Understanding Yourself Deeper Through Lucid Dreaming

Hello, I’m new just here today and am greatful for places like these existing.

I’m completely new to lucid dreaming and I hope to have one with the help of those in these forums.

I have a question that I hope, preferably, an experienced Lucid Dreamer can answer.

Is it possible to communicate with your subconscious mind in LDs? For example, if you were to be going through some sudden crisis of self that you have no idea where it’s coming from, you could ask your mind to explain to you why you’re going through the things you’re going through and be communicated with in some form to understand the root cause?

I’m in desperate need of knowing myself better and I would really like to know if it’s possible to flesh yourself out in LDs and look deeply into yourself, the good the bad, the everything in your life

Thank you for your time

If you’re going from the assumption that your mind is something other then you then yes you can say that you can talk to your mind/subconscious but as I see it is that you’re actually talking to yourself.

In a dream you can confront problems on a really different level, in a very different way and by doing that you are getting a different perspective of the things which might help you to solve your problems or to better understand them, better understand yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply!

What I mean to say is that… there are things we do when we are concious that we don’t know why we do them, what triggers us to think a certain way or have habits we have no idea where they come from. All that information is stored deep in our subconscious from what I understand. So what I’m asking is if we can access our deepest mind to understand exactly what’s going on within us through LD.

Well, certainly through LDing you can do things differently. Although what you’re asking would require a lot of practice, in my own opinion maybe a lifetime of practice because you’re talking about something that seems quite easy and not complicated at all but from my research about lucid dreams and dreams in general I’ve came to that conclusion because research directed me in the buddhism because one of their many goals in their lifetime is exactly what you asked me if it is possible to reach your core, your true self, your higher self.

By doing that they can achieve one of the toughest tasks and that is becoming “ego free” they extract themselves from the equation so to speak and when they do that they have completely different look at things and most importantly on themselves. They know what is important and what isn’t, things that we struggle with might become unimportant because we see the bigger picture then, they called that enlightenment.

Of course we practically can’t go that far although it’s not impossible but as I said requires a lot of practice.

This is just how I see your question, there might be other dreamers that will share there thoughts on the topic but don’t feel discouraged now. I’ve had many dreams that helped me a lot with waking struggle and I’m far from practicing it every day. Dreams are powerful but there’s a learning curve to them specially if you wanna use them for more then just having fun. If you except that and if you are ready to work with that in your mind then everything is possible. It’s important to understand that you probably won’t achieve that over a night and that’s the beauty of it. With each and every day you will learn a lot and you will “shape” yourself in a new person everyday and just that might be an answer you were asking.

Well they say that enlightenment comes in many different ways and forms.

Good luck! :content:

I’m not an especially experienced lucid dreamer but I wanted to weigh in on this. It seems to me that what you’re after - greater self-knowledge, understanding of your own motivations, etc - is a quest that can be helped in dreams, but you probably also want to work on it in waking life.

Waking ways to approach the question could be meditation, talking to a relative/therapist/religious leader, playing with tarot or other ‘fortune telling’ devices that bring out intuitive thinking, journalling, etc. In dreams, you can ask your ‘subconcious’ for clues, play your own therapist, uncover your own secret inner architecture… whatever metaphor you can come up with, really. Ask your mind and it’ll give you something. Might be helpful.

As dB_FTS says, this is really a lifelong endeavor, and sometimes it’s painful, but it’s very much worthwhile.

to add to this, you really dont have to “wait” and use lucid dreams to understand yourself. while this is a great way to go about it you can start right now without using that particular technique.
all you need to do is to start examining yourself, your thoughts and actions, to be able to stop and be objective, to look at yourself from the side and ask why, a very powerful question. why you acted that way?/ why did you think that way?/ why did you react that way?
all depending on the situations you think are relevant for you to explore, those you want answers to. the most important part of this is to be able to be honest enough with yourself to hear the answer, you would be surprise how much we lie and deceive ourselves so we wont have to hear the answer we dislike.

you can start there and as far as dreams go you can also try concentrating on a certain “issue” or a question before going to bed and see what you get.

have fun (;

You could talk to your subconscious personified as a dream character. Just shout out loud “I want to talk to my subconscious” or ask a DC “where is my subconscious? I want to talk to them”.

Here is a lucid dream where I did exactly that:

[spoiler]I was lucid and talking to a DC who said they were my subconscious. It was a beautiful woman who was my age, we had a really interesting conversation and really enjoyed talking to one another, she knew everything about me, everything i’ve done in my life, and everything i’ve even thought of in my life. She could even tell what I was thinking at the moment, and what I was about to think of next. At first i was worried that she might find out about something i feel guilty about, I couldn’t help but think about what i was feeling guilty over, and she said “oh don’t worry about that, there’s no need to feel guilty over it, im ok with it” I felt a lot of relief hearing this from my subconscious, to know that my subconscious loves everything about me is a really good thing to know. It was like we were better than best friends, it felt so good just to be around each other.

Anyway, while I was around her, I felt I had a lot more conscious control, a higher level of lucidity and was more concreted in the dream, it wasn’t fading or anything and the dream lasted a very long time. There was one point in the dream where i really got to shine my powers. There was a car coming very fast towards me, the guy in the car was purposely trying to run me over. I stuck my hand out and stopped the car dead on the spot, i didn’t even budge one bit. The man looked very scared and so he should be. I was pissed off, I made him burst into flames by thought alone. The flames incinerated him and I made a huge gust of wind come by to put out the flames, all that was left was his burnt skeleton. I felt very powerfull, and for the rest of the dream I went around feeling like i had 100% full control, everything I tried would work perfectly first time, and didn’t even require any effort, if I wanted something to happen all I had to do was think about it. [/spoiler]