Rainbow Connection

The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic

Author  Message 
Guy
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2004  Reply with quote

Dysamalex wrote:
There's also the Mare (as in nightMARE), which I think is just another name for the hag.

Strange, isn't Mare a name for a female horse or something? I remember one time I had a bad dream, it was storming pretty hard and it was night. I looked out this little window in my front door. I could see...farther then usual, and there was like a terrace thing behind the houses across the street. All the sudden this black horse with a rider all dressed and black ran through the front lawn of the house across the street. It jumped into the air for a second, shrieked and ran off. I took a few steps back, I just KNEW this was a very bad sign and that some scray shit was about to happen. I woke myself up. The day that followed that dream ended up being one of the worse I've ever had.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

Guy wrote:
Strange, isn't Mare a name for a female horse or something?

Yes, as you can see in the Fussli painting "The Nightmare".
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/F/fussli/fuseli_nigh tmare.jpg.html

"Indeed, the word nightmare comes from the Anglo-Saxon mare, for goblin or incubus." (Laberge, EWLD)
Dysamalex wrote:
You could never reach that kind of consensus that you can regarding any other rabbit or albatross, catching them, measuring them.. all that.

Hmmm... that's right. It will need a shared dream laboratory, with shared dream instruments, like EEG, etc. and would be rather difficult wink

Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

All my SP:s had been about me walking into a black hole and time freezes...but it was a long time ago and I solved my fear of SP by walking halfways into the black hole and going back to where I started the dream.

Lybi

The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic
PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug, 2004  Reply with quote

<MOD>
This topic has been designated at the "BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic"
Many topics have been created about this subject, and we have merged them all into one BIG topic. Merged topics include several threads, and since threads are arranged by date it may read confusing. This thread has merged quite well though. colgate
</MOD>

Um... I'm not sure if this is the old hag thing so I want to make sure.

I was moving in my bed late at night, because I couldn't sleep, but all of a sudden, I felt something really really heavy on me, kinda like pushing on top of me (I was lying on my back at the time). I've heard of something happening like this from some superstitious Vietnamese kids, where like a ghost lies on you or something. So I didn't open my eyes, because I was a bit scared. And I couldn't move at all, finally. I was soon able to move my fingers, slowly, but with effort. After a while, I soon regain control of my body.

Is this what the old hag thing is?

Bluedini
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug, 2004  Reply with quote

This is called sleep paralysis or in mythology, the old hag (as you already know). Legend says it's the ghost of some old woman who's trying to crush you to death. What it actually is is your body shutting down for sleep. You see, your body actually paralises itself when you go to sleep so you don't start acting your dreams out in the real world. However the mind can still be conscious or become conscious while in this state and because of the adrenaline you're body starts pumping in a frightning situation coupled with the hypnogogic imagery your mind is producing at this time it can seem like you're being crushed by something evil and melevolant. It's perfectly natural and happens every night, you're just usually not aware of it. Hope that helps to reassure you.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2004  Reply with quote

I thought old hag was when you thought there was something or someone else in the room with you, which gave you extreme fear...

TheTourist

there is something in your room. its called alien abduction

*mwahahaha*

Nic
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

oh it's not fake. it's real. unless it wouldn't be happening.

Lybi

Thanks Blue, that really helped.

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

Using "old hag" in the "Search" engine yeilds 47 results. There seems to be an "old hag" hype going on.

"Old Hag Syndrom" - original topic from 2003

"Old Hag?"

"The Old Hag"

"I think my quest for lucidity is over"

"I think I had the old hag as a child"

"Scared"

I once read SP being defined as:
Quote:
Sleep Paralysis: Sometimes called the "Old Hag" this strange occurrence is not particularly rare, and can happen when the brain has been simultaneously aroused into a waking mode yet still not having shut off the atonia (paralysis) and hypnagogic imagery associated with REM. Often menacing, very real seeming entities are sensed being in the same room. A frightening experience, but made less so, if one is aware of the phenomenon.

I recently mentioned in this thread:
"OBE re-entry by tricking the mind"
about how "the presence" or "old hag" may be yourself. The senses are distorted and you may be actually afraid of your own physical body, and confusing it as someone else.

This never seems to happen to me. I wouldn't fear it, and it can actually be used towards your advantage for a great lucid experience if you can overcome the fear.

Lybi

Hmm.... I kinda want to try to fall into sleep paralysis again. I didn't find it that hard. I just tried to stay awake as long as I can while laying in bed. But...

It's so frigen scary. I don't like horror movies, and everytime I fall into sleep paralysis, I keep having all these horror-movie-type thoughts in my head, and I get frigen scared.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Nic wrote:
oh it's not fake. it's real. unless it wouldn't be happening.

That makes no sense. What's not fake?

Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

the paralysis?

Dysamalex
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

BTW

If someone would like to contact a incubus/succubus, here's a way to do it:

-Get yourself some solid combined handcuffs/anklecuffs, so that you will be able to tie your feet and hands on your back.

-IMPORTANT! Make sure that you are able to unlock them unaided, so that you won't starve to death if you're unable to.

-Put a container (a casserole maybe) of water in the freezer, wait until it is half frozen. Put the key in, so that it will be frozen in the middle of the block. Put it in until it is hard as wood.

-Take the casserole into a room where you know you will not be disturbed for a long time. A quiet room, not too brightly lit.

-Put yourself on the floor, on a piece of skin. Put the hand/ankle cuffs on.

-Wait.

The passing succubus/incubus will now know (because you know) that you are helpless for some hours. If your position is uncomfortable... good, and don't hesitate to wimper. You could also cultivate (and express) fear. This will attract them. Also imagine yourself being a waiting slave boy/girl, and promise yourself that you will be obedient to your master/lady.

This might take some tries to work, so don't give up.

-Tell us how it went.

*Use common sense*
-Be absolutely sure that you will be able to free yourself.

-When he/she comes be obedient, but don't do anything stupid because they say so. They have very little understanding of what life in the "real" world is like, so you might need to educate them a bit. Remember he/she does not want anything to happen to you, so if you reason with her she will probably listen.

-She might tell you to dump your girlfriend, or atleast demand that you beat her or something like that, so this might be mostly for single people. (I'm not sure whether incubi are as jealous as succubi, but that might very well be).

Have fun smile

Dysamalex
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

SeanIRL wrote:

Quote:
And anyway these creatures have a certain kind of behaviour, you can interact with them, touch them etc.

Yeah but you could say that of any dream object.

Yes, I agree. It's all pretty much at the same level of realness, I think.

SeanIRL wrote:

Like I said about scientists thinking we create... "our visual world" entirely in our heads, just because you see something, and you can feel it, or smell it or taste it doesn't even necessarily mean it's there.

Here's an interesting link: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/blindspot1.html

It is a series of interactive experiments to show how the brain construct stuff that you don't actually see. Read all the text, do the experiment, and follow the link at the bottom. Really interesting.

LaBerge often mentions how, to the brain, dream is as real as waking reality. Since our brain represent our ONLY way to experience reality, the concept of "not really there" becomes a bit difficult. When dealing with dreams and succubi, it is useful to treat it as quite real, at least.

SeanIRL wrote:

Finishing note: Old hags sound scary as hell. But these things Dysamalex is talking about sound quite... intriguing

Quote:
If you start having contact, you will notice that her favourite activity is sex.

8D

Hehe. At least if you're into SM smile

print