quick question i got on my mind (Hypnagogic Imagery)

Is it true the more tried you are the more hypnogogic imagery you produce before bed?

I haven’t noticed any difference in this, apart from how much easier it is to actually reach the HI stage when extremely sleepy. With the right amount of mild disturbances, the HI phase can be drawn out quite a lot in that state. Trying to sleep on a bus or a train usually produces more memorable HI than sleeping in a quiet bed.

Yes I believe your right. I’ve heard that deprivation of sleeps makes the brain play tricks on you. So for example people driving for many hours could experience hypnogogic imagery and audible hallucinations as well.

I think I’m the opposite: if I’m more tired, I will go into deep sleep quicker, with a shorter period of hypnagogic hallucinations.

On the other hand, hallucinations just after waking up is more likely if I was really tired. (e.g. if I’ve just slept 8 hours and I still haven’t had enough sleep).

People who have become over-tired/sleep deprived will sometimes see hypnagogic hallucinations even when they’re trying to stay awake. (And re. the above, if someone experiences this, they are definitely too tired to be able to drive safely).