Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Chaining

Author  Message 
Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug, 2002  Reply with quote

Ugh. I know what you mean. I've had way too many of those experiences, especially with people talking. But a chainsaw at six in the morning? grrr

The worst, though, has to be when you're in the middle of an LD and your alarm clock goes off.

m2k961
Somniologist
Somniologist

I dont know who's usin that dang chainsaw so early in the morning, but when i do....it aint gonna be pretty. grrr

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

Are you sure it wasn't a lawnmower? If it was a chainsaw hopefully they'll run out of trees soon. smile

dunlar
Astral Adventurer
Astral Explorer

Quote:
Like the original poster mentioned, this can't be used as a primary LD technique, since you can't do it unless you've already been in an LD.

Actually, I said the opposite, but it sounds like you figured that out already.

Quote:
one problem with this technique is if you don't move, you can't write your dream down in your DJ!

If it works, you should get a LD to write down instead of a boring old normal dream. The only time I have trouble is if I have too many LD's (such a thing is possible) or if I fall back into a normal dream. For example, last night I had a bunch of LD's, but I can only really remember the last one and little snippets of the others.

Quote:
Looking back over my own personal dream log, I'm starting to think that maybe all LD's give you a little chance to reclaim it

I think that is indeed the case.

Quote:
dunlar: then, all you have to do is focus a little on those hypnogogic images that start to form right? In my case those images get extremly vivid if I play dead.

I've been paying more attention to that black-floaty state, and I seem to do the following... Wait a few seconds. Look to my left, moving only my eyes, not my head, which causes me to feel like I'm spinning and getting dizzy. Keep it up for a few seconds and a dream starts.

Quote:
This may be the same thing as an "Out of Body Experience," since the dream begins where you are in real life

I usually start back where the last dream left off, though that isn't always the case for me.

Quote:
The worst, though, has to be when you're in the middle of an LD and your alarm clock goes off.

No, no, no... The worst is when you're in the middle of a LD and you
dream that your alarm clock has gone off...

Quote:
...what you have to do is wake up after 5-6 hours of sleep using an alarm clock near your bed, after you turn it off just return immdietly to the same position you where in, or any other position that you feel good with, just stay still and don't move at all...

I now think these are two different things. About 2 weeks ago I awoke from a dream, remembered not to move, and was floating around like usual. I then heard someone banging around in the house and that woke me up the rest of the way. The interesting thing was that I could actually feel my mind changing gears, switching from dream mode to awake mode.

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

Dunlar, it looks like your thread is experiencing a revival; I was surprised to go back and read it was originally posted in July. Now that I've used chaining from a non-lucid dream, I will try to work more on "programming" my mind not to open my eyes so quickly when I wake up. siiw

I also agree with what you said about having too many LD's and losing track of their details. I once began counting my chain LD's while the LD was still going on and I think I either skipped a number or forgot an LD! shy2

Chitstix
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2002  Reply with quote

i saw this thread when looking through old ones, and thought it was pretty cool so i posted on it... and now it seems to have had a sudden burst of popularity grin well i didnt want it to die...

oh yeah, and does anyone think this would work if i've never had an LD before? or if it's worth trying? cos when i get up then go back to bed i often can't get back to sleep again.

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sun 01 Sep, 2002  Reply with quote

I never used this technique until after I had LD's for a long time. Of course, I didn't even know what LD's or WILD's or anything were for a long time because I was a natural LD'er. But it's worth a shot.

nO-SKiLLzZ
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep, 2002  Reply with quote

When "playing dead", does it matter what sleeping position you are in?

m2k961
Somniologist
Somniologist

Well not for me, i dont think postition matters.

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

When I wake up from dreams, I'm almost always on my back, which is funny because I can never fall asleep on my back...

ulrik_tr
Somniologist
Somniologist

If i set my computer to wake me up with a very gentle sound at 6'o'clock, so i i doesn't get shocked, and start moving, do you think it'll work then?

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

That's tricky. I've never gotten my alarm clock to wake me up gently before.

ulrik_tr
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep, 2002  Reply with quote

With gently i mean a low-frequent humm, that only lasts 3-4 seconds.. Just enough to wake you up, and remember to play dead.

dunlar
Astral Adventurer
Astral Explorer

Quote:
If i set my computer to wake me up with a very gentle sound at 6'o'clock, so i i doesn't get shocked, and start moving, do you think it'll work then?

It might work, it might not, but it shouldn't hurt to try. When I do this, it's like I'm floating between awake and sleep... What I'd be worried about is that the sound might make you awaken fully. (or you might sleep right through it...) Maybe it'd work better if you used a recorded voice saying "do not move", starting at a low volume and gradually ramped up over 4 repetitions or so...

It would be nice to build some device to make this work better, as the problem is "how can I awaken without moving?" instead of "how can I make myself realize I'm dreaming?". I was thinking a restraining harness might work, but I doubt it because your body will still tense its muscles and try to move... Which will probably ruin that floatie state. Plus it'd be trouble if the house caught fire...

So can anyone think of a device that might help the "how can I awaken without moving" problem?

ulrik_tr
Somniologist
Somniologist

Well, i tried it this morning. At 6'o'clock my computer played a 5 second long sound, with 3 low-frequent 'hummmms'. I woke up, and remembered to stay in bed, but the sound was too long.. I didn't think very logical at that time, so i went up to stop it when the 2nd and 3rd 'hummm' came. I'll try it again next morning with another sound. Maybe i just need to get into a habit, so i doesn't get excited...

print