Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author  Message 
grygier
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Lucid dream limits?
PostPosted: Fri 09 Apr, 2010  Reply with quote

Do you feel there are any? for example

how would the subconscious mind know how sex feels like if the person never experienced it?

will it create the sensations you think it would be?

sometimes it feels that in my dreams feelings are "muted" and i wonder if it's because i never experienced it and my mind has no reference... but then again i passed through a glass door and felt a sensation that i don't think i can really describe.

so i'm conflicted. =P

--
-Michal

<mod>Moved from Quest forum.</mod>

Lord Antares
Limitless
cookie lover
Lord Antares has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

Two words for you:

NO LIMITS

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Lolz4All
Combat the Infinite
Somniologist
LD count: Why to count?

The limits are what you think what limits are.If you believe there aren`t limits, then limits won`t exiist.

patches
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 3

I don't know, I feel like your kind of talking about two separate things.
yeah obviously there are no limits in Lucid dreaming,
but I wouldn't call the subconscious filling a gap a limit..
who knows, sex could be better in a Lucid dream than in real life, to someone who has never felt it before.
There could be absolutely no limits and it could be heaven.
I think that thats a very interesting idea though.

Dreamghost
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 20 + 1 pLD

An advise, if you think on limits, they´ll be there. You´ll wake up or nothing will happen because you are not sure enough. In LD´s are no limits. If the person has never expierenced sex p. e. your mind will give you the sensations. Maybe it wont be such like sex IRL but I think it´ll be good also (maybe better as in Real^^)

So:
Dont think about the limits think about the possibilities!

Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space

PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr, 2010  Reply with quote

Here's something else to ponder on. Your mind has a database that tells it how to interpret every different feeling that your nerves could send it. While it may have never made the connection before, your mind already has every variable for it programed in. It may not always guess accurately, but it'll usually do a good job. Don't worry about whether or not it feels exactly like it would in RL, because in the end your experience will be just as enjoyable.

Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
flyinghawkins
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Many

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr, 2010  Reply with quote

Right - no limits in an LD. Unlimit your mind and you unlimit the possibilities you can experience waking or dreaming. If you think "I can't do that" you'll prove yourself right every time, guaranteed. Think positively and expansively and you may find that you are able to experience way more than you thought you could.

sleepyguy
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Fri 30 Apr, 2010  Reply with quote

Rhewin wrote:
Here's something else to ponder on. Your mind has a database that tells it how to interpret every different feeling that your nerves could send it. While it may have never made the connection before, your mind already has every variable for it programed in. It may not always guess accurately, but it'll usually do a good job. Don't worry about whether or not it feels exactly like it would in RL, because in the end your experience will be just as enjoyable.

Really interesting point. It does make some sense that your body already knows what it would be like for any of your senses to be fired up. Perhaps LD can get closer to RL experiences, even if you haven't done something before, or if its not actually physically possible.

6502x86

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010  Reply with quote

I can definitively answer YES. There are some very specific limits. If you have not experienced something in real life before, and it's not something that you can logically guess what it would feel like(like a drug, for instance) then you mind will just do random crap.

I had a dream where I imbibed a whole bottle of whiskey. When the effects hit, very, very weird thing happened. My head itched, peoples faces turned into the texture of a starry night sky. This was during an unintentional lucid dream, and I remained lucid throughout. I wanted to try alcohol, instead, I just got weirdness. Similar things have also happened in non-lucid dreams.

Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space

PostPosted: Thu 06 May, 2010  Reply with quote

6502x86 wrote:
I can definitively answer YES. There are some very specific limits. If you have not experienced something in real life before, and it's not something that you can logically guess what it would feel like(like a drug, for instance) then you mind will just do random crap.

I had a dream where I imbibed a whole bottle of whiskey. When the effects hit, very, very weird thing happened. My head itched, peoples faces turned into the texture of a starry night sky. This was during an unintentional lucid dream, and I remained lucid throughout. I wanted to try alcohol, instead, I just got weirdness. Similar things have also happened in non-lucid dreams.

That's not really a limit, per se. What happens in those cases is your mind will process any information that it knows about the subject and make its best guess. Essentially, it's a clever simulation based on things you might have heard before. Does that mean it can't be as enjoyable or fun? No. I can even say in my case, using sex as an example, it correctly guessed what it would feel like long before I ever actually did it. The same thing happened with me on intoxication. Different, yes. Limited, no.

Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
ekspresis
LD count: 28

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010  Reply with quote

wow. this forum is awesome. very inspirational and helpful smile

Gutana
Daily Dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 100~150ish

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2010  Reply with quote

Really? I heard somewhere that dreams end when you feel a sensation you've never felt before, thats why you wake up when you die? Or something like that XD
I guess its different for LDs?

KauaiDreamer
Aiming for the stars
Dream Deity
KauaiDreamer has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 43

PostPosted: Sat 29 May, 2010  Reply with quote

I think it all depends on what you believe in.
I for instance believe in a universal subconscious/mind. Maybe you might not know what making love feels like, but your subconscious would because it is linked to everyone else, and carries the memories of everyone. There will be differences because of the way people experience the same thing differently, but I guess you can get the gist. It also depends on how lucid you are and how self aware.
That is why you can ask the dream something you don't know the answer to, someone else will. wiske

Current LD goal(s): ~get better at making a healing energy sphere, conquer doubt, fear & negativ
Mew151
Ebil HOST of LC60
cookie lover
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d
Location: Universe............. Favorite Animal: Mew....... Nightmare count: 4

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2010  Reply with quote

The only thing you can't do is nothing.
Wait, you can do that too.

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
geekboy
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 8

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2010  Reply with quote

wow good to know this was a question on my mind as well ty ^_^

Current LD goal(s): see a sunset/sunrise and a night sky
Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

print   ShareShare