Author  Message 
Awe
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: a lot.

A Job/career for Lucid Dreamers
PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2015  Reply with quote

oh NO! i dont know any ^^

im asking, do any of you know or heard of people using lucid dreaming as a job, or as volunteering for some research of any kind?
i think most of us heard of Stephan Labarge, and i am aware there are online surveys you can take as part of some experiment.

Current LD goal(s): stability of lucidity + reaching the blueprint level
Aeon234
Lucid Natural
Dream Deity
Aeon234 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 1000+

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2015  Reply with quote

Damn, thought you had some idea's that's why I clicked this thread >.<

I know some people try to be a youtube celebrity talking about their LD's but to be honest even those people don't have many subscribers or views.

Probably the best way would be to write your own book about it.

Current LD goal(s): Explore persistent realms
Awe
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2015  Reply with quote

i think the best way would be to learn how to WILD and use that skill in a laboratory. there are people who study dreams and sleep, this could be highly beneficial.
once you can lucid dream whenever you want you can be told what to do and they will study your brain for example as you do so and how it effects the body. there were already researches with Stephan Laborge when a lucid dreamer made a sign recognizable by a machine which let them know when they got lucid.

almighty catfish
Best. Title. Ever
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

I did a quick Google search; didn't find any jobs for lucid dreamers specifically, but if you wanted to volunteer for research you'd have to contact a university or an institute that is studying sleep patterns, brain waves during sleep, effects, etc. They probably wouldn't advertise it, you might just have to phone around.
Career-wise, I assume you'd have to undertake study to be a sleep scientist or study oneirology (the study of dreams) as a scientist.

Cinder
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 11

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

Probably something involving somnology? That field of science seem closely interwoven with lucid dreaming.

Current LD goal(s): Meditate for an hour in a dream
Siiw
Infinite Impatience
Globahead
Siiw has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: last 19.augus

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

Even if I can't see how any job would be more fitting for a lucid dreamer, I can imagine that lucid dreaming can help with practicing stressful situations, for example job interviews. The increased creativity in a lucid dream state could also be useful for creative/design work. It has certainly helped me as a florist.

Current LD goal(s): To bring back art or a song

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
Tggtt
Quest Doctor
cookie lover
Tggtt has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

PostPosted: Sun 12 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

Awe wrote:
i think the best way would be to learn how to WILD and use that skill in a laboratory. there are people who study dreams and sleep, this could be highly beneficial.

It would be beneficial but I am not sure this would be a good career:

1. Financial support: I don't think that studying dreams would receive large grants and such; (but this could change, not so soon though)
  2. Invention Payout: This study itself doesn't seem like it would be used to create an invention that lots of people would like to use (pay for). For example, sleep cycle analyzers, lucid dreaming headband/masks do not seem to be a success not even within this community;
  3. Career Advancement: Scientists do not need to be lucid dreamers to study lucid dreaming, they just need background knowledge. They would need test subjects that are lucid dreamers to make exploratory studies and to validate their hypotheses. Then, they would need a good number of lucid dreamers and this context is hard to select. Unlike The Sims(tm), test subjects hardly become successful scientists, they are hardly paid good money, except for dangerous testing, such as medicine testing. Also, like I wrote before, the scientists probably wouldn't have much money to pay the subjects.

As far as my experience goes, I feel like the people that are more "lucky" for being LDers are artists/creative designers like Siiw pointed.

Awe
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

yes, i figured the money wouldnt be good.
what i meant though is that there is a great research of the activity of the brain while asleep and dreaming, and by being able to control your dream, this could work perfectly to figure out how the brain works, form those data.. who knows what will happen.

Awe
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

Objective wrote:
Probably something involving somnology? That field of science seem closely interwoven with lucid dreaming.

try Oneirology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneirology

Awe
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015  Reply with quote

probably the best next thing though would be the work of Stephen Leberge on lucid dreaming.
http://www.lucidity.com/

print