Advice on LD schoolproject needed

Hi
I need your advice, since I got to make a decision within the next few days.Here´s the situation:

During the next few years, I got to pass the tests that are required to succesfully finish school.At the end of the second year, I got to do another test in 5 subjects of my choice.
However, one of the 5 tests can be replaced by presenting a topic both orally and written down (you got one whole year to prepare).This subject got to be related to the one you like to replace.

The subject I like to replace is chemistry.The topic I´d like to do, of course, is lucid dreaming.To be allowed to do that, I´d got to explain what LDing has to do with both chemistry and technical stuff (Let´s just concentrate on the chemistry part, thenic isn´t that important).
So now the question:
How much does science already know about LDing? Do you think I´d be able to find something about which neurotransmitters are released in a lucid dream?
Can you think about any connection between LDing and chemistry?
Anyone got links?

hoping for some replys until monday
Traumgänger

P.S: Instead of chemistry I could also chose history, but that probably would be a lot more difficult to link

If you would choose history, you may perhaps talk about the history of the use of LDs: from shamanism, hinduism/taoism/buddhism/sufism and the attitude of the church towards dreaming over the centuries, to the upcoming of modern LD research and the upcoming of a general acceptance for these altered states of consciousness. It’s just a suggestion :smile:
Considering the chemistry of lucid dreaming: I’ve found nothing really interesting yet, only something about the neurophysiology of dreams in general:
wcu.edu/ceap/psychology/jour … c-5-00.pdf

If I’d find anything else, you’ll be the first to know :smile:

EDIT: another link: psych.ucsc.edu/dreams/TSSOD/sample.html

yeah, for history you can also mention famous LD’ers from the past

i think history is easier to link than chemistry, or you have to talk a whole lost about sleep first with brain and neurotransmitters and stuff.

i have no idea if anyone has measured yet what happens chemically in the brain when LD’ing. Maybe someone @ the lucidity institute knows.

I heard somewhere that there is more serotonin in the brain in a ND and less in an LD.At least I think it’s serotonin,it could be some other chemical.

Yeah perhaps you could make a dream-project, not just LD? (Oh pun not intended, really.) Or a sleep project?

I saw an interesting program on TV about narcolepsy and the cause of that. Some discoveries the last couple of years that started with narcholepsy research has explained why we sleep and why we are awake. It seems we are made to sleep by default unless certain chemicals are released in our brain that makes us awake.

The program went into speculating about what would be possible if you could synthesise that chemical and take it as a drug. In theory you could stay awake 24/7 without ever getting tired.

Hmm, probably you´re right, it could be better/easier to choose a “larger” topic, such as dreams or sleep in general.
I still could mention LDing somewhere…

Traumgänger

Hi Traumgänger, i have some info 4 you…shall look it up tonight…
I had to post it anyway here someday…it explains why ppl normally dont are lucid in their dreams! Its scientific info…bit hard to read lol…
But indeed very interesting, has to do with neurotransmitters in rem sleep.

Further i have been in contact with Stephen Laberge about this…
And i can give you some info about neurotransmitters along the way…

I’ll look it all up and post it!

Greetz,
Jeff

wow, great, I am looking towards it :smile:

:smile: Traumganger it was a big pile of paper i had to work through but i found the article pffewwww lol. Very glad i did!

I will read it carefully today and post it here with all i know myself about neurotransmitters in rem sleep…corelation with lds.
I also found lots of other science reports about rem sleep…very tech though.
i shall read them all today and tomorrow…and give you the links so u can find them or mail the reports to you…using my scanner…dont know how else lol if link maybe wouldnt work anymore…how ever most come from medscapes databank so those reports would still be there…

But first i have to read all and…i have also some apointments today
so i think it will be tonight but at least tomorrow, i promise!

Greetz,
Jeff

yohoooo it seems it are three great articles…very interesting indeed!
All about what happens with our consciousness info stream awake and in rem sleep… thats the main clue to lucidity! and also about the neurotransmitters change between waking and rem…
Brainhacker You love this to! :wink: you really will!

Hmmm i read them later today or tomorrow fully and post all knowledge here…and the links also…
Ehm Brainhacker when i post the links tomorrow…could you put them in the Theory of lucidity? Thx!

I shall also put some of my own experiments that have to do with it also in the post…mm well will be more work then what i thought maybe it takes 2 instead of one day traumganger hope u can still wait those 2 days…sorry :neutral: But it will be good! enough at least to give you some interesting to tell or write.
also great 4 the theory of lucidity lol other lucid dream forums lead by science persons dont have this even :wink:

OK thats it…
Jeff

Excellent Jeff, can’t barely wait :smile:

Yeah! Eat your heart out LaBerge!

:uptosomething: :devil:

BTW Traumgänger - what topic did you finally choose? :eh:

I was just told that now I don´t have any restrictions with choosing my topic anymore.
I wanted to talk about sleep in general, the cycles, the brainwaves and the hormones.

Now, I need a new plan cause I could talk about anything I like… LDs for example.On the other hand, I don´t just want to present what I know already, I also want to use the opportunity to learn new stuff.
So, probably I´ll still talk about hormones in sleep, but I want to emphasize the dream part more and talk less about how EEGs work.

Jeff, I can´t find your links anymore : (
Perhaps the post was lost during the last server crash?
Still got them handy?

About another aspect of dreams, a spiritual one, I found out about a book by Benny Thomas, called EXPLORING THE WORLD OF DREAMS. I’ve ordered it through Amazon but it hasn’t arrived yet… I think it’s interesting because it talks about dream diaries too and about how God tries to talk to us through dreams for instance.

It’s more of use to you from the historical aspect perhaps. I know you’ve chosen the chemical aspect instead. Good luck!

yes Traumganger i still got them in print as well in url lol
Will do this weekend ok? :cool:

Greetz,
Jeff

sure, I still got a year to read through them :wink:

Traumgänger

I got some links to several articles. Perhaps you find something you can use :smile:

Neurotransmitters: acm.uiuc.edu/sigbio/project/ … neuro.html
Hormones & Sleep: hghacademy.com/human-growth- … ging16.htm
Melatonin (and a bit about LDs): provide.net/~aelewis/aelp/doc-001-.htm
Lots of links to articles about neurotransmitters, neuroactive hormones,…: neurotransmitter.net/neurosignaling.html

Träumganger sadly some of the links i wanted to put here dont work anymore i could scan the prints ans sent them to you.

epub.org.br/cm/n02/mente/neuroestrut_i.htm
remfractal.mclean.org:8080/ibogaine.html

I have some medline docs also about rem sleep.

Jeff

again, thanks a lot Jeff&Mystic

Just had a short look at the melatonin link, looks very useful.
I am so happy with this project.My whole task is to read through sites that I would also read in my freetime, and do a presentation on it.And for all the fun I´ll probably get a good grade in my important final exams :smile:

tapir