Pause Time

How to Choose Your Technique

Author  Message 
guitar9307
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: None to date

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

thanks for the great topic but what should i do to keep myself focused for WILD?

I do the WBTB method then WILD but what should i focus on? im finding it tricky to let my body fall asleep while letting my brain staty focused.

Thanx, niall

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

guitar9307 wrote:
thanks for the great topic but what should i do to keep myself focused for WILD?

I do the WBTB method then WILD but what should i focus on? im finding it tricky to let my body fall asleep while letting my brain staty focused.

Thanx, niall

One way is to count, but you can find yourself getting off track after a while.

Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

I find counting bad actually, hehe, just breath deeply to keep you concentrated wink5

Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

ouvres tes yeux wrote:
I find counting bad actually, hehe, just breath deeply to keep you concentrated wink5

Same here. Counting never really worked for me. It just kept me up all night (No I wasn't dreaming either).

Yanielle
wandering spirit
Somniologist
Scribes
LD count: 3

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

Great topic, Great explanations! ^^

I've had several natural ld's, where i'm aware that I'm dreaming. My question, is though more about keeping the lucidity and control. Ist there a technique that improves that? When it happens spontaneously, its not a problem, but since I started trying to make it happen, I'd realize that I was dreaming and that just wakes me up right away. I'm under the highly motivated/fast sleeper and whenever I wake up then go back to sleep I always have much stronger dreams. Its like a natural WBTB. I think almost all my pre-lucids have come that way.
What do all of you think?

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

Yanielle wrote:
My question, is though more about keeping the lucidity and control. Ist there a technique that improves that?

Yes, there are several techniques to help attain your lucidity. One of them is to spin on your axis (it might just take you to another dream scene too), you could also try and rub your hands together, just take in the scene and become aware of everything around you, and one I heard recently was to stop, drop and roll (I don't know if this one has been tested yet).

Chat Mods
LD count: 13

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

Yanielle wrote:
My question, is though more about keeping the lucidity and control. Ist there a technique that improves that? When it happens spontaneously, its not a problem, but since I started trying to make it happen, I'd realize that I was dreaming and that just wakes me up right away.

You might want to take a look at The BIG "How to stay lucid" topic smile
As for if any particular technique will prevent this, unless you were trying WILD I would doubt it. I think it's more likely to be caused by building up on the idea of lucid dreaming or what you are doing once lucid, than it is to do with your technique.

Current LD goal(s): Become a Dragon! RAWR!
Yanielle
wandering spirit
Somniologist
Scribes

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

Thanks kT4all. ^^ What do you mean by "spin on your axis?" But your idea here is basically to focus more on the ok, I'm dreaming, just calmly take it all in, be aware, but relaxed, rather than "*GASP!* I'm dreaming!" then just waking up. is that right? It makes sense, seeing as the time that hasn't happened was when I had a dream within a dream; getting lucid on the second just made me go right back into the first-unlucid.

And dragon73-thanks! I'll check the staying lucid topic as soon as I'm done here. yes How would a WILD make it harder to keep lucidity? I have tried it, just not yet succesfully. I'll hold off on it until later if its a problem.

Chat Mods
LD count: 13

Yanielle wrote:
How would a WILD make it harder to keep lucidity? I have tried it, just not yet succesfully. I'll hold off on it until later if its a problem.

It's not that WILD makes it harder to become lucid, it's just that from what I've heard, WILDs can be less stable than DILDs generally are. smile

Current LD goal(s): Become a Dragon! RAWR!
Wyrmfell
For Now, I Am
Astral Explorer
LD count: >100

Dragon73 wrote:
]
It's not that WILD makes it harder to become lucid, it's just that from what I've heard, WILDs can be less stable than DILDs generally are. smile

On the contrary, every single one of my WILDS has lead to a long and vivid dream, while most of my DILDs never last longer than fifteen seconds. Additionally, DILDs have a greater chance of leading to a FLD.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

Yanielle wrote:
What do you mean by "spin on your axis?"

Just spin around! tounge2

Yanielle wrote:
But your idea here is basically to focus more on the ok, I'm dreaming, just calmly take it all in, be aware, but relaxed, rather than "*GASP!* I'm dreaming!" then just waking up. is that right?

Yes that is right. Just don't get that excited when you notice that you are lucid. If you do then you might wake up from the dream.

Yanielle
wandering spirit
Somniologist
Scribes

PostPosted: Sat 15 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

I DID IT! my last post was during my first real attempt at lucid dreaming; I'd been taking it easy, letting myself get used to the idea, completely assimilating it in my head before I tried it.
Anyway, I read the "stay lucid" topic (thanks Dragon73) and went back to bed. I wrote down in my DJ the things I wanted to do, and ended up doing an unintentional WILD at the same time. Among the things I wanted to do was have a good chat with my spirit guide, but I talk to her all the time in real life so I summoned her immediately. She helped me keep my mind "awake." What I realized is that WILD works so much easier if you're not trying to do it. grin
Funny thing though: I did have to keep a good amount of focus to keep myself asleep, but the problem was I was both in my real and dream body...If that makes sense.
I couldn't rub my hands together for example, because my real body hands would move and the dream would go more quickly. It was tricky. So I tried other things, like shouting "I'm dreaming! I'm dreaming!" The spin worked once, though another time I felt my real body starting to turn before I stopped it alltoghether. Has this happened to anyone? Why? Isn't sleep paralysis supposed to kick in at this point?

<mod>A post about multiple techniques having a negative effect was split to it's own topic in General Lucidness called "Are multiple techniques detrimental?" dragon </mod>

~Belladonna~
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

Hey guys, what would you class as "falling asleep quickly?" I think I'm in this catorgory as I'd say it takes me around 10 minutes to fall asleep, give or take a few.

<edit>
Yanielle wrote:
What I realized is that WILD works so much easier if you're not trying to do it. grin

This is definitely true! You just have to relax and go with it but somehow try and keep your mind awake, not letting yourself fall to sleep but at the same time not thinking about it too much as then the brain gets over-active and you don't become relaxed enough. Talk about trying to multi-task wink
</edit>

<mod>Edited in double post, please use edit to add things. You can used the [quote="PersonBeingQuoted"] [/quote] tags to add a quote. dragon</mod>

Winter Depths
Prince of Winter.
Dream Deity
Winter Depths has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 24

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

for some reason, nightmares get me lucid really easily.
Before i learned all about the lucid stuff, whenever i would have a nightmare i would realise this is a dream and wake myself up! I didn't know i could do things,or change the dream, i was just to scared i would shut my eyes and when they opened i would be in my room again! Now that i look back on this I get really mad because i havent had a nightmare since! grrr

Lucidity_Master
Dream Diety
cookie lover
LD count: At Will
Location: Probably the Golf Course...or maybe the Lucid Crossroads

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008  Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not that WILD makes it harder to become lucid, it's just that from what I've heard, WILDs can be less stable than DILDs generally are.

Hmm, thats exactly contrary to my experience and understanding. It seems to me that DILD's tend to start a little foggy because you realize your dreaming in he dream and the level of that awareness various. In a WILD you fall asleep consciously and as a result maintain the same awareness that you have when you were awake. Consequently, you enter the dream state with absolute awareness that its a dream.

print