2020 Vision

Absorbing books while sleeping - E. Cayce style

Author  Message 
DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

Absorbing books while sleeping - E. Cayce style
PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

Some may have heard of Edgar Cayce, and his claims that he could place a book under his pillow while sleeping and "absorb" the information.

I recently seen this article and thought this would be a great experiment to try here on LD4all.

The article on straightdope.com has a question that ask and answers:

Quote:
Dear Straight Dope:

I would appreciate some insight into the case of Edgar Casey, the "Sleeping Prophet." Although Edgar did turn his trance sessions into a money-making venture, what I've read has many elements of a solid story, especially the presence of a disconnected stenographer, and several verifiable accounts of medical treatments. Does the story of Edgar Casey meet with your skeptical approval? ----Thomas Walsh, Chicago

SDSTAFF David replies:

OK, first things first. Although his name was indeed pronounced "Casey," it's spelled "Cayce." For those who aren't familiar with him, here's some background:

Edgar Cayce purportedly began his psychic career when he began losing his voice at age 21 and the doctors couldn't do anything about it. He supposedly went into some sort of hypnotic sleep, recommended a cure for himself while in this state, and got better. Since it allegedly worked for him, he began doing the same thing for other people--diagnosing and prescribing cures while in a supposedly altered sleep state. From there he went on to doing readings for people who sent him letters (rather than actually being there) and on general psychic topics including past lives, the nature of the universe, what happened to Atlantis, etc. He claimed that, upon awakening, he did not recall anything he had said. He also claimed another sleeping power: the ability to absorb information from a book place under his head while asleep. Unsurprisingly, this was apparently never tested.

Well, now is the time for testing. smile Who else to try this than lucid dreamers! :D

So here is our task:

-find a short book or article that you have never read before. (you may can ask someone to select a newspaper article and seal it in an envelope for you. Just to make sure your eyes do not see the words subconsciously.)

-place this article under your pillow or head while sleeping

-go to sleep with the intention of reading or "absorbing" this article

-record in your dream diary every remembered details of your dreams

-Please lets try to give this at least 1 week (7 days) , and sleep with this article under your pillow for 7 days without looking at the contents.

It's very very important that you use a dream journal for this experiment. It is a must! As soon as you wake try to write down any details you can recall, even if it's nothing write down "I don't remember anything." It's essential for the validity of this experiment.

explora
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

hey dreamaddict!

awesome idea smile i like the concept of the experiment..

Over the last two years, i have found myself consistently dreaming new guides for research, book suggestions, different ideas to include in my own writing..

it comes through as pages of text usually, and i seem to know that this is my own future publication. because robert moss is my favourite author on all things dreaming, i often find myself reading one of 'robert moss' new books, and being surprised at the new information it contains.. My journal is literally litered with such experiences... smile

I think this is a neat experiment, and while it may not prove it to the larger community (since it is basically uncontrolled), i think it will have the effect of proving the potential to the dreamer themself..

good luck!
nick

explora
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

also i should add here that most such information comes through during the twilight zone state of consciousness..

the trick is to keep one's mind awake, focus on breathing, and one's attention on the book itself. often at this state of consciousness, an inner voice speaks, to recite phrases and sentences, etc.. one thing i notice, is that the voice itself comes through witha deeper meanign than just words. you can actually feel the emotion, and perspective of the writer..

very cool... I LOVE THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

Thanks Explora for the great advice on focusing intentions.

Quote:
i think it will have the effect of proving the potential to the dreamer themself

exactly! colgate I doubt we can prove to the public that this has potentinal, but the main priority here is to get people to have personal experiences.

This experiment reminds me of a LD I had a few weeks ago, where I asked a DC to tell me something interesting. The DC recited one word "sister," and it was the very last word of my dream journal. It was shocking to discover when I opened my DJ to record that LD. colgate ... which was under my bed. wink

explora
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

Yes. I remember that dream well Dreamaddict! Awesome stuff! I meant to say that weeks ago!

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover
TimeLess has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: hundreds

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

ok i will do it :D i will get somthing small i think i really need 2 scape back into dreaming again, my dreams of late have been confusingly lucid and disturbing from my past as well, iam dreaming dreams that i used to again which actually worries me. But anywayz i will try it on monday night and iwill report next monday :D

nice idea DA

Current LD goal(s): regain my nightly and focus on astral
LD count: yes
Location: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare! hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare!

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

explora wrote:
also i should add here that most such information comes through during the twilight zone state of consciousness..

the trick is to keep one's mind awake, focus on breathing, and one's attention on the book itself. often at this state of consciousness, an inner voice speaks, to recite phrases and sentences, etc.. one thing i notice, is that the voice itself comes through witha deeper meanign than just words. you can actually feel the emotion, and perspective of the writer..

very cool... I LOVE THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

should you be trying to read it or staring at it, or should just thinking about it work?

It's a devil of a task of keeping your thoughts on topic in the "twilight zone" it's where mantras are forgotten and when remembered they are different than when started... sometimes even taking on slightly "negative" connotations...

wish ic ould think of an example but when i go into that state of mind when i come out i'm saying my mantra and it's not making sense because my left brain is kind of shut down, and the wrods are different and sometimes it has a meaning other than what I intented for it to have.

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sun 12 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

i think there has been some reseach to say that that side doesnt actually shut fdown.. i will have to go find out about that.

Lucid Sky Dreams
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
Location: In a boat on a river, with tangerine trees, and marmalade skies...

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

yo...if this works it would make this year in school SO much easier...sweet let me grab something and throw it under the pillow asap...so i leave the same article under there for a week ya say? don't think an entire book would work?

#Six
Reality Checker
Astral Explorer

Yeah Lucid Sky Dreams!

From school, I have this one text book that I'm about to have a test on. Everytime I try to study at night (need self disciplin!) I just get bored, and say to myself, "Oh..I'll just sleep on it!)

But hey! Thanks to this wonderfull topic, I think this time I really will just sleep on it.
Literaly!

#Six

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

lach1 #six, I say that a lot too wink

LSD, the only reason I requested an article, is because it's simple and quick to read the whole thing afterwards. Sure you can try a book, but for the experiment you must read the whole thing to look for clues that may have been in the dream.

#Six
Reality Checker
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

So My text book is about Computer literacy. Everything I don't know about computers. I can't even type, I swear it has taken me already 2 minutes just to write this!

Anyway, I used the book as a pillow last night. It was uncomfortably hard, but I managed to fall asleep anyhow.

This morning, when my alarm went off, I kept my eyes closed as I reached to shut of the alarm.....This is the dialogue that went on in my head;

"The computer technician is able to extend the forarm out into the system to manipulate the mechanism to enable it to be programed to be disabled. It is in this logical way that an alarm can be dismantled.. "

Wow! Huh!?

So bizare, so complex. My head must of just sucked in all that technical language in the book and incorporated it into the mindless action of shutting my alarm off! eek2

8D Hey! This is fun! Oh..... of what else could I sleep on! Of what else could come into my consciousness!

Okay, now I'm at school, time to actually read the book.
read
#Six

spacecheese
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

You should put the book UNDER your pillow, not use it as one. ^^

Dm7
Nonexist
cookie lover

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

Hahahahahahaha lach2 lach2 lach2

Man I gotta to vote #six's post and spacecheese's reply for the most funny post and reply ever!

lach1 I had a good laugh.. thanks! hahaha

Anyways that experiment is interesting. I'll try it sometimes. :D

[edit] I also forgot... long time ago i heard about that experiment.. so I tried to do that with my homework cuz when i was younger... I can be lazy with homework lol. So I tried to sleep on it... no successes so far though. hahaha I failed the test and everything. >_< Oh well... lol

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

starting to night with something from the paper smile

print