Author  Message 
Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2006  Reply with quote

Sepultura123 wrote:
I don't agree. I can give you the exemple of sex. When I was young I was dreaming a lot about sex and I never had experienced it. When I did sex for the first time that was exactly like in the dream.

Really? eh Well, for me it was definately not.

Sepultura123 wrote:
Same thing if you put on exemple when you here hurt in your dream. Its exactly the same thing even if you never had this kind of hurt.

Hm, that's another funny thing. If I'm bitten by a snake in a dream, I have the right feeling, for I know it (ugh). However, if I'm shot at in a dream, it hurts, but I suppose a real shot would hurt a LOT more...

I have a question for any programmer that reads this: during my life, I have changed the way I dream. If you look at my dreamjournal now, you might notice me dreams (at least more significant ones) no longer represent unexpected situations, but more like metaphors and encenations for whatever has crossed my counscious or subcounscious mind during waking life. It feels like me trying to interpret myself. How/why did this happen?

Lark
Me
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006  Reply with quote

Sepultura123 wrote:
I don't agree. I can give you the exemple of sex. When I was young I was dreaming a lot about sex and I never had experienced it. When I did sex for the first time that was exactly like in the dream.

I haven't read this entire thread yet cause I don't have time right now, but I'm going to since it looks very interesting. In there mean time Ijust wanted to say to Sepultra that while you had not experienced the actual act of sex, I'm sure you had experienced the different sensations and emotions that one feels during sex and your mind was probably just able to combine them to create the effect.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Wed 03 May, 2006  Reply with quote

Quote:
If you look at my dreamjournal now, you might notice me dreams [...] no longer represent unexpected situations, but more like metaphors and encenations for whatever has crossed my counscious or subcounscious mind during waking life. It feels like me trying to interpret myself. How/why did this happen?

Do you try to interpret your dreams, Bruno? Or does it mean that you can more easily understand your dream metaphors? Anyway, I've no explanation.

I would just add to my previous post that I've watched a neurobiological lecture and that the topological map example I used to explain neural networks was very good. grin Neurobiologists just use quite the same, as they consider there are "attractor pools" of neurons, which width and depth vary. They are represented like topological maps. The biggest the pool, the more your ideas and dreams are likely to converge toward it, like rain into a stream or a lake. That's what we would call a dreamsign.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Fri 05 May, 2006  Reply with quote

Moreover, I've just read that REM sleep is said to reactivate those "attractor pools" so that it is exactly similar to what I said above in my "beach under the rain" metaphor!

*Basilus West feels he is a genius turn3
*but he wonders if someone has understood uhh

Wolffe

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006  Reply with quote

This is a rather popular theory for dreaming, I must say! :D
One thing it doesn't explain though, is why REM deprivation may result in death, if all dreams are just for 'practice'!

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006  Reply with quote

It's for a very simple reason, it's because REM deprivation doesn't result in death. wink
This idea came from Pr Michel Jouvet's first REM sleep experiments (on cats I believe) in the 60's. This theory has been proven false and some people who have brain problems or who are submitted to certain medication don't experience REM sleep (it's the case with some barbiturates and anti-depressants). Yet it seems that REM sleep deprivation may cause learning problems but this point is not perfectly clarified.

drumsticks77
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006  Reply with quote

kudos on the logic.
i can see how this theory could be exersized to multiple uses. What if I wanted to conquer a fear, or overcome/expand on a feeling? You could openly train yourself to taylor any need you have. If you're scared of flying and you're going on a long plane ride, lucid dream about flying and assure yourself of the safteyness. If this theory is true, then you would slowly erode the fear of flying. Hooray! I'm going to try testing this theory next time I establish lucidity. I'll post back if I have results.

print