LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Shadow Dreamer - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth - winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 - TM: Ysim - winner: Koharo
LC 36 - TM: Rhewin - winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 - TM: Scipio Xaos - winner: Thorn
LC 39 - TM: Thorn - winner: Koharo
LC 40 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Wyvern
LC 41 - TM: Wyvern - winner: Thorn
LC 42 - TM: Thorn - winner: Wyvern
LC 43 - TM: Rhewin - winner: drd

Introduction

Welp, here I am again. I didn’t win the last LC, but I’m the highest-placing competitor from it that cares to host, so allow me to welcome you to Lucidity Challenge 44!

The purpose of the LC in its current form is to serve as a motivator for good lucid dream practices, to create an atmosphere of both competition and cooperation, to create a challenge for lucid dreamers of all levels, and to provide fun to all participants. I hope that everybody gets to experience all of these while participating!

Challenge Structure

The LC will consist of five lucid dreaming tasks that are each posted seven days after the previous one. Each task will be broken into many subtasks that are each worth points, and each participant will attempt to accrue as many points as possible via finishing the subtasks in lucid dreams and normal dreams, having long lucid dreams, cooperating with teammates, and other means. At the end of the 35 days, the participant with the most points wins! He or she can host the next LC if he or she chooses; if not, hosting rights go to second place, and so on and so forth until a host is found.

Scoring (placed in a spoiler for length) (minor changes from LC 43)

[spoiler]The scoring system includes a high amount of subjectivity and many ways of earning points. This means that each participant can challenge himself or herself appropriately by choosing which points to attempt to earn and by reflecting differently upon his or her own lucid dreams from the past when making length and personal goal decisions. Points will be awarded as follows; I’m being verbose for the sake of covering exceptions to rules, so it’s less complicated than it looks!* Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods[list][*]You get 5 points if you wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid.

• You get 20, 30, 40, or 50 points for a lucid dream you would consider short, medium-length, long, or your longest ever (respectively) based on lucid dreams you have had in the past. If you are entering the LC without any past lucid dreams, note that you will get 75 points for your first lucid dream and that your length scale from your second lucid dream onward will be Short ≤ 1 minute < Medium-length ≤ 5 minutes < Long < Longest.
  • You get 50 points for becoming lucid through an induction method for the first time ever as long as the dream is not your first lucid dream ever. Note that I reserve the right to declare slight variants on methods as “not new” if nothing substantial is introduced.
    [/:m][]Actions Within Dreams (see the Teams section for details on team-based points)* You get the listed amount of points for completing a generic subtask or a subtask designed for your team.
  • You get half of the listed amount of points for completing a subtask designed for teams other than yours.
  • You get 30 “Lucid” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while lucid. Completing a second subtask for a task for which you already have this bonus will not award a second bonus.
  • You get 20 “Early” or “Combo” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while it is part of the most recent task or for completing a subtask alongside a subtask from another task, respectively. You can earn only one of these two 20 point bonuses per task.
  • You get 40 points for completing a Team Dream individually and another 40 points for doing it with a member of its designing team, each applicable once per task. Extra points beyond 40 may be offered in some situations. This is changed from previous LCs, where team-designed tasks could only be completed with a member of the designing team and thus were rarely done.
  • You get 75 points for completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid, applicable exactly once per Quest. Note that it does not always update monthly despite the name, but I have no control over this; please don’t direct complaints to me! If you complete the Quest active at the start of the LC before the start, you may “complete” it while lucid during the LC while it is still the most recent Quest to earn the 75 points.
  • You get 100 points for completing a personal goal that you set in your sign-up post (see Sign-Ups for more information) while lucid, and 25 points for completing a second personal goal that you may pick after completing the first one while lucid. You may not change this goal before completing it once the LC starts, so choose wisely.
  • You may get up to 10 points for being creative within your lucid dreams. These are subjective on my part and are thus worth little to keep the LC fair but to encourage doing more than going through the motions in your lucid dreams. I reserve the right to issue a tiebreaker even if there is not a tie if I feel that the winner won only on these subjective creativity points.
    [/*:m][/list:u]Note that the points given in past LCs for lucidity loss/regaining and for DEILDing into a prior LD have been removed. In the past, these served as a point of confusion and also created point differences between people with unstable dreams who could re-enter them and people who could stabilize from within the dream itself. Removing the points removes the confusion and awards re-entering/stabilizing an LD only as it should be rewarded: the dream length is longer, making it worth more points and giving more time to complete tasks. Note that dreams connected via DEILD are counted as one dream.

