Questions from a newbie

Hello

This is obviously my first time posting here, and I’m sorta new to all this LDing stuff. I find it extremely intresting and hope to experience it sometime soon. I have a few questions, though.

How clear are LDs? Are they as clear as real life? I find my dreams to be very… I guess it could be described as blurry, maybe. Not detailed and very fragmented. Faces are hard to make out and sound is pretty much non existant. It’s like this right when I wake up. I’ve been meaning to start a Dreamjournal soon, that may help.

Also, how does one in his dream suddenly realize that he is dreaming. I mean, even if you realize that you are in a dream, how do you stop it and take control?

I guess I have a lot to learn. Any answers and help is appreciated. Thanks

Clarity and control are two different areas to increase ones skill in… If you catch my drift,

Personally I’ve always put memory on the side for more intense LD experimentation so although I LD every night the dreams are often blurry unless I’ve focused on clarity.

Hi
Many people say that their LDs feel as real as real life,my own ones usually don´t.I don´t know what you lucid dreams will be like,but i am sure you will find out
And the thing about stopping your dream… you don´t stop it (well,you can,but who wants to stop his own dreams?).You don´t have to do anything,the moment you realize that you are dreaming you are simply standing in the dreamworld.You can decide what you want to do,just like IRL.And if you don´t make any decisions,you won´t do anything (just like IRL…)
Controling not just yourself but the whole dream is a bit harder,though,but don´t worry about that.First learn to walk,then you can ask how to fly :wink:
I hope you read through this site (especially the “how” section) cause you will find lots of useful information in here.And watch out for the little “search” button above,lots of questions are already answered somewhere :sigh:
good luck
Traumgänger

sounds like you should start keeping a dreamdiary. i just started one myself a few weeks ago, and now i’m remembering 2-3 dreams a night with more clarity than ever before.

Speaking personally I have noticed that there are levels of lucidity and this can have an effect on how clear things are. In my own experience, I have had four lucid dreams to date (in about a year and a half of reading about them and about ten months to a year of actually trying to have them)… three of them were on a pretty low level and my last one was much better.
In the first three, things were not much clearer than my normal dreams. I knew I was dreaming but I kept falling in and out of my lucid state. I would know I was dreaming then I would go along with the dream and then have to pull myself back to lucidity when I felt it start to slip. All three of these were pretty short. The LD that I had last night is the strongest that I have had and the most stable but it still was not as clear as waking life. But I could touch things and feel texture and get tastes… they just weren’t that strong. Though I think I am getting there. Practice makes perfect right?
The Tibetans believe that when you are in your dream body, and aware of it, your sensory perception is seven times as strong as that in your physical body. If thats true there are some good things in store.

Hi
Just thought about it again.I think there are two different things that we mix in one word “lucidity”:

1.How vivid the dream is,how strong your perception

2.The awareness that you are dreaming,

Seems that this goes often hand in hand,but to me not.Sometimes i am absolutely aware that i am dreaming (and don´t slip back into dream behaviour) but still my dream is kinda blurry.
And there are NLDs and LDs with low awareness that can feel extremely real and vivid (although i don´t have this often)

Traumgänger

Well the better you become at LDing the clearer it is. Don’t worry about how clear it is or the other stuff yet :dozing: , now just worry about what you can do to get there. Having a lot of worries on your mind before you go to bed can make you dream about them, and that’s a distration to me. Go and read my other posts on this site, erspecially “A few tips on relizing lucidity.” I think that’s the name , if not just look for my posts. I not asking you to reply to them or anything (but if it helps ) just hope you find it useful. Good luck :cool:

Just a thought- clarity doesnt have to be a question of what level your lds are.It can be simply a matter of recall.
But sure it does play a role-the more awreness you have the more vivid memories of it:)

Traum wrote: “Controling not just yourself but the whole dream is a bit harder,though,but don´t worry about that.First learn to walk,then you can ask how to fly”
Agree to the last part:)But what im happy for the most theres no thing like controlling the whole dream.there is allways an element of suprise,never know whats gonna happen next…this world is full of mysteries:)
Let me bring back my favourite description of difference between non lds and lds-
Normal dream can be compared to sailing in a boat when youre poor sailor.The wind and the water plays with you,fools you,controls you. When lding youre experienced sailor…you know how to get from A to B,how to avoid dangerous spots…so on…but still-you`re far from controlling forces of nature.The wind blows and water still tries to trick you.
Keep trying:)

Nice metapher Jack,i agree on this :smile:

Traumgänger

My lucid dreams vary from being extremely clear and lifelike (fairly rare) to blurrier and less colorful than real life (most of the time) to extremely tenuous (usually when I’m about to wake up). It’s usually like you’re in another reality. You can see stuff all around you, it’s three-dimensional, you can feel stuff, and you can even taste stuff. It’s not like visualization, where you see faded, two-dimensional images.

As to how you can realize you’re dreaming - I didn’t know before my first one. It’s something you really have to experience to understand. It’s just like, you do it. You’re going along, not questioning anything, and then suddenly you see something that can’t be right. You realize that you must be dreaming - that all this realistic stuff around you, which you believed was real just a moment ago, is actually a figment of your imagination. The first time you become lucid is an incredible feeling that’s very hard to describe.

Gaining control is another thing. It’s usually just willing and concentrating. Sometimes it might not work, but most of the time it does.

That really varies for me, sometime they are so blurry that i can hardly see anything, other times its as clear as real life, sometimes even seem more clearer for some reason… those vivid ones you can actually smell the moist of the air, feel the heat from the sun, feel rain…

I have heard voice commands like: Increase clarity now! Increases clarity/vividness…

Anyway it varies from dream to dream…

There seems to be a little confusion about what defines a Lucid Dream.

Basically, if you have control over yourself, and are aware that you are dreaming, then you are having a Lucid Dream. This does not necessarily mean that your vision is going to suddenly sharpen, or you will have the ability to summon objects as you desire.

One thing I discovered when I was beginning this practise, is that with concentration you can often increase your vision, or other senses.

In fact, the first few times I became lucid all I did was walk up to every wall and object, getting as close as I can to it and just examining the amazing detail and stability everything had to it.

On the other hand, sometimes I like to just forget where I am, and engage in some deep thought. Doing this often results in the clarity of vision decreasing a bit. Just like RL, it depends where you focus your concentration.

There are a lot of resources availbale that elaborate a little more on the control that you can give yourself, but the main thing is of course just to keep trying.

Good luck! :content: