Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Character Assisted Lucid Dreaming...CALD part IX

Author  Message 
TheWistfulHermit
Location: Somewhere between reality and fantasy...next to Bill's Auto Repairs

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2012  Reply with quote

Thank you.

I just tried typing via an app on my Ipad and it was quite successful. I also talked to my character in my thoughts at a point when I wasn't typing (don't feel like putting too much detail at the moment). Our conversation felt really natural and lively; as in it didn't really felt "forced", I guess I should say.

I plan on reintroducing another character to my conversations since last time, it was fun seeing the two personalities interact.

Also, I apologize if I'm not being too descriptive with my characters. I'd be glad to tell a little bit about them if anyone is interested.

CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 17

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2012  Reply with quote

Sure, you can tell us anything you like. Along with a description I'd like to know long you've had your character because it sounds like you already quite a ways along.

If you haven't already said anything you should let your character(s) know that you want help with lucid dreaming. How you decide to have your character(s) help is up to you but have a look over the thread and see if any particular method stands out. If you forget to do anything like this then you might end up doing the C part of CALD really well but completely ignoring the ALD part.

Keep up with it and I think you be successful.

TheWistfulHermit
Location: Somewhere between reality and fantasy...next to Bill's Auto Repairs

My character's name is Avalonia (Avy for short). She is a black fennec fox who is around 3 feet or so. She's in a semi-chibi style (aka her head is quite big, although her huge ears make it seem smaller) and wears a blue sci-fi suit. She has blue hair with big bangs that curl up. Her weapons are random but she enjoys carrying a Seburo-esque pistol. There also another aspect about her but I'm a bit embarrassed to say.

In terms of her personality, she tries to be positive and cheerful. Although it isn't in a way that makes anyone, especially me, feel uncomfortable. She also is a fan of 80s sci-fi anime and manga (as well as the music from that time).

It's nice having her since she's able to piggyback on me in certain scenarios.

Also, I've had this character since around 2010 or so but only recently have I actually talked to her.

LordSameth
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Many

Just tried CALD last night for the first time and it seems promising, although I never had a LD.

After the full night of nothing and waking in the morning before my alarm, I just checked with my character, fell asleep, dream, alarm went off, talked with my character, hit snooze and fell asleep for 10 more min, alarm, talk to character, snooze, sleep. After a few rounds of this I got my character in a false awakening helping me choose my clothes! If they weren't a lazy butt and reminded me to do a RC I would have been rocking it!

Worth working on this one, I got really quick results and having a dream buddy will really be a big help in becoming more active.

Current LD goal(s): To master animal shapeshifting. Success in Eagle, Wolf, and Fish~
DutchThor
LD Fossil
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug, 2013  Reply with quote

I guess this is a bump..

Reading another topic about the realism of DC's I remembered this topic. And now I'm wondering if any of you are still using this technique.

I've been skimming through serveral topics and Im wondering if this technique is something for me. Some of you experience things that I'be heared before, but from writers working on a novel. It's like the characters come alive when typing or writing.

I'm wondering how many of you actually made the connection with these characters in a dream?

Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013  Reply with quote

I do still use the technique to an extent. The Second Doctor, who I chose as my character, now acts in the place of a DG. I have had multiple dreams with him, and once or twice he has helped me become lucid.

Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer
Leijona has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 90

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2013  Reply with quote

DutchThor wrote:
I guess this is a bump..

Reading another topic about the realism of DC's I remembered this topic. And now I'm wondering if any of you are still using this technique.

I've been skimming through serveral topics and Im wondering if this technique is something for me. Some of you experience things that I'be heared before, but from writers working on a novel. It's like the characters come alive when typing or writing.

I'm wondering how many of you actually made the connection with these characters in a dream?

Yup the CALD topics have been very inactive, some of us are mostly on the tulpa forum thatís linked a page ago. I for one am currently trying to get back into LDing, but first things first, so Iím still working on DR at the moment. My mind characters/tulpas/whatever are still all there and Iím not planning on neglecting them any time soon. Iíve never had any actual success with CALD itself, but the characters can be of a big help when it comes to improving your awareness or giving you suggestions ŗ la MILD.

