LD4all Quest 76: Dream Biology

LD4all Quest 76: Dream Biology
Auteur: Ansie

Each month, on LD4all :ld4all: we have a new Quest to explore your LD’s in a fun way.

Click here for a list of all the LD4all Quests
Click here to suggest a Quest yourself
Click here to add your own Quest travel log

Dream Biology
Nature can amaze us in waking life. Who looks around him/herself can see the most amazing forms of life. The real world is already so special, shouldn’t the dream world be even more exiting?

Pretend to be a biologist and go look for something surprising from nature. Discover a new animal, a new plant or an interesting place in nature!

Afterwards you can use your own skills and describe your discovery the way you want. You can write, draw, paint… let the world know what the dream nature us has to offer! That can be done with a lot of passion :smile: Nature is beautiful, and the dream nature can be beautiful without limit!

To complete this Quest and earn your wings* Become lucid

• Look at your surroundings with the eyes of a biologist
  • Find something special and study it, make sure you can post details the next day.
  • Describe your discovery in your way in this topic.
  • Post your dream in this topic (a link to your DJ is allowed but you have to post in this topic that you have succeeded)

Please be very clear if you feel you have completed the Quest or want to try again - Q will only give wings if you feel you have been successful in completing the Quest, the wings are a reward for yourself.

pasQuale will give everyone who earned it their wings at the end of this Quest, so please be patient

Preparations/Incubation
Before going to sleep or while doing your LD incubation technique (WILD/WBTB/MILD, etc):* Set your mind for this Quest

• Try to be open to new things, look around you irl
  • Think how it is possible to be dragged with the dream without losing lucidity. Think about rubbing your hands, yelling lucidity increases etc.
  • Think of how you can remember details best. Maybe you want to make notes in your dream? Maybe you want to say out loud what you see?

Post your attempts, whether you feel you succeeded or not, in this topic :smile:

last but not least: have fun everyone! :happy:

Though the quest is meant for studying the dream world in LD, I would like to share some experience I have had with animals in ND. It’s just that I am interested in biology and intend to study it at university as well. So once in a while all kinds of critters creep into my dreams.

A few weeks ago I saw a dream about doing entomological field research. I have done it as a student so I have a habit of studying the insects I find more closely. In the beginning of the dream I tried to catch a very large dragonfly with a wingspan of maybe 6-7". Its wings were glittering spectacularly in the midday sun and it seemed as if it were teasing me as they always do. I wasn’t able to net it because they are very intelligent beings and marvelously skilful pilots. I left the dragonfly alone and went inside to check something.

Later on I returned to collecting bugs and to my surprise it was winter outside. I found a weird place with crevices where a lot of different insects were hibernating. Since it was cold and they were inactive, I managed to collect them in a cup and study them one-by-one. They were even more beautiful than the dragonfly. Most of them were shield bugs with color patterns of different kinds, somewhat like these:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Metallic_shield_bug444.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Giant_jewel_bug_%28Eucorysses_grandis%29.jpg

But some of them really caught my eye. There were two similar bulky rose chafers. They were bluish-green with a metallic tinge and looked really nice. What was special about them is that they were bigger and more rectangular than in real life. The second curiosity was that they were exactly identical, except for the fact that one was matte with hairs all over its body while the other one was shining.[spoiler]I hid this part because it’s a bit off topic but still interesting. The thing is that I have two 1" diameter metal balls that I would like to use to initiate an OILD. I think it is not a coincidence that one of them is polished and the other one matte. I only noticed this similarity while writing this post. I have wanted to see these metal balls in a dream because they are small but heavy and might help me stabilise LD-s or just do RC-s. Now it seems that they have come to me in a different form but with the same attributes. I’ll have to research this a bit more.[/spoiler] Below is a link to a picture of a rose chafer from Wikipedia.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Cetonia-aurata.jpg

I have been catching different insects as long as I can remember. Rose chafers are definitely my favourite bugs and I am really happy that my brain sometimes decides to show me such beautiful creatures, especially in the wintertime when I can’t go outside to look for them.

Sorry if this post doesn’t comply with the most important rule that the dreams described must be lucid. I just wanted to share my experience.

