EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

LC #41 - Congratulations Thorn!

Author  Message 
HeadInTheClouds
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
HeadInTheClouds has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: a lot

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2014  Reply with quote

I had a long LD last night.

In it, I completed the monthly quest, although earlier in the month I had already completed it before. I think that counts, but I figured I should mention it. I mainly just walked through my house, trying to get light switches to work.

Also, I don't know if this qualifies, but if it does then I became lucid through a new method. There is a method I heard about called RILD, where you clap your hands together IRL, then imagine yourself doing the same after awakening in the middle of the night, until you find yourself actually doing it in the dream. It is basically a rhythmic version of FILD. However, I was able to become lucid using RILD from a FA. It was a very vivid dream, but I'm not sure if this counts as a new technique or not.

Current LD goal(s): Have a LD every night; Have longer and more vivid dreams
BrandonBoss
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 1450ish

Another ND in a car. I spend too much time in cars!

ND:
I am on vacation with my wife. We keep stopping at random people's houses and I remember the end part really vividly where we are both talking about Lisanna and worrying about her and where we left her and who we left her with. My wife was driving. I am thinking of an awesome way to complete the race, but I didn't get lucid last night because I spent the wholenight taking care of sick wife and daughter.

Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space

I rode on a train and also on a golf cart.

Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
Oleg
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
Oleg has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Enough of this wishful observation on my part! I'm sick of it! A weakness that preys me constantly...

I am joining. My motivation and determination will run out, sure, but that's of no concern. I will not falter. I will crawl my way to the end, possibly on the verge of the death and blood-stained from the sheer effort (of sleeping). Yet, falter, I shall not.

Name: Oleg
Medium length LD: Expectations? Roughly 1 - 2 minutes - 5 at best.
Personal task: Enter a physical fight (preferably something with sword in it, by the way)

By the way, I'm curious... am I the only one who thinks the importance of 'length' is considerably overplayed? Methinks the quality of recall, clarity and coherent thought within is much more important. In fact, I had a 15 second LD once, and it was far more interesting because it didn't feel so... false and betraying.

But whatever. I'll just go with it, albeit slightly irked.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Last edited by Oleg on Sun 02 Mar, 2014; edited 1 time in total
Thorn
Another LD4all Dragon
cookie lover
Thorn has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 403

The first of the two NDs posted here sees me riding in a car. My main concern was getting the early points for this task despite interrupted sleep, and that is now alleviated. The other points will likely happen in my NDs or LDs over the next six weeks, as I am often riding vehicles or boarding in dreams and am often racing them. Now I just need to try for the group incubation. smile

Current LD goal(s): Get back into good LDing habits
Lumessence
Transcendent
Astral Explorer
Lumessence has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Wed 26 Feb, 2014  Reply with quote

1. Mew151 - <10 seconds - Play DDR Dream Mix
  2. Thorn, 5 minutes, become Wyvern's drawing of me
  3. ZRVera, 3-4 minutes, give a DC a good punch in the face
  4. ian1, 4 minutes, Fly.
  5. Scipio Xaos, 3.5 minutes, Fly with my wings again! :D
  6. HeadInTheClouds, 2-3 minutes, Summon Three People (and/or Animals)
  7. James_UK2008, 2-3 minutes, Shapeshift
  8. muccy, 30 seconds, do a backflip
  9. R h e w i n, 5-7 minutes, regenerate
  10. BrandonBoss: 10 minutes, have a two way conversation with something that doesn't talk in waking (doesn't have to be out loud)
  11. Yev, 1 minute, get some useful advice from a DC
  12. Lumessence: --, ask someone about D17.
  13. demented: 2mins, visit ancient greece.
  14. mr_Block, 30 seconds, use a functioning teleporter
  15. Oleg: 1-2 minutes, enter a physical fight.

Oleg wrote:

By the way, I'm curious... am I the only one who thinks the importance of 'length' is considerably overplayed? Methinks the quality of recall, clarity and coherent thought within is much more important. In fact, I had a 15 second LD once, and it was far more interesting because it didn't feel so... false and betraying.

