Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic

Author  Message 
Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

PostPosted: Wed 22 Dec, 2004  Reply with quote

It's just an unfortunate (but fairly rare) side effect of SP. Like HH, or the tingly feeling, or the feeling of falling etc.

batosan
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan, 2005  Reply with quote

I had many experiences, some of them just plain freaky and funny. I was sleeping in my bed, face up, and then 5 minutes after I fell asleep I woke up and saw a black figure walk past my room. I knew it couldn't be anyone because I was home alone. Another encounter was a while ago. I was snoozing on the couch and woke up with SP, to my surprise there was a little light in the room and I saw someone crawling from the ceiling fan to the wall. I was terrified. Now that I think about it, am I subconsciously afraid of Spiderman? I really enjoyed Spiderman 2 however...

batosan
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2005  Reply with quote

I've had the old hag hold me down by the head and on several occasions i seem them crawling on windows and on the roof. I even see them walk by my room and even try to come in (i can see their darkness).

Kava
LD4all addict
LD4all addict

You make it sound very creepy... There coming to get you batosan, there allways watching, there getting closer, and closer.

batosan
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

you'd imagine my surprise! after experiencing it I would say "What the hell.. was that spiderman?!" lol.

Manko
Somniologist
Somniologist

Well, that seems to be developed form of sleep paralysis, with hypnagogic halucinations. It reminds me of the shadowmen enigma, but it is clearly linked with the dreaming.
It is not unusual to see things after waking up, yes it could be spiderman aftermath.

Beesflirtn

Old Hag
PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005  Reply with quote

Sry I didnt relize there was a forum for these questions here....but I am a begginner to lucid dreaming. I have been doing a dream journal for 2 months now even though I aklready had good dream rcall. But honestly I am truley afraid to dream becuase of old hag. I am afraid of it.....can someone help me with this or maybe help me over come it? Thanks so much...Nick

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jan, 2005  Reply with quote

Hi Beesflirtn ! bye Welcome to the forum !

Old Hag is a recurring question amongst beginners. You have a search engine on this forum (in the top bar) and you can search for "old" and "hag", and find all these topics :
Old Hag Syndrome
The Old Hag
Old Hag?
The Old Hag syndrome!!
It's better to post in an existing topic, because answers won't be scattered through the forum. grin

About your question : you don't have to be afraid of Old Hag. It's not a dream character that you'll often meet. Most likely, you won't meet her at all !
In fact, Old Hag is related with a sleep disorder called Sleep Paralysis. For people experiencing such a disorder, the mind wakes up before the body, and they find themselves paralyzed during a few seconds (up to 2 or 3 minutes).
In some cases, Sleep Paralysis is accompanied with hallucinations. As sleep paralyzed people are already afraid of what happens, these hallucinations are often frightening (ET's, demons, Old Hag, etc.)

Concerning LD, there is a confusion, because when you practise WILD (and only this induction technique), you try to volontarily reach a paralyzed state, which many LD'ers also call SP. But these hallucinations don't appear in this state. They are only related with the SP disorder.

I hope you won't be afraid, now ! Remember that all you can experience in LD... is just a dream ! ^^

mods : wouldn't be a great idea to gather all the posts about Old Hag in a "BIG Old Hag topic ?"

batosan
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2005  Reply with quote

I've had the "spiderman" affect during SP, but now that I think about it, it's just the effect of someone malicious that can climb on walls and stuff (Sorta like The Fear in MGS3). It's definitely something in my subconcious (perhaps?) because the last thing I would be scared of is spiderman! And also, I've never dreamed about spiderman (well, never dreamed and remembered it).

batosan
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

if you could, try to sleep with the light on and when you have SP try to look at the shadowfigures.
just a thought.

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

and one more current topic colgate
"That old hag...."
yes Basilus West, it might be a good idea to combine all of these "old hag" topics.

welcome to the forum Beesflirtn bye
The old hag should never ever be feared by people attempting to lucid dream. I am stunned that so many people visit here asking these "I'm scared of old hag" questions .... and I've never noticed threads created with "Help me, I have an old hag in my room" lach1

Beesflirtn, I'm more afraid of bees colgate dont worry about this "old hag" and don't let it get in your way.

Xetrov
Nonexist
cookie lover

Perhaps you should combine these posts and make a sticky "SP and old hag related stuff" threat? People aren't gonne use the search anyway and just keep asking these questions, since there will always be more new or beginning people that arrive on the forums.

lone wolf
the silent stalker
Somniologist

was this old hag?
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jan, 2005  Reply with quote

Ok so last night as I was laying in bed when suddenly I could see the outline of the people from youth group and I could hear them talking. I could move and everything because I would always get up on my elbow and look around. After a while I had enouf of it so I got up and fell asleep on my couch in another room.

My question is, was this my imagination, old hag or a dream.

Miklos
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

From your information, it seems like a hallucination, possible HH. It could also be a dream, but if you could move around and eventually get up out of bed, that's probably not likely. Were your eyes closed? If you could move around, I would say that it most definitely was not the old hag or anything related to that or SP. Did you feel fear as this was happening?

lone wolf
the silent stalker
Somniologist

well actaully I wasn't afraid at all just really irritated at the hallustinations. I kind of knew I wasn't dreaming. The only reason I got up was because I was really annoyed at them grrr . also the only time that i have these HH's or whatever they are, are after youth group. also when I stood up it was 1:34 AM and I had first gone to sleep at about 10:00.

print