Electronic Lucidity Training anyone?

mindmodulations.com/prodthou.html

You’ve got to see this.

Be advised that the above link is an advertisement for a biofeedback gaming device, and has nothing to do with Lucid Dreaming induction.

I disagree. You could use it to measure the “mental state” of someone while they slept and see whether a distinct pattern was measurable during REM sleep. If so, you could use the ThoughtStream in a similar way to a Novadreamer. Wear it while you sleep, with the pc monitoring the feedback and making a sound when the REM sleep pattern is detected. This sound could be picked up by the dreamer and used a reality check cue.

The site included instructions on writing code for the device, so it would be easy enough to write your own program to do just this, assuming you can program.

This is exactly why I’ve stayed away for a while. :sad:

I just wanted to show a cool website that I found that had developed a new consciousness enhancement tool.

Thanks MM

This thing is much cheaper than the novaDreamer!
ThoughtStream™ = $139.95
NovaDreamer® = Member ($220) Retail 3-yr warranty ($325)

I was thinking a good electric method to increase the number of lucid dreams might involve electronarcosis (also called electrosleep, CES, and a thousand other names). In short, electrodes are placed on each ear and a small current is pumped through the brain. Eek! Most of the devices use a rectangular waveform, at a variable amplitude and frequency. I was thinking that a device for lucidity would work by first recording the vibrations felt with WILD, and using that waveform rather than a square wave (which is rather arbitrary). Maybe vibrations are the brain’s signal to shut down the rest of the body, and simply reproducing the same waveform might be enough to trigger a WILD.

Unrelated. Another idea I had is to place 16 electrodes or so in a circle around your eye, then periodically check the potential difference between every combination of electrodes. This wouldn’t work with REM sleep (or at least it’d be more difficult), but if there’s some form of electric feedback into the eyes during dreams, you might be able to reconstitute a black and white image from the data… I was thinking 16 layers would be produced, by drawing shaded triangles between a starting point for each layer, and every other point on the electrode rim. The layers would then be blended together to form a final, composite image. I don’t know if the potential levels would actually correspond to the dream shapes one is seeing, but it might be fun to try. If they do, reconstitution should be possible (though the blurriness of the result would depend on the number of electrodes used).

Oh, yeah…

So it should be possible to use that device to find REM periods during sleep, though I personally think we dream just as much during NREM sleep… A better use of it might be in computerized hypnosis, wherein the Galvanic Skin Response (what I believe the device measures) is used to detect when a person has reached a state, open to suggestion.

I lost u a long time ago, but hey, if you got it to work, send me a copy of the schematics so I can build me one. :smile:

I still have the schematics of a Nova-dreamer-alike-device. Still had no time to try it out though. And I have to order a IR sensor first…

But if I finally manage to build one "ll let you all know… :wink:

that would be nice. Just send me the schematics to lucid@home.no

Hi Djem,

Coming your way! :smile:

Why isn’t there a device that you can slip over your finger that will viberate when you are dreaming?? :eek:

I agree with Dunlar that we probably dream in slightly different fashions throughout sleep. In fact I would guess that whatever is behind dreaming is something that goes on 24hrs a day but only manifests as “dreams” when asleep. LDing, though, I think requires the presence of mind that can only be focussed during REM. Your brain is just too scattered during NREM, IMHO.

Oldskull, there still has to be something that detects the REM state. Since by definition that’s rapid eye movement the most obvious way to detect it is watching eye movement.

Actually LaBerge(and others) apparently started off with hand-shock cues but decided to abandon them for light/sound cues. I think it had to do with physical cues are more likely to actually wake you than manifest in the dream.[/b]

Thanks for the schematics
This thing is awesome. Easy to build and cheap parts. Just one thing. I can’t find that OPB706A, but I have found some other (OPB 610,815,880,606,607,745,745W, and some higher) so if you got some of the values of the 706A I might find one that fits. (current, voltage and focus range) That would be nice. Thanks for letting me know about the errors. I’m gonna put this thing out on the net soon (if you don’t mind) at home.no/lucid/link.htm

I forgot to tell, that transistor is replaseble. the 2N2222 costs alot. but you can easy get it to work with a cheaper transitor. I think I even can design my own with even cheaper parts. I’ll see what I come up with. I got some problems with my FTP client, so the file isn’t comming up until tomorrow 22. of jun.

Well, I don’t mind… It’s not mine. I found it after a tip from Brainhacker…
But I guess it’s okay with the original owner as long as you keep the disclaimer stuff intact :wink:

That is a good idea! Redesign/improve the thing and put it online! :smile:

At the Dutch version of this forum I found this link:
https://www.getlucid.com/
It’s a commercial site about a Novadreamer-alike device

Just like the schematics it is called dreamweaver…
Same thing?

this week I have been on a vacation, and that made me think. The first thing is that I got no money for experimenting with making an advance LD device, so I started to think about a easier solution where the glasses are timed insted of detecting eye motion. The device I came up with cost around 3$ whitout batteries. The first thing U do is to get U one of thease alarmclocks that makes a biping sound (like bipbipbipbip - bipbipbipbip). U’ll find them very cheap at IKEA or any other cheap stores, you only need a very simple one. The next thing U do is to get hold on some galsses with plastic glas that U can make holes in, and some LEDs in whatever color (the small lights that uses very litle curent at 2.5V). I don’t know how many U can use since I have only tried whit one (I have not build the glasses yet). but if I’m guessing rigth U can use as many as U want to. I don’t know how U can get those, but I got them from some broken device, but U can buy them or get them from your local school. And U need 2 batteries 1.2-1.5V in the same size as the clock uses.

Know U have to swich the sounding alarm with the LEDs. Since the alarm only gets 1.2-1.5V U would usaly need a transitor so it could give the LEDs more voltage from another source whit this voltage as a switch. But this is too expencive and I would have to order a transistor and that would take time. So instead of the transistor I do as easy as serial conects a battery between the LEDs and the clock. To conect the LEDs to the clock U would have to open the clock and find the beeper. When U find this U would have to find out how it is connected. In the IKEA clock it was connected whit two wires, black and red, the red are then +, but in some clocks it migth be conected direct to the curcit board, if thats so U would have to use the solder iron to replace the beeper whit a cable and U would have to find out where the + is. In the first case whit to wires U can just rip/cut of the bepper from the wires and make a hole in the casie so U can get them outside. Connect a battery to the red wire whit the - side. From the + side of the battery and the - wire U connect a cable to the LEDs that U put in the glasses.

Know U just have to calculate when U are in a REM period (REM every 90 min) and set the alarm to that time. When the alarmclock gets to that point the LEDs will start blinking and U will notice this in your dreem (hopefuly) as a blinking light form whatever in your dreem. If you don’t U migth wanna connect more LEDs in the glasses. If U wake up U migth wanna take some out.

I will publish some drawings and some more detailed info on how to build it at my home page as soon as I have build it myself (I have tested everything, so it will work, If U get problems when using a very long cable U might insert another battery in serial whit the other, but be carefull since it can destroy the LEDs)

I think I will call this device timed-eye-flasher (TEF)
DJem

I forgot to say:
To use this as a inducing thing and not as a dream altering divice, U would have to set your intention to remebering to know that U are dreaming when U see this specific blinking. Like a MILD methode. If U get some info an the novadreamer U can use that.

Very cool Djem!

Thanks for sharing :smile: