EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 131
The Spirit of Giving XIV

Sungazing

Post new topic Reply to topic

Author  Message 
Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer
29
Posts: 387
Joined: 30 May 2005
Last Visit: 15 Oct 2011
 
Sungazing
PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

I've seen a few topic on this forum that mentioned sungazing. In fact, ld4all is where I first heard of sungazing. It was claimed that staring at the sun can provide nourishment to your body, and I'm sitting here thinking, "How so?"

Common sense says it will damage your eyes. A deeper investigation says the eyes don't have chlorophyll for photosynthesis. Also, solar radiation doesn't contain any nutrients.

I'm posting here because I'm concerned about the people who think sungazing is really helping them. I say it's just causing unnecessary eye damage. :(


back to top
Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
151
Scribes
Wolfgame
Posts: 2504
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Last Visit: 06 Dec 2019
LD count: %d
Location: Prism Stone
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Well, not during midday!

The topic I read said during sunset/sunrise. And I think it was for a spiritual purpose.



Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
back to top
Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer
29
Posts: 387
Joined: 30 May 2005
Last Visit: 15 Oct 2011
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

How does the time of the day make any difference?

back to top
Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
151
Scribes
Wolfgame
Posts: 2504
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Last Visit: 06 Dec 2019
LD count: %d
Location: Prism Stone
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Well, you should start at those times because the sun is less bright, because the sun isn't pointed directly at you.

And then when you get used to it look at it longer.

That's what eyeli - er, Presence of Light said.



Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
back to top
Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer
29
Posts: 387
Joined: 30 May 2005
Last Visit: 15 Oct 2011
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Even if I did sun gazing during sunset/sunrise, how does staring at the sun help?

back to top
Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
151
Scribes
Wolfgame
Posts: 2504
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Last Visit: 06 Dec 2019
LD count: %d
Location: Prism Stone
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

http://ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28146


Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
back to top
Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer
29
Posts: 387
Joined: 30 May 2005
Last Visit: 15 Oct 2011
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Unfortunately, your post is nothing but a link to the topic that sparked my concern. If you know exactly how sungazing works, can you explain it to us?

One of the post websites say that sungazing is "the ancient practice of deriving nutritional energy directly the sun". The problem is that there is no nutritions in sun light.


back to top
Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
151
Scribes
Wolfgame
Posts: 2504
Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Last Visit: 06 Dec 2019
LD count: %d
Location: Prism Stone
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Well actually I don't know.

I just took information from that post. grin



Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
back to top
FretDancer
Truth Seeker
Astral Explorer
29
Posts: 301
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Last Visit: 04 Jan 2012
LD count: 2
 
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Sock Puppet wrote:
Unfortunately, your post is nothing but a link to the topic that sparked my concern. If you know exactly how sungazing works, can you explain it to us?

One of the post websites say that sungazing is "the ancient practice of deriving nutritional energy directly the sun". The problem is that there is no nutritions in sun light.


Maybe its concerning spirituality and has nothing to do with anything scientific. Could be that what you call as sungazing transmits happy emotions, or similar things.



Current LD goal(s): Explore Area 51, Go to the moon, Explore New Zealand and Egypt.
back to top
jkup
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
26
Posts: 51
Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Last Visit: 18 Jul 2010
LD count: once a week
 
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Its something far beyone your knowledge and you seem very closed minded already smile

back to top
tosxyChor
Dream Winged Zen Pony
cookie lover
tosxyChor has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
30
Scribes
Posts: 2415
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Last Visit: 30 Dec 2013
LD count: d(LD)/dt>0
Location: Present Moment
 
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

jkup wrote:
Its something far beyone your knowledge and you seem very closed minded already smile

That's not a really nice thing to say, you know. Judging a person on the spot, especially since he didn't do anything wrong. I hope you will be more understandable of others' opinions in the future.

Besides, sun exposure in and on itself is a good thing, exposition to the skin helps bone develop and/or repair itself, it helps with regulating your circadian cycles, not getting insane from staying sun-deprived too much... and lots of other things. And what the sun sends over to Earth is essentially energy, so it's not entirely out of the question that it could be in some way assimilated from the body.

And to close my argument, sungazing is really a nice way to start a day, since it's some minutes of complete silence and relaxation, somewhere peaceful, and sunlight helps with kickstarting the day ^^



Current LD goal(s): Healing
back to top
Sock Puppet
Con Artist
Astral Explorer
29
Posts: 387
Joined: 30 May 2005
Last Visit: 15 Oct 2011
 
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

FretDancer wrote:
Maybe its concerning spirituality and has nothing to do with anything scientific. Could be that what you call as sungazing transmits happy emotions, or similar things.

Unfortunately, spirituality is a controversial topic. If someone wants to prove anything using spirituality, then the next thing they have to do is argue for the existence of spirits.

jkup wrote:
Its something far beyone your knowledge and you seem very closed minded already smile

It's beyond my knowledge because someone didn't exactly how sungazing works.

I'm open to new ideas, but I also have to apply some skepticism. You say I'm closed minded, but the truth is that everybody is closed-minded to some degree. In my case, I want to stick with ideas that have been proven, and I take unproven ideas with a grain of salt.

tosxyChor wrote:
Besides, sun exposure in and on itself is a good thing, exposition to the skin helps bone develop and/or repair itself, it helps with regulating your circadian cycles, not getting insane from staying sun-deprived too much... and lots of other things. And what the sun sends over to Earth is essentially energy, so it's not entirely out of the question that it could be in some way assimilated from the body.

I'm not sure what you're arguing for, tosxyChor. It seems like your argument is less about sungazing and more about the benefits of sun exposure. It's true that the sun sends out energy in the form of solar radiation, which has certain health benefits for the human body like the examples you've mentioned. ^^

On a personal note, I do like watching landscapes during sunrises, but I don't have to stare directly into the sun to enjoy the morning.


back to top
tosxyChor
Dream Winged Zen Pony
cookie lover
tosxyChor has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
30
Scribes
Posts: 2415
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Last Visit: 30 Dec 2013
LD count: d(LD)/dt>0
Location: Present Moment
 
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Haha, I see you've noticed the sneakiness of my point
I've yet to try seriously to sungaze on a schedule, so I've refrained from expressing personal opinions on the matter. Hopefully I'll be able to say more after this summer ^^



Current LD goal(s): Healing
back to top
jkup
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
26
Posts: 51
Joined: 11 Jul 2010
Last Visit: 18 Jul 2010
LD count: once a week
 
PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Yea but being closed minded to things that might not have a scientific explanation can blind you like the sun would if you staired at it for to long haha.

back to top
30
Chat Mods
Posts: 1444
Joined: 06 Apr 2007
Last Visit: 26 Jul 2017
LD count: 13
Location: Hunting...
 
PostPosted: Fri 16 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

jkup wrote:
Yea but being closed minded to things that might not have a scientific explanation can blind you like the sun would if you staired at it for to long haha.


Just like discarding the tool of science, can leave you floating lost in the clouds, paralysed and unable to reach any useful conclusion at all, much less further yourself or the species as a whole. Both modes of thought have their merit and value, let's not forget that. wink5

Accusations of close-mindedness seem to appear a lot when it comes to this sort of thing, and the irony is, it is as close-minded to reject out of hand the value of science or an attempt to apply it as it is to reject the value of spirituality, or to claim science as an ultimate outlook on the world.

------------


As for my view on sun-gazing, I can't say I find it to be an attractive pass-time. I much prefer feeling the blustery wind from a powerful storm blasting me in the face and taking my breath away. Although watching the sun rise over the ocean with the waves lapping, is an image that stays with you, forever. The beauty of nature can really only be described as magnificent in my opinion.

I'm much less inclined to believe we absorb nutrients from the sun etc etc, than I am the peaceful serenity that the sight can invoke in our minds, has a profound effect on our mental well being, and therefore our physical well being too by way of proxy. Perhaps this doesn't give you the exact answer you were looking for Sock Puppet, but maybe it helps? Incidentally I share your concern about staring at the sun, but I don't feel its appropriate to tell others how to live. If you want to do this, then I'd advise the utmost caution, the sun can and will destroy your vision if you aren't careful, regardless of how spiritual you find the experience. My personal feeling is the risk is too great to try it, so I find other means of invoking a peaceful mindset, there are an infinite number of them.



Current LD goal(s): Become a Dragon! RAWR!
back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

print  

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB
LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~