But whatever. I'll just go with it, albeit slightly irked.

I'm not really sure, where you think that duration overclouds other aspects of a LD.
This has a lot to do with recall, details, and control. But naturally, any increase in length is a universal benefit.

All of this is to encourage LD improvement, and length is no exception.

It is based on personal length only. Not relative to others. Someone may have an ld that lasts 30 minutes, and you yourself could still get more points than them, for having a 2 minute LD.

Current LD goal(s): Slow the Rain...
demented
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 0

all i remember than i woke up and told myself to remember that i became lucid for like 20 seconds and rode.

Current LD goal(s): Get a decent LD
james_uk2008
Resident Shapeshifter
LD4all addict
james_uk2008 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 389

Had a short LD here which was probably no more than 1 minute long. I remembered the LC as well as our current group incubation and was able to briefly summon Thorn.

Oleg
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

It doesn't seem as if I was lucid tonight. In the evening, I took a shower to relax myself and then made a feeble attempt at meditation, but my mind was restless and wandered. Heck, this entry is pointless, considering there was zero lucidity involved. Nevertheless, I feel the need to update daily.

As a note of warning, I put down my unabridged, full entry.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Edit: I was amazed at how I managed to get roughly 2,000 words, but then I realized that I accidentally copied it twice. Whoops.

And now that's done...

Quote:
I'm not really sure, where you think that duration overclouds other aspects of a LD.
This has a lot to do with recall, details, and control. But naturally, any increase in length is a universal benefit.

All of this is to encourage LD improvement, and length is no exception.

It is based on personal length only. Not relative to others. Someone may have an ld that lasts 30 minutes, and you yourself could still get more points than them, for having a 2 minute LD.

I mainly base my statement on the fact that I had some ridiculously long dreams that, by definition, were lucid dreams. However, they were dumb and incomprehensible to my waking self. The dreams felt false and empty, and I don't see it any better than any old regular dream. I did not feel I was myself. On the other hand, I had some short dreams, and I felt so much more in control of myself.

The latter's what I want - I want to wake up from a dream, and feel as if I'm the same person I was in the dream. Not watching some idiot run around and do shit that I already told myself I wouldn't do.

I'm aware my reasoning is a bit off, but... well yeah, that's the general gist of things. I just don't consider the concept of time important. There's nothing more to it. And if I did, then it would be something that would come later, after I mastered whatever it is I talked above.

But pay me no heed, you can have your fun. :3

Edit: ... .. .... ... .. .... . .. . . . .

And now I just realized that the task is to 'ride'. Thanks, subconsciousness. I change my mind. You ain't a piece of crap. :>

...unless, of course, it doesn't count because I was not lucid. Either way, I found it interesting nonetheless. ^^

Lumessence
Transcendent
Astral Explorer

Well.. Someone burnt a pizza, so I was going to get after them for it. They took off, and when I tried to follow, as soon as I left the house, a timer appeared in the bottom right, counting down from 2 minutes.. So I used the pizza as a type of hover-board, and chased them through a course through town, throwing ice balls at him to try to freeze him in place.

Oleg wrote:
It doesn't seem as if I was lucid tonight. In the evening, I took a shower to relax myself and then made a feeble attempt at meditation, but my mind was restless and wandered. Heck, this entry is pointless, considering there was zero lucidity involved. Nevertheless, I feel the need to update daily.

The dream journal isn't only to record lucid dreams. It's there to enhance recall, which can be a factor in the triggering and efficiency of Lucid dreaming. Therefore, you should write in the journal regardless of whether it was lucid, normal, or complete random gibberish. ^^ No entry is pointless.

Also.. Time is a form of maintaining the lucid dream. And if nothing else, it allows you more time to accomplish something, or take things in.

HeadInTheClouds
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
HeadInTheClouds has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: a lot

I rode in a plane last night, as well as a taxi in the same ND. I feel like I had a dream at some point that involved me being chased, but I can't remember it sadblauw .

