EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Most Important Question! Ask Yourself!

Post new topic Reply to topic

Author  Message 
Wond3rland
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
30
Posts: 324
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Last Visit: 29 Sep 2009
LD count: 22
 
Most Important Question! Ask Yourself!
PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

So what it REALLY boils down to is this...

The question is simple; subjective or objective? To simplify...


Do dreams take your mind to a place, or take place in your mind?





... I wond3r


back to top
Graech
Philosophic Dreamer
Somniologist
783
Scribes
Posts: 196
Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Last Visit: 17 Apr 2016
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Wow, you've been pretty philosophical these past few days (referring to Doubt). I will definitely, both scientifically and figuratively, go for the latter option.

WARNING: Don't read this next part unless you want a headache!

Dreams take place in the mind, and you become a person in the place that is your mind...

My head hurts now. If yours doesn't, then think about that statement for a minute or two till you realize that it actually does make sense.


back to top
LegendaryDreamer
All-Natural
Somniologist
LegendaryDreamer has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
25
Posts: 216
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Last Visit: 08 Mar 2013
LD count: 61 Total, +1
Location: Everywhere
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Dreams take our souls to a new world where we can freely express all of our emotions in a completely safe manner.


Current LD goal(s): Do A Reality Check! If lucid, take off and FLYYY!!! One of the best things to do
back to top
EllyEve
This is not an apple
Dream Deity
EllyEve has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
31
Posts: 771
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Last Visit: 09 Jan 2019
LD count: 20+
 
PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Dreams take our mind to a new place in our mind. :D It's not so bad if you can think that there's a direction at right angles to the three that we know of.

back to top
Tonch
Welcome to Moonside
Novice dreamer
Posts: 26
Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Last Visit: 28 Apr 2011
Location: New England
 
PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Well if we're being figurative and colorful, dreams do take your mind to a place. But not literally. If we're talking seriously here, dreams most definitely take place in your mind.

I don't buy the whole OBE/astral projection nonsense. That would be a whole lot more fun, but unfortunately I doubt its scientific merit.


back to top
Kaizu
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
Posts: 30
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Last Visit: 13 Aug 2009
 
PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

LegendaryDreamer wrote:
Dreams take our souls to a new world where we can freely express all of our emotions in a completely safe manner.


this.


back to top
Graech
Philosophic Dreamer
Somniologist
783
Scribes
Posts: 196
Joined: 28 Nov 2006
Last Visit: 17 Apr 2016
 
PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Tonchiki wrote:
Well if we're being figurative and colorful, dreams do take your mind to a place. But not literally. If we're talking seriously here, dreams most definitely take place in your mind.

I don't buy the whole OBE/astral projection nonsense. That would be a whole lot more fun, but unfortunately I doubt its scientific merit.


That's true, but do you realize that you have a mind within your mind in order to be inside your mind as your dreamself, not at the moment consciously being every person around you?

I think that's the key to LD control: realizing that everything you see is your own mind and is therefore just an extension of you.

Wow... I've been reading too much Noodle. I'm even starting to sound like him.


back to top
Tonch
Welcome to Moonside
Novice dreamer
Posts: 26
Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Last Visit: 28 Apr 2011
Location: New England
 
PostPosted: Tue 11 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Graech wrote:
That's true, but do you realize that you have a mind within your mind in order to be inside your mind as your dreamself, not at the moment consciously being every person around you?

I think that's the key to LD control: realizing that everything you see is your own mind and is therefore just an extension of you.

Wow... I've been reading too much Noodle. I'm even starting to sound like him.
Ha ha, I know what you're getting at, but my way of looking at it is that since you're in your mind, you know what's going on everywhere inside it. People most often happen to take the viewpoint of themselves, but I think this could be why some people remember dreams from multiple viewpoints (sometimes I'm not sure if a dream I had was in first-person, or third-person, with me watching myself. Most dreams seem to happen in first-person, but I remember the majority in third-person).


back to top
Shadow Dreamer
Flying Away
Astral Explorer
Shadow Dreamer has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
Posts: 370
Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Last Visit: 23 Apr 2014
LD count: Not enough.
Location: I am out there... somewhere.
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Your mind is the place and the place is your mind.
Your mind creates its own reality seperate from this one. It seems entirely real yet nothing happens to your physical body. It is all in your mind.


back to top
krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover
35
Posts: 1375
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Last Visit: 07 Oct 2013
Location: Luleň, Sweden
 
PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

This spatial element seems to only cause confusion. Dreams don't "take place". They are hallucinations. All you see is an image produced by your brain. Just compare it to your waking experiences! Do they take place in the physical world or in your mind? They actually HAPPEN in your physical brain, but does your mind exist in the physical world? Is your mind a "place" in any way? It seems like an odd definition of the mind. Is the mind a thing? an object? Can it be taken from place to place? And if so, what are dreams, if they take the mind-object to a place, but the place it takes the mind to is the dream itself. So the dream is the destination and the agent that moves the mind. That seems very complicated. It is so much easier to just see dreams as hallucinations that happen when we sleep. It strips away all these odd concepts that don't seem to make sense.

back to top
Wond3rland
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
30
Posts: 324
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Last Visit: 29 Sep 2009
LD count: 22
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Okay, um yah... all of you, right. I merely asked to prove this. Either answer is incredibly brilliant and magical. Either our minds construct a beautiful world with no limits. Or an inner body travels to a place (space I figure) and each has their own.

We're playing God here people.

In christian teology God is loving. Wanting an Earthly kingdom of joy and the love of a family. Sound like anybody you know... yah everybody. We all ultimately want a house and a family, all the other stuff is extra.

Like ice-cream... do you really need the hot fudge, the strawberries, the jellybeans, gummi bears, caramel, nuts, and whipped cream. (Referring to life and its clutter of course... ha)


back to top
RoD
Ruler of Dreams
Somniologist
24
Posts: 116
Joined: 15 Aug 2009
Last Visit: 31 Mar 2010
LD count: Like 3
Location: In my dreams
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Wond3rland wrote:
Okay, um yah... all of you, right. I merely asked to prove this. Either answer is incredibly brilliant and magical. Either our minds construct a beautiful world with no limits. Or an inner body travels to a place (space I figure) and each has their own.

We're playing God here people.

In christian teology God is loving. Wanting an Earthly kingdom of joy and the love of a family. Sound like anybody you know... yah everybody. We all ultimately want a house and a family, all the other stuff is extra.

Like ice-cream... do you really need the hot fudge, the strawberries, the jellybeans, gummi bears, caramel, nuts, and whipped cream. (Referring to life and its clutter of course... ha)


That is a very psychological way to look at things. Life is indeed like that, we are all greedy, and we all want everything, in addition to life.

Dreams are in our mind, we control our minds, thus controlling our dreams (after realizing we're dreaming of course). Then, we become a character within our own dreams.


back to top
Yves
Frightened Butter
Astral Explorer
27
Posts: 308
Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Last Visit: 03 Sep 2013
Location: Thought Space
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Wond3rland wrote:
We all ultimately want a house and a family, all the other stuff is extra.


I would have to disagree. Some people in this world simply drift; they wander where the moment takes them. Vagrants.

In any case, I think dreams are what you make of them. If you believe that dreams are a place of peace, of meditation, then they are your sanctuary. If you believe they are a place to have fun and experiment, they are a playground. If you believe they are an artistic expression, they are your studio. Thus, dreams are what you make of them, simply because your mind controls the entirety of them.



Current LD goal(s): Stabilize a dream and explore it.
back to top
Wond3rland
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
30
Posts: 324
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Last Visit: 29 Sep 2009
LD count: 22
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

I like the comparisons (experiment/playground stuff). But I don't think you really disagreed with the first quote. Some people do drift, but only at failed attempts to find out what they really wanted, a kingdom and family... Do not be distracted we have been put here to practice for enternity. Do any of us deserve godliness, are any of us worthy?

back to top
Tonch
Welcome to Moonside
Novice dreamer
Posts: 26
Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Last Visit: 28 Apr 2011
Location: New England
 
PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009  Reply with quote

Wond3rland wrote:
I like the comparisons (experiment/playground stuff). But I don't think you really disagreed with the first quote. Some people do drift, but only at failed attempts to find out what they really wanted, a kingdom and family... Do not be distracted we have been put here to practice for enternity. Do any of us deserve godliness, are any of us worthy?
I could argue that-- I don't necessarily want a house, and I have no desire to start a family. None. Granted, I'm still young, but I am pretty sure I'm not going to change much in this regard. Although, your quote applied to Christian theology, which I have no part in.

However, if you're merely talking about wanting a place to belong and wanting the love of the family/friends you've already got or may obtain, then I could say that yes, it's probably not a stretch to assume everyone wants that. But only if you use "family" and "house" very, very loosely.


back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

print  

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB
LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~