Concerning the writer thing: Yes, Iíve also come to the conclusion that a good bunch of writers/artists could definitely have a MC/tulpa without realizing it. Sometimes you stumble upon an interview with a writer who talks about how his characters are basically the ones telling him the story, or you might come across a comic where the artistís character interacts with the artist just like any other real person would do. Itís difficult to differentiate though between such characters and the CALD characters, and one would have to ask the artist to be sure about it. I can only say so much, there seem to be a lot more people with talking, self-aware characters in their head than youíd think.

Occasionally I do have (very awesome) dreams with my characters in them, and one of my main goals in each LD is to meet them. After all, meeting your character in a (lucid) dream is as difficult or as easy as summoning any other person.

Current LD goal(s): visit an abandoned place
LotusFlowerBomb
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug, 2013  Reply with quote

Wow this sounds really cool! I've always loved making up characters and stories and having imaginary friends as a kid so the fact that I can have a mind character to help me with lucid dreams is exciting! I'm having a little trouble visualizing her though. I think I got the hair, eyes and skin color down but I can't think of her clothes and everything else. I'm kind of making her someone you would see out of a TV show/cartoon/video game, so I don't think looking at pictures of other people would help. Do you have any tips for me?

Current LD goal(s): First I need to vividly remember my dreams every night...
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug, 2013  Reply with quote

Using reference images can be of a great help when it comes to visualisation. If you and your character have anything particular in mind, even if it's just something like "I want (her) to wear a tshirt rather than a jacket" then that's a good starting point already. Maybe you've seen some clothes you liked, and maybe your character would like them too? You say she's like someone from media; how about looking for some reference images of cartoon/TV/game characters then?

However, don't get all worked up about visualisation. Your skills in that area will get better as you keep working on them. Your character's appearance isn't anything permanent, you or she can always change things (or even the entire appearance) later on. So, if you can't decide on her clothes, then maybe just go for something simple, like a pair of jeans and a top or something. smile

Spyink
LD count: 5

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug, 2013  Reply with quote

I created a character named Ocean, but I call her Penny eh She's the girl that tried to help me fly in my first LD. She has blue and purple hair but sometimes blonde depending if it's night or day time in the dream. Her personality is kinda weird. Although she's very wise and helpful, she tend to be quite naive and even disrespectful at times.
I usually talk with her before I sleep and we often discuss dreams and her existence in my mind.

Current LD goal(s): Learn how to fly.
Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug, 2013  Reply with quote

@Spyink That's awesome ^^

Next time you talk to Ocean as you fall asleep, why don't you ask her if she could help you become lucid in your next dream. I bet she'd be happy to help if she's already been with you in LD's before.

Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
Ryuka
Psion
LD count: 2 known LDs

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2015  Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not sure if we're not supposed to post here anymore, as it's been inactive since 2014, but I'm interested in trying this. My question is whether I can do this with characters that already exist. I don't feel that making up my own character will be very effective compared to using a character I already know and love, such as characters from a show or game. Alternatively, is there a thread for flushing out your characters with other people? I'm sorry if there are and I did not find them. I searched CALD in the google search as well as the forum search, but mainly I found the closed discussions that existed before this thread.

Current LD goal(s): Activate all 5 senses while lucid
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

Hey Ryuka, hope you'll still see my late response. :D Yep, using existing characters is very much possible. IMO even somewhat easier, since you save yourself the effort to come up with or wait for the character's personality to develop on its own.

If you do have the time, reading through some of the old threads, posts and tutorials/guides about CALD is worth it. nod There is the Character Chat in the Playground, though you'll find it abandoned, sadly. If you're looking for some more user activity, going to the tulpa community (see last page) would probably be your safest bet. It's not the same as CALD, but it might serve as a way to get faster and vaster feedback from other people.

print