 21 times in total
Winter Depths
Prince of Winter.
Dream Deity
Winter Depths has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 24

I'm not sure...But I suppose anything is possible. I'm sure you could dream up a color that's a mix of all colors, but it's not black. Your imagination would have to work here.
for me, I know it's possible to create "good colors" and "bad colors".
Good colors make you feel good, bad ones make me feel scared, sad or anxious.
smile

Qu
Founder
Site Admin
Qu has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: lost uhm lots

Quote:
And I know that people say that you can only dream of what you have seen.

well this is not true, I have seen things in dreams I have never seen IRL. And I see colors in my dreams I can't reproduce in real life so yes, it would be possible. Primary color I wouldn't know, (eg yellow, blue or red -- a new one), but why not, you would just have to try.

tyrael
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
Scribes

I would think that it would take many trys, and a lot of will power. I don't care how long it takes, I am going to do this. ^^ Others reading this, try it with me if you want. t(^_^t)
Post your success/failure stories here!

TwilightDreamer
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

Problems with such, is that you wouldn't be able to explain it to anyone in any possible way - Not by name, nor by description.

I do believe, however, that it is possible - just that it won't worth the effort.

However, you might prefer to try and create the most beautiful colour to have ever existed - that might be more "useful".

Tomothy
Oneiromancer
Astral Explorer
LD count: A few

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2008  Reply with quote

I think it would definitely be possible in an ND because quite often my brain seems to think things that don't make sense. So you could remember having seen a new colour. I don't know how this would work in an LD.

Maybe you should try and see Octarine?

tyrael
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
Scribes

Octarine does seem like a suitable quest for me. I'll give that one a go tonight.

Ang
Never Die
Dream Deity
LD count: 14

I can say that I have seen, what you say, 'a new primary color', in at least one of my dreams. And I agree with Twilight, that such a sight is indescribable. A pity, really.

(I'm more intrigued in how exactly my brain conceives of something that, by laws of physical science, is "not possible". Interesting.)

Isturite
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I aslo agree on the fact that you can see a new primary color in a dream... I haven't seen one in a dream, yet in a different form of an OOBE... yes your brain does usually only dream about what it has seen and is familiar with, yet that's what some people consider to be a difference between lucid dreaming and astral projection. In an astral projection you are not creating your reality with the construction of your past-thought in your neuron web, you are observing realities.

I'd have to agree on the fact that it is aboslutely!!! unexplainable... think about it, explain the color blue

Megaspel

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2008  Reply with quote

I think what will happen is that you will be able to see a new colour in your dream but in waking life you won't really be able to remember what it looks like since you dreamt that you saw or invented a new colour but you just know it's a new colour, you don't really know what it looks like. I can't really explain my self very well.

tyrael
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
Scribes

Megaspel wrote:
I think what will happen is that you will be able to see a new colour in your dream but in waking life you won't really be able to remember what it looks like since you dreamt that you saw or invented a new colour but you just know it's a new colour, you don't really know what it looks like. I can't really explain my self very well.

Even though you don't remember what you saw, I'm sure that it would still leave the impression on you as simply, awsomeness

Isturite wrote:

blue, "of the color intermediate between green and violet; having a color similar to that of a clear unclouded sky".

The reason we would not be able to describe a made up color, is because we have nothing to compare it too. Although we could, also in theory, compare it to things that we don't know the color of. Such as subatomic particles. It would still be something for ourselves to compare it too. Something without a color. Something not bound by the laws that govern waves.

Last edited by tyrael on Wed 21 Oct, 2009; edited 1 time in total
AaBbCcDdEe
Somniologist
Somniologist

It's been reported that people see new colours in dreams quite a bit. That's because there's a range of colours on the spectrum that we can't see. Some birds are able to see them, but not us.
Since it's a dream and does not depend on our physical eyes we are able to see new colours.

Tomothy
Oneiromancer
Astral Explorer
LD count: A few

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008  Reply with quote

I dunno, it seems more likely that you just "see" the new colour. Like your brain says to you, "This is a new colour" and you're like "Sure! It's amazing."

It's the Emperor's New Clothes or something.

Aks
Half decent
Astral Explorer
LD count: 10

PostPosted: Wed 12 Nov, 2008  Reply with quote

A new color? I just got a headache from trying to imagine a new color, that has never before been seen.
I just can't imagine a new color, but I am open to the possibility that you could see one in a dream ^^ .

Winter Depths
Prince of Winter.
Dream Deity
Winter Depths has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 24

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008  Reply with quote

A good technique (I would think) To making this new color is to mix all of your known colors, and see what you get. If your really imagineative, I bet you could get something other than black! ^^

print