The Spirit of Giving XIV

'Dream centre' of the brain found

Author  Message 
ivi
dreamer
Somniologist

'Dream centre' of the brain found
PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

Scientists believe they have located the part of the brain where people's dreams are created.

A team from the University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland, made the discovery after treating a woman who stopped dreaming after she had a stroke.

It had affected an area deep in the back of the brain - and they suggest this is the area controlling dreaming.

The researchers, writing in the Annals of Neurology, say the finding offers a new focus for dream research.

The 73-year-old patient lost a number of brain functions, mostly related to vision, with her stroke.

Most came back after a few days - but she then stopped dreaming. Before her stroke, she had dreamt three or four times a week.

REM sleep

The loss of the ability to dream - along with visual disturbances - following damage to a specific part of the brain, is called Charcot-Wilbrand syndrome, named after the eminent neurologists Jean-Martin Charcot and Hermann Wilbrand, who first described it in the 1880s.

The syndrome is quite rare, especially cases that lack symptoms other than dream loss.

The Swiss researchers decided to monitor the patient to try to discover which part of the brain was affected in people with the condition.

They monitored the woman's brainwaves for six weeks as she slept.

Her sleep was not disrupted, and she continued to have REM (rapid eye movement) sleep as normal.

This is significant, because dreaming and REM sleep occur together, although research has pointed to different brain systems underlying the two.

The researchers say their findings appear to confirm that dreaming and REM sleep are driven by independent brain systems.

Scans of the patient's brain showed the stroke had damaged areas located deep in the back half of her brain.

Brain damage

Other studies have shown that some of this region is involved in the visual processing of faces and landmarks, as well as the processing of emotions and visual memories, a logical set of functions for a brain area that would generate or control dreams.

After around a year, the patient did begin to have occasional dreams, but no more than one per week.

She reported that her dreams were less vivid and intense than they were before the stroke.

Writing in the Annals of Neurology, Dr Claudio Bassetti, of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital of Zurich in Switzerland, who led the research, said: "How dreams are generated, and what purpose they might serve, are completely open questions at this point.

"These results describe for the first time in detail the extent of lesion necessary to produce loss of dreaming in the absence of other neurological deficits.

"As such, they offer a target for further study of the localisation of dreaming."

He added: "Further conclusions about this brain area and its role in dreams will require more studies analysing dream changes in patients with brain damage."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3645576.stm

Seeker
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Sun 19 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

Interesting! Any budding neurobiologists out there looking for a Dissertation topic?

Gather quite a large sample and find what activates this portion of the brain, then develop a small, expensive device to sell!

spacecheese
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

Quote:
Before her stroke, she had dreamt three or four times a week.

I thought you had more dreams than that ;Z
Or maybe she only recalled 3-4 dreams per week. ^-^

Besides of that, this is realy intressting.
Got ay more articles on the same subject that you may share with us?

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover
TimeLess has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: hundreds

intereting i remember reading this article a while ago in my psychology class, if i am not mistaken i beleive that it is the Pods or ponds or somthing like that that is the brain area that causes dreams, i will re read over my notes and see what information i can find on it. thanx for resparking this tounge2

Current LD goal(s): regain my nightly and focus on astral
Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

Hmmm ? How do you know that somebody doesn't dream ? She could have lost her dream recall...

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover
TimeLess has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: hundreds

if you dont dream you die..... that is after quite a few nights, so taht would be one way to see wink5

Current LD goal(s): regain my nightly and focus on astral
Xisdence
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

This almost can be matching a victim to a crime. It does sound like it could be something worth investing research into though.

Seeker wrote:

Gather quite a large sample and find what activates this portion of the brain, then develop a small, expensive device to sell!

*Crashing and banging through blueprints and tools in his shed, "where is that brain"

ags_rule
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 03 Oct, 2004  Reply with quote

I posted this in stuff dreams are made of. eh

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct, 2004  Reply with quote

It seems to me like these scientists haven't done thier homework on dreaming...

Quote:
Before her stroke, she had dreamt three or four times a week.

They seem to have mixed up dreaming and dream recall. You have something like 7 - 12 dreams a night. This lady only remembered having three or four dreams a week, but really she had over thirty.

Quote:
After around a year, the patient did begin to have occasional dreams, but no more than one per week.

She simply managed to regain her DR. However, it was not as good as it use to be. I'm sure she had just as many dreams as before.

Quote:
She reported that her dreams were less vivid and intense than they were before the stroke.

They probably lost no vividness at all. But as she had weaker DR she couldn't remember them as well - and thus they seem less vivid.

Quote:
Other studies have shown that some of this region is involved in the visual processing of faces and landmarks, as well as the processing of emotions and visual memories, a logical set of functions for a brain area that would generate or control dreams.

So, it has damaged her memories. More proof of a weaker DR.

Quote:
if you dont dream you die..... that is after quite a few nights, so taht would be one way to see wink5

I agree with this and is the first thing that came to mind when reading the document. So, that really raises the biggest question - why is she still alive even though she 'hasn't dreamt for a year'?

jonesn
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005  Reply with quote

What makes you think that inability to have dreams will lead to death? A prolonged lack of DEEP sleep will certainly lead to many health problems, seeing how deep sleep is the regeneration of body and mind on the physiological level.

jonesn
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

I wish they would have named the specific lobe of the brain they claim to be responsible for the cognitive model management of dreams neutral

jonesn
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

TimeLess_Soul wrote:
i beleive that it is the Pods or ponds or somthing like that that is the brain area that causes dreams

Pons; it's above the brain stem and below the lymbic area

Carnun
Pasta Salami!
cookie lover
LD count: 5

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

If she has not lost any other memory functions, which I would have to assume they tested, then the researchers could still well postulate that it was infact a loss of dreaming and not a loss of dream recall.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

jonesn wrote:
What makes you think that inability to have dreams will lead to death? A prolonged lack of DEEP sleep will certainly lead to many health problems, seeing how deep sleep is the regeneration of body and mind on the physiological level.

After a week or two (can't remember which one it is) of no REM, you can do very little. You can't move properly, can't think straight, are prone to hallucinations and many other problems.

Leave it a little longer and you die (yes, this has been tested - the animals which it was tested on still got deep sleep, just no REM).

jonesn
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

Sureal,
Do you have a link to that info? I've never heard of REM deprevation doing that, but NREM (deep sleep) deprevation certainly will cause those symptoms and health deterioration.

print