When you claim points, please be sure to state the length of any lucid dreams you are claiming, which actions you are claiming for points, and which actions were done non-lucidly and lucidly. I highly suggest linking your dream journal or describing relevant parts, as this allows me to judge your point claims accurately, award creativity points if applicable, or find points that you may not have known you could claim.

You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but I am the official scorekeeper. If you feel I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct my scoring. We are here to have fun, so if you and I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene in public. While it sounds childish to say it, it’s been a longtime LC rule: if you don’t like how the TM awards points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules! :tongue:[/spoiler]
Teams (minor changes from LC 43)

The idea of group work started as a behind-the-scenes activity during LC 37, was introduced into the LC proper in LC 39, was revised again for LCs 40 and 41, and reached its current form in LC 42. The teams give you a chance to personalize your LC experience.

A new LC means new teams. The LC’s theme this time will be video games, but will not require much gaming knowledge at all; the LC will largely play off of popular gaming stereotypes and popular franchises. What’s more important than gaming knowledge is the observation that both LDs and video games serve as a break from reality and serve to give us some control over a world besides our own. When choosing your team, ask yourself, “Why do I want to have lucid dreams?” or, “Why do I play video games?”* If you want to immerse yourself into a world other than your own, the Explorer team is for you. This team is not only about where you go, but also about how you interact with your dream world. A video game has a particular set of mechanics you can use to make a character interact with the environment, and this team will explore both the mechanics of its own dream world and the mechanics of the game franchises used in the LC tasks.

• If you want to feel important, consider joining the Hero team. Heroes can be people who save the entire world or save only one person, and can be the people who prevent a crime or who score the game-winning goal at the buzzer. This team is about becoming that important person, and this involves both performing the right actions and looking the part; a hero’s gotta have a distinctive wardrobe.
  • If you want to be more than yourself, then you’re a man or woman after my own heart and the Power team is where you belong. Reality is too constraining sometimes, and lucid dreams and video games provide a way to pretend you’re something more than normal. This can mean you’re an otherwise normal person with an unusual ability or great strength, or it can mean you’re something greater than human.
    You can choose your team based on your skills, based on what you want to improve, based on what you’ve never tried, or whatever metric you desire; you get to decide your LC experience! Remember that you will get full credit for your team’s subtasks and for generic subtasks but will only get half credit for subtasks belonging to other teams, and remember that you can’t change your team later, although I may make exceptions to this if participants start disappearing and teams become weighed down by inactive members.

Once the need arises, teams will each get their own collaborative workspace to design Team Dreams, which are worth points just as a team’s subtasks would be. Team Dreams require participants to come up with a way to fit a given condition in a dream that the team as a whole agrees to. Each team will get 48 hours after relevant tasks are posted to design a dream in its workspace. Unlike previous LCs, Team Dreams will only need to be designed twice; this change was made considering the air of frustration witnessed on overly large teams after several Team Dreams were designed and considering the high interest but low completion rate. Team Dreams will also now create two 40-point subtasks each: one for completing the condition solo and one for completing it alongside a DC of a member of the designing team. This allows participants to attempt Team Dreams even if they have poor DC summoning skills.

Sign-Ups

The LC will start after we have at least 10 participants, but will not start sooner than August 9, as I believe the participants of the previous LC that also want to participate in this one would like a short LC hiatus.

When signing up, please quote the sign-up list from the most recent post containing it and add your entry to the bottom of the list. Your sign up should include your username your desired team, and your personal goal worth 100 points when completed. After the list, you should (but are not required to) say a bit about your motivations for lucid dreaming and your dream desires; if you want Team Dreams to fit your desires and motivations, then you need to be clear about what those are!

Here are our current sign-ups:

Sign-up List [Name - Team - Personal Goal]

1. squoak - Explorer - Teleport somewhere unfamiliar to me
  2. James_UK2008 - Power - Shapeshift into the Arbiter
  3. Letaali - Explorer - Reach the frozen planet
  4. Mew151 - Explorer - Play DDR Dream Mix
  5. WasPeace - Explorer - Teleport somewhere unfamiliar to me
  6. Scipio Xaos - Explorer - Fly to SPACE!
  7. Rhewin :tardis: - Hero - Regenerate
  8. Obfusc8 - Power - Meet the Sandman
  9. En’enra - Hero - Have a turn-based battle
  10. Oleg - Explorer - Be able to honestly say, “The dream lasted a while and I wasn’t an idiot whatsoever! :happy:
  11. drd - Power - Visit the Academy
  12. Yev - Hero - Speak to an animal
  13. Susan_Y - Explorer - Visit the halls of the underworld
  14. Hodge_Podge - Power - Materalize objects on demand!

Current Scores

The current scores and task information can be found here.

Tasks1. Achievement Unlocked!

1. The Legend of Zelda
  2. Mario
  3. Sonic the Hedegehog
  4. Redux

One last note: I will read anything you want me to read. Feel free to post dreams here or in your DJ. However, I will have a lot to read. I will only read your DJ posts if you link them here. Also, if you do link a DJ post, please also summarize what you did for the LC in words. Not giving a summary or giving task numbers or part numbers that require me to check things only serves to slow down scoring, which is not what anybody wants.

As I said in my previous LC,

[center]May the best dreamer win!

[/center]

Edit: As Thorn said I should, I’ll add some information about my motivation for lucid dreaming and my goals. I chose Explorer because of the first line in it’s description. I have been immersing myself in fantasy worlds my whole life. I have also found it interesting how I have a specific way of doing things in a dream. This fits the team’s goal of exploring how to interact with the dream world. It’s mostly about what you can believe to be possible, but finding those things is a fun task in itself. I also have yet to find a way to the frozen planet that’s my personal goal, so I’ll be working on that if the tasks won’t distract me too much.

Alright, so my personal goal is the same as last time. I felt like I could have achieved the goal if I didn’t get distracted from LD’ing about halfway through the previous LC. Again, there’s more to the goal than just playing a Dance Dance Revolution game. I have specific details in mind for this goal and I won’t consider it complete until I can do it right.

I’ve chosen the explorer team because I love the concept of exploring and simply interacting with the dream world. It sounds fun! It looks like the Explorer team is already pretty popular (though it’s really too soon to actually judge), and if it becomes too big I might want to switch to another team just to give the teams a bit more balance. But exploration is cool.

1 - squoak - Explorer - Teleport somewhere unfamiliar to me
2-James_UK2008 - Power - Shapeshift into the Arbiter
3- Letaali - Explorer - Reach the frozen planet
4- Mew151 - Explorer - Play DDR Dream Mix
5- WasPeace - Explorer - Teleport somewhere unfamiliar to me

So… yea… I chose the Explorer team based on my responses to Thorn’s two questions: the main reason I want to LD is to live, for at least a moment, in fantasy worlds. My biggest influence for this goal would have to be the famous WritersCube DJ. :tongue: As to the other question, the reason I play video games is to get lost in another world, also for at least a moment… so the Explorer team is perfect for me.

Like Mew, though, if it looks like things become too cramped on the Explorer team I might switch to the close second (practically a tie) choice of the Power team… But also like Mew said it’s too early to tell for sure. :wink:

Additionally, I fixed the list. :tongue:

I fixed the list to be even better! I almost went with power, but then I realized I could be the only person on a team :happy:. That, and I usually end up being the hero in my dreams anyway.