Sweet dreams,
Raul

The deja vu I had while reading this post is uncanny. I didn’t know about the quest yet, but came close to acheiving it last night. I had a nightmare where I was in my bathroom (the room was distorted… One of the dozen dream signs I missed) panicking because of a ripple under my skin. A spider crawled out of my shoulder. A simple one, most like a male black widow (small, without the hourglass mark). Then, it was happening again. An insect was trying to get it’s way out, stuck under the skin of my fore-arm. But it was a completely new organism. Most like a very long caterpillar, but it was made of a long series of horizontal lines that had no piece in the middle to keep its form together. It eventually pierced the skin but only it’s antennae were visible. I was holding a long bowie knife, panicking about whether I should attempt to remove it or not. Then it ended, so I couldn’t discover how this new insect’s structure is held together. I had red flags all over the dream, but I must have been too panicked to concentrate and become lucid. Most unfortunate, because now I’ll never figure out how that little guy was held together. It’s bugging me…

Yes, pun intended :razz:

haaa
I will do this tonight. Expect it :grin:

It´s done! :mrgreen_hat:

I am so happy to see once again that lucid dreaming is not as unpredictable as I tend to think sometimes. Yesterday I realized that I had plenty of time today and I felt really motivated to set my mind right, lay down and have a LD; since the last one was quite some time ago. Now this is what happened after WBTB:

In my bed, trying to sleep. I don´t remember what it was, but something was awkward. I do the Nose RC and become lucid. I tell myself not t get too exited and try to stand up. It does not work, I feel my real Body moving as well. The Dream ends and leaves me in my bed.
__

Again I do the Nose RC and [color=blue]realize its an FA. I start rubbing my Fingers together to get Feedback from the Dream. The Quest in my mind, I stand up and look over to my Window where I have a plant standing in WL. I see not only one little Plant but rather three, two of them are similar and quite big, like fern but instead of the many little leaves there is only one looking something like the profile of a bulb. I look the right and see another, smaller plant that is very awkward. I quickly decide that this is what i looked for and examine it closer. It is about 25 cm in height and 15 cm wide, having a strange growth pattern: Imagine a mix of a small ( maybe 6 cm) Pumpkin and a star fruit. Now make it palish red and add some white dots ( about 0.5 cm in diameter) so the outside looks like a salami with white dots ( yeah probably better not to eat that..). In the next step add 5 small leaves by attaching them on the top so they are horizontal ( like on a strawberry but bigger and only 5). To imagine the plant, take some of these and put them on the ground with space between them, and then take some more and put them on top of these, again some space in between so you can look through it at some spots now continue adding levels until it is about 25 cm high. e voila! Strange Dreamplant is finished. I shift my attention back to those bushes and find out that the leaves are now only a third of their former size. Dream Nature is changing quite rapidly... Now I want to say out loud " More Vividness!" but nearly no sound leaves my mouth. I try again but it seems like Im whether unable to speak or to hear properly. … . Again, the dream fades.
_

And results in another FA. I get lucid because I hear my mom and dad come in, which is unlikely as Im living in another city since last year. So another Nose RC, unfortunately lucidity is rather low, I try to say something, it works better but my voice is deep and contorted, I try to jump through the window, ... , Im outside of the house standing on the window ledge of my room. Trough the window I see myself talking with my father, … , I lose lucidity[/color]
and the dream continues for a few minutes before I wake up.

Im still pretty happy that it worked and looking forward to my wings, Im gonna wear them with pride! :grin:

Chris

The new Quest for May is now posted. Join the LD4all anniversary party.

For those successful with the dream biology quest, please be patient and Q will be along to hand out wings at the latest next weekend :spinning:

[center]

Congratulations

TheChris

for earning your wings with this Quest! :yay:

:boogie: :boogie:

and well done for everyone who tried but didn’t succeed this time! :smile:
[/center]

This Quest is now officially over. You are ofcourse free to still do this Quest at your leisure, and post in this topic about your results, but you can’t earn wings anymore by completing it.

Another opportunity to earn your wings in the next Quest! :smile: