The Repetition Technique

Thanks Gjedde (Thomas)! :ok:
Interesting idea that of the eyes tech!

Didnt know if i ever welcomed you…so…WELCOME GJEDDE! :wink:

Greetz,
Jeff

Indeed a nice name Daysong. Nice avatar also, you like horses?
In Case i forgot to welcome you ever Daysong…WELCOME at the forum! :wave:

Greetz,
Jeff

Someday, Gjedde, I’m going to get the time to test all of these marvelous ideas you have. This’d be, what?

1. Look at hands for 10 minutes before going to sleep.
  2. At even intervals while going to sleep, touch my fingers together with my dream counting, and on odd intervals open my eyes and count my fingers.
  3. WBTB
  4. Rinse and repeat.

Yes, Gjedde, that clears it up :grin: So it’s a lot like practicing RCs during the day, but you make it a habit before going to sleep instead. I won’t go any further, in case I confuse myself again… :wink:

Thanks for the compliments, guys :content: Yep, Jeff, I love horses… Especially Saddlebreds!

/d.s

Jeff, Lucid Moderator:

Thanks a lot! I’m very glad to be here! Cool place :smile:

Dayson:

I also reality check by counting my fingers along the day. But yes, I wake up at night (then I’m closer to the dream state, when going back to bed) and make a lot of reality checks then, so I get into the momentary habit/flow of reality checking.

And ESPECIALLY when I’m back in bed (very important) I reality check, while still allowing myself to grow more and more tired and - at a natural point - falling asleep.

Update:

I’m still very interested in finding out, what exactly is working so superb, when I’m doing this (the LD-score is almost 100%).

Is it because:

• (By opening my eyes at certain intervals) I keep waking my brain up a little bit while still allowing myself to fall asleep. Of course I only wake/“arouse” myself a very little bit (at these intervals), because else I wouldn’t be able to fall asleep after all!

• I make a mental activity (like the counting)

• I make a physical activity moving my hands up in front of my eyes, which I open.

• Would it be possible if I made a reality check which only required mental efforts - like the: “Why am I here?” RC. Or do the RC need to have an element of sensory representation attached to it (seeing my hands).

• Or is it, as it seems on the surface, solely because of the basic idea behind a RC - reflecting upon whether you are dreaming or not

???

Question, questions, question ???
Unanswered, unanswered, unanswered !!!

Damn!

At least, the “counting fingers”-RC does fullfill all of these! So yes, whether what is at work, the “counting fingers”-RC does fullfill it. But I still want to find out EXACTLY what it is. Because then I’m able to remove the unnecessary elements - am I able to make myself clear??? I hope you understand me.

The counting fingers RC also fullfil other things:

• It is EXTREMELY easy to perform!
  • You can always in a dream perform it!

Regards,
Thomas

Perhaps over a series of a week or so, you could do one or two elements at a time, I.e. move your hands in front of your face, but nothing else, or just open your eyes, or do RCs, etc. Or maybe we should just stick to what works. :slight_smile:

One minor problem: I can’t see my fingers in the dark! :bored:

It was assumed in the instructions that you would have previously covered your hands in glow-in-the-dark paint before going to bed. :smile:

Hmm … I gotta try this one…
And with regards to not being able to see your fingers in the dark, perhaps that doesn’t kill the RC, because if you were dreaming, you would probably see your hand anyway or something else strange, don’t you think?

Peace,
Sruthan

Hey! I noticed this topic after I had written my bit about the arm-upright technique, and I decided to give it a try!

I didn’t actually have a ludic dream, but an interesting thing happened…

I had woken up after about 5 hours of sleep, and I lay on my side, with my hand positioned permenantly in front of me. I could see it because it was starting to get slightly light by then.

I opened my eyes whenever I remembered, and counted my fingers. Then an interesting thing happened. I suddenly had a very short dream about being stung on the hand by wasp or bee. Then, right at the end, at the borderline between the dream ending and me being concious again, I was totally aware that it was a dream, but then it all ended and I suddenly opened my eyes again and saw my fingers again.

I was really tired by that point and went fully to sleep though…

But that was quite interesting, that although I didn’t actually have a lucid, something strange happened, so it could be an indication that I might be on the right track yeah?

:happy:

Ed.

P.S. I really like this idea.

Yes Ed…just some more training and you take your conscious with you in that dream. :wink:
But indeed it is a good sign!
I call this level…the training hours of recognision :wink:

Jeff

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement Jeff, my ld4all moderator buddy! :happy:

Ed.

Ed Case:

You bet you’re on the right track! YEAH!!!
Way to go!

You have done exactly what I have been trying to describe, and what I have done to give myself so many LD’s!

Congratulations!

Please keep up trying the technique out! It’s really powerful in my experience!

Thomas

Well, let’s see. I’ve eaten a lot of popcorn, I borrowed a book on Lucid Dreaming from the library (The Lucid Dreamer by Malcolm Godwin, the book that got me into LD to begin with) … and I will try this technique tonight. I usually wake up somehow four or five hours after I go to sleep… I don’t know why, but it’s handy. No alarm clocks. (FYI: my alarm clock is so loud and terrible it could wake up half the block). Usually I just eye the clock, turn around and go back to sleep (unless I’m going to do WBTB/MILD).

I’ll try this tonight and will report shortly. :content:

Geez… I really don’t get it. o_O I didn’t LD, at all… even though I woke up twice and did the technique until I fell back asleep, after reading the book for about 15-30 minutes. Gah… :sad:

Hello all,

I thing the above method is working because of the following:

LD is a matter of consciousness right.
So if you wake yourself up a little to count the fingers, consciousness is involved.

LD is a matter of being conscious when you are dreaming. When you repeat the counting fingers trick, consciousness will come every time you do so.

When you fall asleep you will become conscious because that is involved in the repeat sequence. This means you are conscious but you can not see your hand. (sleeping right). You see a “dream hand”. Counting does not work in dreams so you will count 6 fingers in stead of 5. Because you are conscious you realize that you must be dreaming. LD kicks in :cool_laugh:

This means the mechanism involved requires repetition of consciousness (waking your-self a little bit up) And the RC counting the fingers. This is the whole thing so I thing nothing can be left out. (At the beginning of the REM state not to forget)

I think watching the clock in stead of counting fingers works also.

(By the way, I can see my fingers in the dark, just hold them close to your face or just install a little night lamp)

Does this make any sense?

Nukem:

It makes perfekt sense :smile:

I’m so glad that you so easily have been able to explain my idea. My deepest thanks!

Yes, that technique have given me so many lucid dreams that I can’t count them. I think it works even more powerfully when you at the same time intend to remember to make that “counting-fingers”-RC in your dreams (sort of MILD). And maybe it’s different how long you need to be up in the night (WBTB).

Thomas

I think the main obstacle for me to overcome, is resisting the overwhelming urge to just give up and go to sleep. Of the two times I have tried this, I probably could have gone on to have an LD had I not given up and gone to sleep.

When I’m trying a method of WILD and I get close to the sleep state, I feel this overwhelming urge to just give in to the sleep process. Does anyone else get this? I’m sure you must do. Resisting this must be the ultimate key to having a WILD.

It’s like yoiu’re doing everything right and heading in exactly the right direction, when you are overpowered by this strong emotion of how wonderful it would be to just go to sleep.

HOWEVER, this method seams to be the one that takes me to the point of sleep the quickest. All the others (breathing, visualising, counting) seam to take a long time before I feel like I’m bordering sleep. With this one, I seam to get sleepy much quicker, maybe within about 5 minutes or something. It must be because inbetween the finger-counting I’m not actually doing anything except remembering to open my eyes and count again shortly.

It is this same thing which could be the key to this method’s success. Lack of activity interspersed with brief logical activity. This way, the lack of activity lets the body automatically go into its going-to-sleep process, but the short little moments of logical acitvity periodically restarts the concious mind.

:ok:

Ed.

Not resisting Ed, but split consciousness!
What you do and most do here is a classic wild for lucid dreamers.
And thats a trance tech…meaning what you should do is let a small part of your consciousness stay awake and a big part let fall a sleep.
That i call split consciousness…meaning your consciousness is awake as well as sleeping or falling a sleep.
Hypnosis is also a split consciousness thing as well is lucid dreaming!

Good luck :ok:

Greetz,
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

:ok: :happy:

Ed.