As far as the above conversation is going, both quality and length of lucid dreams are important. For the LC, the main goal is to get lucid more often, regardless of quality. The other main goal is to complete the tasks, which indirectly measure the quality of a lucid dream, as they require a good amount of dream control. While quality is very important, it is easier to compare relative lengths of lucid dreams for a competition. Thus, one could focus more on the quality of their lucid dreams, but just like length, both improve over time. The longer you can maintain your lucidity, the more likely you will be able to improve the quality of each lucid dream. The higher the quality of your lucid dream does not always translate to learning how to sustain lucidity for a longer period, as I've found both take lots of practice; therefore, lots of short dreams make it harder to practice and learn versus not as high quality longer dreams where you can practice and learn better. I get where you're coming from, and I think that a person could get away with emphasizing either; we simply choose to emphasize length.

These are just my opinions; others may disagree.

Current LD goal(s): Have a LD every night; Have longer and more vivid dreams
Lumessence
Transcendent
Astral Explorer

HeadInTheClouds wrote:

These are just my opinions; others may disagree.

I absolutely agree. Your explanation was better than mine. ^^

Oleg
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

@HeadInTheClouds:

Hey, thanks! For your input, that is. It makes sense. Nevertheless, I've decided to just keep quiet about it for now, never mind what I think myself. tounge1

the person right above me wrote:
The dream journal isn't only to record lucid dreams. It's there to enhance recall, which can be a factor in the triggering and efficiency of Lucid dreaming. Therefore, you should write in the journal regardless of whether it was lucid, normal, or complete random gibberish. ^^ No entry is pointless.

Well, no. I don't think the entry itself is pointless. I'm too savvy with the concept of lucid dreams and recall and what-not. What I meant was that I didn't think the dream itself would contribute to the LC, and as such, shouldn't be posted in the LC thread.

That is, until I realized I spent 60% of the dream in a car... I sort of didn't catch onto that until quite a while later. xD

Thorn
Another LD4all Dragon
cookie lover
Thorn has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 403

I had a brief moment of lucidity in the first LD here and had a long LD for the second LD, which finished the monthly quest for the sixth time this month and also had an ND part that involved riding two sedans (already claimed previously), a turbine, and a freefalling Tetris block. I attempted the task lucidly but misremembered it.

Current LD goal(s): Get back into good LDing habits
Wyvern
Do a Rawr-C!
cookie lover
Wyvern has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: Nightly

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014  Reply with quote

@Rhewin: Congrats on being the first one to complete the task.

@Mew151: No, unfortunately only tasks completed in dreams will count for this LC. Congrats on getting up on the boards though! :D

@HeadInTheClouds: That "new technique" sounds like a fancy version of autosuggestion, actually. tounge2 Also, a taxi is just a fancy car, really (and an SUV counts as a car in my book). I did count the go-kart though since it seemed different enough.

@Lumessence: I won't count the horse one as a chase as I consider a chase someone/something trying to escape the other, but the pizza hoverboard chase certainly counts. Also, were your entries lucid dreams? I know you get lucid quite often. If they are, I need the lengths to correct the scores. In any case, riding a pizza is certainly creative, so I'll give you points for that! smile

@Scipio:

@demented: I'll give you the riding points, but I kinda need to know what you rode if you wanna claim any additional points later on for riding things.

@James: Close on that shapeshifting attempt but no cigar. smile

@Oleg: Yeah, I read through your dream anyway just in case you might have been in a car and not realized it before I saw that you noticed it in the edit.

@Thorn: So close, but no lucid task points yet.

Here are the scores so far. Please let me know if you feel there is an error somewhere. Wyverns are close to but not perfect!

1. Mew151: 60
  2. Thorn: 205
  3. ZRVera: 0
  4. ian1: 0
  5. Scipio Xaos: 20
  6. HeadInTheClouds: 155
  7. James_UK2008: 75
  8. muccy: 0
  9. Rhewin: 140
  10. BrandonBoss: 140
  11. Yev: 0
  12. Lumessence: 105