Lucidity Challenge 46—Winner: obfusc8!

Important changes to the rules from the previous LC will be orange.

Previous Challenges

LC I - TM and initiator: Ian1 - winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC II - TM: Magnus - winner: Q
LC III - TM: Q - winner: Bravsein
LC IV - TM: Bravsein - winner: WritersCube
LC V - TM: WritersCube - winner: dimsya
LC VI - TM: dimsya - winner: Queen SD
LC VII - TM: Ysim - winner: Mugiwara
LC VIII - TM: Mugiwara - winner: Ysim
LC IX - TM: Ysim - winner: Tundra
LC X -TM: Tundra - winner: ebilshrimp
LC 11 - TM: ebilshrimp - winner: Tundra
LC 12 - TM: HebrewB - winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Shadow Dreamer - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth - winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 - TM: Ysim - winner: Koharo
LC 36 - TM: Rhewin - winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 - TM: Scipio Xaos - winner: Thorn
LC 39 - TM: Thorn - winner: Koharo
LC 40 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Wyvern
LC 41 - TM: Wyvern - winner: Thorn
LC 42 - TM: Thorn - winner: Wyvern
LC 43 - TM: Rhewin - winner: drd
LC 44 - TM: Thorn - winner: drd
LC 45 - TM: obfusc8 - winner: Thorn

Introduction

It’s that time again… welcome to Lucidity Challenge 46!

The purpose of the Lucidity Challenge (LC) in its current form is to serve as a motivator for good lucid dream practices, to create an atmosphere of both competition and cooperation, to create a challenge for lucid dreamers of all levels, and to provide fun to all participants. We hope that everybody gets to experience all of these while participating!

Yes, that’s right; we hope. I, Thorn, have hosted too many of these things lately, and some circumstances that occurred near the end of the last LC meant that Scipio, who finished in third place, likely didn’t get a fair chance to compete in the eleventh hour. Therefore, the top three finishers from the last LC—Thorn, drd, and Scipio Xaos—are all contributing to this one!

Challenge Structure

The LC will consist of three lucid dreaming tasks that are each posted seven days after the previous one as well as a single long task. Each task will be broken into many subtasks that are each worth points, and each participant will attempt to accrue as many points as possible via finishing the subtasks in lucid dreams and normal dreams, having long lucid dreams, cooperating with teammates, and other means. When all three week-long tasks have run and the extended task is finished by at least one competitor (or if too much time passes), the LC will end and the participant with the most points wins! He or she can host the next LC if he or she chooses; if not, hosting rights go to second place, and so on and so forth until a host is found.

Scoring

For the most part, you’ll see the points awarded for your actions right on the scoreboard. For those of you who want the fine details, open up this length-controlling spoiler.

SPOILER - Click to view

The scoring system includes a high amount of subjectivity and many ways of earning points. This means that each participant can challenge himself or herself appropriately by choosing which points to attempt to earn and by reflecting differently upon his or her own lucid dreams from the past when making dream length and personal goal decisions. Points will be awarded as follows; this is lengthy for the sake of covering exceptions to rules, so it’s less complicated than it looks!* Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods[list][*]You get 5 points if you wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid.

• You get 20, 30, 40, or 50 points for a lucid dream you would consider short, medium-length, long, or your longest ever (respectively) based on lucid dreams you have had in the past. If you are entering the LC without any past lucid dreams, note that you will get 75 points for your first lucid dream and that your length scale from your second lucid dream onward will be Short ≤ 1 minute < Medium-length ≤ 5 minutes < Long < Longest.
  • You get 50 points for becoming lucid through an induction method for the first time ever as long as the dream is not your first lucid dream ever. Note that we reserve the right to declare slight variants on methods as “not new” if nothing substantial is introduced.
    [/:m][]Actions Within Dreams (see the Teams section for details on team-based points)* You get the listed amount of points for completing a generic subtask or a subtask designed for your team.
  • You get half of the listed amount of points for completing a subtask designed for teams other than yours.
  • You get 30 “Lucid” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while lucid. Completing a second subtask for a task for which you already have this bonus will not award a second bonus.
  • You get 20 “Early” or “Combo” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask within a week of it being introduced or for completing a subtask alongside a subtask from another task, respectively. You can earn only one of these two 20 point bonuses per task.
  • You get 40 points for completing a Team Dream individually and another 40 points for doing it with a member of its designing team, each applicable once per task. Extra points beyond 40 may be offered in some situations.
  • You get 75 points for completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid, applicable exactly once per Quest. If you complete the Quest active at the start of the LC before the start, you may “complete” it while lucid during the LC while it is still the most recent Quest to earn the 75 points.
  • You get 100 points for completing a personal goal that you set in your sign-up post (see Sign-Ups for more information) while lucid, and 25 points for completing a second personal goal that you may pick after completing the first one while lucid. You may not change this goal before completing it once the LC starts, so choose wisely.
  • You may get up to 10 points for being creative within your lucid dreams. These are subjective on the part of the hosts and are thus worth little to keep the LC fair but to encourage doing more than going through the motions in your lucid dreams. We reserve the right to issue a tiebreaker even if there is not a tie if we feel that the winner won only on these subjective creativity points.
    [/*:m][/list:u]

When you claim points, please be sure to state the length of any lucid dreams you are claiming, which actions you are claiming for points, and which actions were done non-lucidly and lucidly. We highly suggest linking your dream journal or describing relevant parts, as this allows us to judge your point claims accurately, award creativity points if applicable, or find points that you may not have known you could claim.

You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but we are the official scorekeepers. If you feel we made an error in points, please PM us immediately and we will either explain or correct the scoring. The participants and the hosts are here to have fun, so if we disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene in public. While it sounds childish to say it, it’s been a longtime LC rule: if you don’t like how the hosts award points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules! :tongue:

Teams

The idea of group work started as a behind-the-scenes activity during LC 37, was introduced into the LC proper in LC 39, was revised again for LCs 40 and 41, and reached its current form in LC 42. The teams give you a chance to personalize your LC experience by focusing on certain dream themes and receiving more points for matching subtasks.

The LC usually has three teams, and we now have three hosts. The only plausible course of action is for each of us to head a team and duke it out!* Join Team drd if you’re keen on conjuration, willpower control, and overpowering anything in the dream. drd’s mission statement:
“Drd is all about using powers. He prefers to do things “The drd way” using his own willpower. If he can’t figure out how to do something, he will create a new power to do the job for him. He may even grant you a power or two. If you like to use your willpower to make things happen, or you just want to have a good time, then Team drd is the way to go. Make the right decision and choose to join Team drd today!”

Once the need arises, teams will each get their own collaborative workspace to design Team Dreams, which are worth points just as a team’s subtasks would be. Team Dreams require participants to come up with a way to fit a given condition in a dream that the team as a whole agrees to. Each team will get 48 hours after relevant tasks are posted to design a dream in its workspace. Team Dreams will create two 40-point subtasks each: one for completing the condition solo and one for completing it alongside a DC of a member of the designing team. These are worth big points, so be sure to contribute!

The best team each week, as measured by most recent task completions divided by number of team members, will receive a small reward to help it further. Be sure to motivate your teammates so that everybody has lucid dreams!

You’ll also occasionally have subtasks involving getting assistance from your team’s host or facing him in a friendly competition. The hosts are out to help both in dreams and in waking life, so don’t hesitate to ask for dreaming advice! We’re always in the chat room or available for forum PMs!

Sign-Ups

The LC will start after we have at least 10 participants.

When signing up, please quote the sign-up list from the most recent post containing it and add your entry to the bottom of the list. Your sign up should include your username, your desired team, and your personal goal worth 100 points when completed. After the list, you should (but are not required to) say a bit about your motivations for lucid dreaming and your dream desires; if you want Team Dreams to fit your desires and motivations or if you want like-minded teammates, then you need to be clear about what those desires are!

Here are our current sign-ups:

LC 46 Signups (Name - Team - Personal Goal)

1. Oleg - DRD’s Team - Travel to a different planet.
  2. James_UK2008 - Thorn’s Team - Transform myself into Lizardman
  3. Mew151 - TEAM SCIPIO - Play DDR Dream Mix
  4. eMander - Team Thorn - Bring an inanimate object to life.
  5. stari_maga- Team DRD- cover an object in frost
  6. Obfusc8 - Team Thorn - Street race in Tokyo
  7. En’enra - Team Scipio - Explore Castle Never
  8. LDbc12 - Team Scipio - explore the ocean
  9. Susan_Y - Team Thorn - shapeshift
  10. Letaali - Team Scipio - Move with willpower (explanation)
    Current Scores

Scores can be found here.

Tasks

1. Fly! and Extended Task
  2. Party!
  3. Magic and Technology!
  4. Acting Juvenile!

One last note: We will read any dream journal entries you want us to read. Feel free to post dreams here or in your DJ. However, we will have a lot to read, so we will only read your DJ posts if you link them here. Also, if you do link a DJ post, please also summarize what you did for the LC in words. Not giving a summary or giving task numbers or part numbers that require us to check things only serves to slow down scoring, which is not what anybody wants.

Best of luck to everyone! Dream hard!

Edit: …Wait, I was kind of hasty with this. Did I miss anything…? No, don’t think so… >.>

1: Oleg - DRD’s Team - Travel to a different planet.
2: James_UK2008 - Thorn’s Team - Transform myself into Lizardman.

Beautified the signup list!

So, my goals for this LC are to be lucid! Specifically, get lucid and manage to stabilize and control my dreams! Also I will continue to have my long-running goal of playing Dance Dance Revolution in a dream. It’s a very important goal to me and I really feel like I need to complete this goal. So yeah. HYYYPE!

4. eMander (formerly ian1) - Team Thorn - Bring an inanimate object to life.

4. ian1 - Team Thorn - Bring an inanimate object to life.
  5. stari_maga- Team DRD- cover an object in frost

I’m pretty excited!

5. stari_maga- Team DRD- fly with wings

So… I enjoy (abusing) powers and using tech gadgets, but there’s a stack of transformations on my list of goals. I’m hoping the Team Thorn tasks will allow scope for experimentation. That list includes shrinking/growing/ transforming into various animals and mythical beasts.

Since I have a habit of saving my more complex personal goals for the lucid challenges, this time it’s gonna be a street race in Tokyo. There has to be a competitive element i.e. someone to race against, and it has to be Tokyo. Vehicle wise, whatever whim takes me when I get there - motorbike, sports car, or maybe I’ll transform into a motorbike… now there’s an idea. :cool:

I skipped one LC, but I think I’m ready to join this one. The concept seems like a lot of fun, so I’m looking forward to participating. The previous LCs helped me with learning about lucid dreaming a lot, because they give me something to focus on while dreaming, and also serve as a motivation to write dreams down (and I do need that, since I’m lazy and I lost the habit of writing a dj).

Since I dream about Neverwinter a lot and I love Castle Never, for my personal goal I’d like to visit any part od the castle, but ideally it would be Neverneath.

And since you can’t have a great RPG experience without good equipment and reliable spells, I chose team Scipio.

Aaaaand… I’m back! After four LC’s… been pretty much inactive… for a long time… Edit: oh right I do my DJ everyday/week… but inactive everywhere else
My LD rate has recently been low, so what better than an LC for new motivation and fresh excitement!

10. Letaali - Team Scipio - Move with willpower

Getting lucid during all the stress got my motivation up. Maybe I can join the LC even though I have a lot of stuff going on in waking life? Yes. Here I am.

Okay, we have ten sign-ups! I checked with the other hosts, and Friday seems like the best day for us to start.

Susan_Y, if you don’t mind me saying so, joining a team with shapeshifting in the description and then making your personal goal “shapeshift” seems to give you a slightly unfair advantage. I offer three choices for this situation; you can change the goal to a specific shapeshift, you can change the goal to something else entirely, or you can leave it and know that your first shapeshift will not also earn you points for any shapeshifting subtasks. Do as you will, and if I get no response, I’ll default to the last option.

In any case, we’re starting soon! As Mew151 would say, “HYPE!”

Sorry Thorn, I couldn’t think of a good personal goal this time round. How about I leave the personal goal blank? (So no extra points for me for personal goal).

^ That’s silly, though. :smile: You said you wanted to shapeshift, so surely when you imagine completing that goal, you imagine yourself in a particular shape. What’s that shape? As I said before, if you give me a specific shape, it’s perfectly fine, as you would have no way of knowing whether or not the LC has it (and if there is overlap, I’ll just use the same conditions as before to prevent double point gain). As it stands, your personal goal of “shapeshift” was made with full knowledge that my team would have a shapeshifting subtask at one point. :tongue:

All budding lucid dreamers need goals. While I appreciate your willingness to sacrifice points for the personal goal because of your inability to think of one, I need to drive you to set one for your own sake.

I want to change my personal goal to “Move with willpower” and what I mean by that is the ability to visualize yourself in another location in the dream and suddenly be there. First it would be just a short “jump” to an object I can see in the dream. Like a shadowstep, voidwalk or blink ability in some games. This will help towards my goal of reaching the frozen planet, since it’s important that I can visualize the target location to be on the other side of the door/portal.

Edit: So what I want to learn is dashing/blinking like in the game Dishonored and teleporting like in the movie Jumper.

Okay, let’s get this show on the road! Know that the hosts are each contributing to the tasks, so if you see sudden shifts in writing style, that’s why. For this task, I came up with the concept and wrote the description and generic subtasks while the other hosts each wrote their own team subtasks. Likewise, over the next two weeks, you’ll get tasks from drd and Scipio, so there’ll be several “flavors” of tasks. :smile:

Task 1: Fly!

The first time I encountered a LC Task about the simple act of lucid flight, I scoffed a bit. I felt that it was something of which everybody was capable and thus shouldn’t have been a Task. I still think flying a simple thing that everybody can do, but I was certainly wrong about not having it as a Task; in every LC in which I’ve competed since, I’ve been desperate to get into the air, but I always kept myself grounded because a long flight would distract me from getting points. I often prayed for the LC to end so that I could stretch my wings once more. I’m not going to subject this LC’s participants to the same need to be grounded that I would feel, so let’s open this LC by taking to the skies!

Post a setting in the LC topic and fly in it30 points: My most memorable flights are so not only because of how I flew, but also because of the sights I saw. I have fond memories of flights over a large body of water, through a archipelago of floating islands among a pink sky, and over a city alit with neon. Where will you fly? If you don’t describe or share a picture of the setting here first, you don’t get the points! Choose a setting that you truly want to fly in—don’t just say “I always dream at my house, so I’ll fly there for easy points”—and know that once you state a setting, you can’t change it!

Ride a living thing for flight30 points: Go ahead, ride anything you want (except for Thorn—no overlapping with that host subtask!) as long as it’s alive. Do it the drd way, just hop on and fly away!
Take a DC on a flight40 points: Sometimes I like to take a DC with me when I fly. I usually grab them by the hand, or just teach them how to fly. Do whatever is best for you, just make sure they stick around during the flight.

Ride a non-living thing for flight30 points: Catch a ride in an airplane, pilot a giant mech through the air, stand atop a rocket or missile, or whatever you like.
Fly with style40 points: The first thing I did when stretching my wings was stylize them. Clearly flying alone wasn’t enough. For this task you need to trick out how you fly! You could go the route I did and colorize your wings to a specific shade of plumage or you could do something like add oversized boosters to your jetpack. Maybe extra large tassels for your magic carpet? Whatever you choose you have to make a change to how you currently are flying in the dream to gain points.

Fly using sprouted wings30 points: Anybody who knows me (or has seen all of my LD4all avatars) is aware of the pride I take in my dream wings. Think of the wings you want, whether leathery, feathered, insect-like, or something else entirely, then put them to proper use! This cannot be combined with the following subtask.
Transform into something that can fly and do just that40 points: I’m personally pretty good at transforming into a dragon in dreams, and my flights with that amount of mass have been quite the experiences. You could be that, or you could be a bird, a flying robot, a jet, an insect, a bat… the possibilities are many.

As sign-ups took much longer than usual for this LC, the hosts want to see who is actually still around before we have any Team Dreams. Therefore, this week will have host subtasks instead, and Team Dreams will begin next week.
Note: drd’s host subtask was typed by Thorn, not drd. It shouldn’t actually affect anything, but if Team drd’s members want to yell at somebody if the subtask goes horribly wrong, I need to take responsibility for my actions. :tongue:

Have drd make you fly40 points: drd’s all about getting powers in dreams, and he’s certainly willing to provide such powers to the LC participants. Have him get you into the air via his willpower or via a given power. He may just psychically move you through the air, or he could have a potion or injection prepared that’ll grant you the power of flight or make you sprout wings.
Have Scipio gift you technology for flight40 points: “Scipio’s the technology guy…” Apparently so! So… LucidTech is open! Step right up, one and all and take a look at what we have in our Flight wing! Everything’s free to try, just come to me and ask for technology to get you off the ground! Jetpacks? Boba Fett would be jealous! Hoverboards? We had them BEFORE 2015! Flying mechs? Better than anything you’ll find in today’s games and anime! And, if you act quickly (and ask nicely :tongue: ) I’ll even let you try out my Scales armor! (Think Iron Man, but currently with less gadgets.)
Transform Thorn into a living flying ride40 points: As previously stated, I take pride in my dream wings, and I’d love to give you a ride. That said, I can’t really flap well if you’re on my back, and I don’t think I could hold you beneath me either… if you want the points, you need to alter me somehow to make a more comfortable flight and then catch a ride. Make me a bigger creature or simply enlarge me, or perhaps turn me into a balloon you could ride; any alteration will do if it gets us into the skies!

Extended Task: Board Game!

It’s been a few LCs since we’ve had an extended task. [sarcasm]I’m sure you’re all just thrilled to have it back![/sarcasm]

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from past LCs, it’s that participants love games. 20 Questions in LC 39 did well, Design-a-Kaiju from LC 42 was fun, and LC 44 Task 1 saw participants ignoring some later tasks just to fill in the game board I presented. With that in mind, let’s give gaming another go!

Here’s the board for LC 46.

Unlike in LC 44, you won’t be unlocking tons of subtasks at once in this LC. Instead, you’ll move from space to space along the arrows on the board, attempting to create a string of subtasks that lead you from the start (center-left) to the finish (bottom-right). There are no Early, Combo, or Lucid points attached to this extended task. White squares have 50-point subtasks in them, colored squares have 80-point host subtasks in them, and the white rectangles on the right side…? Well, we’ll score those when we get to them.

As always with these sorts of games, there’s a catch! When the subtask on the last space of the board is completed, the LC will immediately end. The trick is to pace yourself; if you’re scoring well, race to the end, and if you’re trailing behind, ignore the board completely and do other Tasks. There’s a point on the board that will stop people from progressing until all three hosts have had a week each for their Tasks, but once that restriction passes, it’s all about having a good strategy and dreaming well!

You’ll be able to see the themes for subtasks in each area of the board to help you aim for appealing subtasks. You can see any subtask that any competitor has reached, but you only earn points for subtasks you can reach given your completions. If you complete a subtask two arrows away from the farthest point you’ve reached, it doesn’t count! You can, however, do things in sequence in your dream, e.g., you’ve seen subtask 4 thanks to another competitor but haven’t beaten 3, so you do 3 and then 4 in your dream (but not 4 and then 3).

The subtasks here have very specific settings and actions compared to those in the weekly Tasks. This is meant to be tough; the people who will be moving across the board and trying to finish the LC will be the high scorers who want to clinch a victory, and we don’t want to make ending the LC easy!

Even if you’re aiming to finish quickly, you may not want to take the most direct path. Subtasks are still worth points—enough to turn the tide of the LC—and you may find some helpful rewards in the dead ends on the board. You’ll also see some colored arrows between subtasks; if you finish some subtasks under extra conditions, you may find additional subtasks or earn a reward!

Plan your strategy well! Best of luck!

My setting will be the sun. I will fly near it or in it.

My setting will be a mountain range which I’ll be taking flight over.

The ocean. I’d say my setting would be the ocean as far as the eye can see. The ocean. Ocean ocean ocean.

I’m tired.