My first instinct was to go Explorer too, but that team seems really popular… And I’m no Hero… Anti-hero maybe :ebil: So I’ve gone for Power, hoping to learn some new dream control techniques and ideas.

My goal is to find and speak with the Lord of Dreams himself, from Neil Gaiman’s Sandman comics.

I was thinking about not participating in this one because I’ll have a lot of obligations in the next couple of months, but nevermind. I love the theme of the challenge! :happy:

Hey Thorn. See you’re the task master again… :tongue:

10. Oleg - Explorer - Be able to honestly say, “The dream lasted a while and I wasn’t an idiot whatsoever! :happy:

Last night, I had a dream where there was a wonderful sense of joy. Then I woke up, and I realized I’ve been lied to. That sucked. Anyhow, my personal task is a bit ‘out there’, so I’m not sure it’ll be applicable. Oh wells.

Okay, we’ve got 10 people, even if the teams are weighted pretty unevenly. :tongue: As I said before, I will start on Saturday so that people have at a week off after the previous LC. If you’re not involved yet, know that more sign-ups are allowed!

Score! Got En’enra! Obfusc8, I almost hope we get a Hero vs Power task in there… after watching you in the last LC, I would love an epic battle XD

Sure! I’ll practice my super-villain voice in preparation. I must warn you though, I have the ultimate power of [color=red]mind bullets[/color]! :devil:

12. Yev - Hero - Speak to an animal

I’m going to try the LC again. A different personal goal than before, and the team isn’t what I’d usually do, either, but I want to try something different. :smile:

Before we start Task 1, it bears mentioning that even with a video game theme running throughout the LC, you should not feel as if you must perform a subtask as it would be done in any particular video game unless otherwise stated. You are of course welcome to do so, but not required; the tasks are not meant to be esoteric, so your own interpretation will be just fine!

Task 1: Achievement Unlocked!

Most LC participants predicted that I was going to theme each task after a specific game or franchise. For the most part, they’re right, but I wanted to do something different for the first task. After all, with only two Team Dreams this time around, there needs to be another team activity to keep you guys occupied, right?

This link contains not only the scoreboard, but tabs at the bottom where I’ll post a copy of each task so that you have one place to go for any information about the LC. If you have issues viewing this, please tell me ASAP. If you click the Task 1 tab, you’ll see a grid with sections for all three teams, a few squares with subtasks and the games/genres that inspired them, and point values attached to each row. While every other task in this LC will be formatted as it was in the past two LCs, Task 1 will use this grid to inspire some teamwork and to play with some game mechanics; namely, we’ll use the ideas of non-linear progression and unlockable content.

Whenever you do a subtask on the grid, you’ll get points based on the row it was in and will get that amount halved if it’s not colored for your team. This will also fill in the subtasks for all adjacent cells for every LC participant to see, with Pac-Man rules applying to the left and right sides (i.e., do a subtask on the far right side, and a subtask on the far left will be revealed, and vice versa). The game themes listed are just what inspired each subtask and needn’t influence how you approach the subtasks. The number of subtasks your team has revealed from the start and their values is based on the size of your team; bigger teams can theoretically move faster, so the smaller teams get a slight head start. The trick is to work with your team to reveal as many subtasks for your team as possible so that you’re earning maximum points! Perhaps this means you delegate who tries what, or perhaps it just means you motivate your teammates to keep them invested in the LC.

It’s also worth noting that if anybody happens to finish an unrevealed subtask by sheer coincidence and posts the dream in this topic, I’ll credit it and perform the necessary reveals, so be sure to type out your dreams if they fit a team theme because you may get lucky! On the flip side, if a subtask is revealed after you’ve done it and you previously chose not to post a dream containing it, I won’t accept it late; this would trivialize the strategy behind point claims because participants would simply avoid revealing any other team’s subtasks!

You can click a cell on the worksheet and then click the small speech bubble to its upper-right to see who has completed a subtask; the bubble will not be there if a task has not been completed by anybody. As with the previous LC, the team leading in current subtasks done per member at the end of each week will get a bonus subtask for the next task. While you won’t be deciding the details on your own as was done in the previous LC, it’s still extra points for your team, so dream to win!

Subtasks revealed so far:* Eat dream food that does not exist in reality20 points

• Swim underwater20 points
  • Find a map of your dreamscape20 points
  • Speak with a non-anthropomorphic, “real” animal30 points
  • Enter a television or monitor30 points
  • Fly between skyscrapers30 points
  • Enter a portal30 points
  • Ride and jump (ollie) on a skateboard30 points
  • Ride a mine cart30 points
  • Reorient your personal gravity40 points
  • Shrink and explore without transforming any further40 points
  • Become a giant as you leave a town40 points
  • Reach the Earth’s core40 points
  • Catch a Pokémon40 points
  • Enter the LC host’s dream or mindspace (2)40 points
  • Find an ancient artifact20 points
  • Charitably give money to a DC20 points
  • Dress as a soldier20 points
  • Score the game-winning point(s)30 points
  • Learn proper weapon use or karate from a DC30 points
  • Buy a potion from a shop, then test its effect30 points
  • Enter your secret superhero base/lair30 points
  • Wear a utility belt and use a gadget from it30 points
  • Attend an event held in your honor30 points
  • Fight a villain with the LC host40 points
  • Acquire a loyal, powerful, undomesticated pet40 points
  • Stop a threat from space (aliens, meteorite, etc.)40 points
  • Save a princess or damsel in distress40 points
  • Pilot a mech from within it40 points
  • Stop a robbery40 points
  • Become invisible20 points
  • Breathe fire20 points
  • Use psychokinesis20 points
  • Become muscular30 points
  • Manipulate or produce electricity via willpower30 points
  • Sprout wings without transforming any further30 points
  • Usurp a king/ruler and take charge30 points
  • Take and use a powerful DC’s ability/form (1)30 points
  • Grow and use a prehensile limb (arm, tail, etc.)30 points
  • Without transforming, cause an earthquake40 points
  • Transform an appendage into a weapon40 points
  • Have the LC host give a power/transformation (1)40 points
  • Shrink a DC and play with him/her40 points
  • Outgrow Earth40 points
  • Learn and use “dark” magic40 points
    (1) This power or transformation cannot complete another LC subtask by its sheer existence, although it may aid another subtask’s completion.
    (2) You can enter through a door, simply teleport there, physically climb into the host’s head, or whatever you like; the subtask is NOT implying a need to attempt shared dreaming.

If you cannot access the task grid on your mobile device, I will keep a picture copy here.

Had a long ld just now. no tasks completed

edit:
I created a sword using summoning skills, and transformation, and I lifted a car with my hands.

I guess I should be fishing for subtasks that are not revealed:
-I drove a massive truck
-I had a dog
-I jumped from night to day and teleported to a car.
-I was a character in a crime puzzle game, I was chained, had to rescue my son and leave the building without getting caught.
-I saw a point-and-click screen with cool animation. There were potions on the street next to a body.

• I had to restart the level twice.
  • I had to manage hp, hunger and suspicion.
  • I found a way to cheat the system and left through the roof before saving my son. This made the game jump to the next chapter and my boy automatically teleported there anyway.

Edit: Here are the dreams

Is ‘psychokinesis’ just an umbrella term to the powers in the game in general? I thought it was something specific, so I looked it up. However, my search didn’t lead to anything. Would it also include the powers only enemies have, because in lore, their powers also come from this meteor? I’m going back to sleep assuming it is, then…

Edit: Woke up again - here’s the whole gist of tonight. A short LD, as well as a completed task.

I would be happier if I wasn’t aching all over. I think I slept in a bad position, and that may have affected the quality substantially.

Also, I could list stuff that could have been potentially hidden tasks, but not much happened tonight, anyway. I’ll definitely do it if I get any long dreams, though.

Oh wells. Everyone good luck, again. :tongue: