EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

Are spirit guides real?

Author  Message 
flamebush

Are spirit guides real?
PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2011  Reply with quote

Thank you, I'm still trying for one. I almost had it a few days ago. Anyway, your spirit guide, is it real? Would it tell you all your flaws and what you can do to improve your life?

<mod>This topic was split from How much do lucid dreams improve your life quality? dragon</mod>

StarryGwee
Meeep meep
Dream Deity
StarryGwee has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 100+

Spirit guides are real in my opinion, and yes they would. They stick with you, and they're sort of that gut feeling you have. They're wise and know what's best for you. ^^

Current LD goal(s): Visit: Imladris, Lothlórien, Hobbiton.
flamebush

So if, for example, I ask them what to do in a real-life problem I am having, they would tell me?

StarryGwee
Meeep meep
Dream Deity
StarryGwee has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 100+

They guide you to the right direction, they don't nessaarily tell you what to do, because ultimately it's your decision. They sort of show you or tell you the results of the paths you take.

Current LD goal(s): Visit: Imladris, Lothlórien, Hobbiton.
carwashguy

Depends on if you tend to believe in supernatural phenomena or not.

Personally, I believe lucid dreaming is a scientifically explainable occurrence with no "otherworldly" involvement. So, I'd say the so-called "spirit guide" is just a dream character and nothing special.

chacham
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 2

carwashguy wrote:
Depends on if you tend to believe in supernatural phenomena or not.

Personally, I believe lucid dreaming is a scientifically explainable occurrence with no "otherworldly" involvement. So, I'd say the so-called "spirit guide" is just a dream character and nothing special.

Well, if you believe spirits are embodied wisdom, and you believe dreams have messages from the Collective Unconscious, both are true.

I must sound like a broken record, repeating Jungian ideas.

Current LD goal(s): Flying
carwashguy

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2011  Reply with quote

chacham wrote:
and you believe dreams have messages from the Collective Unconscious, both are true.

And here you're branching off into even more metaphysics. First, you'd have to acknowledge the existence of a collective unconscious (correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that it's not like this hypothesis is universally agreed upon). Next, you'd have to agree that dreams have messages (or that they mean anything at all). There are many different opinions out there nowadays. For example, Laberge seems to subscribe to the idea that dream content doesn't have any inherit meaning or symbolism other than that they serve as an evolutionary means to prepare people to better survive the world around them. Hobson doesn't believe they have any meaning to them at all (see activation-synthesis theory). Celia Green tends to take a neutral point of view in her writings about Freud and Jung, but there's definitely an underlying skepticism.

My point is that none of this stuff is agreed upon, and the function or meaning of dreams is still unclear.

wturnipseed
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

i think that if you think they are real, then they are pretty much real, but if you think they are nothing more than a DC, than there nothing more than a DC

Current LD goal(s): Attain another Lucid Dream!
Quiesco
Re-active?
Astral Explorer
LD count: 10

Real in the sense that they exist, I would say so. I've not personally met mine, should it be, but there are hundreds upon hundreds of people who say they exist. I wouldn't see it as anything... Unusual or supernatural. I think it's more of an embodiment of your thoughts, but unlike most dream characters, since you give it more of a meaning and connection, helps you think and rationalize your own thoughts.

Current LD goal(s): Visit that ball of plasma in the sky. Yup, the Sun.
chacham
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2011  Reply with quote

carwashguy wrote:
it's not like this hypothesis is universally agreed upon)

True, unfortunately. tounge2

As i am currently reading Jung, and it's all clicking with me, i'm becoming a real believer in this stuff. His material is a lot more than conjecture, and the explanations behind it are phenomenal (as in good). I am also experimenting with meeting what might be my anima, so, it's hard to see it otherwise.

Regardless, according to Jung, the spirit-guide is explained by the collective unconscious. And very well too, assuming the spirit guide is wisdom.

gamblino100
Somniologist
Somniologist
gamblino100 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 12

I pesonally believe that a spirit guide is as real as anything else, I dont really go with the word real because how do you really define what that means. is something not real if it is just a thought form or is it just a different sort of real. I think i do know what is meant by this but i think we can only really know what our own experience allowes us to for certain, otherwise it is my belief or his or her belief. nothing is created without the thought first or the dream. I dont know if im making any sense at all. interesting to know what others think about all this though. smile

Current LD goal(s): get onto the USS Enterprise
kitsun313
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 0...

I think what Gamblino is trying to say is that it is like faith or belief in religion: If you blelieve spirit guides are real, then they are. If you don't, then they aren't. I haven't had any experiances with spirit or dream guides, though (yet!), so I'm not sure what to think yet myself.

Current LD goal(s): Improve dream recall to at least 3 in one week
chacham
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

gamblino100 wrote:
how do you really define what that means. is something not real if it is just a thought form or is it just a different sort of real.

According to Jung... smile

Real to an extrovert is anything in the outer world of people and things.
Real to an introvert is anything in the inner world of thoughts and ideas.

The other world is dealt with only when required.

gamblino100
Somniologist
Somniologist
gamblino100 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 12

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2011  Reply with quote

smile I have been quite interested in carl jung, have been looking for a biography on him but cant find any in my town. just a small town and our bookshops dont have a lot of variety. I will probably have to order one in, i have ordered Robert waggoners book which i have been reading at the moment.

I consider myself quite a spiritual sort of person in that im open minded but also stand firm in my beliefs still keeping room for new ideas though.

I was just pondering on that which jung said but am wondering does the introvert have a little of both, as we would obviously know outwardly what is real and be open to believe in the possibilities of the things from within being real also in there own sense. but the extrovert may find it harder to be open to that belief maybe whatsthat

Current LD goal(s): get onto the USS Enterprise
chacham
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2011  Reply with quote

gamblino100 wrote:
I was just pondering on that which jung said but am wondering does the introvert have a little of both, as we would obviously know outwardly what is real and be open to believe in the possibilities of the things from within being real also in there own sense. but the extrovert may find it harder to be open to that belief maybe whatsthat

If we equate "real" with "objective", it becomes better understood? The other world exists, as you point out, but it is dealt with via a subjective attitude.

print